Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
144 registered members (anotherscott, APassionatePianist, agraffe, Alex Hutor, AaronSF, ando, ASR, atcsam, astrotoy, 34 invisible), 1,672 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2609375
01/28/17 01:23 PM
01/28/17 01:23 PM
Maharashtra
P
pravinrocks Offline
pravinrocks  Offline
P

Maharashtra
I Learned Harmonium in childhood by observing my mom's teacher, Later I started playing Guitar by my own in my teenage days, I did that 4 years then came to know proper training will help me to improve, did RGT 8 grade meanwhile started teaching Guitar and released learning Piano will help me learning music theory better coz learning theory with Guitar can be confusing initially - because of 6 strings and many fret locations... I mean I got confused in my starting period. so slowly shifted to learning Piano then did Trinity Grade 5 and continuing... Now I teach Piano Online

I like to help people learn Piano the Easy Way
10 Days Mini Piano Course Free http://www.pianomagics.com
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2611453
02/04/17 12:51 AM
02/04/17 12:51 AM
E
entrust Offline
entrust  Offline
E

I play the piano to learn how music works. I used to make sampled music so not everything is completely new to me, but I always hated that I couldn't flip the theme musically besides what sample had to offer. I always admired people who played on instruments and in my case learning piano is most beneficial as I'm able to use all sounds from my plugins and synthesizers. My current skill doesn't satisfy me as I was able to make better beats by using just mouse. Long story short I'm learning piano for the purpose of my beats. I want them to be rich, musical and to capture the feeling that I'm feeling.

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2611700
02/04/17 09:38 PM
02/04/17 09:38 PM
K
KOTA0323 Offline
KOTA0323  Offline
K

I play the piano because I love playing the piano.
Is there any other reason??

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2612143
02/06/17 02:27 PM
02/06/17 02:27 PM
NJ, US
T
tedkaz Offline
tedkaz  Offline
T

NJ, US
Passion for music drives my passion for playing, unlikely I will ever be a great player, but I still have those moments when I lose myself and say why can't I do that more often :-)

tmk
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2612343
02/07/17 10:00 AM
02/07/17 10:00 AM
UK, Bucks
P
Peakski Offline
Peakski  Offline
P

UK, Bucks
For me it's very simple. I love the piano sound and always wished I could play it. Now I have the time and resources to give it my best shot (aged 49). I'll be more than happy if I can learn to play a few of my favourite tunes to a reasonable level and I really hope my 2 young girls will grow into it. My wife is also pretty keen to learn, so it will hopefully become a hobby for the whole family to enjoy. The challenge of learning is also a factor, but really it comes down to loving the sound of the piano and of course the actual music.

Roland GP-607
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2613482
02/11/17 10:46 AM
02/11/17 10:46 AM
Emily Thorn Offline
Emily Thorn  Offline

I play the piano because one day, I fell in love with it and just couldn't live without it.
When I was younger my father grew very sick and we couldn't afford me taking piano lessons.
After many tears I had gotten a keyboard but, without lessons, I quickly grew frustrated about my little improvement. After my father left and my mother, my sister and I moved into our new home I finally persuaded my mother and take piano lessons since November smile I even bought myself a digital piano in January smile
I practice everyday to, with a lot of luck, be able to study piano after school.

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2613609
02/11/17 06:35 PM
02/11/17 06:35 PM
N
nancyde Online content
Silver Subscriber
nancyde  Online Content
Silver Subscriber
N

Good for you Emily. I am glad you are filling your heart's desire. It seems to take a long time to see any real improvement (at least for me) but it is a wonderful journey.

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2614755
02/15/17 01:58 PM
02/15/17 01:58 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online sleepy
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Sleepy
Silver Level

Florida
I'm playing for a few reasons. First, I have always loved music, at least since I was about 11 years old and my friend's father owned a stereo store in Westchester. That was in 1980. I began playing guitar in my 20's but realized that without singing, and without being in a band, guitar didn't sound full enough to me. Piano can be played without accompaniment and sound like a full instrument.

Aside from that, I have been using it as Dementia Prevention. My mother had dementia in her mid to late 60's. Realizing I have some of the genetics, I'm doing everything I can to prevent or at least delay it. As Bill stated above, piano specifically, and art and other cognitive activities in general, may help. Additionally, I eat really well, exercise, and challenge myself mentally as much as time allows. By improving blood flow to the brain, research has demonstrated that the symptoms may be less severe or occur later. My mother was very bright, but did not eat well or exercise at all. Who knows if it may have been different. One thing for certain is that medicines didn't do anything to help her.

My journey as a complete beginner a few years ago has taken me to a new appreciation for the world of music. I began as a Rock and Blues fan, but haven taken a lesson every two weeks for the past two to three years has taken me to jazz and now classical music. I've been playing Autumn Leaves, Misty, All The Things You Are, and recently began Moonlight Sonata (1st mvmt). It's rather sad, actually, how few of my contemporaries (45-50 years old) know anything about the world of classical music - but that's for a different thread.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Chopin 28:15
Tchaikovsky Seasons: October

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2618703
02/27/17 11:37 PM
02/27/17 11:37 PM
Canada
S
Semei Offline
Semei  Offline
S

Canada
Because the piano is there!

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2619963
03/03/17 12:44 PM
03/03/17 12:44 PM
oscar1 Offline
oscar1  Offline

I assume my story would be the polar opposite of most people here.

Lot of people in my family played piano (some even as conservatory piano teachers) and as a child I remember I wanted to play piano very much. In fact I remember as a 1st grader I subscribed myself to piano lessons when the teachers came to promote it in my class, and was extremely looking forward to it.
But my parents said very resolute no (mostly because of their own bad experience ? or they didn't want to look for piano or something like that) and so I never get to go to any lessons. :-( or to actually play any instrument since neither my primary nor secondary school had any instruments to teach. Literally zero. (in fact there was absolutely no art or music class in my secondary education at all) So I never learned to read notes. My parents also mysteriously claimed and joked that I am tone deaf...
Instead they signed me for an art class after school. (I did like it BTW, it was great fun, superb teacher and got some awards and such)

So as soon as I became independent from my parents which was in my late university years I tried to learn to play on everything that could make a sound, all by myself. I now play guitar, violin and keyboard. I even made few instruments by myself, including violin, few acoustic guitars, hammered dulcimer...
But because of the 20 years wasted, I advance slowly (and also don't have that much time). The old brain tries to fight back on any new info. I am to this day jealous of people who got a good music education from their early years... but maybe it is just my apology for not working too hard.

Last edited by oscar1; 03/03/17 12:52 PM.

Casio PX-860, Roland Fantom G, Kurzweil PC1X, Korg Micro X
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2620052
03/03/17 06:52 PM
03/03/17 06:52 PM
NYC
S
SpinelleRouge Offline
SpinelleRouge  Offline
S

NYC
For the love of it. It's meditative and therapeutic for me.

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2621232
03/07/17 08:04 PM
03/07/17 08:04 PM
HJKMusic Offline
HJKMusic  Offline

This is my first post here, I loved reading why you are playing the piano. Here's why I do it!

I started playing piano at eight years old. I was playing at a friend's place and they had a piano.
I sat down there and pressed some keys. Now it just so happened that the father of the friend I was with, was a piano teacher. So he gave me an easy piece to play. Sadly, I can't remember what it was.
However, I can remember that I absolutely loved that experience. So I ran home afterwards and asked my parents if I could get piano lessons from my friend's father.
Luckily they thought it was a good idea. And here I am, ten years later. I am still in love with the piano, I play at party's, I write my own music, I put music videos out on Youtube and now I'm even on a piano forum! wink

It's great to see so many enthusiasts and I really look forward to learning from and contributing to this forum!

Play it like you mean it!
You can find my songs here:
HJKMusic on Facebook
HJKMusic on Youtube
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2622180
03/10/17 08:59 AM
03/10/17 08:59 AM
London
S
sharkeyboard Offline
sharkeyboard  Offline
S

London
I play the piano because loads of my favourite songs to listen to have a decent piano component to them and I like the fact that I can play more complete songs (melody, base, harmony, etc) whereas many other instruments are more limited in their range.

Playing for 3 years. Still terrible.
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2627321
03/27/17 05:11 AM
03/27/17 05:11 AM
Bachus Offline
Bachus  Offline

I used to play music because its fun and creative..

But these days under heavy stress at work, i really need to play the piano, because its a stress relieve valve, its better then any other therapy against the stress of the daily life.. put your headset on enter the lovely world of music and forget..

After an hour or sometimes 2, i feel reborn.

Last edited by Bachus; 03/27/17 05:11 AM.
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2627737
03/28/17 12:42 PM
03/28/17 12:42 PM
Massachusetts
J
JayWalkingBlues Offline
JayWalkingBlues  Offline
J

Massachusetts
I play for so many reasons.....I play for therapy, i play to keep my mind engaged, I play for the love of the music, I play to improve myself, and I play to share music with anyone that wants it.

Currently working on:
Asturia (Leyenda) - Isaac Albeniz
Mia and Sabastian's Theme - Kyle Landry arrangement
also working on some vocal training

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2628671
03/31/17 11:51 AM
03/31/17 11:51 AM
Southern Illinois
Herr Rentz Offline
Herr Rentz  Offline

Southern Illinois
My mother and my great uncle both played. My great uncle was very good at ragtime and old standards from the 30's and 40's which to me was very intricate and melodic to listen to.

I first remember climbing up on a piano bench with my mom at around the age of four, but I don't really remember attempting to play until around the age of six.

I started off playing by ear the songs that we learned in grade school because I had no music for it and did not know how to read music at that age.

In fourth grade we were allowed to sign up to learn an instrument having first learned how to play a flute-o-phone in third grade. This taught me to read music and I selected the trumpet to learn to play and used what I knew about learning to read music for the piano.

Years later I took formal private lessons and then again for two years in college.

Last edited by Herr Rentz; 03/31/17 11:56 AM.

Yamaha YDP162, MM8, Taylor T5Z, Epiphone 1960 Tribute Plus, Seagull S6+ TASCAM M2524, DA88, Sennheiser mics, various outboard gear, VOX AC50CP2
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2629350
04/02/17 11:39 AM
04/02/17 11:39 AM
L
Lisa23 Offline
Lisa23  Offline
L

Hi there! I'm new here... I'd like to share with you the reason why I play the piano. When I was a child, I could listen from my home a neighbour (a woman), playing the piano. I was obsessed with that wonderful sound. It wasn't often, only sometimes. I began asking my mum a piano, but I never had it. Not possible, many other things were necessary. I did completely different things in my life, and I totally forgot the piano. Until 3 years ago a colleague accidentally remembered something about my old passion (I once had talked to her about it), and told me about the opportunity to make a selection to enter a local music school. I decided to have a try, not believing much in it, actually. On that day, I found out that I was one of two or three adults, the other being very young people, and I was thinking all the time "I don't know anything, what am I doing here?". I had luck, anyway. It was the start of a wonderful adventure. I cannot imagine my life without playing the piano. Sorry for my bad English.

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2631437
04/08/17 11:05 PM
04/08/17 11:05 PM
U
ukkelo Offline
ukkelo  Offline
U

My answer to why I play piano is to get rid of my aggressions. I need a loud playing instrument like the Yamaha SU-118 to get rid of my neighbors. A supreme instrument, putting most grand pianos in shame, moved countless times like its player and still in tune. Not on sale at any price!

My parents were elementary school teachers with high hopes of the musical talent of their only son. I had a loud, but a hard to control voice with no talent with instruments like strings or horns. Instead, I liked the Galicia piano with decisive keys to strike to get a certain sound.

Anyway, at soon 67, I've still more to learn than teach!

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2631828
04/10/17 10:26 AM
04/10/17 10:26 AM
C
chissho Offline
chissho  Offline
C

Why do I play the piano-good question. One is because I can (sort of). Started ff as child about 10/11 years old. did it for a few years then packed in for errmm about 45 years.
Anyway-decided a few years ago to get a keyboard. A Yamaha DGX 340-it wasn't good. Played from music books what I could remember to sight read and after a few years decided to have lessons.Took ABRSM grade 2 in 2012 vowed never again.Last week took Grade 3 but have failed due to extreme nervousness. Might try again after a hypnosis course or something.

I enjoy it as a hobbyist-wishing I was better but think it will take years. I also enjoy the Tyros 5 keyboard my piano is a CVP 605 both Yamaha products.

Its a good release when I get cross to play Bach Toccata from Alfreds piano book-somehow it keeps me sane.

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2633531
04/16/17 07:06 PM
04/16/17 07:06 PM
UK
A
Aloyah Offline
Aloyah  Offline
A

UK
I had lessons because my mum always wanted her children to play a musical instrument as she never had the opportunity. My brother had organ lessons at a Yamaha centre. I had piano lessons because my paternal grandparents gave my aunt's old Bechstein to our family. My aunt was a piano teacher herself but left the country and passed on all her students to her friend. Her friend was my piano teacher and we must have got mates rates as my dad would leave me there for hours. Other people would come and go and I would just wait it out doing past theory exam papers. Her collection was extensive as she had papers from the 1950s and I had lessons in the 80s. Many, many years of past papers for me to work on. She got me all the way through to ABRSM grade 5 piano and grade 6 theory. We moved countries soon after my grade 6 theory exam and I never really gelled with my new teacher.

I gave up having lessons at 16 after my grade 6 piano exam as I knew grade 7 would be much harder and I just didn't feel it with my new teacher. Never did find another teacher as school and university kept me occupied. It's now 27 years later and I suddenly have this very strong urge to maybe finish off my exams. My scales are wonky, my fingers are weak and my ability to read music is also a bit questionable now. And when I look at what's on the current ABRSM syllabus, it all looks quite strange like a foreign language but I clearly must have understood it a long time ago as I did the exams and passed. We have a Clavinova CLP430 at home that my mum gifted my children a few years ago so that's what I play. Maybe when I get better I can look into getting an acoustic. So here I am at nearly 43, practising my scales and looking back at my old collection of music books to see what I can still play.

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Nord Stage 3 Keybed vs Stage 2 88
by Coker. 03/24/19 05:21 PM
Anyone learning from Schaum?
by Cheshire Chris. 03/24/19 03:34 PM
Piano room size
by Colin Miles. 03/24/19 12:49 PM
Books devoted to one piece
by Animisha. 03/24/19 12:06 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,101
Posts2,810,386
Members92,866
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission