Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
106 registered members (AZNpiano, anamnesis, bluebillytwo, Beemer, accordeur, 32 invisible), 1,433 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2737135
05/16/18 11:27 AM
05/16/18 11:27 AM
Brentwood, TN USA
FrankieC Offline
FrankieC  Offline
Brentwood, TN USA
I play because, like all of you, I love it. It all started for me with my mother. While she gave me my first official lesson at the age of five, the truth of the matter is that I can't remember ever not playing from the day I was born. The piano was always in my house and by the time I was 12 it was in my bedroom. It was a Star upright. I loved it. I think I was about 15 when at the advise of my piano instructor my my mom sold the upright and bought a 6'1" Horugle which I practiced on diligently every day during my teenage years through college. I love playing so much I can't stand being away from it. Even when I travel, which is quite a bit, I bring a snap-together version of a piano keyboard that does not make any sound just so I can practice in the hotel room. I recall studying with a teacher in Prescott Valley, Arizona in the 1980's when I did not have a piano. I had a lesson every day with him and I practiced on a window sill so I could be prepared for my lessons. I don't even want to think about what life would be like if piano were not a part of my life. I feel truly blessed to be able to play and thank heavens every day for the chance to play just one more time.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: FrankieC] #2737150
05/16/18 12:27 PM
05/16/18 12:27 PM
Union SC
monkeeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
monkeeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Union SC
Originally Posted by FrankieC
I don't even want to think about what life would be like if piano were not a part of my life. I feel truly blessed to be able to play and thank heavens every day for the chance to play just one more time.

So true. It’s great that you stuck with music from childhood on.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently Unit 4
Alfred Adult Piano 1-ebook version
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2742872
06/07/18 05:10 PM
06/07/18 05:10 PM
Wisconsin, USA
L
Lakeviewsteve Offline
500 Post Club Member
Lakeviewsteve  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Wisconsin, USA
When I was 6 years old my mother exposed my older sister and I to the piano because she loved it but never played. She enrolled my sister at the conservatory. I was able to play what she could without lessons so my mom enrolled me as well. It was the best thing my mother ever did for me as far as I'm concerned. I studied for 17 more years and continued playing. I've participated in four masters piano classes since and still love it. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't play daily. I lived in Europe for twelve years and have to honestly say the Europeans take it much more seriously and rightly so given history.

Steve

Bösendorfer 170
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2743764
06/11/18 11:27 PM
06/11/18 11:27 PM
Quebec city, QC
Jouishy Offline
Jouishy  Offline
Quebec city, QC
Why do I continue playing piano?

Because it makes me feels good! smile

What else could you ask for?

Why did I came to the piano in the first place? That's a little bit funny, but because I wanted to play music again, after quitting my clarinet for 10 years, and want to be able to play in apartment without disturbing the neighbors. So digital piano seemed a great option.
Then, I disliked the sound of digital piano (even expensive ones), but loved the piano, so I bought a house, and lately, bought my first acoustic piano!
And now, I wish to have years of loving music with my new life companion!

My piano journey from day 1
Started piano on February 2016.
Pieces I'm working on :
- Mozart's K545, 1st and 3rd mov
- Tina's theme from FF VI piano collections
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2743774
06/12/18 12:11 AM
06/12/18 12:11 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline
I've always been a classical music appreciator and often attend performing arts performances. One day, I was on Amazon.com searching for something else the day before a big holiday trip and came across a DP. I wondered if I could learn how to play myself. I bought it as an Xmas present for myself, but it was backordered. When I got back from my holiday, I found... no DP. It finally arrived halfway through January 2018 after I decided to email the reseller after a month went by from the time I placed my order, to dun them -- I had decided that maybe I didn't need to learn to play after all if they were going to take their sweet time getting it to me -- but as sometimes happens when you get tough with the vendor, it immediately was delivered 2 days after my call. Then it was my turn to be lazy. All the items sat in boxes in the corner, unpacked, for another month as life went on. Finally, on Valentine's Day, I decided to unpack my belated Xmas gift laugh. This was around the time when another friend offered to take the DP off my hands if I wasn't going to even unpack it. When I had it all set up that day, I searched the Internet for lessons and came up with a few options, and quickly signed up for two of the options within an hour or so. One of these turned out to be a failure since although I ordered and received all the books for it, I couldn't figure out how to proceed by myself. I'm doing the other of those two now (Piano Marvel) and am making progress -- well into level 4 out of 6 in that system now. Subsequently discovered this forum after I tried to post a few messages to the Reddit piano group and got... typical Reddit responses. laugh

So here I am at T+118 days since I unpacked the DP and played my first note. Not particularly yearning to play any one particular thing. Not even necessarily feeling like I need to play for others. It just seems like a nice activity. A nice way to pass the time. But this utter lack of any specific self-direction or self-initiated goals is one reason I've decided to take some piano exams and the lessons towards those ends. I hope it will give me some measure of progress towards "something", as there is not anything specific I want to accomplish myself.

That's it. Now that I've told my story, I'm thinking hard about deleting it since it sounds so prosaic and unromantic, unlike the other stories here. laugh

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 06/12/18 12:14 AM.

across the stone, deathless piano performances
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2743929
06/12/18 03:57 PM
06/12/18 03:57 PM
N
nancyde Online content
Silver Subscriber
nancyde  Online Content
Silver Subscriber
N
Jouishy--many congratulations are in order. A new house, a new piano and a new life partner. I wish you many, many years of happiness.

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2743944
06/12/18 04:45 PM
06/12/18 04:45 PM
Quebec city, QC
Jouishy Offline
Jouishy  Offline
Quebec city, QC
Just to be sure : the life partner is the piano. It is not a person. laugh

Thanks for your good wishes

My piano journey from day 1
Started piano on February 2016.
Pieces I'm working on :
- Mozart's K545, 1st and 3rd mov
- Tina's theme from FF VI piano collections
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2744173
06/13/18 03:33 PM
06/13/18 03:33 PM
N
nancyde Online content
Silver Subscriber
nancyde  Online Content
Silver Subscriber
N
Excellent choice.

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2748826
07/02/18 05:02 PM
07/02/18 05:02 PM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Offline
Progman  Offline
P
Southeast USA
In 1974 at 15 years old my older brother took me to my first concert - Emerson, Lake & Palmer. That was wild, Keith Emerson was a keyboard maniac.That set into motion my love of progressive rock music of the 70's (i am progman). And my favorite portions of that music are piano. It turns out my grandfather on my Dad's side played piano in local bands up until he passed just before I was born. My Dad (only child) was forced to take piano for many years and hated it - I only learned this late in high school when we were in a house with a piano and he played some nice chords. So I imagine the reason am attracted to piano is from Grandpa who I never met. I did buy a digital in the 90's and some method books but didn't stick to it. When I was figuring out my retirement plan, learning piano was one of the main commitments. I was lucky enough to retire early, so here I go at 59. I have a great teacher that knows Keith Emerson and is supportive of my progressive rock thing. Her only demands are that I sight read and learn how to count for rhythm.

Progman
1997 Baldwin 'Classic' Console
Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  BB Player 

Check Out Our Newsletter!
Our August 2018 Free Newsletter for Piano Enthusiasts is here now, check it out!
Piano World Newsletter
(ad)
Jazz Piano Lessons
Jazz Piano Lessons
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sara Davis Buechner on Mozart and Virtuosity
by Rich Galassini. 08/18/18 12:58 PM
CLP-685 CLP-675 buying advice
by Janerik. 08/18/18 12:11 PM
Kawai GE30 vs Kawai GL10
by Katieji. 08/18/18 10:53 AM
Piano shopping in Montreal Ca.
by Tweedpipe. 08/18/18 09:49 AM
Sara Davis Buechner on Mozart
by Rich Galassini. 08/18/18 08:44 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,941
Posts2,739,621
Members90,794
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission