2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
49 registered members (Duaner, Charles Cohen, Chrispy, Emery Wang, Chernobieff Piano, 13 invisible), 368 guests, and 469 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Why is Alkan so underrated? #2558111 07/22/16 07:05 PM
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I find profound depth and meaning in his works. I don't why he has a bad reputation.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Why is Alkan so underrated? [Re: JoelW] #2558113 07/22/16 07:29 PM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Bad reputation?? Underrated???

Hardly. He's been played and recorded by plenty of pianists, past & present, from Raymond Lewenthal, Ronald Smith, John Ogdon, Jack Gibbons to.....Marc-André Hamelin and beyond.

His eccentric life(style) and the (supposed) manner of his death may have given him a reputation for strangeness, but his music certainly doesn't drive the punters away. I remember attending a sold-out concert in which Hamelin played Alkan's Symphony. How many composers can sell out a solo concert?

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Why is Alkan so underrated? [Re: JoelW] #2558114 07/22/16 07:38 PM
pianoloverus Online Content
Online Content
I am curious about which particular pieces you find deep and meaningful.

I think the biggest problem with Alkan is that many of his pieces are about one third too long.

Another big problem is the extreme technical demands his music often makes. So many pianists either cannot play it successfully or don't think the result is worth the effort.

While much of his music is technically ingenious and original, I think it is often harmonically simple, and the melodies don't have the genius of the greatest composers.

So for me, Alkan would not be among the top 20 composers in terms of their piano music.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 07/22/16 07:38 PM.
Re: Why is Alkan so underrated? [Re: JoelW] #2558247 07/23/16 05:05 PM
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
He more or less let himself fall into obscurity by not performing or promoting himself much after Chopin's death. He was a recluse for 20-something years before he stared reappearing in public again when he was much older. he was forgotten about more or less. Honestly, his eccentricies aren't farther out there than that of other composers.

More recently, I think he actually is getting the recognition he deserves, thanks a lot to the internet, YouTube, etc. Especially since around 2013, more pianists have been recording and performing his music. It's nice to see, and it isn't slowing down.

Busoni said he was one of the five best writers for the keyboard after Beethoven up to his time, along with Chopin, Brahms, Schumann, and Liszt (he didn't count Schubert, since he died just a year after Beethoven). I agree with it; in terms of piano music, Mendelssohn, Tchaikovsky, Saint-Saens, Franck, Faure, etc. didn't have the compositional, technical, or imaginative mastery of the possibilities with the keyboard and writing for it that Alkan did.

PL, many people also complain that Schubert's piano music meanders on for too long as well, haha... Funnily enough, he is my favorite composer to play on piano (Alkan being #2).

Re: Why is Alkan so underrated? [Re: Orange Soda King] #2558270 07/23/16 07:31 PM
A
argerichfan Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King

Busoni said he was one of the five best writers for the keyboard after Beethoven up to his time, along with Chopin, Brahms, Schumann, and Liszt [...] I agree with it; in terms of piano music, Mendelssohn, Tchaikovsky, Saint-Saens, Franck, Faure, etc. didn't have the compositional, technical, or imaginative mastery of the possibilities with the keyboard and writing for it that Alkan did.

We have always agreed about Alkan, but I would be a little careful about consigning Mendelssohn, Saint-Saens, Franck and Faure to the sub-Alkan category. They wrote brilliantly and expertly for the piano, so ultimately why compare?

Alkan thrills and excites me -there is always something new to appreciate on repeated hearings- but I never hear much beneath the surface. It is very kinetic music, yet IMO, Franck probes far deeper. I wouldn't trade the two big piano triptychs for anything in Alkan, and his organ music is the greatest after Bach, ask any organist.

Jason
Re: Why is Alkan so underrated? [Re: argerichfan] #2558291 07/23/16 10:45 PM
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by argerichfan

Alkan thrills and excites me -there is always something new to appreciate on repeated hearings- but I never hear much beneath the surface. It is very kinetic music, yet IMO, Franck probes far deeper. I wouldn't trade the two big piano triptychs for anything in Alkan, and his organ music is the greatest after Bach, ask any organist.

Couldn't agree more, I don't think Alkan can measure up against him as acomposer, although his piano output is small, unfortunately frown

Re: Why is Alkan so underrated? [Re: bennevis] #2558417 07/24/16 02:12 PM
Online Content
Originally Posted by bennevis
Bad reputation?? Underrated???

Hardly. He's been played and recorded by plenty of pianists, past & present, from Raymond Lewenthal, Ronald Smith, John Ogdon, Jack Gibbons to.....Marc-André Hamelin and beyond.

His eccentric life(style) and the (supposed) manner of his death may have given him a reputation for strangeness, but his music certainly doesn't drive the punters away. I remember attending a sold-out concert in which Hamelin played Alkan's Symphony. How many composers can sell out a solo concert?
"Underrated" is a rather vague term but naming 5 pianists who perform(ed) his works a lot doesn't prove much IMO. For composers that are more popular one could name hundreds of pianists who performed their works a lot.

Many composers an sell out a solo concert and certainly do so with far more frequency than Alkan. Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Liszt, Schubert, and others would be on that list. With a composer like Chopin, there may be more all-Chopin recitals in a 6 month period than all the all-Alkan recitals in history.

Re: Why is Alkan so underrated? [Re: pianoloverus] #2558425 07/24/16 02:51 PM
B
bennevis Offline
B
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Many composers an sell out a solo concert and certainly do so with far more frequency than Alkan. Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Liszt, Schubert, and others would be on that list. With a composer like Chopin, there may be more all-Chopin recitals in a 6 month period than all the all-Alkan recitals in history.

In London, of those composers you listed, only Beethoven, Chopin and Schubert has sold out concerts in my living memory - and only if the pianists are Pollini, Pollini, and, er.....Pollini respectively. (OK, Uchida for Schubert also, and Zimerman for Chopin).

Considering that Alkan is not up to the quality of many other French composers (an all-Fauré concert would empty a hall) - and even Saint-Saëns is a superior composer, but far fewer pianists play his solo piano music than Alkan's -, I'd say that Alkan punches well above his weight with the general classical music public........

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Why is Alkan so underrated? [Re: pianoloverus] #2558473 07/24/16 07:55 PM
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member

This is one of the best ones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUW2bqrbunY

There is such a wealth of originality in this piece. I never fail to find something new when I return to it. The theme at 1:14 is particularly leet, and the whole thing comes together at the end with an electrifying coda. I actually played this at my state fair's youth competition in 2008 and won.

Re: Why is Alkan so underrated? [Re: pianoloverus] #2558492 07/24/16 09:14 PM
A
argerichfan Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

Wow. You are so smart. Thank-you so much for your contributions. What would we ever do without you?

Jason
Re: Why is Alkan so underrated? [Re: JoelW] #2558513 07/24/16 10:56 PM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by JoelW

This is one of the best ones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUW2bqrbunY

There is such a wealth of originality in this piece.[...]

Huh? Depth? Originality? Oom-Pah, Oom-Pah, with a lot of Bang-Bang-Bang at the end. If this is one of "the best ones" Alkan is shallow, indeed!

Surely, you're joking!

You played this at age 13? You must be quite the virtuoso by now!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Why is Alkan so underrated? [Re: BruceD] #2558518 07/24/16 11:19 PM
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I'm not joking. Maybe it's just the nostalgia.

Re: Why is Alkan so underrated? [Re: JoelW] #2558525 07/24/16 11:51 PM
D
DanS Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D

While Alkan does have his moments, I think your own post answers your original question.

V i V i V i V i i i just isn't that interesting.

Re: Why is Alkan so underrated? [Re: Orange Soda King] #2558529 07/25/16 01:28 AM
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King

More recently, I think he actually is getting the recognition he deserves, thanks a lot to the internet, YouTube, etc.

... and thanks to Orange Soda King too of course!
You were actually the one who really made me curious about him and I now love him too. smile

PS: Joel, if you search in the recordings section you'll find quite a few recordings by OSK. thumb

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Re: Why is Alkan so underrated? [Re: JoelW] #2558535 07/25/16 01:42 AM
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Re: Why is Alkan so underrated? [Re: argerichfan] #2558621 07/25/16 12:21 PM
Online Content
Originally Posted by argerichfan

Wow. You are so smart. Thank-you so much for your contributions. What would we ever do without you?
Thanks so much for your gracious and characteristically unsarcastic comments! It's so nice to be appreciated by someone who can, albeit with great difficulty, understand the depth of my musical knowledge!!

Re: Why is Alkan so underrated? [Re: JoelW] #2558689 07/25/16 06:03 PM
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I've fallen into the old trap of stating my opinion as fact, my apologies, argerichfan.

Also, the wifi everywhere I've been in China so far (including the very nice hotels I've stayed in) is very slow, so I can't contribute as much or as often as I would like (to this thread, or on PW in general).

Re: Why is Alkan so underrated? [Re: JoelW] #2558736 07/25/16 10:30 PM
D
DrewBone Offline
D
I don't know about other people's reasoning for not caring for Alkan, but listening to his music gives me a headache. Why? Because in my opinion, his music is not often melodic and more often an intricately complex and abrasive collection of notes played quickly and/or without much change in dynamics.

Fingernails across a chalkboard I can deal with much more easily (shreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak!!!), LOL.

Regards,
Andy

1979 Yamaha C7D - Yamaha P115 - Korg MicroKORG synth. - Korg Kaossilator Pro synth.
Re: Why is Alkan so underrated? [Re: DanS] #2558737 07/25/16 10:35 PM
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DanS

While Alkan does have his moments, I think your own post answers your original question.

V i V i V i V i i i just isn't that interesting.

I agree. It is not my favourite piece by Alkan either.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Re: Why is Alkan so underrated? [Re: DrewBone] #2558747 07/25/16 11:47 PM
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DrewBone
I don't know about other people's reasoning for not caring for Alkan, but listening to his music gives me a headache. Why? Because in my opinion, his music is not often melodic and more often an intricately complex and abrasive collection of notes played quickly and/or without much change in dynamics.

Fingernails across a chalkboard I can deal with much more easily (shreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak!!!), LOL.

Regards,
Andy

Try the Trente Chants or Op 22 Nocturne. Alkan was full of memorable melodies!

Also which piece(s) did Joel post? I can't view YouTube here.

Last edited by Orange Soda King; 07/25/16 11:52 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
grades of pieces
by Kaori Miyamoto - 02/24/20 05:40 PM
Roland FP10 vs Yamaha125 or alternative?
by Ilin - 02/24/20 03:06 PM
Snippets of Pieces I've Been Composing
by PianoYos - 02/24/20 02:37 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,170
Posts2,929,593
Members96,104
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission