Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
144 registered members (agraffe, 36251, akc42, accordeur, AnthonyPaulO, Audetto, anamnesis, AssociateX, AZNpiano, Akaitsuki, 33 invisible), 1,099 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: 2BJoyful] #2764050
09/07/18 07:47 PM
09/07/18 07:47 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
1000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by 2BJoyful
I learned how to play the piano because my mother made me start taking lessons when I was seven-years-old. I had to practice when I got home from school every day for thirty minutes. I didn't want to practice, but I didn't have a choice. I wanted to watch "Gilligan's Island" instead. When I was about 12 years old I caught the vision of why it was so important to learn to play the piano. I started playing in competitions and in Church and realized what a useful talent and skill it was in my life. When my children were seven-years-old, guess what? I did exactly the same thing my mother did to me. I made them take lessons so they could learn how to play the piano. My son is now a piano performance major in his senior year at BYU. All of my children have been church pianists at one time or another. I am now almost 62 years old and I have shared this wonderful talent most of my life through church service and vocal performances as a professional accompanist. I thanked my mother when I was in my twenties for her diligence in making me learn to play the piano. I hope my children will carry on this tradition of providing music lessons for their children. It's a financial investment that pays off BIG TIME.

Great story and welcome to the forum. Hope to see you post more stories.

[Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: 2BJoyful] #2764053
09/07/18 08:11 PM
09/07/18 08:11 PM
NobleHouse Offline
1000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by 2BJoyful
I learned how to play the piano because my mother made me start taking lessons when I was seven-years-old. I had to practice when I got home from school every day for thirty minutes. I didn't want to practice, but I didn't have a choice. I wanted to watch "Gilligan's Island" instead. When I was about 12 years old I caught the vision of why it was so important to learn to play the piano. I started playing in competitions and in Church and realized what a useful talent and skill it was in my life. When my children were seven-years-old, guess what? I did exactly the same thing my mother did to me. I made them take lessons so they could learn how to play the piano. My son is now a piano performance major in his senior year at BYU. All of my children have been church pianists at one time or another. I am now almost 62 years old and I have shared this wonderful talent most of my life through church service and vocal performances as a professional accompanist. I thanked my mother when I was in my twenties for her diligence in making me learn to play the piano. I hope my children will carry on this tradition of providing music lessons for their children. It's a financial investment that pays off BIG TIME.

What High School did you attend? Just curious since we are the same age, and I grew up there.

[Linked Image]
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2765588
09/14/18 10:36 PM
09/14/18 10:36 PM
B
Beowulf Offline
Beowulf  Offline
B

My free time during my teenage years to my early 20s were mostly spent on video and online games and those games (such as Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy) had some truly fantastic music. I quitted gaming to focus on my university studies and from there on my love for gaming died and nowadays I rarely ever touch video games anymore. In recent years, I spent a great amount of time watching people on YouTube play pieces on the piano from the video games I had played and from those videos, I somehow got inspired to start playing the piano myself.

It's been over a year and a half since I started playing the piano and every day I get more motivated to keep learning.

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2765652
09/15/18 11:31 AM
09/15/18 11:31 AM
Florida
cmb13 Online sleepy
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Sleepy
Silver Level

Florida
Beowulf, as a gamer, you'll love this channel!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Chopin 28:15
Tchaikovsky Seasons: October

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: cmb13] #2765757
09/15/18 08:29 PM
09/15/18 08:29 PM
B
Beowulf Offline
Beowulf  Offline
B

Originally Posted by cmb13
Beowulf, as a gamer, you'll love this channel!

I have been follow Kara Comparetto for more than a year now! She is such a wonderful pianist and serves as a great inspiration to me!

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2766673
09/20/18 01:24 PM
09/20/18 01:24 PM
E
EMusic Offline
EMusic  Offline
E

I quite often play the piano to relax. I think I started lessons because some of my friends were learning in school and thought it would be fun to give it a go. That was when I was about 7 or 8 years old and I've played piano on and off ever since.

During high school and university, it was a useful way to procrastinate! I felt less guilty playing the piano instead of studying than watching TV and not doing my work!

Having left university now, it gives me an outlet to be creative, when I have less opportunities in other areas of life.

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2777652
11/03/18 12:02 AM
11/03/18 12:02 AM
48-49 High Street (WI, USA)
T
TheophilusCarter Online content
TheophilusCarter  Online Content
T

48-49 High Street (WI, USA)
Well, let's see ...
I play / have played other instruments over the years. Saxophone (first alto, then tenor) was my school instrument, from the 4th grade to the end of high school. I took up bass (first electric, then upright) mid-way through high school, and went on to major in music on bass in college, but I had a lot of RSI issues, and ended up changing majors. I was eventually able to heal up and to get back into bass, and I still play now, even gigging here and there (my jazz quartet is playing a wedding reception tomorrow, as a matter of fact). I've also noodled on other instruments, mainly guitar, but nothing to write home about.
I tried piano a few times over the years, but it didn't really stick. For some reason, I got the bug to give it another shot about six and a half years ago, and it seems to be sticking. My practice was irregular for most of that, so my progress was very slow, but about five months ago, something happened, and I really got the bug. I'm now practicing two hours a day, five or six days a week (as my work schedule permits), and actually making decent progress now (imagine that!). I'm not following a formal syllabus, but I have some tunes down that would definitely fall at least at RCM grade 4 and one that might be as high as grade 5. I'm working on filling in some gaps in my studies, and hoping to be able to start some grade 6 pieces in the next year or so.
I'm not sure what my ultimate goals are. I certainly have no plans at this (middle) age to become a professional musician (other than the rare paying gig that I already get on bass). Mostly, I think I'm looking for a greater degree of musical self-sufficiency. It's just great to be able to sit down and play a complete-sounding piece of music all by myself, without needing to be part of a band or ensemble of some kind. I'm also learning some blues piano, and I sing a bit, so I have half an idea to work up a bit of a blues act that I might be able to gig all by myself, or with just me and the missuz (I forgot to mention: she plays drums, and is currently part of the jazz quartet).
Mostly, though, it's just the usual, boring reason: I like it. smile It's really scratching my musical itch these days, and I'm feeling very motivated to practice. As slow as my progress can be sometimes (I don't consider myself naturally "talented," whatever that is ... ), I love that I do see progress, as long as I keep working hard enough. Everything in life should be so straightforward and fair! It's also just a really good respite from work, life, and other inconveniences ... No matter how lousy a day I'm having, I know I get to go home and spend a couple of hours on the keys, and that always gets me through the day.

Decent upright bassist, aspiring decent pianist
Casio PX-160, Casio CDP-130
Roland KC-80
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2778607
11/06/18 01:50 AM
11/06/18 01:50 AM
J
John Stockton Offline
John Stockton  Offline
J

I felt in love with piano many, many years after I began playing. In high school, taking music classes gave me a better understanding of clasical music. And somehow, I started enjoying playing the piano a lot more. Back then it was just good music that made me find it enjoyable.

Best Digital Pianos

** Maple Leaf Rag **
** Debussy - Clair de Lune **
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: John Stockton] #2788973
12/08/18 08:25 AM
12/08/18 08:25 AM
Romania
O
Ovidiu M Offline
Ovidiu M  Offline
O

Romania
I have always loved piano. In childhood i didnt really had a chance to study it. Now in adulthood i can buit trying hard to fit it in amongst ther others obligations of life.

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2792105
12/16/18 06:40 PM
12/16/18 06:40 PM
Black Diamond ,Alberta Canada
A
anncarley Offline
anncarley  Offline
A

Black Diamond ,Alberta Canada
I had a disastrous experience taking piano lessons when I was 5 years old. I stopped after 6 months but always had the desire to play.Over the years I was busy with school, university,children , and then career. When I retired I decided I would begin lessons. I began with the Royal Conservatory of Music in level one ( with all the other 6 year olds), at the age of 74, I’m now in level 5. Yesterday I wrote level 5 theory exam, and today I have post exam regret, ie. what I should have answered. But that will pass. And now to the question why do I want to play the piano. I love music and I love piano, and I also like the challenge. I’m sure that if I just took lessons and didn’t do the exams it would be much less stressful, and on days like today I’m tempted ,but tomorrow I’d be regretful that I didn’t continue to level six.

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2792593
12/18/18 04:23 AM
12/18/18 04:23 AM
Ireland
Sibylle Offline
Sibylle  Offline

Ireland
1. I just always wanted to play. I was too young to remember now exactly why that was.

2. I love the feeling of the cool keys under my hands and the full-body experience of playing.

3. When I listen to classical music, it's 95% either piano or orchestral. Since I can't play an entire orchestra, I settled on piano!

4. I think it's the most beautiful-sounding instrument.

Obviously, all of this is highly subjective... but those are the reasons I started playing, kept playing, and keep coming back to it.

Last edited by Sibylle; 12/18/18 04:25 AM.

Sibylle

My piano background

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Sibylle] #2792618
12/18/18 08:32 AM
12/18/18 08:32 AM
NobleHouse Offline
1000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Sibylle
1. I just always wanted to play. I was too young to remember now exactly why that was.

2. I love the feeling of the cool keys under my hands and the full-body experience of playing.

3. When I listen to classical music, it's 95% either piano or orchestral. Since I can't play an entire orchestra, I settled on piano!

4. I think it's the most beautiful-sounding instrument.

Obviously, all of this is highly subjective... but those are the reasons I started playing, kept playing, and keep coming back to it.

Great reasons!

[Linked Image]
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2794013
12/22/18 12:03 AM
12/22/18 12:03 AM
British Columbia
W
Warren P Offline
Warren P  Offline
W

British Columbia
A few of my "reasons":

1. D flat major.

2. E major.

3. A minor.

4. Good ole C Major.

The sound of a piano. The resonance, the strings and wood singing the sounds of the universe.

W

Warren P.
British Columbia Canada
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2795413
12/26/18 12:15 PM
12/26/18 12:15 PM
Florida
Agfinguy Offline
Agfinguy  Offline

Florida
Let's see...

Love the romance of playing the Piano

Always wanted to..

I'm 56 and need something to really get into when I retire

makes me feel vibrant

love the sounds

Did I say I always wanted to Play the piano...

thumb

[Linked Image]
Adventures in Piano
Started 1 Jan 2015 Quit - 2016. Fresh start Jan 2019
Kimball Upright Piano
Yamaha YPT-240
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2795662
12/27/18 06:57 AM
12/27/18 06:57 AM
Norfolk UK
O
Ojustaboo Offline
Ojustaboo  Offline
O

Norfolk UK
Hmm,

I started being forced to go to piano lessons as a kid, and to be totally honest, I hated them.

While this might sound like I have a chip on my shoulder, I haven't, I got over this years ago, just explaining what put me off my lessons.

Sister was a few years older than me, she passed her 11+ exam and got into Grammar school (UK). She would play the piano for hours every day from as early as I could remember.

My mum was really really proud of her, she could show her off, whereas I and my other sister both failed our 11+ and ended up at the local comprehensive school etc.

My sister would play classical music for hours, I would get on the piano, play for a few minutes and in that time I would have been told to "play properly" or to "stop banging so loudly" about 10 times by my mum (who couldn't play a note) .

We both had the same piano teacher, but as with most things in life, what works for one person, doesn't necessarily work for another.

I didn't mind the scales, but I hated the music.

I passed my grade 1 exam, but I was totally bored with what I was expected to play.

I had a passion for listening music from a very very early age, but not classical. I would listen to the radio for hours.

I must have been around 10 years old at the time when I got hold of the sheet music for Scott Joplin's The Entertainer, and asked my music teacher if I could also learn that. She wasn't interested, said it was far too advanced for me etc and on I plodded with my grade 2 music.

So I tried to learn it myself, I couldn't do it while my mum was home, because it wasn't "playing properly", but I taught myself the first part in just a few hours as it was something I really enjoyed doing etc. And I can still play it from memory 45 years later (although a bit rusty) .

It wasn't long after this that I gave up the piano, hated the lessons, hated that even if I did try and practice the lessons, I would get told to stop banging or play properly etc.

In the end I simply stopped practising and the teacher convinced my mum that she was throwing her money away as I wasn't interested.

And I became interested in other things but still loved listening to the radio and soon got a record player. My life almost circled around listening to music, when punk hit the scene in the late 70s, that was it, I had found my passion. Bands like The Clash, The Stranglers, Magazine etc I would listen to hours on end non stop. I remember turning on Top of the Pops one night and seeing this band called Tubeway Army with this weird guy Gary Numan singing, had never heard anything like it, that was it, I wanted a synth.

But was only 15 at the time and had no means of buying one.

Over the course of the next 3 years I first got a 2 octave monophonic synth and joined a band, and I loved it. Then as I started earning, I got better synths, and again loved playing them.

If my family was in the living room and Top of the Pops was on, band after band my dad or sister would comment on the keyboard playing saying things like "how can they call that playing" etc.

But, roll on to today, I can get just as much pleasure playing one note on one of my many virtual synthesizers and playing around with the sound, as I do learning on my digital piano.

I don't regret in the slightest giving up the piano as a child. I was getting zero enjoyment, and I love how my life turned out after that, and had I been like my sister, chances are my life would never have been anything like as colourful as it has been, plus I would probably have never met my lovely wife (been together for 37 years).

I recently bought myself a cheapish digital piano (Casio PX870) that I have away from my PC, so that I can try to improve my playing. While I am happy to practise any music that will do this, I still am not really into classical (although there's a few bits and pieces I like), and I loath this notion that in order to play the piano properly , classical is the way to go.

Mention the word punk to some people and they think of zero talent noise. Dave Greenfield (Stranglers Keyboardist) is in my opinion one of the greatest keyboardists of all time, likewise the keyboard playing of Magazines Dave Formula is equally superb.

Compared to how both my dad and my sister play the piano, I am in a different league (with many other leagues in between). However it's not as straight forward as that.

Put any sheet of classical music in front of my sister at a piano, and the chances are she can sight read it almost perfectly (if not perfectly) . But she openly admits she could never come up with the sort of things I came up with when I used to play in bands, likewise she would really struggle to do what the likes of Dave Greenfield or Dave Formula can do.

At the moment I am trying to share my piano playing time between learning on my PX870 and playing around with synths on my PC. I am really having fun, but piano isn't my only passion, I also have other hobbies like electronics and am rebuilding a metal work lathe.

Last edited by Ojustaboo; 12/27/18 07:01 AM.
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2796501
12/29/18 02:06 PM
12/29/18 02:06 PM
Southwest
j&j Offline
500 Post Club Member
j&j  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Southwest
1) My mother played piano and got a new upright when I was 7 years old. Shortly after, I was enrolled in piano lessons. I learned to read music and play intermediate pieces in 5 years. Unfortunately I didn’t have the gift of perfect pitch and could never play by ear. I really enjoyed lessons and put up with my Mom’s practice rules.
2) I enjoy listening to piano music and love watching a piano being played well, whether it’s me or someone else.
3) I love playing piano and enjoy the feel of a beautifully responsive instrument.
4) I can’t sing too well
5) Guitar’s too challenging at this point
6) I took 5 years of piano lessons as a kid and finished 5 years of classes and lessons as an adult in 2015. If I don’t play, I wasted a whole bunch of money.
7) it’s now cool to be a piano nerd.

J & J
Yahama C3 PE
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2796798
12/30/18 03:11 PM
12/30/18 03:11 PM
R
Rtje Offline
Rtje  Offline
R

I play the piano because i feel heavenly doing it!

For me its such an emotional experience, i just feel like the happiest person in the world when im playing something i know well so i can put all my feeling in it. In the moment there are no thoughts, problems, or anything else, not a care in the world, just pure bliss. Piano is actually kind of a lifesaver for me, a fantastic way to escape into a world of positivity. I feel blessed that i discovered this, i just wish i did earlier!

U3 1985
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Rtje] #2796840
12/30/18 05:32 PM
12/30/18 05:32 PM
UK
G
Goof Offline
Goof  Offline
G

UK
I had lessons from age 12 to 16 and I'm sure it was my mother's idea as she played when young but did not take it up again when we got a pianonin 1946 !
I think I try on and off still at 82 because I like both the sound and the challenge !

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2797481
01/01/19 02:23 PM
01/01/19 02:23 PM
Saratoga, N Y
J
JoelM Offline
JoelM  Offline
J

Saratoga, N Y
Third time's the charm. This is my third attempt at trying to learn the piano. Recently, I was given a used baby grand digital piano. Now 58, after being away for eight years, I am still determined to succeed. Why? Like many others, I like the challenge. It is a relaxing way to unwind after work. Also, I want to have something I can do, that is enjoyable and can be enjoyed for a lifetime, the older I get.

Re: Why Do You Play The Piano? [Re: Piano World] #2814071
02/12/19 01:41 PM
02/12/19 01:41 PM
Florida
Agfinguy Offline
Agfinguy  Offline

Florida
I play because I feel it keeps me sharp, I retire in 6 years and want that as one of my many hobbies - there is a sense of accomplishment and romance to playing.. I like the feeling.

[Linked Image]
Adventures in Piano
Started 1 Jan 2015 Quit - 2016. Fresh start Jan 2019
Kimball Upright Piano
Yamaha YPT-240
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
garritan steinway problem
by realovc22. 03/22/19 04:28 PM
QuietTime® GT-2 mini 2 Silent system.
by PianoStartsAt33. 03/22/19 03:41 PM
QuietTime® GT-2 mini 2 Silent system.
by PianoStartsAt33. 03/22/19 03:35 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,059
Posts2,809,575
Members92,847
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission