Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Ad
Schumann's 4th Finger
Schumann's 4th Finger Enigma Resolved
Who's Online
127 registered (ajames, alexcawley, 36251, anamnesis, AdrianR, Almaviva, 27 invisible), 1403 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#2620052 - 03/03/17 05:52 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
SpinelleRouge Offline

Loc: NYC
For the love of it. It's meditative and therapeutic for me.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2621232 - 03/07/17 07:04 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
HJKMusic Offline

This is my first post here, I loved reading why you are playing the piano. Here's why I do it!

I started playing piano at eight years old. I was playing at a friend's place and they had a piano.
I sat down there and pressed some keys. Now it just so happened that the father of the friend I was with, was a piano teacher. So he gave me an easy piece to play. Sadly, I can't remember what it was.
However, I can remember that I absolutely loved that experience. So I ran home afterwards and asked my parents if I could get piano lessons from my friend's father.
Luckily they thought it was a good idea. And here I am, ten years later. I am still in love with the piano, I play at party's, I write my own music, I put music videos out on Youtube and now I'm even on a piano forum! wink

It's great to see so many enthusiasts and I really look forward to learning from and contributing to this forum!
HJKMusic on Youtube

#2622180 - 03/10/17 07:59 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
sharkeyboard Online   content

Loc: London
I play the piano because loads of my favourite songs to listen to have a decent piano component to them and I like the fact that I can play more complete songs (melody, base, harmony, etc) whereas many other instruments are more limited in their range.

#2627321 - 03/27/17 05:11 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Bachus Offline

I used to play music because its fun and creative..

But these days under heavy stress at work, i really need to play the piano, because its a stress relieve valve, its better then any other therapy against the stress of the daily life.. put your headset on enter the lovely world of music and forget..

After an hour or sometimes 2, i feel reborn.

Edited by Bachus (03/27/17 05:11 AM)

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2627737 - 03/28/17 12:42 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
JayWalkingBlues Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
I play for so many reasons.....I play for therapy, i play to keep my mind engaged, I play for the love of the music, I play to improve myself, and I play to share music with anyone that wants it.

#2628671 - 03/31/17 11:51 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Herr Rentz Offline

Loc: Southern Illinois
My mother and my great uncle both played. My great uncle was very good at ragtime and old standards from the 30's and 40's which to me was very intricate and melodic to listen to.

I first remember climbing up on a piano bench with my mom at around the age of four, but I don't really remember attempting to play until around the age of six.

I started off playing by ear the songs that we learned in grade school because I had no music for it and did not know how to read music at that age.

In fourth grade we were allowed to sign up to learn an instrument having first learned how to play a flute-o-phone in third grade. This taught me to read music and I selected the trumpet to learn to play and used what I knew about learning to read music for the piano.

Years later I took formal private lessons and then again for two years in college.

Edited by Herr Rentz (03/31/17 11:56 AM)

#2629350 - 04/02/17 11:39 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Lisa23 Offline

Hi there! I'm new here... I'd like to share with you the reason why I play the piano. When I was a child, I could listen from my home a neighbour (a woman), playing the piano. I was obsessed with that wonderful sound. It wasn't often, only sometimes. I began asking my mum a piano, but I never had it. Not possible, many other things were necessary. I did completely different things in my life, and I totally forgot the piano. Until 3 years ago a colleague accidentally remembered something about my old passion (I once had talked to her about it), and told me about the opportunity to make a selection to enter a local music school. I decided to have a try, not believing much in it, actually. On that day, I found out that I was one of two or three adults, the other being very young people, and I was thinking all the time "I don't know anything, what am I doing here?". I had luck, anyway. It was the start of a wonderful adventure. I cannot imagine my life without playing the piano. Sorry for my bad English.

#2631437 - 04/08/17 11:05 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
ukkelo Offline

My answer to why I play piano is to get rid of my aggressions. I need a loud playing instrument like the Yamaha SU-118 to get rid of my neighbors. A supreme instrument, putting most grand pianos in shame, moved countless times like its player and still in tune. Not on sale at any price!

My parents were elementary school teachers with high hopes of the musical talent of their only son. I had a loud, but a hard to control voice with no talent with instruments like strings or horns. Instead, I liked the Galicia piano with decisive keys to strike to get a certain sound.

Anyway, at soon 67, I've still more to learn than teach!

#2631828 - 04/10/17 10:26 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
chissho Offline

Why do I play the piano-good question. One is because I can (sort of). Started ff as child about 10/11 years old. did it for a few years then packed in for errmm about 45 years.
Anyway-decided a few years ago to get a keyboard. A Yamaha DGX 340-it wasn't good. Played from music books what I could remember to sight read and after a few years decided to have lessons.Took ABRSM grade 2 in 2012 vowed never again.Last week took Grade 3 but have failed due to extreme nervousness. Might try again after a hypnosis course or something.

I enjoy it as a hobbyist-wishing I was better but think it will take years. I also enjoy the Tyros 5 keyboard my piano is a CVP 605 both Yamaha products.

Its a good release when I get cross to play Bach Toccata from Alfreds piano book-somehow it keeps me sane.

#2633531 - 04/16/17 07:06 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
Aloyah Offline

Loc: UK
I had lessons because my mum always wanted her children to play a musical instrument as she never had the opportunity. My brother had organ lessons at a Yamaha centre. I had piano lessons because my paternal grandparents gave my aunt's old Bechstein to our family. My aunt was a piano teacher herself but left the country and passed on all her students to her friend. Her friend was my piano teacher and we must have got mates rates as my dad would leave me there for hours. Other people would come and go and I would just wait it out doing past theory exam papers. Her collection was extensive as she had papers from the 1950s and I had lessons in the 80s. Many, many years of past papers for me to work on. She got me all the way through to ABRSM grade 5 piano and grade 6 theory. We moved countries soon after my grade 6 theory exam and I never really gelled with my new teacher.

I gave up having lessons at 16 after my grade 6 piano exam as I knew grade 7 would be much harder and I just didn't feel it with my new teacher. Never did find another teacher as school and university kept me occupied. It's now 27 years later and I suddenly have this very strong urge to maybe finish off my exams. My scales are wonky, my fingers are weak and my ability to read music is also a bit questionable now. And when I look at what's on the current ABRSM syllabus, it all looks quite strange like a foreign language but I clearly must have understood it a long time ago as I did the exams and passed. We have a Clavinova CLP430 at home that my mum gifted my children a few years ago so that's what I play. Maybe when I get better I can look into getting an acoustic. So here I am at nearly 43, practising my scales and looking back at my old collection of music books to see what I can still play.

#2634697 - 04/20/17 10:45 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
my58vw Offline

Most of the traditional instruments are best played in a group, and require you to go to group practices and then perform in groups. I wanted an instrument that I could enjoy myself without the pressure of performing all the time, and challenge myself. Music has always been a big part of my life, and I love the classical choices that piano brings...

Plus it releases stress!

#2634827 - 04/20/17 05:05 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
CenterMast Offline

Loc: Willamette Valley
I love the emotions I get listening to and playing music. It's a big ol chemical release in my brain.
I am a late bloomer, should've started sooner, could've been somebody, so glad I'm me.

#2635339 - 04/22/17 11:38 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]
genghis khan Offline

Loc: Far East
This is my first post and the reason I registered in this forum is to read reviews of digital pianos. I am definitely looking for a good sounding 88-key digital piano under a $1,000 that I can practice. I have been to music stores and by leaps and bounds portable digital pianos have greatly improved and nearing the actual acoustic level of feel and tone.

I can no longer remember if wanting to play the piano was my own choice or was it my parents’ as part of my upbringing and education. Anyway, I was enrolled in a piano class to go along with my education. I learned to read notes (solfege) and play the piano based on notes. It was what you call a forced learning similar to learning and recognizing letters in the alphabet in order to read and write. Although I like to hear songs and music, I do not consider myself musical. Then, I played Chopin, Mozart, etc. classical piano pieces as part of my piano lessons. However, I cannot play piano by ear nor can I accompany a singer with it.

Actually, I belong to the audience category in music who simply likes to hear and see performers do their thing like I enjoy seeing and listening to Sarah Brightman and Sierra Boggess in Phantom at the Opera stage presentations and other gigs. I have, however, a collection of songs and music I want to play in the piano for my wife and hopefully rekindle romance for the once hopelessly romantic via piano key strains.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
What's Hot!!
New Forums Location & New Piano World Site
---------------------
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
Sweetwater Hiring Keyboard Player!
Sweetwater Hiring Keyboard Player
(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
(ad)
A. Geyer Pianos
A. Geyer Pianos
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Music Theme Scarves

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sampletekk Black 70% off
by TheodorN
04/28/17 06:03 PM
MIT Piano Drop
by WhoDwaldi
04/28/17 05:35 PM
Possible to disable internal sounds on Yamaha P60 keyboard?
by Fscotte
04/28/17 03:58 PM
In the middle of choosing a piano concerto
by chrisyip789
04/28/17 02:57 PM
In Search Of The World's Greatest Pianos!
by Rich D.
04/28/17 02:54 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Forum Stats
87,549 Registered Members
44 Forums
179,270 Topics
2,620,245 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission