2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (clothearednincompo, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,109 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2556799 07/15/16 03:43 PM
G
gwood Offline OP
OP Offline
G
hi. Have not posted here in several years although i do frequently read the boards.

So after several years of on again / off again piano shopping, I traded my Petrof IV in for a new Mason Hamlin AA. delivery will be this coming tuesday. The Petrof served me well and i am sure i will miss it for sentimental reasons. Spent a lot of time together and never had any problems. I bought the Petrof in early January 2000 and had one of the earlier piano parties at my house shortly there after.

Very excited to have the new piano and will post pics when i get it. I did take a few pics in the store but prefer home pics. Played my first M&H about 5 years ago from the same shop i bought from today; although it was a different model i could never forget the sound and feel of that piano (BB). i did get to play a lot of nice pianos over the years and found the one that i want to spend the rest of my life with smile kinda wish i could be like Jay Leno and his car collection - except collect pianos instead. there are so many great pianos out there (and junk ones as well). Anyway, wanted to share the excitement with other piano people (since non piano people find it very difficult to understand spending a large sum of money on a musical instrument - not that there's anything wrong with that.

gw

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Congratulations on your new M&H, gwood! What finish did you get?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your new piano!
Where did you end up buying it?

Funny how a singular experience can get stuck in your mind and influence your shopping at a later date. Certainly has happened to me before...

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Congratulations. Looking forward to pics of your new piano. Best feeling in the world to take delivery of a new piano.

GW - Congratulations on your new purchase! My wife and I visited the Mason & Hamlin factory last year... and I ended up buying a new Model BB... and am still in love with it! I have had many great experiences with the tone and power of Golden Age and Burgett-era Mason & Hamlin's over the years, but always had some reservations regarding the responsiveness of their action... until I had the chance to play a number of the latest models fitted with the new high performance carbon-fiber / composite WNG actions. Truly world-class instruments. Hold their own against any make; either made here in North America or Europe!

To further wet your appetite, had a fantastic time attending PianoWorld's Mason & Hamlin Factory Tour held just yesterday on July 14, 2016 in Haverhill, MA. Event was attended by nearly 30 PianoWorld.com Forum members and graciously hosted by Kirk Burgett, President/Owner of Mason & Hamlin and Frank Baxter, Founder/Owner PianoWorld. Our tour guide was the incomparable Bruce Clark - Chief Design Engineer of Mason & Hamlin and lasted nearly four hours, after which all were invited to play freshly minted Mason & Hamlin models of all types, including two CC-94 9'4" Concert Grands, two BB 7' Semi-Concert Grands and at least one of each of the following: 6'4" Model AA, 5'8" Model A, 5'4" Model B and Studio Upright Model 50 - for another three hours! Give credit where credit is due - every one of the instruments I played was well-prepped, tuned, and voicing hit the mark... (thank you Boaz Kirschenbaum and Bob Purcell!). Biggest surprise to me was the sonority and range of the little Model B (bigger than my Yamaha C3) and the power and lyricism of the CC-94's. Thought you might enjoy seeing where your Model AA was made (BTW - the one I played yesterday was quite lovely)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1IaNo0qrgA

Jason Solomonides
Mason & Hamlin 7' BB 93623
Yamaha 6'1" C3 (w/WNG) D3010008
My Piano Recordings:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkP65I5BsNipAaT6BbTL-A7ibPdOv0DEZ
Mason & Hamlin Artist
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Jason,

Unfortunate that those of us who, for reason of well documented security, do not use flash cannot view your video.

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
B
BDB Offline
B
It appears as HTML5 in my browser. You need to adjust your YouTube preferences.

Semipro Tech
R
R
great video and congrats on your new M and H. Mine is vintage but I still enjoy playing it and love the sound and power.

Mason-Hamlin "A" and Schlicker 2 manual and pedal pipe organ
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Congrats gwood! Enjoy!

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
G
gwood Offline OP
OP Offline
G
starting to feel a lot like christmas - delivery tomorrow.

Twas the night before christmas and all through the house, not a creature
was stirring - not even a mouse...

how will i sleep tonight?

camera is loaded and freshly charged ready for pics. took a bunch of going away pics of
the petrol. (sniff sniff).

gw

Congrats, great piano!!

Norbert

G
gwood Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Here is my soon to be ex Petrof IV. playing it tonight (and tomorrow morning) for the last time. now i wish i could keep both pianos.

[Linked Image]

N
N
Very much appreciate the video you posted. I wish the pianist knew a couple of jazz standards.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission