Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Virtual Sheet Music
Download Sheet Music Instantly
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Sheet Music...
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Who's Online Now
121 registered members (ajames, Adypiano, accordeur, Almaviva, agraffe, aleksivu, 29 invisible), 1,993 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#2558767 - 07/26/16 04:46 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: AstroEd]  
SwissMS Online content
1000 Post Club Member
SwissMS  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Costa del Sol
Music has always been in my life, albeit in different forms. My mother told me that when she was pregnant with me, she would lie on the bed and play classical music, so that I would be able to listen to beautiful music. I have loved music my whole life.

As a small child, I thought all adults knew how to play piano, My uncles played, my Mom played a little, and my grandparents played. They mostly played by ear, so I assumed it was a natural skill.

I took ballet lessons as a child, and enjoyed dance as well. Then something special happened. We bought a piano. I still remember when my Mom had an old "upright grand" delivered when I was eight years old. I loved that piano and spent hours at it. I had a teacher that gave me a good start on piano, though she was a very scary, authoritarian with a ruler! Still, I loved piano and tried to do my best. Then, my family moved to a small town without a piano teacher. I continued to play everyday until I went to college, but I no longer had any guidance. When I was in college, I remember standing outside the practice rooms at UMC, wishing I could go in and play!

Life intervened for 30 years. I got married, had a career, but I never forgot my love of piano. Another passion in my life led me back to it. I owned horses growing up, and as an adult I rode and showed dressage horses. I began doing my own choreography for freestyle, which is dressage routines set to music. It was a perfect melding of my love of dance, music, and horses. My husband suggested I relearn piano, and do my own music for the dance. So we purchased a keyboard and I rediscovered piano. Six months later I purchased a M&H BB, and started lessons. I practiced every available minute.

In 2005 I developed MS, and could no longer ride horses. The piano became therapy for me. I had severe tremors and in my legs and hands, and playing piano retrained my neural pathways, eliminating the tremors in my hands. Piano has become my sanctuary and my therapist. I no longer believe that I have any limitations that I cannot overcome. It soothes the body and soul, and brightens my spirits everyday. It gives me continuous goals to work toward, and self assurance. It has brought me friends who share my passion for piano, both live and virtual (PianoWorld). At this point in my life, I cannot imagine not playing piano!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2558784 - 07/26/16 06:12 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]  
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Australia
A couple of things always intrigued me about pianists, first how they could play with two hands each doing something different and not even watching what they were doing, were they wired differently to me? The second was most of them seemed to sight read which seemed like some sort of dark art passed down from master to student.

I decided nearly four years ago to buy a digital piano to find out what it was all about. It made perfect sense as I was nearing retirement and knew I would have to substitute a work addiction for something different. I had pottered about with acoustic guitars since my youth, just as a relaxation, but I decided a complete restart of my musical education following a traditional method was how I should proceed. Incidentally when I first started I could not bear to listen to classical solo pianists and I thought Chopin was overrated. Last year while in Paris for a couple of days the only thing I wanted to do was visit his grave and museum, how things have changed. In the few years since starting I have found out the hardship of trying to learn an instrument to a high degree can be, but every day is a joy in exploration that is most fulfilling.

Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#2558828 - 07/26/16 10:11 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: earlofmar]  
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Sand Tiger  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Southern California
I play because it brings me joy. Some on the forum have cats. Many cats like to be scratched on the head, or under the chin. The cat will often close its eyes and purr in contentment. Its like that with piano, when I get it just so, even at my still beginner level.

I got started by tinkering with a tablet app, where a person presses the screen to sound notes. I enjoyed that so much, I decided to upgrade to a 61-key Yamaha NP11. Another year or so, and I got a Casio PX150.

I thought I would be terrible at piano. I have tinnitus, chronic hand problems, difficulty with rhythm and harmony. Unlike most reporting on this thread, I grew up in a home with minimal exposure to music, and it shows.

I haven't traveled very far in my four year piano journey. I tell people that I poke away at it. There are limits as to what I can do, or even attempt. Still, I have my moments, whether it be finding a good phrase while composing or performing on stage on a grand piano, there are moments that approach magic.

I find that piano tends to be a less soulful, less expressive instrument than wind instruments. Or perhaps a person needs ten or more years and/or a degree level of mastery to get to the expressive level. The trade off is complexity. A good pianist can add layers and layers that melody only instruments can only attempt with an ensemble.

#2558850 - 07/26/16 11:59 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]  
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Jeff Clef  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

San Jose, CA
Why does the bug bite anyone? The short answer is that I play because I can't help myself. I need it. Go figure. I loved the piano since I first saw one, as a young child... and here we are, a lifetime later.

Clef

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2558853 - 07/26/16 12:05 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Jeff Clef]  
Piano World Offline
Piano World  Offline

Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
Why does the bug bite anyone? The short answer is that I play because I can't help myself. I need it. Go figure. I loved the piano since I first saw one, as a young child... and here we are, a lifetime later.

Well said Jeff, that would pretty much sum my reasons up too.

I'm just one of those people who can use twenty words to say what could have been said in four :-)

- Frank B.
Piano World

#2558859 - 07/26/16 01:01 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]  
Jim DK Offline
Jim DK  Offline

Dallas, Texas area
I began piano lessons at age six and abandoned it at age 13 or 14 having achieved only modest success. I took lessons during one summer school in college at age 30. Now at age 73, I'm in the middle of Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course. There is some serious void time here!

I think of all the wasted years during which I might have developed a decent repertoire for my own pleasure and possibly others. Now I'm sensing a state of urgency to realize my dream of mastering some of Chopin's easier pieces, a couple of Scott Joplin's ragtimes, and some popular stuff as well.

I'm very thankful for my early opportunity to experience the piano. It benefits me to this day. Playing my piano provides a way to keep my mind engaged, to be constructive, and of course I love the sounds that can emanate from a good piano.

#2558862 - 07/26/16 01:15 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]  
Qazsedcft Offline
500 Post Club Member
Qazsedcft  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Toronto, Canada
The better question is why didn't I play the piano for so long before taking it up?

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
#2558877 - 07/26/16 03:17 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]  
Music Me Online content
Music Me  Online Content

PA
Astro Ed-

Go for it! Jump in head first! You are the best person you can play for.

Barbara
...without music, no life...
#2558902 - 07/26/16 05:58 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]  
chamberbell Offline
chamberbell  Offline

Austin, Texas
On a social level, I love when parties gather around a piano, especially around Christmas. Such a pure form of entertainment, but I only know one person who can play and it's a friend of a friend.

On a personal level, I just love music. With the piano, you can create beautiful music will all the intricacies and layers that would normally require several musicians of relatively equal skill. That gets hard to find as you get older for those of outside of music professions. Adding musicians along with a piano? Now that's magic; layers upon layers of cool stuff happening.

But mostly cause I've always wanted to play (but for the above reasons). It just took me a while to get the courage to learn.

-Tracy
Beginner pianist (1st lesson 8/15/15), lifetime music lover, former tuba player
Just upgraded my keyboard to a Samick 6'1" Grand! http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2520414.html#Post2520414
#2558982 - 07/27/16 12:13 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]  
Cassia Offline
Cassia  Offline

Portland, OR
From my earliest memories, I've always wanted to play the piano, but I didn't get the chance until I was 7 and we got our first piano. I immediately asked for lessons, but for reasons they've never explained, my parents said no. But that couldn't stop me - I knew in my heart I was a pianist - and so I pulled out some of my mom's old books, taught myself to read music, and learned the first part of Für Elise. At about that point, my grandmother took pity on me and signed me up for lessons. My parents never really did understand my passion and so were never very supportive. They paid for lessons and drove me to recitals, festivals, and competitions, but they never really encouraged me. There was actually a period when my mom actively discouraged me from playing. But it didn't matter, I never gave it up. I couldn't have. Playing the piano is a very large part of who I am. If I gave it up, I would die a figurative death. I play because I'm a pianist.

Yamaha C2X
#2559028 - 07/27/16 07:56 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]  
Celdor Offline
Celdor  Offline

My story.
I used to attend a public music school in my little town just for 2 years. I learned an instrument which I did not enjoy at all, my dad did. Eventually, I stopped attending the school and though I was supposed to have a piano lesson a week I did not used that opportunity. I must say the piano teacher was great but my main instrument teacher was rather anti-pedagogical. So I eventually gave up and stopped the school for good and had no intention to touch anything related to music.

A couple of years later I tried guitar but also eventually stopped. It wasn't for me I guess.

Three years before in November I begun piano lessons. Before, I lived with this idea, though. I was thinking about piano since I had seen Adrian Brody in Pianists. His performance was definitely the moment when my desire to piano started! It took me a couple of years to make final realisation but The Pianist was the main trigger. I also enjoyed Steve Wonder's music and his dedication to music and piano which is still phenomenal. Then, I came across Arthur Rubinstein, Chopin and that how I was hooked :p

I practice every day almost the same routine but only recently have issues because of my work which becomes quite daunting and it unfortunately affects my determination, discipline and eventually my progress. I still try to maintain the routine for exercises and pieces.

Zbigniew

[Linked Image]
#2559043 - 07/27/16 09:31 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]  
happyhacker Offline
happyhacker  Offline

I am retired. Had lessons when 10yrs but gave up as couldn't afford any more. Regret that. Now I find learning therapeutic. I believe it puts more power to my brain and physical skills offsetting old age creeping up. I think I will be a good player at 120yrs so maybe entertain the youngsters in my care home. Seriously, I like Jazz so am learning via that route. Heavily into theory and practice falling behind a bit. Do about 2 hours a day. Cheers.

#2559120 - 07/27/16 01:58 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: happyhacker]  
blackjack1777 Offline
blackjack1777  Offline

California
Playing the piano feels like a secret garden for me. When I play the piano I enter a world that is unburdened by worry or pressure. My time at the piano seems to exist separately from the world around me. In some ways it is an escape and something only for me.

Half way through Alfred's Adult All in One - Level 2

https://soundcloud.com/blackjack1777/
#2559229 - 07/27/16 10:54 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]  
Lee Ann Offline
Lee Ann  Offline

Central Florida
My mother remarried a man with a daughter my age, and a piano, and I was in love with it at first sight. I was 10. We both had lessons, she hated them, I loved them and played constantly. A year later, my mother was a single mom, again. The piano was not ours. She did not have a lot of money, but she found a way to buy me an old 1940's Gulbransen upright piano, for $500......which I think was a lot for the time in 1981. And she found me a piano teacher. I played so much that I had the piano moved into my bedroom so I could play as much as I wanted, which was all the time.

It helped get me through middle school, which was the worst years of my life. I was a pretty poor kid that went to school with a bunch of rich and really mean kids, and my music helped me get through it. Same through high school, I played from the moment I got home from school until bedtime.

Then I didn't play for more than a decade, until recently I sat down to play again, and seem to have gotten back that feeling that I have to have this in my life. I am just now going through the "empty nest syndrome", having sent my youngest daughter off to college, and once again, this is helping me get through it all.

AND I am a crazy cat lady, whose two greatest things in life (besides my family of course) is cats and music....and the cats love the piano! They all completely mellow out, and I love seeing how it effects them too.

#2559344 - 07/28/16 01:02 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]  
Rich D. Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Rich D.  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Rehoboth Beach De. USA
A piano is good company to have around.

Rich

Last edited by Rich D.; 07/28/16 03:56 PM.

Retired at the beach (well maybe not completely)

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"
#2559428 - 07/28/16 08:20 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]  
Blues beater Offline
Blues beater  Offline

Austin, Texas USA
Because I got classical lessons as a kid I learned fingering and a little bit about chords. But in the late 50s, early 60s, as an adolescent, nighttime in the winter brought in AM radio stations from hundreds of miles away and I immediately bonded with hillbilly music and blues. I knew I had to teach myself to play these. Still learning at age 70.

Don in Austin

Don, playing the blues in Austin, Texas on a 48" family heirloom Steinway upright, 100 year old 54" Weber upright, unknown make turn of the century 54" upright -- says "Whittier NY" on the plate, Starr, ca. 100 years old full size upright.
#2559443 - 07/28/16 10:00 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]  
MossySF Offline
MossySF  Offline

I played the bass in the school orchestra when I was young and I thought I was pretty good. I could sight read like a madman ... even automatically translate my skills to the cello and violin. But a bass is a pretty damn big instrument to be lugging around ... or to own at home and I soon stopped playing. (My sister played violin and had her own starter violin for a hundred bucks.)

Now that my kids are taking piano, I've been learning at the same time. To be honest, I don't feel like being an adult has slowed down my music learning. Even after 3 years, I can pick up all their assigned pieces in half the time it takes them. Maybe the adult learning thing is mostly psychological ... or it's that we don't have parents forcing us to play 1-2 hours a day.

#2559468 - 07/29/16 12:29 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]  
outo Offline
2000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Finland
Why do I play the piano? I started on a whim, then got obsessed on getting better because I am fascinated with piano music and the tone that a piano can produce in capable hands. Now after 5 years of weekly lessons and daily practice I have invested so much into it that it would be silly to quit smile

And I do enjoy working out the challenges and practicing. It is often stressfull to keep up, but I tend to function best when challenged.

#2559551 - 07/29/16 11:41 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]  
Rerun Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Rerun  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Louisiana

Well, one has to do something to have fun when about the only thing you can do with sports at my age is throw footballs with the grand kids.

For me playing piano is not unlike solving puzzles, only instead of a cryptoquote and a pen, it's a tune and the ears and keyboard. Piano playing isn't a sport yet grin, but still fun stuff.

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

#2559631 - 07/29/16 05:47 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]  
iObsessed Online content
iObsessed  Online Content

US
I'm kind of late to this thread (not really lol), but I play because it challenges me. Every time I sit down to play, it is always a quest to find perfection in my pieces. In addition, it is something I can let out my emotions on.

I started piano when I was close to four years old (beginning in 2001, if I even remember that far back and if this is even close to accurate). I have always displayed a penchant for music, as my parents will attest when I was still in my mother's womb. My maternal grandmother had a piano and wanted me to play because of its supposed benefits. At that time (circa 1999-2000), I don't even think the Lang Lang effect was that full-blown, but China was into Western instruments at that time. So, I guess this became natural to me.

#2559683 - 07/29/16 09:06 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]  
gwood Offline
gwood  Offline

plano,tx
i play piano because i love music and i love the sound of piano and the endless variety of music available for piano. plus i also play to keep my mind / brain active ('m getting older) and hand eye coordination.

background: we had a piano when i was growing up. my sister took lessons. i was curious about piano and played around bit and my sister taught me a few simple songs (chopsticks anyone?). i still remember some of her books and even have some of them (john thompson, arron shearer?). however, i could note read music and even at that early age realized the necessity to learn to read.

i also picked up guitar and that was my primary interest; keep in mind this was about at the time the Beatles came out so that diverted my attention from piano.

so, when i reached Jr high school, i joined the band (clarinet, drums, bass guitar in the jazz band). was in the band through jr high, high school and a year of so of college (started as a music major but got my degree i accounting info systems). i did take about 6 - 7 months of piano lessons in high school; it was helpful.

after i dropped the music major, what music did play was with the guitar. i still have several nice guitars and play some but not as much as i did back in the day.

around 1998 - 1999, had some in-laws visiting from Africa and he wanted to visit some music stores here in the U.S. at the time he had a church in Zimbabwe and was looking for the ideas on price of musical instruments. so i took him to guitar center; while there for some unknown reason i decided right then and there i was going to learn to play piano.

i started shopping around for a piano at the various piano stores around town and ended up with a young change upright. it was ok. i took lessons from a (very old) lady at the music store. but only took about 3 - 4 months as the teacher would just assign a piece then smile and give me a gold star the following week. not much feedback or instruction. i then traded the upright in for a Petrof IV grand which was great. took lessons off and on over the next several years with a fairly good teacher as well as self study.

last time i took lessons was about 4 - 5 years ago from a very very strict russion lady. i just couldn't handle the constant corrections with every little thing i did. i think i didn't touch piano for about two years after than. i just have some sort of mental block about taking lessons; it just seems to sap all the fun out of playing. but i am hoping with all the past lessons, i have eliminated the most blatant bad habits and i do try to be conscious of what i am doing.

now i am hot and heavy into playing and play several hours a day and loving it.

gw

#2561345 - 08/05/16 10:51 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]  
cphollis Offline
cphollis  Offline

Massachussets, Florida
OK, deeply personal post smile

When I was 3 years old, I am told I begged my parents for a piano. The bought me a toy piano for Christmas, and I cried because I wanted a real piano.

Fast forward to the college years. I wanted to make a career playing keyboards, but my Dad said "nice hobby, but not a living". He was right.

Fast forward to later in life. I play in two bands, and I'm having a blast. The career thing has worked out well, so music isn't about the money for me.

When I play, it's like an alternate universe. It's like great sex, but it's in a group setting.

I believe that we all owe ourselves the opportunity to express ourselves as creative human beings.

That's why I play.

Life is too short to be playing bad music.

Practice: Bosie 200, Yamaha G3, AG N3
Live: Nord Piano 2, NE5D, Stage 2
Amps: QSC Ks, Fulcrum Acoustics, CPS SSv3
Support: Spider Pro, Yam MG3, QSC TouchMix
#2561397 - 08/06/16 07:47 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]  
f3r Offline
f3r  Offline

Italy
Because I like it! laugh

There's more to it but that would end up with me writing about my whole life...

Mark

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA97 | YouTube
#2561485 - 08/06/16 09:01 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]  
sheffsteel Offline
sheffsteel  Offline

Sheffield, UK
When I was a boy in the late 70's ans early 80's there was a large piano shop in town and I was absolutely fascinated by the organ keyboards with different coloured buttons for trumpet, violin, guitar etc. I was totally gobsmacked that one instrument could create the sounds of so many other instruments.

Then further into the 80's I was fascinated by the weird and interesting sounds that synthesisers could produce. So my first love was keyboards rather than piano as I've always been a technology addict.

However over the past few decades my favourite instruments are piano and strings, hence why I love many Craig Armstrong tracks.

I'm mainly a keyboard player and always thougt piano was too time consuming to learn. However it's always been my lifestime ambition to reach at least intermediate pianist standard before I leave this earth.

I'm now 50, the kids are grown up and have left home. So I have much more available time and more patience as I've become older.

So I've taken on the challenge to enjoy my later years fulfilling a lifetime ambition as I'm always been a massive music lover. Digital pianos are the most versatile instrument on the planet and as technology improves they will also become more fun with the power to run a music studio in your own home.

So my interest is centrered towards digital pianos rather than acoustic pianos.

#2561602 - 08/07/16 11:45 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]  
wimpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member
wimpiano  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The Netherlands
I love music and even more so do I love piano music.. Making music adds to that and, I know that I'm lucky, playing together with my wife (4 hands) is just amazing laugh

Schimmel 116 S
ABF Recitals: XXXIV - XXXVIII & Schumann Recital .....
#2562275 - 08/10/16 07:49 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]  
Latetothepiano Offline
Latetothepiano  Offline

USA
I always loved piano. I loved the sound of it anywhere and in any type of music. I just wanted to play so at 57 I started. At 61, now retired, with 5 years of weekly lessons and daily practice, I am doing okay. I play because I love it and I was ignorant of classical music and now love that too. I am like a kid in a candy shop. Why do those composers endure and provide so much to so many of us hundreds of years later? I hate leaving my piano. I can't wait to get back to it when I leave home for vacation or to visit friends. I finish a lessons and can't wait to get back to my piano and practice. (I started with digitals and now have a Yamaha U1. Bright like a bell and probably not the piano I would choose today but I embrace it and love it for what it is. I am really grooving those hammers though!)
I have a wonderful teacher who is encouraging, talented, performs regularly herself and who I just love for giving me so much. (personally don't know how anyone that is learning can play without a teacher. I would do so many more things wrong without her!)

I do want to learn how to get away from the page though. I like the idea of both reading and improvising. I am not sure if I can do both, but will try.

I play because piano has taught me so much: patience, humility, acceptance, love of classical music, etc. In terms of skill, I am just wherever I am and that if fine with me. I am so grateful. For my piano. I am so grateful. To learn to play piano. I am so grateful. To play piano.

#2562289 - 08/10/16 09:26 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]  
Music Me Online content
Music Me  Online Content

PA
Late to the Piano-

I just love your post. It is what it is all about. I feel the same love and gratitude for my piano and for playing.

It is all that matters.

Barbara
...without music, no life...
#2562339 - 08/11/16 02:32 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]  
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
sinophilia  Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Italy
I didn't grow up in a musical family and I've never been into music much, even at a young age. I was a very cerebral kind of child, always with some book in my hands, and I've always thought of myself as brain only, absolutely inept at anything involving movement and coordination. The thing is, I never liked to do things that I wasn't already good at, so I stuck with the few things that came naturally to me, without too much effort, not because of laziness, but because I simply couldn't stand to show my weaknesses in front of others (as if others would care). The only physical activity I enjoyed was horse riding, but I gave that up soon after a particularly bad fall and a broken arm. Nonetheless, deep down I'd always envied artistic, creative people, and those who could express themselves without fear, through dance, singing, playing an instrument, drawing, anything that involved mind-body connection.

I started dabbling at the piano at 36, when my wife got a keyboard just because she had always wanted one. I happen to be rather stubborn and self-disciplined, so four years later I'm still sitting at a piano (almost) every day. I think it's good for my brain, in spite of the frustration, and good for the body. It's the ultimate coordination, attentiveness, concentration activity. Even better than meditation, I think. When I practice I can't think of anything else, I have to be 100% there, there is no job, no responsibilities, nothing but the music. So I'm sticking with it even if it doesn't come easy to me, and my perfectionist self ends up beaten up and bruised.

I don't think I will ever be a "musician", but I'm pretty happy with where I got, and now I know that what I want to do in the future is play with other people, and accompany singers and soloists, even if only at amateur level, and even if it's scary and challenging to put myself out there. I still approach the piano as study at all times, something requiring hard work and rote learning, so I'm not really "expressing myself" through music yet, even if I have strong opinions on what I like and dislike. But hopefully that will come too, sooner or later.

Diana & Wally - Yamaha W110BW
Martha Argerich... is an incarnation of the artistic metaphor of the "eternal feminine" that draws us upward. (Sergio Sablich)
http://soundcloud.com/sinophilia
[Linked Image]
#2562517 - 08/11/16 07:19 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]  
8 Octaves Offline

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
8 Octaves  Offline

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015

USA
If I knew why I play the piano, I would also know why not; until then I shall keep playing.

#2562609 - 08/12/16 09:28 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World]  
LarryShone Offline
1000 Post Club Member
LarryShone  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

England
Keyboards have always been part of my life as a kid , I had various keyboards through my teenage years but inside I always wanted to play piano. Skip forward to the present and I have a (very good) digital piano. A dream come true. Now I don't play particularly well, being undiscplined and I can't read music, and I don't get a lot of time to practice. But its an instrument I can always come back to. Its unlike any other instrument I've played. If I stop playing guitar or ukulele or recorder for a period of time, then pick it up again I often find I've forgotten the chords or fingerings. But not so with a piano. I can go 6 months of not playing, open the lid and out comes a tune. I guess its the instrument for me, the one I'm most comfortable with. And it never fails to make me smile

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
[Linked Image]

My Piano Group
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
What's Hot!!
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Searching for my perfect piano
by vais4pianists. 06/22/17 10:47 AM
Used QRS midi strip /Pianodisk midi strip
by Marc NY. 06/22/17 09:42 AM
1899 Knabe Concert Grand
by Keith D Kerman. 06/22/17 09:29 AM
Returning to Piano after awhile
by acdyer23. 06/22/17 06:38 AM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics180,389
Posts2,638,175
Members88,153
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Check It Out!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission