Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
52 registered members (David Boyce, CyberGene, bounced, cliowa, barbaram, Angelos58, Agent88, Beemer, CharlesXX, 13 invisible), 1,344 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Problems with forScore for iPad? #2556046
07/11/16 09:11 PM
07/11/16 09:11 PM
not in Japan anymore
ShiroKuro Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member

not in Japan anymore
Is anyone having problems with forScore? Yesterday, I upgraded to the most recent version (which was released on June 30th) and now it crashes and won't stay open. (I'm using a new iPad with the latest iOS)

This is really ironic because I've had forScore for a long time, but this summer I decided to switch all my repertoire pieces, scales and sightreading to the iPad, so I've been playing from my iPad more than ever and now that I'm practically dependent on it for everything but brand new pieces, I can't use it! frown Also, I was thinking that if I decide to stay with reading from the iPad rather than paper scores, I would splurge and buy an air-turn, but not if I can't reliably use forScore!

(I won't lose any scores btw, I have backups of everything and most things I own both a paper and digital version of things, so that's not what I'm worried about)

Started piano June 1999. My recordings at Box.Net:
https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556049
07/11/16 09:17 PM
07/11/16 09:17 PM
W
Whizbang Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Whizbang  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W

Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Is anyone having problems with forScore? Yesterday, I upgraded to the most recent version (which was released on June 30th) and now it crashes and won't stay open. (I'm using a new iPad with the latest iOS)

Yikes. Make sure you check their site... they may have a customer service number or way to submit a trouble ticket online.

I rely on ForScore, on an older iPad and I haven't updated it in forever. I'd love to move to the new larger iPad at some point, but... not if it's not stable.

Whizbang [Linked Image]
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556058
07/11/16 09:58 PM
07/11/16 09:58 PM
not in Japan anymore
ShiroKuro Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member

not in Japan anymore
I did email their customer support, I'm waiting to hear back. I was hoping maybe someone here would have some experience mainly I just wanted some sympathy!

I have an iPad Pro but the 9 inch one (the big one is just too expensive!) anyway, I love it, and I love having all my music on my iPad. Even without the air-turn, I find it's easier to turn pages than with a physical book.

I'm hoping this is going to be a short-lived problem, and maybe connected to the newer iPad or something. I'll be sure to give an update.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556068
07/11/16 10:31 PM
07/11/16 10:31 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Tubbie0075 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Tubbie0075  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Melbourne, Australia
I just checked and I have the latest ForScore version 9.4.2. I opened my scores and they look fine (phew~). I use iPad Pro 12".

I hope you get your files back :-(

Be your ♮ self
YouTube channel

Studying:
  • Chopin: Ballade No. 4
  • Rachmaninov: Prelude No. 5 (Gm)
  • Ravel: Pavane for Dead Princess
  • Bach-Rachmaninov: Gavotte
Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556083
07/12/16 12:06 AM
07/12/16 12:06 AM
W
Whizbang Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Whizbang  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W

I did email their customer support, I'm waiting to hear back. I was hoping maybe someone here would have some experience

I recall mailing them about a feature request--half-page turns--and they were responsive. Turns out that was a feature in development. So that's a good sign. Hope they get back to you.

Whizbang [Linked Image]
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556085
07/12/16 12:09 AM
07/12/16 12:09 AM
Queensland Australia
MarieJ Offline
Gold Subscriber
MarieJ  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Queensland Australia
Sorry you've had such a problem, ShiroKuro - disappointing and frustrating. I use ForScore 9.4.2 every day on my 12" iPad Pro (iOS 9.3.2) with AirTurn, and have had no problems so far (says she with fingers tightly crossed).

When I first started using the app almost two years ago I had a couple of technical questions which I sent to ForScore's customer support team. I had amazing service from Isaac Watson, so I'm sure they will solve the problem.

By the way, have you tried the usual - completely closing the app, and rebooting the iPad? Or reinstalling ForScore?

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-LI

My C3 - solace.
Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556096
07/12/16 01:59 AM
07/12/16 01:59 AM
Queensland Australia
MarieJ Offline
Gold Subscriber
MarieJ  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Queensland Australia
And I just copied this from forScore's support page:

"Repeated crashing when you launch forScore

If the app has started crashing repeatedly when you launch forScore, it’s possible a recently added or modified file is causing issues, either because it’s too large for your device to process or it contains data that is causing an error.

If you connect your device to your computer, you can use the iTunes File Sharing panel to delete the most recently added file(s) from forScore and then try re-launching the app to see if that clears out the error. If you’re able to see a page of a score before it crashes, try removing that file first. Once you’ve identified which file it might be, we can do some testing with it to see if we can identify why it’s causing issues."

Hope this is useful.

My C3 - solace.
Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556112
07/12/16 06:00 AM
07/12/16 06:00 AM
not in Japan anymore
ShiroKuro Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member

not in Japan anymore
Tubbie, thanks you. I have all the files on my laptop as well, so I won't lose any music. But I've been doing a lot of writing on the scores, so I may lose anything I've annotated. And I've made several different set lists for myself so I can group pieces into those used for sightreading practice, those that are repertoire, scale work etc.

MarieJ, oh no! That must be it!

So I've been taking all my score books and making them into PDFs, entire books, and then putting them into forScore.

I have one scale book, the complete one with scales, arps and cadences, I wonder how many pages that is. For the Einaudi books I have, the Best Of is in one file, but Islands and .... What are the others called, Le Onde, In a Time Lapse, for some I made one file for the whole book, for two I separated it into 2 files but it's still huge. And I always set the resolution to 300dpi rather than 200, not color, but black and white. Still, I think those are large files, and of course possibly 10x larger, or more, than a file consisting of a single piece.

It would be very unfortunate if forScore can't handle these larger files.... For my sight reading practice, I would rather not have these as all individual pieces, it would be unwieldy. And the scale book, that's both for practice and reference, it needs to stay together as one book....

For pieces in my repertoire, I have them in there as individual pieces, because I've worked on the piece on paper, and then I make a PDF of the score with all my markings on it. So those are fine, but I have a much larger collection of other music that is just better organized if it can separated into individual books. Phooey!

I hope Mr. Watson gets in touch with me and has some good news, otherwise I am going to have to start lobbying them to make another update to handle larger files! What's the point of having a 128g iPad if I can't fill it up with massive PDF scores! I use iAnnotate for research, and I do the same thing, I take entire books, scan them as PDFs and put them on my iPad. Oh, and I render them first so that they're searchable as text. Those files are massive, iAnnotate works just fine. Come on forScore, you can do it too!! (>_<)

Oh, MarieJ btw, I have tried closing the app and rebooting the iPad, that didn't do anything. But I haven't tried reinstalling forScore. Won't I lose all the things I've created that way (annotated scores, set lists)?

Well anyway, before I try that, I'll try deleting some files through iTunes. Ugh, the page I can see when it crashes is the from the scale book, and that book isn't even half as long as some of my Einaudi books. I would hate to have to go through (on my laptop) and separate all those into individual pieces and then reload them into forScore. And I was going to make PDFs of all my collections of Christmas music and the Bach chorales book, those books are a good two inches thick!!
frown

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 07/12/16 06:05 AM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556117
07/12/16 06:47 AM
07/12/16 06:47 AM
not in Japan anymore
ShiroKuro Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member

not in Japan anymore
Ok I just sent the world's longest email to Mr. Isaac Watson. laugh

MareiJ, thanks so much for your two comments!

I'll report back!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556118
07/12/16 06:49 AM
07/12/16 06:49 AM
Queensland Australia
MarieJ Offline
Gold Subscriber
MarieJ  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Queensland Australia
It *does* sound as if the size of some of your files is causing the crashes. The manual refers to this: "You can use virtually any PDF file with forScore, but not every file works perfectly. Very large files will not perform well with forScore (or any PDF reader on the iPad) due to the limits of the hardware itself, so if you’re scanning your own files you may need to try a few different settings before you find a good balance of quality and size."

So I suspect that reinstalling forScore isn't going to help in this case, (and as you say, you may well end up losing some of the things you've created).

I'm afraid my experience doesn't extend to really big files, so I can't suggest any way around this. I've only scanned in individual pieces, then organised them under 'library', 'genre', 'tag', 'label' etc. You definitely need the experts at forScore!

Good luck - and please let us all know how you get on.

My C3 - solace.
Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556145
07/12/16 09:28 AM
07/12/16 09:28 AM
Rocky Mountains, USA
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
EP  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rocky Mountains, USA
FWIW, I have entire books scanned at 600 dpi - I checked and some are over 100 MB. I've never had a problem with ForScore choking on any of them (I keep the app and the ios updated, so I must be using the most current version).
iPad Pro 12.9"
Sorry you're having a problem, but I agree there must be a file that is crashing it (assuming you've done the usual re-booting, re-installing, etc.)

Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556155
07/12/16 09:50 AM
07/12/16 09:50 AM
not in Japan anymore
ShiroKuro Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member

not in Japan anymore
Marie, re this:
The manual refers to this: "You can use virtually any PDF file with forScore, but not every file works perfectly. Very large files will not perform well with forScore (or any PDF reader on the iPad) due to the limits of the hardware itself, so if you’re scanning your own files you may need to try a few different settings before you find a good balance of quality and size."

(Marie, this comment is directed at the manual, not at you!!) That might have been true a few years ago, but it shouldn't be true anymore. I have the smaller iPad Pro, 128g, it has the same hardware as the larger Pro. And the largest file (as far as I can tell without spending more than a minute) is maybe 30mb.

EP,
I have entire books scanned at 600 dpi - I checked and some are over 100 MB.

This gives me hope!

EP, do you do a lot of annotation? So far, I have mainly been doing the handwriting tool, and in a few pieces I've installed buttons (is that what they're called, can't remember) to jump for repeats or D.S. type markings, but that's about it. I hope that's not the problem.

If it's just one file, I could delete that. I wonder if I would have to rescan it, or if I could monkey with the file and re-upload it successfully.

BTW, EP, how to do you make your scans? Here's what I do.

I use the big (commercial) copy machine in my office, it's the same as the kind you'd see in a library. I set it to scan to PDF. Then I do all the settings myself. I choose "black and white text w/ line" for the type of document, I select the size (generally in the realm of A4), I set it to 300dpi (but yeah, 600 would be nicer!), and I give it a title. Then I have it emailed from the copy machine to my email address. (my emailed doesn't have a 10mb limit like some accounts used to)

Then after that I often do a little bit of editing in Adobe Pro before it's ready for forScore. I often have to rotate pages, and I may do some cropping. Then I save the file, and upload that file to my Dropbox account. Finally, I access Dropbox from my iPad, and select open in forScore.

So, I wonder if there's something I could do differently in this process.... Or maybe some file accidentally had some lock or security put on it....

Oh, one other source of recent scores is Piano Pronto, I've been buying scores from them for sightreading practice (which I highly recommend btw). But I don't remember what was the last score I looked at before the crash. However, the score that pops up now, before forScore crashes again, is a pdf I made myself (from the scale book, no annotations in this one yet). This is approx. 100 pages, 30mb. So not all that large....

Thanks for all the replies thus far everyone! I will definitely share updates and any resolutions. Because, as you can see, I'm kind of obsessed about this! whome

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556161
07/12/16 10:15 AM
07/12/16 10:15 AM
Rocky Mountains, USA
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
EP  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rocky Mountains, USA
I checked again, and I have some files over 200 mb.
I have an epson scanner that will take large pages, scan them using the automatic document feeder (I have a stack paper cutter so if it's a bound book I simply cut off the spine).
The scanner only scans one side, so I flip the stack and scan the back sides, then use a shareware program (sorry, I'm not at home so I don't have the name of the program, but I think a lot of them will do this) to put the pages back in order (it does this automatically).
I scan directly to my computer, then upload to the iPad.
Then I punch the pages and coil bind the book and stick it back on the shelf.
BTW, I do annotate (mostly with the Apple Pencil), create links, etc. I can't imagine that being a problem.

Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556168
07/12/16 10:28 AM
07/12/16 10:28 AM
not in Japan anymore
ShiroKuro Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member

not in Japan anymore
EP, thanks for all the explanations!

Please let me know the name of the shareware when you have a minute, I don't think Adobe Pro can do what you're describing (though I may just not know about it??)

Anyway, it doesn't sound like you're doing anything important differently. I may just have a weird corrupted file somewhere.

Well, no, actually, the one potentially important difference is that you're scanning directly to your computer. I wonder if there are more chances for problems because I'm using this big copy machine that emails me the files, and for example, if that's how I got a corrupted file or something.

How do you get the files from computer to iPad? Using the lightning cable or using something like Dropbox, or emailing it to yourself?

I do have a printer at home that I could scan to computer with, but it would be much slower because of the set up (it's an HP all-in-one officejet), the office machine is very fast and good quality. Although, if i could scan at home and not having this crashing problem, I guess it would be worth it!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556173
07/12/16 10:43 AM
07/12/16 10:43 AM
Rocky Mountains, USA
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
EP  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rocky Mountains, USA
It's called pdfsam - you can find it at pdfsam.org

Also, if you have a bad file, you might try to open it in on your computer then print to pdf to create a new file. You can use Cute pdf (shareware) if you don't have a way to do that.

Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556175
07/12/16 10:47 AM
07/12/16 10:47 AM
Rocky Mountains, USA
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
EP  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rocky Mountains, USA
To get them to my iPad, I usually just put them on my cloud server (I have a Seagate Sdrive), then I can get them whenever I want them.
If I have a lot of files, I zip the whole works and use iTunes to send it to Goodreader on the iPad, which will unzip them in the same directory structure they have on your computer, then on the iPad I can copy them to ForScore. Otherwise, you can just use iTunes to send them directly to ForScore, but it can't handle zip files.

Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556177
07/12/16 10:48 AM
07/12/16 10:48 AM
not in Japan anymore
ShiroKuro Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member

not in Japan anymore
EP, thanks for the name! I do a lot with PDFs for work (I'm a teacher/researcher) so it looks like that shareware might do some things I could use for work too!

It's funny, because I have the pro version of Adobe, and it does a lot but I find there are often functions that I would think would be obvious, that it just doesn't do.

The suggestion to print to pdf is a good one! I will definitely try that. (I can do that from within Adobe pro).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556178
07/12/16 10:50 AM
07/12/16 10:50 AM
not in Japan anymore
ShiroKuro Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member

not in Japan anymore
I haven't used Goodreader for iPad, maybe I'll try that too.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and info!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556192
07/12/16 11:30 AM
07/12/16 11:30 AM
Rocky Mountains, USA
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
EP  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rocky Mountains, USA
Good luck, and let us know what you figure out.

Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: EP] #2556206
07/12/16 12:16 PM
07/12/16 12:16 PM
S
Steffie Offline
Steffie  Offline
S

With Forscore a hard reset of your ipad will often help. Just press the Home button en the on/off button together en hold for at least 10 seconds. No harm in trying.

Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556215
07/12/16 12:58 PM
07/12/16 12:58 PM
not in Japan anymore
ShiroKuro Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member

not in Japan anymore
Steffie, did that. Probably 3 times just in case. Thanks anyway! smile

I'm still waiting to hear from forScore...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556282
07/12/16 07:36 PM
07/12/16 07:36 PM
not in Japan anymore
ShiroKuro Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member

not in Japan anymore
So I had one email from forScore's Mr. Watson and I emailed him back but haven't heard back yet.

Don't forsake me Mr. Watson!

Seriously, I wonder if he's the main person for response/customer support? Hopefully he's not too busy...

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 07/12/16 07:37 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556314
07/12/16 10:16 PM
07/12/16 10:16 PM
not in Japan anymore
ShiroKuro Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member

not in Japan anymore
Ok, I have not been forsaken! laugh

So, a few more back and forths, we're not done yet.

But, he did say that the file size shouldn't be a problem, and that that really only concerns older iPads.

So I had to send him some more info and now I have to wait for the next set of directions....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556370
07/13/16 05:25 AM
07/13/16 05:25 AM
Rocky Mountains, USA
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
EP  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rocky Mountains, USA
Hi ShiroKuro,
I'm guessing you've probably done all this, but I'm curious just the same.
If I were troubleshooting this problem, the first thing i would want to know for sure is if there is a problem with the app/ios itself, or is there indeed a particular file or files that are causing the problem.
The simplest way to do that would be to delete all your pdfs from ForScore (you can save them, with all your annotations, your metadata, etc. to your computer), then see if there are any problems with the app crashing with known-good files. Assuming it works OK, then you know it's a problem with your documents. If it still crashes, you have a problem with your app/ios.
Sorry if this post is redundant, but I'm not sure if you've actually done this.

Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556394
07/13/16 08:17 AM
07/13/16 08:17 AM
not in Japan anymore
ShiroKuro Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member

not in Japan anymore
No, EP I hadn't don't that, so thank you for mentioning it.

So, I thought I knew how to do that, but evidently I don't.

I can connect my iPad to my computer, go to iTunes and save all the scores in forScore using the file sharing option (which I did). But I couldn't see how to delete files. (And I didn't have time this morning to search for it or google it).

Using file sharing, I can see the dates for when scores were added, so if I can figure out how to delete them, I can just go and delete anything added before July 1st I guess.

Also, here's an update on my backs and forths with the fine gentleman at forScore.

He had me send him some crash logs and a backup file from forScore (iPad keeps crash logs and you can get them from your computer. Who knew!) After seeing those, he told me that it seems like a problem with the pen presets and the annotation mode settings. He had me upgrade to the most recent version of forScore (which was released yesterday). It seemed like it might work, I was able to open up forScore, see all my scores and set lists etc. But then when I closed it and re-opened it, it crashed again! frown

So now I'm waiting for the next set of instructions from him. We shall see. As frustrating as this is, I'm quite impressed with the customer support.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556416
07/13/16 10:10 AM
07/13/16 10:10 AM
Rocky Mountains, USA
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
EP  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rocky Mountains, USA
You can delete the files fairly easily from within iTunes (sorry I'm not at home where I can talk you through it right now) or you can do it right in ForScore - go to all scores, edit, then delete them.
Frankly, at this point, if I were you, once you have your backups, I would simply delete the app, which will also delete your files, then reinstall the app and start adding your files back in. Might save you some time and trouble.

Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: EP] #2556418
07/13/16 10:25 AM
07/13/16 10:25 AM
not in Japan anymore
ShiroKuro Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member

not in Japan anymore
Originally Posted by EP
You can delete the files fairly easily from within iTunes (sorry I'm not at home where I can talk you through it right now)

I might ask you for help with this if I can't figure it out.

or you can do it right in ForScore - go to all scores, edit, then delete them.

Except, I can't get forScore to stay open long enough to do even that! frown

Frankly, at this point, if I were you, once you have your backups, I would simply delete the app, which will also delete your files, then reinstall the app and start adding your files back in. Might save you some time and trouble.

Yeah, I'm waiting to hear back from customer service just in case to see if he has some other suggestion. But at this point, having to re-do all my set lists isn't the end of the world, and if I can get back to using the darn app that way then that's what I want to do!! (>_<)

Anyway, thanks again for all your comments in this thread! It makes up for some of the frustration!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556588
07/14/16 08:24 AM
07/14/16 08:24 AM
not in Japan anymore
ShiroKuro Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member

not in Japan anymore
Well, after sending as much data to customer support as I could, I deleted the app and did a reinstall this morning. That seemed to fix it, whew!

I don't think I explained the whole thing, so here it is. It turned out that the problem wasn't related to large files or any particular file that had been corrupted etc., but something related to pen presets (in annotation mode) and the default annotation mode settings. While working on my problem, they released another update of the app (so anyone using it should probably upgrade). Unfortunately that didn't solve my problem, probably because updating the app preserved the problematic presets. The way it ulitmately got fixed was for me to delete the app (after backing up the files to my laptop, including forScore's automatic backup file, which you can see in iTunes), and then when I did the reinstall, instead of having me do "restore library and settings," he told me to just do "restore library." This means that I lost any tool settings I had changed from the defaults, but I didn't lose the set lists that I had created. So that was a big relief!

For anyone who's interested in the issue, in file size and all that, I'll C&P what Mr. Watson from customer support told me. The tl;dr version is, it's ok to have larger files and making a PDF of an entire book of scores is probably not a problem. More from customer support:

File size and complexity can lead to crashes if the iPad’s processor runs out of memory, but this is typically only an issue with the first three generations of the iPad and older versions of forScore. Scanning at 300 dpi with an iPad Pro, even for longer files with lots of pages, shouldn’t present any issues with your forScore library or performance, and workplace scanners like what you’ve described are typically pretty efficient with their settings. 600 dpi is probably overkill, especially because forScore can only zoom in so far on a score.

If a score is displaying briefly when you launch the app, that’s more of an indication that the file itself contains some sort of error, either due to file corruption, the encode used to create the PDF, or some strange metadata that forScore can’t process.

Lastly, regarding the screen shot you’re seeing when you double-tap the home button (multitasking view), that’s a cached image generated by iOS periodically, so it’s okay that it doesn’t seem current. The system only grabs those screen shots every so often, so they can sometimes be from a few app “sessions” ago.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556594
07/14/16 08:45 AM
07/14/16 08:45 AM
Rocky Mountains, USA
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
EP  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rocky Mountains, USA
Thanks for the update. I'm glad you got it fixed.

Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556599
07/14/16 09:07 AM
07/14/16 09:07 AM
Upstate New York, USA
N
newbert Offline
1000 Post Club Member
newbert  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N

Upstate New York, USA
Well, after sending as much data to customer support as I could, I deleted the app and did a reinstall this morning. That seemed to fix it, whew!

I don't think I explained the whole thing, so here it is. It turned out that the problem wasn't related to large files or any particular file that had been corrupted etc., but something related to pen presets (in annotation mode) and the default annotation mode settings. While working on my problem, they released another update of the app (so anyone using it should probably upgrade). Unfortunately that didn't solve my problem, probably because updating the app preserved the problematic presets. The way it ulitmately got fixed was for me to delete the app (after backing up the files to my laptop, including forScore's automatic backup file, which you can see in iTunes), and then when I did the reinstall, instead of having me do "restore library and settings," he told me to just do "restore library." This means that I lost any tool settings I had changed from the defaults, but I didn't lose the set lists that I had created. So that was a big relief!

For anyone who's interested in the issue, in file size and all that, I'll C&P what Mr. Watson from customer support told me. The tl;dr version is, it's ok to have larger files and making a PDF of an entire book of scores is probably not a problem. More from customer support:

File size and complexity can lead to crashes if the iPad’s processor runs out of memory, but this is typically only an issue with the first three generations of the iPad and older versions of forScore. Scanning at 300 dpi with an iPad Pro, even for longer files with lots of pages, shouldn’t present any issues with your forScore library or performance, and workplace scanners like what you’ve described are typically pretty efficient with their settings. 600 dpi is probably overkill, especially because forScore can only zoom in so far on a score.

If a score is displaying briefly when you launch the app, that’s more of an indication that the file itself contains some sort of error, either due to file corruption, the encode used to create the PDF, or some strange metadata that forScore can’t process.

Lastly, regarding the screen shot you’re seeing when you double-tap the home button (multitasking view), that’s a cached image generated by iOS periodically, so it’s okay that it doesn’t seem current. The system only grabs those screen shots every so often, so they can sometimes be from a few app “sessions” ago.

But - Isn't making a single PDF file of an entire book problematic in terms of conveniently finding a single song within that book?

I would think that keeping each song as a single PDF file is much more effective in terms of organizing your music library.

Or perhaps I'm missing the point?

Bert
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is Kawai CN37 Worth The Extra Money?
by yarinch. 11/15/18 04:05 AM
Brodmann PE 121 vs. Kawai K300
by Timpskie. 11/15/18 12:20 AM
Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room
by AB Forum Recital. 11/14/18 10:44 PM
Recital 52 --- November 15, 2018
by AB Forum Recital. 11/14/18 09:06 PM
DIGITAL PIANO "SECONDS WAITED"
by ericco. 11/14/18 06:15 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,338
Posts2,761,231
Members91,490
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission