Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyers Guide
Who's Online
83 registered (Arty Movie, anamnesis, alwatson, barbaram, augustm, 36251, 20 invisible), 2061 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2558522 - 07/25/16 12:43 AM Why Do You Play The Piano?
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
Why Do You Play The Piano?

There is an article in the July/August issue of Clavier Companion (www.ClavierCompanion.com) by *Julie Jaffee Nagel.

She poses the question... Why do you play the piano?
It's an interesting article, starting with ...
"While I cannot speak for you, nor can I give definitive answers (the answers to this question are by nature complex).
i am going to address how music affects many people, how it leads to taking piano lessons, playing in recitals, and, for some, becoming professional musicians."

The article goes on to talk about ...
the power of music
First Contact (Do you remember your first contact with a piano?)

*Julie is a Ph.D, a graduate of The Juilliard school, The university of Michigan, and the Michigan Psychoanalytic Institute.
Her website is at www.julienagel.net

We aren't going to get quite that deep, or are we?

Why DO YOU Play the Piano?
So go ahead, tell us Why you play the piano, how did you first get interested, who or what inspired you, what keeps you going?

For me the answer is pretty simple.
My dad played, my older sister still does.
Dad was an iron worker by trade, worked hard building sky-scrapers, bridges, and other huge steel structures.

Yet he loved to play piano, especially pieces like the Poet & the Peasant Overture, the 1812 Overture, and novelty pieces like Tico Tico and Nola.
As a young boy I'd dance around the room while he played, caught up in the wonder of watching my dad's fingers produce great music out of our old upright piano.

And I was fascinated by the mechanics of the piano, I wanted to know what made it tick. I took the old upright piano apart, and after much struggle managed to put it back together again.

I wanted to learn to play, and chose Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata as the piece I wanted to learn. My dad showed me where middle C was on the sheet music and where it was on the piano keyboard.
Then he taught me what the tic-tac-toe sign meant on the music.
I worked from middle C counting all the lines and spaces up and down on the sheet music, and up and down on the keyboard. It took me forever, but I stuck with it and finally figured out the first movement. I still love to play that piece even today.

Then along came a new band from England, some long haired chaps called The Beatles and everything changed forever. I wanted to be in a rock band, and by the age of 15 I was in one.

I'll fill in some more later, but not it's your turn...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
ProRecord.info
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
www.linkedin.com/in/pianoworld
My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190 w/ ProRecord, Yamaha P-80, Estey 1895 Pump Organ, Harpsichord (kit), Clavichord (kit), Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
Invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2558526 - 07/25/16 12:55 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Michael Taylor Offline

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
I first took piano lessons as a child. We didn't own a piano and were too poor to buy one. For some reason, my mom let me take lessons anyway. After completing 3 or 4 lessons, I quit. 40 years later, I bought a piano and started taking lessons again.

I play because I find it relaxing. I only play for myself, no audience....I tend to choke. I'm really not that good, but I enjoy it anyway.

#2558530 - 07/25/16 02:28 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Groove On Offline
500 Post Club Member

For me it's partially about all the lovely memories I have growing up. And how the Piano was always there taking in all the emotions and moments from friends and family and giving it back for us to hear, see and share with each other. The music binds all that together in a very powerful and poignant way.

Today, it's a way of remembering all that and at the same time bringing it all forward into the now and the future.

#2558534 - 07/25/16 02:42 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
drewr Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
In the spring of 71' my parents allowed me to begin piano lessons. About 6 weeks in I had been making progress but of course the rate of progress was becoming more difficult, requiring me to devote more time into practice which I was loath to do 😟. By then school was out for the summer, lots of other activities to enjoy that did not require me to study and concentrate to be good at, like baseball .... if only piano had come so easy and naturally for me like sports. I copped out and decided to quit piano, parents would have preferred I stick with it but left the decision up to me. A day or two later a dear aunt and uncle made a visit like they did often, uncle enjoyed walking our dog and asked me to come along. Along the way he turned to me with sincere look in his eyes and said "buddy, i understand you are thinking of giving up piano but I hope you will reconsider because I am afraid that if you do quit, you will come to regret the decision when you are older. " Here I am, 45 years later, 2-plus years into beginner lessons, half way through book 2 of Bastiens' 2 book course for adult beginners, remembering uncle's words AND , every time I sit down to practice and encounter difficulty, regretting that decision long ago;argh!

I've decided that since the clock can never be turned back, I want to play piano while still physically & mentally capable and drink up the regret as much as possible along the way ! ; and at least develop enough proficiency to derive my own personal pleasure. This goal has already been reached somewhere around the 18 month point. The next goal is to continue practicing, learning and getting better so that perhaps one day I can play for the enjoyment of others. The studio where I took lessons had voluntary recital opportunity, once a month, to play for a small audience. It was around the 18 month mark I tried a recital for the first time, "Christmas student showcase". That turned out to be very rewarding, somewhat nerve wracking at the moment of my performance, and a bit like a snippet from a Seinfeld episode. Prior to the start of performances, all performers were herded into the back room to wait their turn. I was the only adult surrounded by twenty some children 7 to 15 years old, all of them a lot more nervous, anxious and fidgety than I but no doubt will be far more accomplished than I by the time they mature .... it was rewarding and educational to be in their company a brief while .... visions of Kramer in Kar-a-tay, but I kinda caught the performer bug, did showcase 6 months in a row.

Edited by drewrst (07/25/16 02:46 AM)

#2558539 - 07/25/16 03:41 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
PhilipInChina Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria
What else would I do with it?

#2558548 - 07/25/16 06:26 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
MacMacMac Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
I had no real exposure to the piano when young. My best friend's mother had a piano. He played cello. His brother played violin. But when I visited his home I'd do little more than a one-finger tap on the piano, trying to find a simple melody. Until my early 30's my total time at the piano might have been ten minutes.

Then my wife decided she wanted a piano. One of those used classified-ad pianos. Knowing she'd drop a hobby as quickly as she started, I bought her a $200 Casio keyboard. She gave it a go. I was not especially interested, but with actual beginner books in the house I tried too.

She gave it up, but I tinkered on. (No teacher, no lessons.) Meanwhile I took a liking to classical music (LPs and CDs), finding there art that had ever escaped my attention. Eventually I bought a used Kawai upright in 1995 and gave it some semi-serious attention. All self-taught without the benefit of any real method, and with mediocre results.

In 2008 I decided the piano maintenance was too high so I bought a Clavinova, and I gave more attention to the piano. Still no lessons, but quite a bit more commitment. Had I taken lessons I'm sure I'd have some real ability by now. But lacking such, I muddle on just for my own enjoyment. An audience of one.

The experience has been mind changing. There is more in the music than I ever knew. And there is more in me than I ever knew. Music was always right in front of my face (and ears), yet the art and the beauty had completely escaped my notice ... until I got serious with the piano. It's fun all around. I just wish I had started earlier, taken lessons, and given serious time and attention to it when young.

#2558554 - 07/25/16 07:05 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Pianoperformance Online   content

Always wanted to learn as a kid, but we couldnt afford the luxury. So i joined the school choir. I love music, in many forms. Upon major life changing event, I was reminded of my dream, here I am teacher in toil, and I am loving the expereince. Also, playing the piano has taught me much about life lessons too! Life is short, and I choose joy! With enough perseverance, and patience, the results are beautiful and enriching. I would say, nothing is ever too late to try, come back to, and anything is possible if you put in the time.
3 years of lessons, finally my chopin prelude 4 was deemed concert ready. The effort to learn, going beyond the technical challenges of a score and putting my feelings into a piece finally earned my place as a pianist.. working on a recital program for my virtual performance! I am doing this for me, and it feels great!

Edited by Pianoperformance (07/25/16 07:17 AM)

#2558560 - 07/25/16 07:28 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
guyl Offline

Loc: Montreal, Canada
It's a form of personal expression. I have been a church pianist for decades and one comment that has come back many times is that I seem to communicate my enthusiasm effectively this way. I am not the one most at ease in expressing emotion verbally, but it seems to be natural musically.

#2558563 - 07/25/16 07:41 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
bSharp[C]yclist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, California
I started playing piano and taking lessons *officially* at the age of 43, back in December 2015. My exposure to it before that was just what a girlfriend had taught me in my early twenties and some stuff from the Alfred's books.

There was always a piano in my home growing up. I never touched it. I did play trumpet, but gave that up for sports in middle school.

I've always liked the sound of a piano though. After being in school for a long time and working, I decided to do something for myself so I invested in piano lessons, thinking I'll give it a try for 6 months and see where it goes. I never imagined I would be where I'm at now and playing the things I can. It's really a lot of fun and relaxing. The only bad thing about piano is that it is taking away the time I would have normally been cycling on my bike!! Haha.

The school I'm enrolled in will be going to NYC in February to play at Carnegie Hall. I signed up for and figured I'd make a trip of it since I have family near NYC on the east coast. I think it will be a fun experience!

#2558569 - 07/25/16 08:41 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
dogperson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
There was a piano sitting in my childhood living room-- but always unplayed and no one in my household admitted to knowing how to play it. This was from a generation of 'every living room needs a piano'. There was also never any music played at home by my parents.

But somehow I knew as a preschool child that I wanted to play that piano and make my own music, so I begged for piano lessons. I remember the 'mom-lecture' before my first lesson as clearly as it was yesterday, rather than decades earlier. 'If you don't pay attention, or don't practice your teacher will not keep you as a student, as she thinks you are too young'. So, lessons began, and indeed I did practice for hours every day. I would walk through the living room, see the lonely piano sitting there and sit down for a few minutes.. which turned into a few hours. Other instruments were added as the years went on... but piano was, and is, my first love.

There was a multi-decade gap for very complicated reasons, but two years ago, I bought a new piano and again started weekly lessons. The feeling for me is like meeting a long-lost love many decades later, and finding out that you still love each other..... and filling the hours with trying to regain what was lost over the decades.

There are just few things that can compete emotionally with making your own music.

"My toy was my piano" -Alicia de Larrocha
"Just waiting until I can retire from my day job so my piano can be my toy"- dogperson

#2558571 - 07/25/16 09:19 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: dogperson]
newbert Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Upstate New York, USA
When I was a child, my mother played piano. I don't recall exactly how I got interested myself, but I turned out to be the only one of the 3 children to end up taking piano lessons. They lasted for about 3 years, and as I got older I got interested in other things since I was only learning music that others picked out for me (classical mostly). While playing piano faded away, my thoughts about it never really did. While most people tapped their foot to the beat of song from the radio, I often played "air-piano" with my fingers playing the melody.

Fast-forward about 50 years, and I finally had free time to myself after I retired. I already had a small MIDI keyboard that I messed around with, but decided to get more serious, so I bought a Yamaha DGX640 keyboard and got started trying to recover whatever skills I had as a child. While at first I found it frustrating, it eventually became a relaxing endeavor. I've since upgraded to a better digital piano and now to an acoustic upright. I now play only music that I want to play. While I play for myself, it would be nice for friends or family to ask me to play something for them once in awhile - but it never happens. frown I'd love to reach the point where I could occasionally play at senior centers, nursing homes, etc.

I have no one to share my interest in piano, so I'm very happy to have found Piano World.

I feel that I've reached a plateau in my abilities, and would really like to learn to play creatively from a lead sheet, so I'm once again considering taking lessons. However, I don't want lessons to create pressure to remove the relaxation I'm experiencing now, so it's a tough decision.

So, in a nutshell - playing piano is both relaxation and a mental challenge for me. As we get older and less physically active, we need something to keep our minds and free time occupied. Playing the piano fills those needs nicely as well as provides a form of expression.

#2558577 - 07/25/16 09:45 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Tonedeef Offline

I tried it on a bit of impulse in my nephews conservatory waiting for a taxi to arrive as 4 of us were going out for my 50th birthday in November last year. I bought one 2 days later and have never left it alone ever since. There is then still a possibility I suppose that I am still in 'honeymoon phase' and still a bit giddy by the wonder of it all. I very much doubt this though. To be perfectly honest I would rather play than eat. So in answer to your question why do I play piano? My answer is not meant to be cute or clever it is a mere question of my own which is: How could I not? The question that really annoys the heck out me is why on earth did I leave it so long to get started? I have wasted all of my misspent youth drinking , chasing women and generally being a bit of a delinquent.

#2558578 - 07/25/16 09:58 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
Why do I play the piano? That question is much harder to answer than it should be. I play the piano because I can't imagine not playing the piano.

I had always wanted to play the piano, but never had as a child. I had played clarinet and classical folk and rock guitar at various points up through my early 20s. I never got far with the guitar and generally started and stopped all the time. One day, a friend of a friend, upon hearing of my life-long interest in piano, decided to lend me her very high quality Yamaha (weighted keys etc) stage piano. What a gift that was. I was 30 years old. I taught myself how to read bass clef, poked my way through some easy score books and I was hooked. After struggling with classical guitar music, the piano seemed so easy (little did I know!)

In a few months, I bought my own piano (a digital) and started lessons. A year later I upgraded to an acoustic, which I had for 9 years (until we returned to the states, oddly, you can't take an acoustic piano on an airplane as a carry-on...)

I have played almost continuously since starting, except for one 6-month period right after we returned to the states when I didn't have a piano. That period erased all doubt (if I ever had any) that I would always play the piano, that the piano would always be a part of my life. I got my second digital after that, and now, after 7 years of digital-only, I have an acoustic again. Having two pianos in the house (as humble as they are) makes me feel like the luckiest person the planet, a feeling of joy I would have never expected.

I play the piano because I love to play, and I love piano music. And somehow, inexplicably, I think the piano loves me in return.

#2558590 - 07/25/16 10:52 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
It's one of the truest ways I can express myself.

#2558597 - 07/25/16 11:17 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Michael Taylor]
Lee Ann Offline

Loc: Central Florida
Originally Posted By Michael Taylor

I play because I find it relaxing. I only play for myself, no audience....I tend to choke. I'm really not that good, but I enjoy it anyway.

I can barely play in front of anyone too....and if I do, I mess up constantly because I'm so self conscious. But don't say you are not that good....(I am trying to tell myself to stop this too), because all of us are at different levels, but that doesn't make you not good. smile

#2558599 - 07/25/16 11:40 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Farmerjones Offline

Loc: Midwest USA
Purely curiosity. I certainly took the long way around. I've played banjer and guitar most of my adult life. 2003 (@40)I took up violin/fiddle. Mandolin a few weeks later, and learned them concurrently. 2013 (@50) I investigated piano. There was enough musical ground work laid prior, to where piano fit easily. It's nice to have the many voices to choose from. But more than that, it has confirmed how I learn is right for myself.

#2558600 - 07/25/16 11:41 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Bsw Offline

Loc: Florida, United States
Why do I play piano? As a child I had friends who played piano and was fascinated. We did not have the finances needed to purchase a piano or pay for lessons. So I took clarinet through high school. Many many years later a friend got a used piano off of crags list and started lessons. Got me thinking, am I too old? But why not give it a try. Not trusting craigs list(heard some horror stories) I went to a local piano store and purchased an upright. Had a bad experience with a teacher and found a new one.

So why do I play, badly? Because it brings me so much pleasure. So enjoyable to hear a piece come together. I will probably never go beyond beginner, but I hear the songs inside me and it makes me happy!

Thanks for the question and making me think about it.
Alfred's Adult All-In-One

#2558607 - 07/25/16 12:30 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
Neither of my parents were musical at all. Yet, they were determined that we kids play the piano. My sister, three years older than me, started first. It was assumed that I would start lessons when I was 5. I hated practicing. Never really played well as a kid. Dropped it after High School. Yet years later, I started learning pieces on my own. I discovered I did love the instrument! I was an avid listener of classical music. The more I heard, the more I wanted to play. I really didn't restart lessons until I was 50. I was pushed too hard and dropped it again. Now, with my present teacher, I am enjoying lessons and playing more than I ever have my entire life. I can't imagine not having piano in my life.

#2558615 - 07/25/16 01:04 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: dynamobt]
peterws Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
My parents thought I might be a prodigy because I played tunes both hands when I was 4, without a teacher, or music.

They were wrong. First few lessons with a respected local teacher and that was it. Too young. . .it involved a bus trip, by myself. At 4. . .haha

Hated subsequent lessons, years later. And when my old teacher died. . .Ill not go there. . .but I had learned music. Might not have liked it muvh, but " Forgotten Dreams" will inspire nobody with red blood in their veins.

I have made money playing, many did years ago. But it was and is, still fun!

Edited by peterws (07/25/16 01:05 PM)

""

#2558630 - 07/25/16 01:56 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
hreichgott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
Can't not, so found a way to make a life doing it!

Working on:
Beethoven, Diabelli Variations
Barber, Souvenirs
Mozart, Magic Flute (piano/celesta part)
Stravinsky, Symphony of Psalms, arranging accompaniment for four hands

I love Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and new music

#2558642 - 07/25/16 03:23 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
RaggedKeyPresser Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Orig. land of Svear&Götar
I still can't play it, but I made a commitment to keep on trying.
Hoping to graduate well within two years of study. Now at #71 of Opus 599 and behind schedule.

#2558667 - 07/25/16 05:20 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Bosendorff Offline
500 Post Club Member

I play music and piano simply because it is vital for me.

I really like to revive the thoughts/feelings of the great composers and (if not playing alone) transmit their music to others. Sometimes, playing helps me forget about bad stuff but it can also be to celebrate the present moment. It's also fun to play any style, experiment/improvise, use other keyboard instruments, tuning and regulate my own piano and when unable to play reading about composers, instruments, etc.

Dampp Chaser electronic controller

#2558674 - 07/25/16 05:48 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Goof Offline

Loc: UK
After WW 2, when my Dad went back to being a school head in Rhodesia ( remember it ), he found an old piano for sale and I started lessons aged ten, my teacher had a charming daughter! My mother could play and encouraged me. I carried on-and-off with lessons untill aged sixteen, then I and my friends still kept on playing - hits like Buttons and Bows, and Nola.
When I had my two children I made certain they had lessons, unfortunately they only told me when grown up that their lady teacher used a ruler to smack their knuckles ! They do have pianos but I gather they and their children seldom play.

However one daughter has daughter who is a professional ballerina - music never really left !
Now at eighty I like the challenge of learning a new piece (e.g. an easy Mozart ) and relearning old pieces - amazing how one never really forgets.
Unfortunately being mechanically minded I'm inclined to spend too much time with my piano in pieces !

#2558686 - 07/25/16 06:51 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
JohnSprung Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Reseda, California

I always try to understand the inner workings of everything I like or need. I think it may have started in the 1960's with the Idiot Guide VW book. I was rebuilding my own engines. I do the same with houses, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, etc. Back in the DOS days, I wrote assembly language on the PC.

Since I've always loved the popular music of the first half of the 20th century, the obvious thing to do beyond listening of course is to play it.

Playing keyboards is a great way to get much deeper into the music. Mere listening doesn't nearly use your full brain capacity. But playing takes all of mine and much more..... ;-)

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

#2558691 - 07/25/16 07:08 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
ChatNoir Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Encino, California
I grew up on a little island off the west coast of Norway. We had no electric power, no cars, and, of course, no television. Just a battery radio that was reserved for the weather forecast and the news. But in the living room was an old piano that my mother, and sometimes my father, would play. Neither of them were accomplished musicians, but the sound of piano music in the house was always welcome, and I learned to sing many an old operetta song in German long before I actually learned the language. During the summertime, my aunt from the city would visit, and she was an accomplished player and entertained us with Chopin, Beethoven, Schubert et al.
At age 11, my mother decided that she would teach me how to play after struggling to teach my sister with no success. I loved it from day one, but hated being told what to do and how to do it from my mother. She left me alone and only came to my rescue when I was absolutely stuck. For two years I hammered on the old Brödrene Hals piano, and then I had to leave home to attend high school. From now on, practicing was limited to the weekends when I was home. After two years, I had to go even farther away for senior high school, and practicing became even more sporadic. There was an old piano in the school building, but it was not much fun sitting there all alone at night struggling through pieces that were much to difficult for my fingers.
After school, I started my career in the hospitality industry, and it was not until I was 28 years of age and moved to California that I got my own house with my own piano. From now on I would practice every day, something I still do. I cannot imagine a day without sitting down to the keyboard of my lovely Estonia and play something. It is my dearest hobby next to gardening, and I am sure the grand old masters forgive me for hacking through their beautiful pieces and hitting enough wrong notes to write a whole concerto. The main thing is that I enjoy it tremendously.

Edited by ChatNoir (07/25/16 07:09 PM)

#2558694 - 07/25/16 07:25 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Music Me Offline

Loc: PA
Why do I play the Piano?
When I play the piano the world is perfect. I feel loved and am loved unconditionally - even when I make mistakes. My mind, heart, soul, ears and hands are in alignment. Nothing hurts, no one can hurt me. It is everything I am and means everything to me.

I have been musical since I heard "I want to hold your hand" in the first grade. I knew I would be a musician. At the age of ten, I got an electric guitar for Christmas, my twin sister got the Emenee Electric Piano Organ - ironically, years later, she is the guitar player (singer songwriter Lili Anel) and I'm the piano player. When I was a freshman in High School, my Grandmother was who helped me decide to study music. She gave my mother her bank pass book and told her to buy me a steinway. She wanted me to have the best. On the day she did this, we had a fire. My grandmother passed from smoke inhalation. My mother didn't tell me any of this until almost nine months later, after we relocated and she bought me a Baldwin upright with some of the insurance money. I feel I honor her every time I sit and play. My mother also played the piano and was classically trained. She knew what it meant to me.

I went on to study music. I was 15 years old when I started to formally study piano. To say I loved it is not
enough. I progressed very quickly. I went on to get my Bachelor's degree in Music with Piano. My wildest dream was to score films. I did it once and actually got paid for it. I performed professionally with my sister for many years.

I am nine months from retiring from my career in Law Enforcement. I will be relocating to the area of Rehoboth Beach in Delaware. My beautiful incredibly sounding Cunningham Parlour Grand will be moved to my home after it is built. Along with my Yamaha NU1, which has given me much joy and satisfaction.

I am infinitely grateful for having studied (and still do) and loved the piano. Unlike the human ones, this romance will last forever.

#2558701 - 07/25/16 07:57 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
bennevis Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Why do I play the piano? Because it's there (as Mallory would say), and I can (or, I think I can, which amounts to the same thing wink ).

But as to how I came to play the piano at all, it was an accident of fate, like so many good things that's happened in my life. My uncle was musical, his children all played, and my non-musical parents couldn't bear to be left behind pianoless, so that's how a cheap little upright arrived in the family home, and us kids (my brother and I, later my two sisters) were started on lessons with a young teacher who'd never taught anyone before.

As to why I kept at it through thick & thin while my siblings all dropped out, it was partly because I never cared to follow the crowd. My first teacher (the one who'd never taught before) had imbued me with a love of classical music, and it didn't bother me that I knew no-one else who did. My school friends could listen to Deep Purple (or whatever deep color), and play their air guitars; I'd listen to Beethoven symphonies, and play Mozart on a real piano instead grin. I must seemed like an unusual kid to others, but when I was sent halfway around the world to continue my high school education, I found kindred spirits, and my piano playing went from strength to strength (or as much strength as my total lack of musical talent would allow).

Love of music and the 'classical' piano repertoire got me to a reasonable skill set (because practicing was enjoyable & fun, and I loved discovering new pieces, so I spent most of my free time on the piano), but it was never going to be a career. Vissi d'arte might be fine for Floria, but reality kicked in for me early on - not least because there were plenty of talented students around, some of whom gave school concerts, which I never could do - so I settled for a 'proper job' and kept my piano playing as a hobby.

Latterly, I've been playing regularly in public, and my proselytizing efforts on behalf of classical music and the piano have gathered fruit. In my twilight years, I've found a way to repay my first teacher, who started me on this amazing path all those years ago......

#2558716 - 07/25/16 09:18 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
pianoMom2006 Offline

Bennevis- Love your last post. So nice and inspiring.

#2558741 - 07/25/16 11:49 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Music Me]
Ralphiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Music Me
At the age of ten, I got an electric guitar for Christmas, my twin sister got the Emenee Electric Piano Organ

Lovely story, and a nice memory for me! Do you remember the Emenee jingle?

"Jumpin' Jimminy, it's by Emenee!"

I hadn't thought of that one in years. smile

Casio Privia PX-760
Pianoteq Stage
Pianist since April, 2015

#2558752 - 07/26/16 01:49 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
AstroEd Offline

At this time I do not know how to play and at 51 years old I hope I am not too old to learn to play well enough for my own enjoyment, I have no asperations to join a band or have a concert just love music and wish to try to make some. I just bought a Yamaha Clavinova CVP-709 in the hopes it will help me reduce stress and deal with my PTSD.

#2558767 - 07/26/16 04:46 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: AstroEd]
SwissMS Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Costa del Sol
Music has always been in my life, albeit in different forms. My mother told me that when she was pregnant with me, she would lie on the bed and play classical music, so that I would be able to listen to beautiful music. I have loved music my whole life.

As a small child, I thought all adults knew how to play piano, My uncles played, my Mom played a little, and my grandparents played. They mostly played by ear, so I assumed it was a natural skill.

I took ballet lessons as a child, and enjoyed dance as well. Then something special happened. We bought a piano. I still remember when my Mom had an old "upright grand" delivered when I was eight years old. I loved that piano and spent hours at it. I had a teacher that gave me a good start on piano, though she was a very scary, authoritarian with a ruler! Still, I loved piano and tried to do my best. Then, my family moved to a small town without a piano teacher. I continued to play everyday until I went to college, but I no longer had any guidance. When I was in college, I remember standing outside the practice rooms at UMC, wishing I could go in and play!

Life intervened for 30 years. I got married, had a career, but I never forgot my love of piano. Another passion in my life led me back to it. I owned horses growing up, and as an adult I rode and showed dressage horses. I began doing my own choreography for freestyle, which is dressage routines set to music. It was a perfect melding of my love of dance, music, and horses. My husband suggested I relearn piano, and do my own music for the dance. So we purchased a keyboard and I rediscovered piano. Six months later I purchased a M&H BB, and started lessons. I practiced every available minute.

In 2005 I developed MS, and could no longer ride horses. The piano became therapy for me. I had severe tremors and in my legs and hands, and playing piano retrained my neural pathways, eliminating the tremors in my hands. Piano has become my sanctuary and my therapist. I no longer believe that I have any limitations that I cannot overcome. It soothes the body and soul, and brightens my spirits everyday. It gives me continuous goals to work toward, and self assurance. It has brought me friends who share my passion for piano, both live and virtual (PianoWorld). At this point in my life, I cannot imagine not playing piano!

My YouTube Channel

#2558784 - 07/26/16 06:12 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
earlofmar Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
A couple of things always intrigued me about pianists, first how they could play with two hands each doing something different and not even watching what they were doing, were they wired differently to me? The second was most of them seemed to sight read which seemed like some sort of dark art passed down from master to student.

I decided nearly four years ago to buy a digital piano to find out what it was all about. It made perfect sense as I was nearing retirement and knew I would have to substitute a work addiction for something different. I had pottered about with acoustic guitars since my youth, just as a relaxation, but I decided a complete restart of my musical education following a traditional method was how I should proceed. Incidentally when I first started I could not bear to listen to classical solo pianists and I thought Chopin was overrated. Last year while in Paris for a couple of days the only thing I wanted to do was visit his grave and museum, how things have changed. In the few years since starting I have found out the hardship of trying to learn an instrument to a high degree can be, but every day is a joy in exploration that is most fulfilling.

13x

#2558828 - 07/26/16 10:11 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: earlofmar]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
I play because it brings me joy. Some on the forum have cats. Many cats like to be scratched on the head, or under the chin. The cat will often close its eyes and purr in contentment. Its like that with piano, when I get it just so, even at my still beginner level.

I got started by tinkering with a tablet app, where a person presses the screen to sound notes. I enjoyed that so much, I decided to upgrade to a 61-key Yamaha NP11. Another year or so, and I got a Casio PX150.

I thought I would be terrible at piano. I have tinnitus, chronic hand problems, difficulty with rhythm and harmony. Unlike most reporting on this thread, I grew up in a home with minimal exposure to music, and it shows.

I haven't traveled very far in my four year piano journey. I tell people that I poke away at it. There are limits as to what I can do, or even attempt. Still, I have my moments, whether it be finding a good phrase while composing or performing on stage on a grand piano, there are moments that approach magic.

I find that piano tends to be a less soulful, less expressive instrument than wind instruments. Or perhaps a person needs ten or more years and/or a degree level of mastery to get to the expressive level. The trade off is complexity. A good pianist can add layers and layers that melody only instruments can only attempt with an ensemble.

#2558850 - 07/26/16 11:59 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Why does the bug bite anyone? The short answer is that I play because I can't help myself. I need it. Go figure. I loved the piano since I first saw one, as a young child... and here we are, a lifetime later.

#2558853 - 07/26/16 12:05 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Jeff Clef]
Piano World Offline

Originally Posted By Jeff Clef
Why does the bug bite anyone? The short answer is that I play because I can't help myself. I need it. Go figure. I loved the piano since I first saw one, as a young child... and here we are, a lifetime later.

Well said Jeff, that would pretty much sum my reasons up too.

I'm just one of those people who can use twenty words to say what could have been said in four :-)

- Frank B.
Piano World

#2558859 - 07/26/16 01:01 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Jim DK Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas area
I began piano lessons at age six and abandoned it at age 13 or 14 having achieved only modest success. I took lessons during one summer school in college at age 30. Now at age 73, I'm in the middle of Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course. There is some serious void time here!

I think of all the wasted years during which I might have developed a decent repertoire for my own pleasure and possibly others. Now I'm sensing a state of urgency to realize my dream of mastering some of Chopin's easier pieces, a couple of Scott Joplin's ragtimes, and some popular stuff as well.

I'm very thankful for my early opportunity to experience the piano. It benefits me to this day. Playing my piano provides a way to keep my mind engaged, to be constructive, and of course I love the sounds that can emanate from a good piano.

#2558862 - 07/26/16 01:15 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Qazsedcft Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
The better question is why didn't I play the piano for so long before taking it up?

#2558877 - 07/26/16 03:17 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Music Me Offline

Astro Ed-

Go for it! Jump in head first! You are the best person you can play for.

#2558902 - 07/26/16 05:58 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
chamberbell Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
On a social level, I love when parties gather around a piano, especially around Christmas. Such a pure form of entertainment, but I only know one person who can play and it's a friend of a friend.

On a personal level, I just love music. With the piano, you can create beautiful music will all the intricacies and layers that would normally require several musicians of relatively equal skill. That gets hard to find as you get older for those of outside of music professions. Adding musicians along with a piano? Now that's magic; layers upon layers of cool stuff happening.

But mostly cause I've always wanted to play (but for the above reasons). It just took me a while to get the courage to learn.

#2558982 - 07/27/16 12:13 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Cassia Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
From my earliest memories, I've always wanted to play the piano, but I didn't get the chance until I was 7 and we got our first piano. I immediately asked for lessons, but for reasons they've never explained, my parents said no. But that couldn't stop me - I knew in my heart I was a pianist - and so I pulled out some of my mom's old books, taught myself to read music, and learned the first part of Für Elise. At about that point, my grandmother took pity on me and signed me up for lessons. My parents never really did understand my passion and so were never very supportive. They paid for lessons and drove me to recitals, festivals, and competitions, but they never really encouraged me. There was actually a period when my mom actively discouraged me from playing. But it didn't matter, I never gave it up. I couldn't have. Playing the piano is a very large part of who I am. If I gave it up, I would die a figurative death. I play because I'm a pianist.

#2559028 - 07/27/16 07:56 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Celdor Offline

My story.
I used to attend a public music school in my little town just for 2 years. I learned an instrument which I did not enjoy at all, my dad did. Eventually, I stopped attending the school and though I was supposed to have a piano lesson a week I did not used that opportunity. I must say the piano teacher was great but my main instrument teacher was rather anti-pedagogical. So I eventually gave up and stopped the school for good and had no intention to touch anything related to music.

A couple of years later I tried guitar but also eventually stopped. It wasn't for me I guess.

Three years before in November I begun piano lessons. Before, I lived with this idea, though. I was thinking about piano since I had seen Adrian Brody in Pianists. His performance was definitely the moment when my desire to piano started! It took me a couple of years to make final realisation but The Pianist was the main trigger. I also enjoyed Steve Wonder's music and his dedication to music and piano which is still phenomenal. Then, I came across Arthur Rubinstein, Chopin and that how I was hooked :p

I practice every day almost the same routine but only recently have issues because of my work which becomes quite daunting and it unfortunately affects my determination, discipline and eventually my progress. I still try to maintain the routine for exercises and pieces.

#2559043 - 07/27/16 09:31 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
happyhacker Offline

I am retired. Had lessons when 10yrs but gave up as couldn't afford any more. Regret that. Now I find learning therapeutic. I believe it puts more power to my brain and physical skills offsetting old age creeping up. I think I will be a good player at 120yrs so maybe entertain the youngsters in my care home. Seriously, I like Jazz so am learning via that route. Heavily into theory and practice falling behind a bit. Do about 2 hours a day. Cheers.

#2559120 - 07/27/16 01:58 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: happyhacker]
blackjack1777 Offline

Loc: California
Playing the piano feels like a secret garden for me. When I play the piano I enter a world that is unburdened by worry or pressure. My time at the piano seems to exist separately from the world around me. In some ways it is an escape and something only for me.

https://soundcloud.com/blackjack1777/

#2559229 - 07/27/16 10:54 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Lee Ann Offline

Loc: Central Florida
My mother remarried a man with a daughter my age, and a piano, and I was in love with it at first sight. I was 10. We both had lessons, she hated them, I loved them and played constantly. A year later, my mother was a single mom, again. The piano was not ours. She did not have a lot of money, but she found a way to buy me an old 1940's Gulbransen upright piano, for $500......which I think was a lot for the time in 1981. And she found me a piano teacher. I played so much that I had the piano moved into my bedroom so I could play as much as I wanted, which was all the time.

It helped get me through middle school, which was the worst years of my life. I was a pretty poor kid that went to school with a bunch of rich and really mean kids, and my music helped me get through it. Same through high school, I played from the moment I got home from school until bedtime.

Then I didn't play for more than a decade, until recently I sat down to play again, and seem to have gotten back that feeling that I have to have this in my life. I am just now going through the "empty nest syndrome", having sent my youngest daughter off to college, and once again, this is helping me get through it all.

AND I am a crazy cat lady, whose two greatest things in life (besides my family of course) is cats and music....and the cats love the piano! They all completely mellow out, and I love seeing how it effects them too.

#2559344 - 07/28/16 01:02 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Rich D. Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rehoboth Beach De. USA
A piano is good company to have around.

Rich

Edited by Rich D. (07/28/16 03:56 PM)

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"

#2559428 - 07/28/16 08:20 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Blues beater Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas USA
Because I got classical lessons as a kid I learned fingering and a little bit about chords. But in the late 50s, early 60s, as an adolescent, nighttime in the winter brought in AM radio stations from hundreds of miles away and I immediately bonded with hillbilly music and blues. I knew I had to teach myself to play these. Still learning at age 70.

Don in Austin
Don, playing the blues in Austin, Texas on a 48" family heirloom Steinway upright, 100 year old 54" Weber upright, unknown make turn of the century 54" upright -- says "Whittier NY" on the plate, Starr, ca. 100 years old full size upright.

#2559443 - 07/28/16 10:00 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
MossySF Offline

I played the bass in the school orchestra when I was young and I thought I was pretty good. I could sight read like a madman ... even automatically translate my skills to the cello and violin. But a bass is a pretty damn big instrument to be lugging around ... or to own at home and I soon stopped playing. (My sister played violin and had her own starter violin for a hundred bucks.)

Now that my kids are taking piano, I've been learning at the same time. To be honest, I don't feel like being an adult has slowed down my music learning. Even after 3 years, I can pick up all their assigned pieces in half the time it takes them. Maybe the adult learning thing is mostly psychological ... or it's that we don't have parents forcing us to play 1-2 hours a day.

#2559468 - 07/29/16 12:29 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
outo Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
Why do I play the piano? I started on a whim, then got obsessed on getting better because I am fascinated with piano music and the tone that a piano can produce in capable hands. Now after 5 years of weekly lessons and daily practice I have invested so much into it that it would be silly to quit smile

And I do enjoy working out the challenges and practicing. It is often stressfull to keep up, but I tend to function best when challenged.

#2559551 - 07/29/16 11:41 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Rerun Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana

Well, one has to do something to have fun when about the only thing you can do with sports at my age is throw footballs with the grand kids.

For me playing piano is not unlike solving puzzles, only instead of a cryptoquote and a pen, it's a tune and the ears and keyboard. Piano playing isn't a sport yet grin, but still fun stuff.

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#2559631 - 07/29/16 05:47 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
iObsessed Offline

Loc: US
I'm kind of late to this thread (not really lol), but I play because it challenges me. Every time I sit down to play, it is always a quest to find perfection in my pieces. In addition, it is something I can let out my emotions on.

I started piano when I was close to four years old (beginning in 2001, if I even remember that far back and if this is even close to accurate). I have always displayed a penchant for music, as my parents will attest when I was still in my mother's womb. My maternal grandmother had a piano and wanted me to play because of its supposed benefits. At that time (circa 1999-2000), I don't even think the Lang Lang effect was that full-blown, but China was into Western instruments at that time. So, I guess this became natural to me.

#2559683 - 07/29/16 09:06 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
gwood Offline

Loc: plano,tx
i play piano because i love music and i love the sound of piano and the endless variety of music available for piano. plus i also play to keep my mind / brain active ('m getting older) and hand eye coordination.

background: we had a piano when i was growing up. my sister took lessons. i was curious about piano and played around bit and my sister taught me a few simple songs (chopsticks anyone?). i still remember some of her books and even have some of them (john thompson, arron shearer?). however, i could note read music and even at that early age realized the necessity to learn to read.

i also picked up guitar and that was my primary interest; keep in mind this was about at the time the Beatles came out so that diverted my attention from piano.

so, when i reached Jr high school, i joined the band (clarinet, drums, bass guitar in the jazz band). was in the band through jr high, high school and a year of so of college (started as a music major but got my degree i accounting info systems). i did take about 6 - 7 months of piano lessons in high school; it was helpful.

after i dropped the music major, what music did play was with the guitar. i still have several nice guitars and play some but not as much as i did back in the day.

around 1998 - 1999, had some in-laws visiting from Africa and he wanted to visit some music stores here in the U.S. at the time he had a church in Zimbabwe and was looking for the ideas on price of musical instruments. so i took him to guitar center; while there for some unknown reason i decided right then and there i was going to learn to play piano.

i started shopping around for a piano at the various piano stores around town and ended up with a young change upright. it was ok. i took lessons from a (very old) lady at the music store. but only took about 3 - 4 months as the teacher would just assign a piece then smile and give me a gold star the following week. not much feedback or instruction. i then traded the upright in for a Petrof IV grand which was great. took lessons off and on over the next several years with a fairly good teacher as well as self study.

last time i took lessons was about 4 - 5 years ago from a very very strict russion lady. i just couldn't handle the constant corrections with every little thing i did. i think i didn't touch piano for about two years after than. i just have some sort of mental block about taking lessons; it just seems to sap all the fun out of playing. but i am hoping with all the past lessons, i have eliminated the most blatant bad habits and i do try to be conscious of what i am doing.

now i am hot and heavy into playing and play several hours a day and loving it.

gw

#2561345 - 08/05/16 10:51 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
cphollis Offline

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
OK, deeply personal post smile

When I was 3 years old, I am told I begged my parents for a piano. The bought me a toy piano for Christmas, and I cried because I wanted a real piano.

Fast forward to the college years. I wanted to make a career playing keyboards, but my Dad said "nice hobby, but not a living". He was right.

Fast forward to later in life. I play in two bands, and I'm having a blast. The career thing has worked out well, so music isn't about the money for me.

When I play, it's like an alternate universe. It's like great sex, but it's in a group setting.

I believe that we all owe ourselves the opportunity to express ourselves as creative human beings.

That's why I play.

Practice: Bosie 200, Yamaha G3, AG N3
Live: Nord Piano 2, NE5D, Stage 2
Amps: QSC Ks, Fulcrum Acoustics, CPS SSv3
Support: Spider Pro, Yam MG3, QSC TouchMix

#2561397 - 08/06/16 07:47 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
f3r Offline

Loc: Italy
Because I like it! laugh

There's more to it but that would end up with me writing about my whole life...

Kawai CA97 | YouTube Channel

#2561485 - 08/06/16 09:01 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
sheffsteel Offline

Loc: Sheffield, UK
When I was a boy in the late 70's ans early 80's there was a large piano shop in town and I was absolutely fascinated by the organ keyboards with different coloured buttons for trumpet, violin, guitar etc. I was totally gobsmacked that one instrument could create the sounds of so many other instruments.

Then further into the 80's I was fascinated by the weird and interesting sounds that synthesisers could produce. So my first love was keyboards rather than piano as I've always been a technology addict.

However over the past few decades my favourite instruments are piano and strings, hence why I love many Craig Armstrong tracks.

I'm mainly a keyboard player and always thougt piano was too time consuming to learn. However it's always been my lifestime ambition to reach at least intermediate pianist standard before I leave this earth.

I'm now 50, the kids are grown up and have left home. So I have much more available time and more patience as I've become older.

So I've taken on the challenge to enjoy my later years fulfilling a lifetime ambition as I'm always been a massive music lover. Digital pianos are the most versatile instrument on the planet and as technology improves they will also become more fun with the power to run a music studio in your own home.

So my interest is centrered towards digital pianos rather than acoustic pianos.

#2561602 - 08/07/16 11:45 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
wimpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
I love music and even more so do I love piano music.. Making music adds to that and, I know that I'm lucky, playing together with my wife (4 hands) is just amazing laugh

#2562275 - 08/10/16 07:49 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Latetothepiano Offline

Loc: USA
I always loved piano. I loved the sound of it anywhere and in any type of music. I just wanted to play so at 57 I started. At 61, now retired, with 5 years of weekly lessons and daily practice, I am doing okay. I play because I love it and I was ignorant of classical music and now love that too. I am like a kid in a candy shop. Why do those composers endure and provide so much to so many of us hundreds of years later? I hate leaving my piano. I can't wait to get back to it when I leave home for vacation or to visit friends. I finish a lessons and can't wait to get back to my piano and practice. (I started with digitals and now have a Yamaha U1. Bright like a bell and probably not the piano I would choose today but I embrace it and love it for what it is. I am really grooving those hammers though!)
I have a wonderful teacher who is encouraging, talented, performs regularly herself and who I just love for giving me so much. (personally don't know how anyone that is learning can play without a teacher. I would do so many more things wrong without her!)

I do want to learn how to get away from the page though. I like the idea of both reading and improvising. I am not sure if I can do both, but will try.

I play because piano has taught me so much: patience, humility, acceptance, love of classical music, etc. In terms of skill, I am just wherever I am and that if fine with me. I am so grateful. For my piano. I am so grateful. To learn to play piano. I am so grateful. To play piano.

#2562289 - 08/10/16 09:26 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Music Me Offline

Late to the Piano-

I just love your post. It is what it is all about. I feel the same love and gratitude for my piano and for playing.

It is all that matters.

#2562339 - 08/11/16 02:32 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
I didn't grow up in a musical family and I've never been into music much, even at a young age. I was a very cerebral kind of child, always with some book in my hands, and I've always thought of myself as brain only, absolutely inept at anything involving movement and coordination. The thing is, I never liked to do things that I wasn't already good at, so I stuck with the few things that came naturally to me, without too much effort, not because of laziness, but because I simply couldn't stand to show my weaknesses in front of others (as if others would care). The only physical activity I enjoyed was horse riding, but I gave that up soon after a particularly bad fall and a broken arm. Nonetheless, deep down I'd always envied artistic, creative people, and those who could express themselves without fear, through dance, singing, playing an instrument, drawing, anything that involved mind-body connection.

I started dabbling at the piano at 36, when my wife got a keyboard just because she had always wanted one. I happen to be rather stubborn and self-disciplined, so four years later I'm still sitting at a piano (almost) every day. I think it's good for my brain, in spite of the frustration, and good for the body. It's the ultimate coordination, attentiveness, concentration activity. Even better than meditation, I think. When I practice I can't think of anything else, I have to be 100% there, there is no job, no responsibilities, nothing but the music. So I'm sticking with it even if it doesn't come easy to me, and my perfectionist self ends up beaten up and bruised.

I don't think I will ever be a "musician", but I'm pretty happy with where I got, and now I know that what I want to do in the future is play with other people, and accompany singers and soloists, even if only at amateur level, and even if it's scary and challenging to put myself out there. I still approach the piano as study at all times, something requiring hard work and rote learning, so I'm not really "expressing myself" through music yet, even if I have strong opinions on what I like and dislike. But hopefully that will come too, sooner or later.

#2562517 - 08/11/16 07:19 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
8 Octaves Offline

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015

If I knew why I play the piano, I would also know why not; until then I shall keep playing.

“Most people overestimate what they can do in one year
and underestimate what they can do in ten years.” - Bill Gates

#2562609 - 08/12/16 09:28 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
LarryShone Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: England
Keyboards have always been part of my life as a kid , I had various keyboards through my teenage years but inside I always wanted to play piano. Skip forward to the present and I have a (very good) digital piano. A dream come true. Now I don't play particularly well, being undiscplined and I can't read music, and I don't get a lot of time to practice. But its an instrument I can always come back to. Its unlike any other instrument I've played. If I stop playing guitar or ukulele or recorder for a period of time, then pick it up again I often find I've forgotten the chords or fingerings. But not so with a piano. I can go 6 months of not playing, open the lid and out comes a tune. I guess its the instrument for me, the one I'm most comfortable with. And it never fails to make me smile

My Piano Group

#2562632 - 08/12/16 11:19 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: blackjack1777]
cathryn999 Offline

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By blackjack1777
Playing the piano feels like a secret garden for me.

This captures it entirely. It's my secret garden too. :-)

#2562813 - 08/13/16 06:27 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
elainemusic369 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I come from a non-musical family. When I was 1 and a half, my babysitter said to my mum that I had long fingers so I should learn the piano. I also always danced excitedly every time there was music playing on the tv. So when I was 6, my mum asked me if I'd like to play a musical instrument, she suggested, violin, guitar, flute and piano. She hinted that she'd really want me to play piano, so I went along with that.

Then when I was 11, my dad introduced YouTube to me. I watched other kids of a similar age playing pieces more advanced than I and was so inspired by them that I wanted to learn those pieces. I learned the pieces that I found interesting one by one and soon I had learned a decent repertoire. My dad also took a video of me every time I completed a piece and posted it on YouTube. The encouraging comments made me really happy and made me want to work harder.

A couple years later, I started competing in local music festivals and competitions. I won my first prize at 13 (second place) despite being the youngest competitor and appeared on two newspapers. The next year, I also won a prize in a music competition. This one was special as I was judged against people playing different instruments.

Now, I enjoy performing at different venues and street pianos. My younger sister has a hobby in editing videos so we will be working on a few projects combining my music skills with her editing skills for YouTube.

I was first interested in classical music because of the structure and complexity of it. Now I also like pop, rock, alternative, country and film music. I like playing songs with lyrics that resonate with me because I feel like they represent who I am. For me, music is a source of self-discovery.

#2562840 - 08/13/16 08:35 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Johan B Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands, Grootegast-Gr...
Just look at my signature....... grin grin

Kind regards,
Johan B

Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'
https://m.youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic

#2562843 - 08/13/16 08:44 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: cathryn999]
Johan B Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands, Grootegast-Gr...
Originally Posted By cathryn999
Originally Posted By blackjack1777
Playing the piano feels like a secret garden for me.

This captures it entirely. It's my secret garden too. :-)

Yes Cathryn and Blackjack,.....a nice garden full of an endless number of flowers and big trees.......sparkling streams and ferocious waterfalls.....love to ecplore it.... 3hearts

Kind regards,
Johan B

Edited by Johan B (08/13/16 08:46 AM)

Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'
https://m.youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic

#2563411 - 08/15/16 02:15 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Huyen Offline

For me, piano is a close friend but it's also something very hard to come near since I live in Vietnam and when I was a child piano wasn't very popular.

When I was 5, I started my first lesson with the father of my mother's friend. Piano was a completely new and magical thing for me. I learned how to place my hand on the piano in that lesson. My teacher said that my hands looked like crabs because they were too stiff. I thought that was so funny and I couldn't forget the first time I played a piano.
Although I was very excited, I couldn't attend the second lesson because my teacher had a stroke. He had to rest so I had to stop.

Then my primary school opened some keyboard classes and my mother had me attend that course. I remembered in that course I learn how to touch the keyboard and play C major scale.
Summer ended and, again, I had to stop. My mother still kept in touch with the teacher and she let me learn keyboard again in my 2nd grade. I learned some chords and simple songs. But things got harder and I quit.
In the summer of my 3rd grade, I asked my mother to let me attend a keyboard class and she agreed. But I didn't like the way they teach and I quit.
In my 4th grade, my friend took a keyboard class after school. One day she asked me if I wanted to join with her or not. I asked my mother and she agreed. After a few months, my teacher let me dealt with piano thing and I played the book Methode Rose.
I got my own keyboard when I was in 5th grade. I couldn't forget that day when I was sick and my parents went brought it for me. I continued until I graduated from my primary school.

When I stopped, I didn't play anything for almost 2 years. In 7th grade when I started studying again with my old teacher, I couldn't feel my hand anymore. It took me a few weeks to remember how to play but luckily I got over it. I played in an audience for the first time when in 8th grade but I got nervous and shaking so bad. When In 9th grade my parents got me my first piano and I couldn't explain my feelings by words. I spent the whole day practicing and my playing was better in a short time.

Again graduated from middle school made it difficult to attend a piano class. My teacher still worked daytime in my primary school. I tried to go back to my primary school and took lesson with my teacher there. Then my family struggled with our house ownership certificate and we were in a difficult situation trying to buy a new house. My parents didn't say but I know they didn't want me to continue. Also, I couldn't arrange time with my teacher so I quit.

I was so frustrated after that and stopped playing for a few months. One day I got back to the piano and the annoying feeling I got before came back. This time made me feel harder to control my hand.I got over it and played some old pieces that I had learned. Then I dared playing Chopin Nocturn Op 9 No 2, it was so much harder than what I had played before.
After taking the move I started practicing what ever I want even if I had to spend months practicing a hard piece. I took some cheap classes but seemed like they didn't put much effort on their teaching.Then I did a lot of search by myself, started fulfilling what theory I lack because my old teacher didn't focus much on theory. I went to pianoworld.com and read the posts you share which were very helpful for my playing.

In the beginning of this year I applied for an university in Finland. I also attended a piano class near my house although I had to invest nearly all my part-time income on the lessons. The past six months means a lot to me since I had the chance to take lesson in a serious way. My teacher told me that I didn't put my emotion in my playing so I think I have to do a lot with my expression.

I was offered a study place in my university and I quit in July to prepare for my studying. I'm working on Ah vous dirai-je maman before I have to leave my piano.
Really I don't want to stop at all but it seems like I have to do it again. I don't want to experience the feeling when sitting in front of it and can't do nothing. But the living expenses in Finland are very expensive with me and I can not attend any piano classes.

I will leave in 10 days' time and I want to share my story in order for me to remember about my piano playing path. Although it is very hard to continue but I hope I can do something to keep playing it.

#2563871 - 08/17/16 12:52 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Piano Tipping Offline

I have always loved music, but have recently in the past year or so become addicted to piano. I started with trombone as a kid, then guitar, but should have started with piano. I play for lots of reasons. It relieves stress. You can't think of other things while playing. It sometimes feels like a super power, especially when you learn something new.

#2563895 - 08/17/16 02:29 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Tubbie0075 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I play music because creating a combination of sounds that is pleasant to the ears, mind and heart brings me more pleasure than any other activities (e.g. compared to painting or dancing or eating or socialising etc.) . I play the piano because it has the most repertoire than any other instruments, it has the most range apart from organ, capable of playing a lot more notes at once (compared to trumpet or violin etc.) and that tinkling sound is particularly pleasing. Whatever the piano cannot do, I get it from playing the violin.

I am a routine person. Practising/playing the piano routinely suits me. Playing music gives me a sense of purpose and progressing in it gives me a sense of achievement. It is also particularly challenging to the mind. It raises a lot of questions yet you find a lot of answers, whether it's music related or not. It teaches me a lot of things that can apply to life in general. It is art, it is science, it is history, it is math, it is philosophy, it is a journey, it is adventurous, it is challenging, it is an emotional outlet, it is humanity, it is a sanctuary... it is a lot of things.

That is why I play the piano, and that is why I keep playing the piano.

YouTube channel

#2563899 - 08/17/16 03:16 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Albunea Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spain
I play the piano because my hands started aching and a music teacher told me "Why don't you learn to play the piano". She is very funny... cool

One day I was sitting by some drums and a friend told me "That looks SO MUCH like your thing!". LOL I think this was before the piano even? My neighbors can deal with a digital piano but drums would be too much. laugh

Anyhow, my hands are not hurting anymore. smile

#2564467 - 08/20/16 06:00 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Lee Ann]
kristop Offline

Loc: France
Originally Posted By Lee Ann
Originally Posted By Michael Taylor

I can barely play in front of anyone too....and if I do, I mess up constantly because I'm so self conscious. But don't say you are not that good....(I am trying to tell myself to stop this too), because all of us are at different levels, but that doesn't make you not good. smile

One of the first thing my new teacher told me (20 years ago) was: "if only the best pianist in the world was allowed to play, me neither I wouldn't be playing"... Isn't that great ?
(hope my english translation is understandable)

#2566142 - 08/26/16 04:43 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
my-names-are-used Offline

Loc: Farnham, Surrey. U.K.
I bought one to try to learn as a retirement project, but I don't have much space, so I was constantly setting it up & putting it away.

This got annoying very quickly, & I went & bought harmonicas, but I struggled with breath control, so I tried ukulele, that worked, I could just about play that, so I went with ukes for the past 8 months.

But I am missing both my harps & my piano, so I am having a go at both again, along side of my ukes, so I guess that is why I 'play' piano, because I like to try getting tunes out of it. smile

#2566994 - 08/29/16 08:22 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Moonsh1ne Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I was just at the Greenwich hospital in Connecticut to visit a newborn nephew, and they have a Steinway D in the lobby smile
The receptionist said I was welcome to come back anytime. I guess that's why I play the piano.

#2567721 - 08/31/16 08:14 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Huyen]
briangmoore Offline

Loc: Sioux Falls, SD
Huyen,

that is a great story it really comes through how much you love the piano. If you are going to university, they probably have practice rooms, you can keep playing. Even if you have to stop your lessons for a while because of your studies you can still keep in say 30 min. a day. That's what I do. I work at a university and they are very generous and welcoming in allowing non-music students to use their practice rooms. I honestly think that if you stop at say mid-day and play for 30 minutes probably your studies will improve. It helps a lot to get your mine exercised in a different direction and then go back to your work.

#2568963 - 09/06/16 05:35 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
Because I am compelled to. I have an imperative to create and map my psyche, consciousness, soul, whatever you like to call it, onto abstract piano sound. The recorded, spontaneous improvisation, of increasing duration and frequency, seems unstoppable. I am not really either musician or pianist in any conventional sense, that is something I have learned from people on forums over the last fourteen years, and I shall probably get progressively madder with it, like Louis Wain and his cat paintings, until I peg out.

Edited by Ted (09/06/16 05:37 AM)

#2569249 - 09/07/16 03:17 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
egravia Offline

To get girls. :-)

#2569263 - 09/07/16 05:32 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Because I don't have the right embouchure for the ocarina.

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2569391 - 09/07/16 04:47 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: ClsscLib]
Ralphiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By ClsscLib
Because I don't have the right embouchure for the ocarina.

Oh my God! Ocarinia Specific Embouchurical Impairment(OSEI)! I've heard of such cases, but, until now, had never known of one of its sufferers! I hope there is some treatment, or relief, available to you! And, I hope it doesn't affect your piano playing! laugh

Casio Privia PX-760
Pianoteq Stage

#2569942 - 09/09/16 05:30 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
rustyzofkeys Offline

Loc: Yonkers, New York
Story time! When I was at the age of 13, I went to a new school where a very nice music teacher greeted me. He wanted me to try out an instrument, in where I refused at first because I'd be like what, a 13-year old beginner, not some Mozart, Lang Lang, or any pianist who was considered exceptional in their very early childhood? Because the thing is, when we learn a skill, sometimes we happen to like it so much we want to become so much better than our beginner selves. Some pianists who want to become fully-fledged professionals enjoy being competitive, and want to make it to the top in order to achieve their goals. I'm one of them, but my greatest weakness, is without a doubt my late age of beginning the piano.

My music teacher convinced me that it's worth a try, and so there I tried out the acoustic guitar. After finding out it's not my type of instrument, I tried the piano. I actually liked playing the piano. I thought it was the closest to my love for video games. I didn't play that much, however. Therefore, technically it didn't feel like I started at the age of 13, but at the age of 14.

I felt like I started at the age of 14 because what I'll be taking lessons with, is not only an extremely-accomplished pianist, but a pianist I knew back in my childhood as early as 5. She was the organist of the church I go to every week. During my summer vacation when I was 14, my parents wanted me to go to her piano recital, and I was like "Whoa, those are some impressive students!" when I watched her students play, even the younger ones. After watching, I thought that taking lessons with a teacher like this would be a good idea.

This teacher was far better. Taught me so many things. I didn't really practice that much when I was 14 and 15 (I chewed up from 30 minutes to an hour of practice a day, sometimes I don't even practice), but this year I plan to take it up a few notches. And of course, my teacher gave me opportunities to perform in small stages.

I'm 16 years old now, playing the piano as an intermediate (most likely early-intermediate). That'll change though, as nowadays my love for piano grows larger overtime. And other pianists who discourage me for my late age can begone. I play like it's the only thing that has ever appealed to me in life, play for a professional career as there's no other good job. I knew that this was only the beginning of my music journey.

#2570571 - 09/12/16 07:33 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Riou Offline

Hi in a new member and I haven't really posted a lot. I'm 31
And I started on reading forums from 16.
I may of posted a total of 30 times in that span of time. I have adhd and I'm my thinking is off sometimes on how I look at things. My father always said I was book smart and don't have common sense. I was subject to a strict father who I feel like abused me and I had to walk eggshells my whole life. Inwas smacked punched beat with no loving words with it just rage .I have been searching for meaning and purpose a good part of my life. Something to fulfill me and thru one of the worst times in my life I came across the piano . I love watching contemporary video games theme and music soundtracks and watching there hands play absolutely captured me. It look like art the way there hands moved across the keys and the sound it produced. I have a hard time saying what I mean. Expressing emotion and being authentic. I always been a liar In my life. I want to be a good person and thru this piano I'm learning to practice patience and is my first step into trying to master a hobby. I give up on everything in my life everything . I don't commit to anything. And I can't get enough of the piano/ keyboard. It takes all my stress away and I'm learning something that is hard and fulfilling.
I wanted to be honest with myself the first time In my life and posting and being s a part of a community will Be my first step into this new life.

That is why I play the piano. I want to be free . It gives me purpose . And thanks for everyone who read my story. I really don't tell my story and I have a lot more to tell but some point I had to start sharing my pain then reading it from everyone else.

#2571758 - 09/16/16 12:29 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Nahum Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Israel
I grew up in a musical family, my mom wanted me to become a violinist. But I always wanted to play the piano, and it turned out was right: through the piano I can best express to myself and to others. .

#2573043 - 09/22/16 01:54 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
emotive Offline

Loc: Kansas
This is my first post on Piano World. I do not know how to play and I have next to no experience, but piano has always been for me a magical creature that I wish I could speak with. Musicians and their instruments are the highest form of human expression, and the piano a leader among them. I have tried to plunk out some songs by ear. Right hand only. I hope to take lessons or maybe self-study so I can play even some simple, but beautiful tunes without such effort! We had a piano when I was a child and I took about three lessons - but our family's schedule was just too busy and I was unable to continue. There is simply something spiritual in the physical resonance when you touch a key. The vibration penetrates your body so you can experience the sound in a very tactile way. I am not religious, but I have a spirit that awakes for the piano. The immediate and universal conveyance of emotional subtleties in each note cannot be avoided. It is purity and goodness. You share the craft of the people who created it, the trees and metals and even elephants that it is created from. The piano is its own creature and each with its own voice. I simply love them.

I am now mother of two young kids and seeking to shepherd them, without pressure that would kill the beauty, yet, with a commitment that could enable them to learn this language. I always felt I wanted to play and how can you let them know what they should so appreciate if you do not speak the language, but perhaps, just get the gist of it?

We have been struggling on a partially working keyboard for about a year. We have a very patient teacher who has let my 7 year old try the star wars themes and some popular tunes seven years, etc., but he is simply not motivated to practice and I fear I am trying too hard. My 4 year old, by contrast, will spontaneously just play on the keys. Thank goodness, my mother has taken notice of our efforts and decided to pass the piano of her childhood to us! I am so excited for this! I hope that the voice of a true mythical creature in our home will help my boys gain enthusiasm. I will be seeking guidance on various questions on PW through this journey - lessons or self study for myself, general teaching approach and how to practice for my kids, of course, a review of our instrument and its needs *I believe it is a Baldwin Model M from approximately 1953. My mom still plays it occasionally, but it has moved a few times with our family and i imagine it will need some advice in the technicians forum.

I will love reading the various perspectives of all of the piano enthusiasts in this thread. Thank you in advance for the depth of perspective that might be gained from your collective experiences and thoughts!

Cheers!

#2573047 - 09/22/16 02:18 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
dogperson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

@Emotive
Welcome to the forums! My goodness, I found your post about why you feel a spiritual connection with the piano both eloquent, heartfelt, and how many of us feel.

.. 'Purity and goodness' expresses it.

You will find the forums helpful.. use the piano technicians forum for questions about the care and feeding of your Baldwin. The adult beginners forum has several thread of beginners that are studying with the various adult method books.

"My toy was my piano" -Alicia de Larrocha
"Just waiting until I can retire from my day job so my piano can be my toy"- dogperson

#2573050 - 09/22/16 02:25 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
emotive Offline

Loc: Kansas
I liked this reply on the Technician's Forum to the Secret Life of Pianos thread:

Thanks so much, Bob, for posting. His love of the acoustic piano is so heartwarming.... 'treat your piano like a great aunt you love'. Regardless of the positive attributes of digital pianos, I wonder how many digital pianists would have that type of emotional connection? I think many of us with acoustics do.

#2573084 - 09/22/16 09:28 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
CQlady Offline

Loc: boston
Well, when I was a kid I always loved playing around on the keyboard my dad had. My grandpa also had an organ in his house that we used to love just playing around on. I never took lessons or anything like that but as I grew up I loved listening to music with piano in it. My alarm used to be Hungarian Rhapsody #5. I just don't know why I have always been drawn to it. I don't know anyone who plays the piano but when I did come across someone who could I was just fascinated by it.

Then, as some mommies tend to do, I put my kid in piano lessons. I bought her a digital piano and she had about 10 lessons and gave it up. But we kept the piano and I would use her books and kind of just play around with it. Stopped. Then picked it up again and kept at it. Times fell hard and I had to sell the piano but I vowed that when I had enough money to get one again I would. Then in March I took the plunge and bought a Privia PX-160 with levels 1,2, and 3 of Alfred's Basic All in one books. Not realizing that they take a while to get through.

So since then I have practiced everyday for 20-30 minutes. Not including warm up. I love it. The satisfaction I get when I complete a new song brings me joy that I just don't get from very many places.

#2574044 - 09/26/16 11:51 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
dashy Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Honestly?

Partly because I love all music and wish to create my own.

Partly because in my 40's and it's good for my mental health and self-esteem.

Partly because I'm envious of people who can play music.

I did violin for a while, and I loved it, but I like piano because intonation isn't a concern and it provides its own harmony and rhythm.

Edited by Dashy (09/26/16 11:55 AM)

Casio Privia PX-760

#2574885 - 09/29/16 02:23 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Stubbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Midwest USA
Because nothing beats sitting down at the piano and making music come out of it.

#2575297 - 10/01/16 09:36 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Kataway Offline

Loc: Shawinigan, Quebec, Canada
I'm 65 and the first time I had a keyboard (it was a synth) around me I was 23 years old. I never took lessons and I always like to have a piano close to me since then. Now I do have an electric piano Yamaha P85 and that's enough to satisfy my needs. Why do I like to play it? I'm a guitar player mainly and I started in '69. Then I learn how to play bass few years after. I was a self taught musician till '80. I took some jazz lessons on the guitar. After that I followed a full year a complete arranging course. I needed the piano more than ever before. I was checking the harmony, if it was possible to use different types of harmony or chords. Through all these years I learned other instruments...like violoncello, Chapman Stick...this last one bring me back to the piano. I often switch between these 2 instruments...they are quite similar in many ways...hands independance for example. The stick is a tapping instrument and I like to play chords with my left hand and improvising with my right. I do the same on piano. More I pratice one more I feel good on the other one...they complete themselves. But...they are so different on other sides. The piano is a very visual instrument...you "see" what you play (I don't read music on these instruments...I read on guitar and bass) while on the Stick it's almost all inside your head...sometimes you look at your neck but you have to come back in your mind to get a good improvisation. I love this side of the piano where you have a clear "image" of what you're playing.

#2575639 - 10/02/16 05:40 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
PM7 Offline

I was a first generation of children in my family that was not sent to music school. In my home there was a XIXth century grand piano, completely out of tune, that I eventually spent some time with it, but obviously it was most unsuitable to play.

As a little child I was exposed to classical music and some 80ties pop music, as a teenager I was listening to some pop-rock orientated radio, and eventually I got tired and bored of guitars everywhere. I reminded myself some odd sounds and started looking, that how I re-discovered the 80ties pop and electronic music. The same time I had trouble sleeping, I couldn't fall asleep because of songs playing in my head again and again, I could't get rid of.

Eventually, I discovered I can recoginize more pitch changes than in the past, I also started hearing at first, very odd sounds, and later, strange melodies I couldn't recognize. At some point I've discovered that I can controll this melodies that appear in my mind, change them, develop them, and invent new ones.
Finally, when I was 22 I think, I bough myself a keyboard, because I wanted to bring those melodies from my head to the outside world, back then I didn't realize how difficult this would be.

Struggling to play anything, and after some pathetic attempts to make any composition, I decided to take piano lessons. Those were both helpful and distatrous in some areas, but eventually they helped. By the time I got more and more into classical music, and by now it

Why do I play piano now? Well, I'm not really sure. It's enjoyable, it brings satisfaction, and when I do not play for some time, I get a strange feeling that something is missing. Also, when I play, I feel that my brain works in different way, like I can run away from this boring and mad world of human affairs, and do something interesting, isolated from it.
To me, classical music is not only a impressive workshop and beautiful piece of art, it is also a cure for my spirit, while playing piano is life for my mind.

Edited by PM7 (10/02/16 05:40 PM)

#2577224 - 10/08/16 09:52 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Andy W Offline

Loc: Newton, MA
I was originally trained as a singer (boy soprano). When I was old enough to play church league basketball, the games ran too late for my bedtime so my parents got me lessons as a consolation prize. I have never looked back. It was a good way to not fit in comfortably in High School, it was a great way to pick up girls in college, and it now prominently fits in my collection of quirks as an engineer.

I love the piano the way some guys love cars, or motorcycles, but it's a cheaper hobby than racing. If I ever get a man-cave, there will be two good pianos for fourhand parties and a matching pool table. The piano has been my salvation, my downfall on more than one occasion, and a place to turn to when it was time to retrieve my sanity. It's an incredibly frustrating instrument, yet so rewarding when I do finally make my peace through whatever piece I am struggling with--Brahms Op. 118 No. 2 was what finally taught me to breathe with the music at the piano, for example--that I forgive it.

On an existential plane, I guess I have to be forgiven by *it* as well. My relationship to the piano has not always been good--forced to stop playing for many years by repetitive motion problems arising from bad posture and poor technique or putting a bottle-opener on the leg of my grand--but I have always gone back to it, which makes it my home in life, no matter how far I wander. My life would be deeply impoverished without it.

Pianos-Lazarus "Murphy" the Schulz 5' grand (c. 1930)
Kahuna Willi the Wilhelm T. Steinberg IQ28 w/ Fandrich Vertical Action (c. 1995)

#2578098 - 10/12/16 07:51 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Falsch Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Hi smile After lurking here for more than a year, I've decided to finally register smile

I'm adult restarter with regard to classical music, and a beginner on the piano. As a kid I had music lessons for four years ("music school"), followed by four years of classical organ.

Back then, my main reason to go for the organ was because I wanted to play the Toccata and Fugue in D Minor smile In the end I managed that cool, but never got around to playing the Fugue without mistakes cry

Later, my parents were not too happy with the classical organ repertoire ("church music"), and 'encouraged' me to switch to a keyboard; so I wasted (my current opinion) several years playing on arrangers. At around 2001 I started university, sold the arranger (Technics KN-3000) cancelled lessons, and basically quit playing.

In 2007-2008, I started again on an arranger and discovered that I hated it. I switched, in rapid succession, from a Yamaha arranger to a Roland Atelier AT-100, and finally a Hammond XH-200, which I kept until last year. In the end I settled on playing (mainly) movie/broadway soundtracks by using lead sheets, improvising a complete left hand and bass accompaniment myself.

Last year in June, because of a move to where the big XH-200 couldn't follow (stairs, tight bends, and such...) I sold the Hammond and bought a Nord C2D, thinking to move back to classical organ and do some 'pure' Hammond-like stuff along with it.

I failed miserably crazy

For some reason, I now don't like to play classical organ, and there are very few pieces I like to listen to. I don't know why. With regard to the Hammond, I dislike it as a solo instrument, though I *love* hearing it in a mix. I greatly missed the orchestral capabilities and layering of the XH-200 frown

At some point, while searching for organ techniques, I accidentally found this piece on Youtube:

Of Monsters and Men - Organs

It's a simple piece, but I love it. I also discovered that it's impossible to play well on the organ (ironically enough) because of the required sustain and subsequent decay of the bass notes eek

I did the thing I never thought I would do: I started to research piano's that had multiple layer capabilities. If there is ONE instrument I've disliked in my childhood, it was the piano. All the piano's I ever heard were either cheap, crappy digitals, or badly maintained uprights, so my experience with the piano wasn't very good mad

In the end, after researching the Nord Piano 2, Yamaha CP4, Roland RD-800, Kawai MP7 and MP11, I ended up with the Kawai MP7. Off all those stage piano's, I liked the MP7 best. In my opinion, it had the best user interface, the only one with an (almost) complete drawbar organ, and the piano sound I liked the most. (Even though I never played a piano, I knew what to listen for because of the extensive research, and how to test it.) It even had the lowest price of all of them thumb

In december 2015 I decided to finally to get the MP7 and 'try some piano'.

Since then, I have been moving my soundtrack/broadway repertoire to the MP7, slowly, inventing a new left-hand-only accompaniment for use with the lead sheets. I've also started to play some popular music as piano-only songs (lead sheets also, with improvised accompaniment by listening to YouTube video's).

This went fine, and the Nord C2D organ fell into disuse.

I haven't found anything the yet that the MP7 can't do. Because I already used a TV-monitor with a mini-computer for sheet music (I need music at A3 format because of poor eyesight), I got Pianoteq while it was on sale a few weeks ago. With it, I got the free Kivir collection, the Ruckers Harpsichord, and the two Kremsegg collections, just because I like the old sounds. I the end, I connected the MP7+Pianoteq to a set of 8 inch Focal Alpha 80 speakers.

a few weeks ago, I thought to try some Bach again, at the piano/harpsichord this time, after not having played that sort of music for over 20 years. I've dug out some of the old music books. Burgmüller, Czerny, Hanon, a binder with "Etude 1 to 50" that sound remarkably like Bach, Scarlatti and Clementi (when playing the right hand only, as I can't sight read them anymore), and some other books in the Schirmer and Peters collections.

It didn't go well mad

When comparing what I did back then to what would be required now to obtain ABRSM grades, my level at the time would have been somewhere within ABRSM 5. Now, my classical repertoire is completely shot crazy I can't even do a single Bach 2-part invention any more, and I make mistakes when trying to sight read the left hand of Minuet in G Major... reading lead sheets and chord symbols does that to you, I suppose.

Still, I want to play a solo instrument that does not depend on special things such as the MP7's layering capabilities, and that does not need speakers and other stuff connected to it. It also needs to fit into the living room, for which the MP7 has now become too wide.

After careful research and testing, I settled on a Roland LX-17; it will be delivered in another two weeks or so.

The MP7 will stick around in the computer room for the multi-part movie/broadway soundtracks and the use of the old piano's and harpsichords, while the LX-17 will be used to restart the classical music, moving from organ to piano, and for playing piano-only versions of the soundtracks.

Well... even though I'm not a beginner at keyboard instruments, this is how a classical/electronic organ player ends up as a beginner at the piano grin

My nickname represents how my classical repertoire currently sounds whistle

Edited by Falsch (10/12/16 08:10 AM)

#2579296 - 10/16/16 05:44 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Mason&HamlinFan Offline

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
Musically, I started out on the guitar. As a pre-teen I became completely enamored of the Beatles (which still holds very much today), so picking up guitar was a natural progression for me in the mid-60s. Like most who approach popular guitar, I learned chords and strumming and eventually fingerpicking, but played without learning to read music. Still, I got good enough later to play professionally in a band.

At age 17, about the time I first began gigging in a band, I knew a woman who played the piano quite well and she wanted to learn guitar. Meanwhile, I wanted to expand myself musically, so we decided to trade lessons. I think I took about six piano lessons before quitting. I was too impatient. I wanted to really play something of substance as opposed to simple beginners’ arrangements of things like nursery rhymes.

So I took my knowledge of chords and moved them over to piano, which proved to be much easier to see on a keyboard than guitar because of how everything is arranged in exactly repeating groups of 12 black and white keys. Then I taught myself to arrange for piano by listening to music that would challenge me and then duplicating what I heard. In this way I learned tricks about arranging for both hands.

Along the way I discovered a love for Tchaikovsky, Chopin, Rachmaninoff and others. I soon became proficient at playing from a lead sheet and also filled in some blanks by learning basic music theory. I never learned to really sight read, however, though I often wish I had. I can always figure out the sheet music if I really want to, but I can’t just sit down and immediately play it. I can only do that with my chord piano arrangements.

Recently I discovered the mostly forgotten but great Broadway composer Vincent Youmans. I soon fell in love with a lot of his music and worked up arrangements of several of his classic songs. But one thing I realized in carefully studying the sheet music for his songs was that there were subtleties that would be easy to miss going purely by chord notation. Back in the 1920s and 30s, they were heavy into “color chords” and the original arrangements often did unexpected but very nice things. So it’s been educational to go through and figure out the precise musical notation and incorporate some of those important details into my arrangements.

Why do I play piano? Because I can’t think of anything more gratifying and artistically satisfying than sitting down at my 7-foot Mason & Hamlin BB and letting my fingers loose. It makes me happy. It can be exciting, joyful or meditative, but it’s always healing on many levels, and it doesn’t get any better than that.

#2579402 - 10/17/16 05:23 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
berkhunermusic Offline

cause It is the best thing in my life (not only piano I play guitar too I can't choose one of them :D)

#2579566 - 10/17/16 06:40 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
So as to pursue the inimitable catharsis derived from certain music... or just make pretty noise, depending on how you look at it smile

#2579771 - 10/18/16 01:35 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
George Gk Offline

Loc: Greece
Well ,
I can remember my self listening to music from my early years.
Around age of 7, i was given by my grandfather an old AM radio and i was listening to stations until late night.
Never had some kind of music education thought, didn't had the mind the keep in track those days nor my familys economics could allow such expences.
But that music in my head was always there,anywhere,anyplace.

Life is funny some times and some decades later my daughter wanted to learn music (guitar) and i also decided to give music a try.I also thought that the precious dad (me) should try just to set a good example for the daughter.
Even in my wildest dreams, i couldn't imagine that in any point of my life i could play even any song with piano
Some three years later i keep going (and don't care how far it will get me to).

Didn't had in mind to learn especially piano , mostly keys (great fan of electro-pop and such) . Also not great fan of classical music but i follow teachers instruction (but i managed to convince her to switch to rock songs cool ).
In the meanwhile i switched from midi keyboard to synthesizer and after that to stage piano now (teacher thought it would be good for the blues lessons).

#2583386 - 11/01/16 12:52 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
John Keller Offline

Loc: Athens, GA
I come from a long line of accomplished musicians. Music is in my DNA. To not play would be like being pregnant and never giving birth.
The true artist is not proud: he unfortunately sees that art has no limits; he feels darkly how far he is from the goal, and though he may be admired by others, he is sad not to have reached that point to which his better genius only appears as a distant, guiding sun.

- Ludwig van Beethoven

#2584814 - 11/05/16 07:24 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
FrankDaddy Offline

Loc: Louisiana, US
This is a great question.

Some background about me.

Well I started at 12 years old taking piano lessons. It did come easy to a point. My mother and my two sisters played. I played through high school and college. During college I played with several bands with a Hammond Organ and Rhodes 88 electric Piano. After college got married and stop playing for 20 years raising a family and working keeping that kept me very busy. Started taking lessons when my daughters were taking lessons. I am taking lessons now from a wonderful pianist here in Houston. I have fallen in love again with the Piano. I will keep playing until I cannot play. This is probably going to be my retirement gig somehow. I have played for churches and for retreats for the last 6 years. Nothing like playing Chopin, Bach, Mozart or any of the other masters. I still am not as good as I should be but I am trying.

The piano has really defined me. I would not have it any other way.

#2585151 - 11/07/16 09:15 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Falsch Offline

I realised that my post earlier in this thread mainly describes HOW I ended up at the piano, but not WHY.

In the last 10 years, I've been looking for a solo instrument: an instrument that can be played without any extra's, such as drums or accompaniment. Because I studied classical organ for four years as a kid, and had played home organs extensively, I tried the Nord C2D, because it has both classical and Hammond capabilities.

I didn't like it too much, because it's just not fit for playing popular music. The classical organ is exceptional, but only fit for classical organ music. The Hammond is near perfect as well, but for playing popular music, it really, really needs some accompaniment. I found that I don't really care for solo Hammond.

The one thing I like about classical organ is the huge, never-ending reverb. The same holds true for something like a flute played in church. I found something similar in the sustain of the piano.

I've never considered piano before because the ones I've played in the past were really low-end digitals, or badly maintained uprights, and the people I knew that played only played classical music... often very fast pieces.

After getting into classical music more, outside of the organ, I found pieces such as the Moonlight Sonata (1st movement), the Gymnopedies, and some very slow modern pieces such as "Organs" (hehe) by Monsters and Men.

Pieces like that bring out the sustain of the piano. That is what made me try the piano (with the MP7) and finally switch from organ (to the LX-17, after selling the Nord C2D).

I now play the piano because it can be such a soft and lyrical instrument. To some extend it's also therapeutic / meditative or something. Maybe you can't believe it, but I can play something like Bach's Prelude in C, BWV 846 in a loop for an hour. (No, I'm not afraid to use the sustain pedal with a Bach piece if I think it fits it :))

If anybody knows a piece like that in a minor key, I'd like to know.

Edited by Falsch (11/07/16 09:23 AM)

#2585171 - 11/07/16 10:21 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Falsch]
dogperson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Falsch
I realised that my post earlier in this thread mainly describes HOW I ended up at the piano, but not WHY.

In the last 10 years, I've been looking for a solo instrument: an instrument that can be played without any extra's, such as drums or accompaniment. Because I studied classical organ for four years as a kid, and had played home organs extensively, I tried the Nord C2D, because it has both classical and Hammond capabilities.

I didn't like it too much, because it's just not fit for playing popular music. The classical organ is exceptional, but only fit for classical organ music. The Hammond is near perfect as well, but for playing popular music, it really, really needs some accompaniment. I found that I don't really care for solo Hammond.

The one thing I like about classical organ is the huge, never-ending reverb. The same holds true for something like a flute played in church. I found something similar in the sustain of the piano.

I've never considered piano before because the ones I've played in the past were really low-end digitals, or badly maintained uprights, and the people I knew that played only played classical music... often very fast pieces.

After getting into classical music more, outside of the organ, I found pieces such as the Moonlight Sonata (1st movement), the Gymnopedies, and some very slow modern pieces such as "Organs" (hehe) by Monsters and Men.

Pieces like that bring out the sustain of the piano. That is what made me try the piano (with the MP7) and finally switch from organ (to the LX-17, after selling the Nord C2D).

I now play the piano because it can be such a soft and lyrical instrument. To some extend it's also therapeutic / meditative or something. Maybe you can't believe it, but I can play something like Bach's Prelude in C, BWV 846 in a loop for an hour. (No, I'm not afraid to use the sustain pedal with a Bach piece if I think it fits it :))

If anybody knows a piece like that in a minor key, I'd like to know.

Welcome to the forum!
Bach prelude and fugue in C Minor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcFHuUJE0mU

imslp has a list of Bach compositions and the keys
http://imslp.org/wiki/List_of_works_by_Johann_Sebastian_Bach

#2585260 - 11/07/16 03:06 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
RubyBlues Offline

Loc: Alaska, USA
First, please let me say,

HELLO EVERYONE!

Oh, I so LOVED reading people's responses here. Thanks to all for sharing some of your personal reasons.

Me, the reason is quite simple: I love music, and the piano's sound is part of who I am--it's the sound of my soul. However, not that I really play any actual songs yet. The music is still only in my heart and soul... waiting for my hands to catch up. LOL.

(ALSO: LATE TO THE PIANO: I loved reading your response!)

Thanks!

#2585265 - 11/07/16 03:33 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: dogperson]
Falsch Offline

Originally Posted By dogperson

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks smile I should have been clearer. I didn't mean the/a Prelude in c Minor; I know that one. I meant a Bach piece with a lot of broken chords, like in BWV 846, but in a Minor key, that can be played slow and with sustain pedal smile

#2585370 - 11/07/16 11:53 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Curious42 Offline

Loc: Silicon Valley, CA USA
My first post. I have been lurking for 3 or 4 years and finally registered.

Playing piano helps my attention deficit hyperactivity disorder; it really calms my thinking and makes my brain feel unbelievable relaxed, creative, and energized. I am a "better" person when I practice on a regular basis.

I began playing from 8 to 12 years old; taught mostly classical music. Moved onto designing circuits and programming during jr high and high school and consequently stopped practicing piano for nearly 35 years.

Married and kids came along. My wife suggested we have the boys practice and play piano, now 14 and 10. The boys began playing about 7 years ago, and I fell in love wanting to practice while watching the boys and the instructor playing and practicing.

Now the 3 of us take private lessons (as a family) each Sunday afternoon for the past 5 years.

We all perform at the bi annual piano recitals, including myself. I am 52.

I can say that practicing piano has tremendously helped my technical work creativity. The past 5 years I have written and filed over 45 U.S. patents. When I don't practice regularly, I can immediately tell when my brain is off. I am sharper and more creative now then when I was between 20 to 40's.

I am currently practicing 3 Stephen Heller pieces for our January class recital. I never heard him before but his music touches my soul like jazz - but this classical music.

I have been practicing basic jazz scales and some basic blues; I am a closet jazz want to be player; I envision the sustained improvision will also help with my ADHD.

-stu

Edited by Curious42 (11/07/16 11:56 PM)

#2585382 - 11/08/16 01:45 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Falsch]
dogperson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Falsch

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks smile I should have been clearer. I didn't mean the/a Prelude in c Minor; I know that one. I meant a Bach piece with a lot of broken chords, like in BWV 846, but in a Minor key, that can be played slow and with sustain pedal smile

Horrors, I know, but I play much more Chopin and Debussy.
Try Bach BWV 578 - if this doesn't work for you, try reposting on the Adult Beginner's or the Pianists forums where you will get more Bach afficiendos that read the thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y76uH2xu670

#2585417 - 11/08/16 06:48 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Curious42]
RubyBlues Offline

Loc: Alaska, USA
Originally Posted By Curious42
My first post. I have been lurking for 3 or 4 years and finally registered.

Playing piano helps my attention deficit hyperactivity disorder; it really calms my thinking and makes my brain feel unbelievable relaxed, creative, and energized. I am a "better" person when I practice on a regular basis.

I began playing from 8 to 12 years old; taught mostly classical music. Moved onto designing circuits and programming during jr high and high school and consequently stopped practicing piano for nearly 35 years.

Married and kids came along. My wife suggested we have the boys practice and play piano, now 14 and 10. The boys began playing about 7 years ago, and I fell in love wanting to practice while watching the boys and the instructor playing and practicing.

Now the 3 of us take private lessons (as a family) each Sunday afternoon for the past 5 years.

We all perform at the bi annual piano recitals, including myself. I am 52.

I can say that practicing piano has tremendously helped my technical work creativity. The past 5 years I have written and filed over 45 U.S. patents. When I don't practice regularly, I can immediately tell when my brain is off. I am sharper and more creative now then when I was between 20 to 40's.

I am currently practicing 3 Stephen Heller pieces for our January class recital. I never heard him before but his music touches my soul like jazz - but this classical music.

I have been practicing basic jazz scales and some basic blues; I am a closet jazz want to be player; I envision the sustained improvision will also help with my ADHD.

-stu

Hey Stu!

That's so cool! I think music can be a form of medicine for the soul. LOL.

Nice to learn of your children endeavors--if I had children I will definitely expose them to music.

I am an Open Jazz lover.. the classics and Oscar Peterson is my beloved favorite.

#2587695 - 11/16/16 09:52 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Junegirl Offline

Loc: Malawi , Africa
I love playing the piano.
In my home growing up we always had classical music playing on the cd player. My father played the guitar and my mother played the auto harp when I was really young.

I was interested in learning how to play an instrument but neither the opportunity or will smile developed for me to actually do something about it.

Fast forward 17 years and my husband buys an old upright piano for himself to fiddle around with. That is when my desire to learn came back to me. I discovered Alfred's Basic Adult all-in-one Course books and have now reached the 3rd book.

#2588761 - 11/20/16 12:33 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: dogperson]
Falsch Offline

Horrors, I know, but I play much more Chopin and Debussy.
Try Bach BWV 578 - if this doesn't work for you, try reposting on the Adult Beginner's or the Pianists forums where you will get more Bach afficiendos that read the thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y76uH2xu670

I know BWV 578 (at least, as a listener).

It's a three voice fugue, if I remember correctly. I'll give it a try. See you around in 2024 smile

#2589334 - 11/22/16 06:49 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Smoothsurf Offline

Loc: North Carolina, USA
Why do I play piano?
The piano is just one part of me, yes. But in those moments, when I perform. Without a doubt the piano is everything to me. If I tried to take it away it would be like plucking off my limbs. I could never live without the piano, it is something that no matter what is taken away from me or where I am in my life that I will always have. No matter what. I will never forget the piano, not a chance! Because I live for those moments. Because I'm a musician. The piano is what keeps me from losing my heart...it brings me love and passion. To me, music is freedom, and the piano is how I express that freedom.

"Music is freedom."

#2590276 - 11/26/16 04:37 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Bankie Offline

Loc: Nr Glasgow, Scotland
As I've just registered, this thread is probably a good place to make my first post, rather than lurk.

I've been playing piano for just over 2 and a half years, and it was triggered by listening to Muse's "Collateral Damage", which is an altered version of Chopin's Nocturne Op9 No2 with some added strings. I tried learning it on a midi keyboard with the Alicia's Keys soft synth, but it just didn't cut the mustard, so I bought a Roland RD-800 (though I've since moved to a V-Piano).

So why do I play piano? I've played guitar since I was 7 (I'm 45 now), but however good I got, I always felt I was fighting the instrument and couldn't put enough into the feel and emotion of what I was playing. The piano is just so much easier, and though it arguably lacks the expression of a string instrument, just being able to concentrate on the music brings more of the joy of playing and putting myself into it rather than always thinking about getting my fingers into the right place. It's great to have found an instrument I can spend hours practising, and really enjoy the journey of improving and becoming comfortable with a piece, rather than getting frustrated with my lack of skill.

In short, it just feels natural and "right" for me.

#2590283 - 11/26/16 04:57 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Falsch Offline

LOL... the guitar. I've tried it a few times. I always felt like Dr. McCoy.

"Dammit Jim, I'm a musician, not a hand contortionist!"

One of my friends is quite a good guitar player, and I cringe at some of the chords I see him making with his left hand. That guy must have fingers with 6 parts instead of three. On the other hand, he thinks I've got three brains because I can play the organ...

Good luck on the piano smile

#2591419 - 12/01/16 01:29 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
dewar Offline

Not really sure why. I always enjoyed piano music even though we never had one. In school I ended up playing an assortment of wind instruments but not the piano as they didn't have one. Kind of a shame we didn't have the great actions we do today back then and with rental ability lol. I probably would have mastered it back then as a kid the right way.

Anywho, it wasn't until years later we were cleaning out a business and my mother whos a packrat and a half found this old upright Baldwin that had seen better days. So with it loaded into our 4 season temperature garage out of tune by a couple of keys I learned from reference notes and then ear.( back when the net wasn't mainstream) After that then I invested in a cheap portable until I retrained myself to play reading music then I invested in a better used weighted key, and now have a nice expensive one with great keys.

Now I just enjoy playing for myself. I spend hours lost in thought on that thing. I still cheat sometimes and play by ear and quick key reference to memorize songs I like quicker though. I think no matter what ya play as long as you love it learning is easy. Its just constant endless repetition until you can do it fluidly.

#2591691 - 12/02/16 08:49 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
outss Offline

Never felt like i was really made for guitar, piano just felt right; I felt comfortable.

#2593563 - 12/10/16 05:57 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
tenuki Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, Wa
I play other instruments, I came to the piano after cello and trombone and after a short stint at the piano in college I learned guitar and played in punk and alt bands for years. I'm coming back to the piano now because of jazz and because of playing by myself a lot. The piano is the closest I can get to what I hear in my head, i.e. a trio or quartet, not just a single instrument. I'm also studying theory now for the first time and the piano is definitely the place to do that.

That's the reasoning part of my brain's idea. I suspect there is something deeper. My mother was a professional keyboardist, organ, piano, even some vibes, and a music teacher. After she passed I used the small amount of money she left me to buy a piano, and recommitted to it then. I'm pretty sure I'm doing it now mostly because it gets me close to her again. She was strictly classical, and that isn't my style, but the intent is the same. So many nights falling asleep to greigs concerto or something similar in my youth...

On top of all of that.... I _like_ it, it makes me giddy. Guess that's all the reason I really need.

Edited by tenuki (12/10/16 05:59 AM)

#2593565 - 12/10/16 06:29 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Albunea Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spain
That's sweet, tenuki. smile

#2595093 - 12/15/16 06:12 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
cynalan Offline

Loc: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
My extended family are quite musical; many have played in bands performing at weddings. From the time I was a child I always wanted to play the piano. Unfortunately, my parents could not afford a piano and I was saddled with an accordion instead. I never liked it though i did pass my grade 10. In high school, I learned to play the viola and oboe.

From the time I met my wife, I enjoyed dabbling on her family's piano, but obviously had a nonexistent left hand. I bought a midi keyboard and enjoyed arranging and recording songs... but my technique never improved.

Approximately 8 years ago, when I turned 50, her parent's shipped their piano to me. I took 4 years of lessons and loved every minute of it. Unfortunately, my teacher took ill and passed away and I was so busy in my career, I stopped taking lessons.

Two years ago, I retired and found a new teacher who I find inspirational. Why do I play. Quite simple... I have a passion for music and find playing very relaxing.

#2596300 - 12/19/16 08:00 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Gyeo-wool Offline

I started playing piano when I was late 8 or 9.for almost 3 years I learned it but after that I had to quit for my own family reason.10 years later, I started to learn to play piano by myself(I was student but I worked) and have been studying still. well, there are lots of reasons I still play piano. many comics and books inspired me, and there are so many things Id love to learn! and so on.that some stuffs makes me keep going.

#2596375 - 12/20/16 01:37 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
RaggedKeyPresser Offline
500 Post Club Member

Right now, I'm playing it because it is a good discipline for the mind and trains it to focus.
Also: Use it, or lose it.
You've got to always move forward.
Hoping to graduate well within two years of study. Now at #71 of Opus 599 and behind schedule.

#2596483 - 12/20/16 10:55 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Falsch Offline

Hey, Tenuki.... do you play Go, by any chance?

(The Japanese Go term 'tenuki' means 'to play somewhere else', away from the main action on the board.)

#2596686 - 12/20/16 07:22 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
aokman Offline

Loc: VIC, Australia
I have always loved the piano and violin but never had the chance when I was a kid to learn other than a plastic recorder which didn't inspire me at all to study music unfortunately frown One day I realised as an adult, hey why the heck don't I learn now as there is nothing stopping me.

I have been battling with depression for about a year now and anxiety which has been getting worse from time to time and thought It would be a great way to try rewiring my brain and bring some change and challenge to my life, it has been a battle, especially with my lessons and getting a bit nervous and anxious about it but I am pushing through slowly smile

#2596697 - 12/20/16 07:46 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
TonyB Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Twin Cities
Why do I play the piano?

What else would I do with it?

Tony

#2599947 - 01/01/17 02:28 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
joyoussong Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
LOL!!! Tony, sometimes I feel that way - gets me through the days when I think it's hopeless!!

#2599964 - 01/01/17 03:15 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
TonyB Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Twin Cities
Yes, sometimes it is good to just be practical about it. smile

Tony

#2600042 - 01/01/17 08:45 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
BWV846 Offline

Loc: New York, New York
I play because I have loved classical music since I could barely walk and I was the only one in my family who really loved it...everyone in the family listened to popular music during the 1950s and 60s. They did not discourage me but they did really encourage me; I feel that at times I had to stick up for what I wanted. We were a poor family and could not afford to let me get lessons. Now I realize that may have been a blessing because of the type of teacher available in my town; my interests might have been too elevated. I may sound it but I am not trying to be too snobbish.

I taught myself to read music when in high school because I heard and immediately loved the sound of the recorder and then played a lot of Renaissance music into well into my 30s. I have some beautiful hand made instruments (soprano through bass) that I occasionally pick up and play.

When electronic keyboards became easily available with earphones I started to teach myself how to finger a keyboard and then use the library to find scores of pieces of music that I loved.

Now that I am on the other side of the keyboard I really enjoy listening to piano music for far longer periods of time than I had patience for in the past.

Of course the biggest thing in recent time is that I am taking piano lessons from a really great young conservatory trained musician who has opened my ears quite a bit by just being next to me and watching carefully while I try to figure what finger to use and when to use it. Still I am proud because he has said that I am his "most musical" student.

If the genie with three wishes came along I would want:
to be a concert pianist (at least for a time)
to conduct an orchestra (at least one good symphony cycle)
to compose some orchestral music that at least some people would like.

Now that I am retired, listening and playing music at the keyboard is an immense fulfillment and addition to my life. I think Jefferson said, "I cannot live without books." Well, I cannot live without music.

"If at first you succeed, try to hide your astonishment."

#2600068 - 01/01/17 09:46 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Piano World Offline

Thanks for sharing Joseph, and every one else who has chosen to share with us why you play the piano.

I love hearing all the stories, regardless of if they are very short or more involved.
It is interesting to me to learn what path brought each of you to the piano.

A simple but telling example of how much I love the piano happened just yesterday when I took my Kathy (and her daughter) to a movie. We were running late, it was 12:18 and the movie started at 12:20 (well, the previews did).

We'd never been to this particular theater. I dropped the two girls off to get the tickets while I looked for a parking space.
When I walked into the lobby there was a baby grand in the middle.
I immediately walked up to it, realized the fallboard was up and there they were, 88 lovely keys just begging me to play them. So I did.
Kathy said to Kerry "I knew he'd go right to the piano".
Yes, I always go right to the piano, I can't resist. I'm drawn to it like a moth to a flame.
I could no more walk away from that piano without playing something than I could walk away without breathing.

I'm not a great pianist, heck I'm not even a good pianist. But I love it so much I can't even explain it.

So please, keep the stories coming.
I'd love to hear ... Why Do YOU Play the Piano?
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
ProRecord.info
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
www.linkedin.com/in/pianoworld
My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190 w/ ProRecord, Yamaha P-80, Estey 1895 Pump Organ, Harpsichord (kit), Clavichord (kit), Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
Invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!

#2600253 - 01/02/17 11:26 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Music Me Offline

BMV846-
I am very soon to retire and look forward to having all the time I want to dedicate tot he library of music I want to learn. This is only one goal amongst many regarding playing. Just like you, this is an immense fulfillment and addition to my life.

#2600422 - 01/02/17 08:38 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Timmytee Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Hi,
I play because it is fun. I'm 54 and retired, now I have some time so I started lessons in September. I can almost play Jingle Bells without sheet music. woohoo!
There's satisfaction in the challenge, in the journey. I was forced into lessons as a kid, rebelled after a few months and never touched a piano again until Sept, 2016.
Someday I'm going to play "Faust" by Paul Williams, from the movie "Phantom of the Paradise". And some jazz - Ramsey Lewis. And Yanni... (And, and, and all those other guys pieces)
Also it's good for the brain and soul, keeps dementia away, makes you happy, smarter, and I look at the piano and it says "play". I have to obey.

Cheers,

Tim

#2601831 - 01/06/17 10:52 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
BillTheSlink Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
The reason for me playing is actually very frightening. I am only 41 and am already declining cognitively. The doctor said it could be early onset dementia. It could also be just not challenging my brain with different stimuli. I was just pretty much surfing the net endlessly all day everyday and watching a ton of YouTube videos and reading books by the dozen as I am disabled and don't work. I couldn't understand at first why the doctor said I wasn't being challenged as all the stuff I was doing was educational, but the doctor explained I need to do something totally different than what I was doing so my brain could develop more connections. I was given the options of like pottery, ceramics, art classes, learning a foreign language, or taking up a new instrument. I have all the "artsy" talent of a tree stump so I know arts and crafts was out of the question. I can't even draw a stick man that looks half-way decent. I told the doctor I already played trumpet and asked if that would work. She said no it had to be a new to me instrument. I had to do something because #1. If Social Security finds you didn't follow doctor's orders over the simplest of things they will take away your benefits saying you're non-compliant. #2 I watched my Grandpa die of some unknown neurological decline resembling Alzheimer's (but they said it was not that 100% they didn't know what it was) and I can promise you I am not going out like that. The final straw came when I couldn't find my wallet and I was tearing the house apart looking for it and it was found in the freezer and I have absolutely no memory of putting it there. Since I have started learning piano there has been a massive turnaround in my memory and problem solving and I have only been playing a month. I really hope this buys me some time because when I see my brain is going and I will soon be to sick to do it I am putting the .357 mag right behind the ear and pulling the trigger. It isn't a prospect I relish at all and I know it's a cowards way out, but like I said I saw it first hand and to me it is a fate worse than death.

#2604383 - 01/14/17 02:35 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Medved1 Offline

Loc: New York
I hope the good news keeps coming for you, and I am sure I speak for many. But you can count on support here on good news days and bad news days.

#2604707 - 01/15/17 02:28 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Ralphiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

BillTheSlink, I hope you stay with us and get a lot of enjoyment and benefit from the piano. There is much to do here at PianoWorld, and the group is very supportive. From your brief description above, it sounds like your doctor wants you participating and learning, not merely watching. So, jump in and join in. There is much to do here, and you will be a welcome addition to our group.

Casio Privia PX-760
Pianoteq Stage

#2604765 - 01/15/17 05:43 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Mike1593 Offline

I just started playing the piano last October and wish I had started when I was very young. I'll be 77 next April so that will probably limit the amount of time left to really learn this wonderful instrument.

I've played guitar most of my life and started the hammered dulcimer a couple of years ago after cancer therapy caused my hands to cripple to the point where I could not play the guitar.

Never had much musical training and decided to learn more about music theory. When I tried to relate the theory to the dulcimer, a friend suggested that the use of a small keyboard would probably make more sense than using the dulcimer. So I bought an inexpensive small one and to my surprise, I found that, even with my hands as they were, I could play it. I liked the sound and the fact that I could more easily relate the music notes to where the keys were on the keyboard than on the dulcimer.

I got to the point where I wanted a full 88 keyboard and bought a Kiwaii ES8 and could not be happier, love the sound. My wife has a friend who teaches piano and I have been taking classical lessons with her.

Probably will never make it to Carnegie Hall but will still enjoy the effort to get there.

Edited by Mike1593 (01/15/17 05:45 PM)

#2604784 - 01/15/17 06:53 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
dogperson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

@Mike,

Welcome to the forum, and I love your story! Yes, there are few of us (any?) here that will make it to Carnegie Hall... but the journey to get there? A lot of fun and personally rewarding. The music, at every level, is enormously vast so we don't have to make the final destination.

To hear that you started the piano at 77 and taking lessons? Inspiring.

#2604789 - 01/15/17 07:19 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Falsch Offline

@Bill: good look man; I hope you can hang in there. Losing my mental faculties, becoming blind or deaf, are my worst fears to be honest.

@Mike: That's wonderful smile I'd love my father to pick up something like piano as well. He's going to be 77 as well this year, and most of the time when I visit him he tells me he's bored. I'm afraid that is his own doing though, as he rejects any activity I suggest, except for making the occasional crossword.

Edited by Falsch (01/15/17 07:19 PM)

#2604941 - 01/16/17 10:22 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
happyhacker Offline

In my retirement I want something to stretch my mind (learn the theory and learn to read scores) and the physical aspect esp. hand independence. So I'm learning Jazz piano.

#2604948 - 01/16/17 10:49 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: BillTheSlink]
Goss Online   happy
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: the Netherlands
Hello Bill

It can also be a state of mind resulting from illness, like your doctor suggests. Personally I have experienced such things very early in life - Crohn's disease emaciated me and from time to time it really lowers my thresholds..
My mother over the Christmas period also experienced something like this also - We were all very concerned, but as it turns out also due to a lack of stimulus and overal poor physical condition..

I hope you find pleasure and challenge!

#2605040 - 01/16/17 03:43 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
fofig Offline

So, Here I am... I started the piano the year I turned 40. I play the guitar as teenager but I really did not practice sufficiently. I was good at music theory as I am very much inclined toward math and science but I was a disaster for musicality.

I started with the piano for two main reasons.

Music making was missing in my life and once my life got on more stable track I wanted to spend my free time practicing and learning it. Piano attracted because for the fantastic sound and the opportunity it offers.

The second reason was because my daughter was growing fast and I wanted to have music in her life. So, I thought that the best situation for here would have been to have someone learning at the same time as her.

And so now she is playing since she was 4. Now almost 6, she has an amazing musicality and she is a good student. I don't know if she stick to it, but she has the best opportunities.

A guitarist friend of mine told me: "SO you want to become a typist...." oh how much you are wrong my good friend... I cannot play well, but I know now how much you are wrong.

#2605069 - 01/16/17 05:00 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
tussi635 Offline

Loc: Norge
Jeg ble glad i piano som lita fordi naboen hadde et jeg fikk lov å låne til å klimpre på med små fingre. Etter det har jeg vært solgt. Men, fikk ikke leksjoner eller piano før jeg ble voksen, da stod det der! Til min bursdag! Gjett om jeg var glad! Kunne ikke spille, men jeg var med i et kor hvor en verdenskjent pianist og musiker underviste oss og jeg fikk time hos han. Dermed var det gjort. Akkurat nå har jeg ikke pianoet her hos meg, men venter på å få det hit.
Det er et merke ved navn Hellas og det har nydelig klang og flott å spille på.
Er sånn hobbypianist, for jeg er litt opp i årene men jeg er så glad i pianomusikk. Lytter ekstra når jeg hører kun et musikkstykke fremført av det.

#2605072 - 01/16/17 05:05 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: tussi635]
Piano World Offline

Originally Posted By tussi635
Jeg ble glad i piano som lita fordi naboen hadde et jeg fikk lov å låne til å klimpre på med små fingre. Etter det har jeg vært solgt. Men, fikk ikke leksjoner eller piano før jeg ble voksen, da stod det der! Til min bursdag! Gjett om jeg var glad! Kunne ikke spille, men jeg var med i et kor hvor en verdenskjent pianist og musiker underviste oss og jeg fikk time hos han. Dermed var det gjort. Akkurat nå har jeg ikke pianoet her hos meg, men venter på å få det hit.
Er sånn hobbypianist, for jeg er litt opp i årene men jeg er så glad i pianomusikk. Lytter ekstra når jeg hører kun et musikkstykke fremført av det.

For those who may be wondering (as I was), here is Google's attempt at translating the above...

I was fond of the piano as little because the neighbor had one I was allowed to borrow to strum on with small fingers. After what I've been sold.
However, not given lessons or piano until I was an adult, then stood there! For my birthday!
Guess if I was happy! Could not play, but I was a choir where a world famous pianist and musician taught us and I got an appointment with him. Thus, it was done. Right now I have no piano here with me, but waiting to get it here.
It is a brand by name Greece and it has lovely timbre and great to play.

Is like hobby pianist, for I am a bit up in years but I am so fond of piano music. Listens extra when I hear only a piece of music performed by it.

-------------------------------
- Frank B.

#2605097 - 01/16/17 06:13 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
peterws Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I only play the piano because of this site. I retired from Crematorium organ work, and . . . stopped. The recitals and everything else are great, and inspiring.

""

#2605244 - 01/17/17 06:43 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
RaggedKeyPresser Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Piano World
Originally Posted By tussi635

For those who may be wondering (as I was), here is Google's attempt at translating the above...

I was fond of the piano as little because the neighbor had one I was allowed to borrow to strum on with small fingers. After what I've been sold.
However, not given lessons or piano until I was an adult, then stood there! For my birthday!
Guess if I was happy! Could not play, but I was a choir where a world famous pianist and musician taught us and I got an appointment with him. Thus, it was done. Right now I have no piano here with me, but waiting to get it here.
It is a brand by name Greece and it has lovely timbre and great to play.

Is like hobby pianist, for I am a bit up in years but I am so fond of piano music. Listens extra when I hear only a piece of music performed by it.

-------------------------------
- Frank B.

Hi Frank,
I know Swedish as a first language, and also Norwegian quite well.
It's interesting to see the result of the Google translation, and it's doing a fair job actually.
At the same time, it demonstrates the importance of using clear and precise grammar in one's writing!
After what I can see, the computer algorithms are not to blame for some comical results grin

#2607868 - 01/24/17 09:34 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Isabelle1949 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New Orleans, LA
I play the piano because I love the sounds that come from that big beautiful machine. I've loved the piano as far back as I can remember, maybe the age of 34 or 5. My father was a pipe organ builder/repairman and also tuned pianos. We always had a complimentary piano in our home and my dad often played it. He couldn't read a lick of music but could play beautifully by ear. My grandfather was professor of piano at Newcomb College in New Orleans, manymany decade ago. I grew up in a piano family, unfortunately as far as my music educations goes, I was lost in the cracks. I taught myself to read music when I was about 36 and went on to take lessons years later. I just love to play the piano, whether I play good or bad. I'll never stop.

#2608238 - 01/25/17 04:52 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Isabelle1949]
RaggedKeyPresser Offline
500 Post Club Member

You have music in your genes, Isabelle1949

#2608776 - 01/26/17 05:44 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
JanaAz Offline

My entire family played musical instruments and my hubby plays several himself. I never learned to read music and was never given the opportunity to learn an instrument. It has been a bucket list item for me to learn to read music and play,the piano for as long as I can remember.

I got a keyboard for Christmas a few years ago and didn't touch it for 8 months. I finally started taking lessons. Although I usually,pick,things up quickly, it's not happening with playing the piano. I stopped taking lessons "for the summer" and here it is almost February and I haven't started back on lessons.

Why do I play the piano....to fill an empty spot, and I guess it'll fill slowly at the rate I'm going. I need to find the joy in being awful and quit feeling incompetent when it takes me a while to get it.

#2609204 - 01/27/17 10:18 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
mary gregorio Offline

I play piano because it makes me feel great and relaxed. I have attended piano classes in my childhood. Last week, I enjoyed playing it outdoor using Encore Piano Moving services.

#2609375 - 01/28/17 12:23 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
pravinrocks Offline

Loc: Maharashtra
I Learned Harmonium in childhood by observing my mom's teacher, Later I started playing Guitar by my own in my teenage days, I did that 4 years then came to know proper training will help me to improve, did RGT 8 grade meanwhile started teaching Guitar and released learning Piano will help me learning music theory better coz learning theory with Guitar can be confusing initially - because of 6 strings and many fret locations... I mean I got confused in my starting period. so slowly shifted to learning Piano then did Trinity Grade 5 and continuing... Now I teach Piano Online

#2611453 - 02/03/17 11:51 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
entrust Offline

I play the piano to learn how music works. I used to make sampled music so not everything is completely new to me, but I always hated that I couldn't flip the theme musically besides what sample had to offer. I always admired people who played on instruments and in my case learning piano is most beneficial as I'm able to use all sounds from my plugins and synthesizers. My current skill doesn't satisfy me as I was able to make better beats by using just mouse. Long story short I'm learning piano for the purpose of my beats. I want them to be rich, musical and to capture the feeling that I'm feeling.

#2611700 - 02/04/17 08:38 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
KOTA0323 Offline

I play the piano because I love playing the piano.
Is there any other reason??

#2612143 - 02/06/17 01:27 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
tedkaz Offline

Loc: NJ, US
Passion for music drives my passion for playing, unlikely I will ever be a great player, but I still have those moments when I lose myself and say why can't I do that more often :-)

#2612343 - 02/07/17 09:00 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Peakski Offline

Loc: UK, Bucks
For me it's very simple. I love the piano sound and always wished I could play it. Now I have the time and resources to give it my best shot (aged 49). I'll be more than happy if I can learn to play a few of my favourite tunes to a reasonable level and I really hope my 2 young girls will grow into it. My wife is also pretty keen to learn, so it will hopefully become a hobby for the whole family to enjoy. The challenge of learning is also a factor, but really it comes down to loving the sound of the piano and of course the actual music.

#2613482 - 02/11/17 09:46 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Emily Thorn Offline

I play the piano because one day, I fell in love with it and just couldn't live without it.
When I was younger my father grew very sick and we couldn't afford me taking piano lessons.
After many tears I had gotten a keyboard but, without lessons, I quickly grew frustrated about my little improvement. After my father left and my mother, my sister and I moved into our new home I finally persuaded my mother and take piano lessons since November smile I even bought myself a digital piano in January smile
I practice everyday to, with a lot of luck, be able to study piano after school.

#2613609 - 02/11/17 05:35 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
nancyde Offline

Good for you Emily. I am glad you are filling your heart's desire. It seems to take a long time to see any real improvement (at least for me) but it is a wonderful journey.

#2614755 - 02/15/17 12:58 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
cmb13 Offline

I'm playing for a few reasons. First, I have always loved music, at least since I was about 11 years old and my friend's father owned a stereo store in Westchester. That was in 1980. I began playing guitar in my 20's but realized that without singing, and without being in a band, guitar didn't sound full enough to me. Piano can be played without accompaniment and sound like a full instrument.

Aside from that, I have been using it as Dementia Prevention. My mother had dementia in her mid to late 60's. Realizing I have some of the genetics, I'm doing everything I can to prevent or at least delay it. As Bill stated above, piano specifically, and art and other cognitive activities in general, may help. Additionally, I eat really well, exercise, and challenge myself mentally as much as time allows. By improving blood flow to the brain, research has demonstrated that the symptoms may be less severe or occur later. My mother was very bright, but did not eat well or exercise at all. Who knows if it may have been different. One thing for certain is that medicines didn't do anything to help her.

My journey as a complete beginner a few years ago has taken me to a new appreciation for the world of music. I began as a Rock and Blues fan, but haven taken a lesson every two weeks for the past two to three years has taken me to jazz and now classical music. I've been playing Autumn Leaves, Misty, All The Things You Are, and recently began Moonlight Sonata (1st mvmt). It's rather sad, actually, how few of my contemporaries (45-50 years old) know anything about the world of classical music - but that's for a different thread.

#2618703 - 02/27/17 10:37 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Semei Offline

Loc: Canada
Because the piano is there!

#2619963 - 03/03/17 11:44 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
oscar1 Offline

I assume my story would be the polar opposite of most people here.

Lot of people in my family played piano (some even as conservatory piano teachers) and as a child I remember I wanted to play piano very much. In fact I remember as a 1st grader I subscribed myself to piano lessons when the teachers came to promote it in my class, and was extremely looking forward to it.
But my parents said very resolute no (mostly because of their own bad experience ? or they didn't want to look for piano or something like that) and so I never get to go to any lessons. :-( or to actually play any instrument since neither my primary nor secondary school had any instruments to teach. Literally zero. (in fact there was absolutely no art or music class in my secondary education at all) So I never learned to read notes. My parents also mysteriously claimed and joked that I am tone deaf...
Instead they signed me for an art class after school. (I did like it BTW, it was great fun, superb teacher and got some awards and such)

So as soon as I became independent from my parents which was in my late university years I tried to learn to play on everything that could make a sound, all by myself. I now play guitar, violin and keyboard. I even made few instruments by myself, including violin, few acoustic guitars, hammered dulcimer...
But because of the 20 years wasted, I advance slowly (and also don't have that much time). The old brain tries to fight back on any new info. I am to this day jealous of people who got a good music education from their early years... but maybe it is just my apology for not working too hard.

Edited by oscar1 (03/03/17 11:52 AM)

#2620052 - 03/03/17 05:52 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
SpinelleRouge Offline

Loc: NYC
For the love of it. It's meditative and therapeutic for me.

#2621232 - 03/07/17 07:04 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
HJKMusic Offline

This is my first post here, I loved reading why you are playing the piano. Here's why I do it!

I started playing piano at eight years old. I was playing at a friend's place and they had a piano.
I sat down there and pressed some keys. Now it just so happened that the father of the friend I was with, was a piano teacher. So he gave me an easy piece to play. Sadly, I can't remember what it was.
However, I can remember that I absolutely loved that experience. So I ran home afterwards and asked my parents if I could get piano lessons from my friend's father.
Luckily they thought it was a good idea. And here I am, ten years later. I am still in love with the piano, I play at party's, I write my own music, I put music videos out on Youtube and now I'm even on a piano forum! wink

It's great to see so many enthusiasts and I really look forward to learning from and contributing to this forum!
HJKMusic on Youtube

#2622180 - 03/10/17 07:59 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
sharkeyboard Online   content

Loc: London
I play the piano because loads of my favourite songs to listen to have a decent piano component to them and I like the fact that I can play more complete songs (melody, base, harmony, etc) whereas many other instruments are more limited in their range.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.
Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
A. Geyer Pianos
A. Geyer Pianos
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Saddest Piece Ever?
by SiFi
03/23/17 01:46 AM
How long does it usually take to learn a piece?
by Cutestpuppie
03/22/17 10:45 PM
Help me decide
by TSuppa
03/22/17 09:15 PM
Ivory keys expert advice needed
by Jorge Andrade
03/22/17 08:06 PM
Good news and terrible news
by sara elizabeth
03/22/17 06:19 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Forum Stats
87,083 Registered Members
44 Forums
178,506 Topics
2,609,058 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission