Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
96 registered members (BoyFromBoonton, AnthonyPaulO, astrotoy, agraffe, aqwerse, AnnInMiami, Beowulf, 36251, AWilley, 24 invisible), 1,041 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556215
07/12/16 01:58 PM
07/12/16 01:58 PM
not in Japan anymore
ShiroKuro Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member

not in Japan anymore
Steffie, did that. Probably 3 times just in case. Thanks anyway! smile

I'm still waiting to hear from forScore...

Started piano June 1999. My recordings at Box.Net:
https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556282
07/12/16 08:36 PM
07/12/16 08:36 PM
not in Japan anymore
ShiroKuro Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member

not in Japan anymore
So I had one email from forScore's Mr. Watson and I emailed him back but haven't heard back yet.

Don't forsake me Mr. Watson!

Seriously, I wonder if he's the main person for response/customer support? Hopefully he's not too busy...

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 07/12/16 08:37 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556314
07/12/16 11:16 PM
07/12/16 11:16 PM
not in Japan anymore
ShiroKuro Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member

not in Japan anymore
Ok, I have not been forsaken! laugh

So, a few more back and forths, we're not done yet.

But, he did say that the file size shouldn't be a problem, and that that really only concerns older iPads.

So I had to send him some more info and now I have to wait for the next set of directions....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556370
07/13/16 06:25 AM
07/13/16 06:25 AM
Rocky Mountains, USA
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
EP  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rocky Mountains, USA
Hi ShiroKuro,
I'm guessing you've probably done all this, but I'm curious just the same.
If I were troubleshooting this problem, the first thing i would want to know for sure is if there is a problem with the app/ios itself, or is there indeed a particular file or files that are causing the problem.
The simplest way to do that would be to delete all your pdfs from ForScore (you can save them, with all your annotations, your metadata, etc. to your computer), then see if there are any problems with the app crashing with known-good files. Assuming it works OK, then you know it's a problem with your documents. If it still crashes, you have a problem with your app/ios.
Sorry if this post is redundant, but I'm not sure if you've actually done this.

Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556394
07/13/16 09:17 AM
07/13/16 09:17 AM
not in Japan anymore
ShiroKuro Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member

not in Japan anymore
No, EP I hadn't don't that, so thank you for mentioning it.

So, I thought I knew how to do that, but evidently I don't.

I can connect my iPad to my computer, go to iTunes and save all the scores in forScore using the file sharing option (which I did). But I couldn't see how to delete files. (And I didn't have time this morning to search for it or google it).

Using file sharing, I can see the dates for when scores were added, so if I can figure out how to delete them, I can just go and delete anything added before July 1st I guess.

Also, here's an update on my backs and forths with the fine gentleman at forScore.

He had me send him some crash logs and a backup file from forScore (iPad keeps crash logs and you can get them from your computer. Who knew!) After seeing those, he told me that it seems like a problem with the pen presets and the annotation mode settings. He had me upgrade to the most recent version of forScore (which was released yesterday). It seemed like it might work, I was able to open up forScore, see all my scores and set lists etc. But then when I closed it and re-opened it, it crashed again! frown

So now I'm waiting for the next set of instructions from him. We shall see. As frustrating as this is, I'm quite impressed with the customer support.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556416
07/13/16 11:10 AM
07/13/16 11:10 AM
Rocky Mountains, USA
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
EP  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rocky Mountains, USA
You can delete the files fairly easily from within iTunes (sorry I'm not at home where I can talk you through it right now) or you can do it right in ForScore - go to all scores, edit, then delete them.
Frankly, at this point, if I were you, once you have your backups, I would simply delete the app, which will also delete your files, then reinstall the app and start adding your files back in. Might save you some time and trouble.

Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: EP] #2556418
07/13/16 11:25 AM
07/13/16 11:25 AM
not in Japan anymore
ShiroKuro Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member

not in Japan anymore
Originally Posted by EP
You can delete the files fairly easily from within iTunes (sorry I'm not at home where I can talk you through it right now)

I might ask you for help with this if I can't figure it out.

or you can do it right in ForScore - go to all scores, edit, then delete them.

Except, I can't get forScore to stay open long enough to do even that! frown

Frankly, at this point, if I were you, once you have your backups, I would simply delete the app, which will also delete your files, then reinstall the app and start adding your files back in. Might save you some time and trouble.

Yeah, I'm waiting to hear back from customer service just in case to see if he has some other suggestion. But at this point, having to re-do all my set lists isn't the end of the world, and if I can get back to using the darn app that way then that's what I want to do!! (>_<)

Anyway, thanks again for all your comments in this thread! It makes up for some of the frustration!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556588
07/14/16 09:24 AM
07/14/16 09:24 AM
not in Japan anymore
ShiroKuro Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member

not in Japan anymore
Well, after sending as much data to customer support as I could, I deleted the app and did a reinstall this morning. That seemed to fix it, whew!

I don't think I explained the whole thing, so here it is. It turned out that the problem wasn't related to large files or any particular file that had been corrupted etc., but something related to pen presets (in annotation mode) and the default annotation mode settings. While working on my problem, they released another update of the app (so anyone using it should probably upgrade). Unfortunately that didn't solve my problem, probably because updating the app preserved the problematic presets. The way it ulitmately got fixed was for me to delete the app (after backing up the files to my laptop, including forScore's automatic backup file, which you can see in iTunes), and then when I did the reinstall, instead of having me do "restore library and settings," he told me to just do "restore library." This means that I lost any tool settings I had changed from the defaults, but I didn't lose the set lists that I had created. So that was a big relief!

For anyone who's interested in the issue, in file size and all that, I'll C&P what Mr. Watson from customer support told me. The tl;dr version is, it's ok to have larger files and making a PDF of an entire book of scores is probably not a problem. More from customer support:

File size and complexity can lead to crashes if the iPad’s processor runs out of memory, but this is typically only an issue with the first three generations of the iPad and older versions of forScore. Scanning at 300 dpi with an iPad Pro, even for longer files with lots of pages, shouldn’t present any issues with your forScore library or performance, and workplace scanners like what you’ve described are typically pretty efficient with their settings. 600 dpi is probably overkill, especially because forScore can only zoom in so far on a score.

If a score is displaying briefly when you launch the app, that’s more of an indication that the file itself contains some sort of error, either due to file corruption, the encode used to create the PDF, or some strange metadata that forScore can’t process.

Lastly, regarding the screen shot you’re seeing when you double-tap the home button (multitasking view), that’s a cached image generated by iOS periodically, so it’s okay that it doesn’t seem current. The system only grabs those screen shots every so often, so they can sometimes be from a few app “sessions” ago.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556594
07/14/16 09:45 AM
07/14/16 09:45 AM
Rocky Mountains, USA
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
EP  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rocky Mountains, USA
Thanks for the update. I'm glad you got it fixed.

Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556599
07/14/16 10:07 AM
07/14/16 10:07 AM
Upstate New York, USA
N
newbert Online content
1000 Post Club Member
newbert  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
N

Upstate New York, USA
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Well, after sending as much data to customer support as I could, I deleted the app and did a reinstall this morning. That seemed to fix it, whew!

I don't think I explained the whole thing, so here it is. It turned out that the problem wasn't related to large files or any particular file that had been corrupted etc., but something related to pen presets (in annotation mode) and the default annotation mode settings. While working on my problem, they released another update of the app (so anyone using it should probably upgrade). Unfortunately that didn't solve my problem, probably because updating the app preserved the problematic presets. The way it ulitmately got fixed was for me to delete the app (after backing up the files to my laptop, including forScore's automatic backup file, which you can see in iTunes), and then when I did the reinstall, instead of having me do "restore library and settings," he told me to just do "restore library." This means that I lost any tool settings I had changed from the defaults, but I didn't lose the set lists that I had created. So that was a big relief!

For anyone who's interested in the issue, in file size and all that, I'll C&P what Mr. Watson from customer support told me. The tl;dr version is, it's ok to have larger files and making a PDF of an entire book of scores is probably not a problem. More from customer support:

File size and complexity can lead to crashes if the iPad’s processor runs out of memory, but this is typically only an issue with the first three generations of the iPad and older versions of forScore. Scanning at 300 dpi with an iPad Pro, even for longer files with lots of pages, shouldn’t present any issues with your forScore library or performance, and workplace scanners like what you’ve described are typically pretty efficient with their settings. 600 dpi is probably overkill, especially because forScore can only zoom in so far on a score.

If a score is displaying briefly when you launch the app, that’s more of an indication that the file itself contains some sort of error, either due to file corruption, the encode used to create the PDF, or some strange metadata that forScore can’t process.

Lastly, regarding the screen shot you’re seeing when you double-tap the home button (multitasking view), that’s a cached image generated by iOS periodically, so it’s okay that it doesn’t seem current. The system only grabs those screen shots every so often, so they can sometimes be from a few app “sessions” ago.

But - Isn't making a single PDF file of an entire book problematic in terms of conveniently finding a single song within that book?

I would think that keeping each song as a single PDF file is much more effective in terms of organizing your music library.

Or perhaps I'm missing the point?

Bert
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556615
07/14/16 11:33 AM
07/14/16 11:33 AM
not in Japan anymore
ShiroKuro Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member

not in Japan anymore
EP, thanks, me too!

Newbert,
Or perhaps I'm missing the point?

Yes and no. smile

I mentioned the book-to-PDF thing early in this thread because there was some discussion about file size and we were wondering if that was what was causing forScore to crash. A PDF of an entire book is not the only or even the main way I put scores into forScore, but I brought it up to say that it wasn't causing the app to crash.

But - Isn't making a single PDF file of an entire book problematic in terms of conveniently finding a single song within that book?

Yes, of course, if you want to just open up a book to a particular song, and especially if that score/song is the only thing you ever play out of that score book/multi-page PDF.

I would think that keeping each song as a single PDF file is much more effective in terms of organizing your music library.

Yes, again, assuming it's a song you're playing regularly, something you're working on or that's in your repertoire etc. And yes again, if it's a song you want to put in a setlist, because if you want to play, say, a song that starts on page 45 of a 100-page PDF, but you put that PDF into the setlist, you'd have to scroll to page 45 every time. PITA as they say.

In my case, for songs I'm working on, songs I want in my repertoire or a particular setlist, I want to have an individual PDF of just that score. And indeed, I do.

But I am moving toward doing almost all of my piano work from my iPad. So that means that I have materials for sightreading, scale work and so on, as well as individual pieces that I play. To take my (all time favorite) scale book (the Complete Scales, Arpeggios, and Cadences book) as an example, that book is as much a reference resource as it is something to use for practicing. To me, it makes more sense to have that as a book. For my sightreading books, I go through the book, play one piece, and then the next day, play the one after that. There's no reason to have all those songs as individual scores cluttering up the list. And forScore has bookmarks (which I've just learned about ) that should make it easier to jump back to a specific spot, so I'm going to try that and see if it works the way I want it to.

I also have collections of Christmas carols and Christmas music that I want to make PDFs of (again, the entire book in one PDF) so that I can just sit down and play through those the way I would with a physical book. And my beloved Einaudi collections, which I like to flip through and play. With these, of course, if I pick one out to make it a part of my repertoire, I'll save that as an individual score.

Remember, this all applies to scores that I own physical copies of, generally in the form of thick books. So when making a PDF, it's also *much* faster to make a PDF of the whole book than do it one song at a time. If I decide I want a particular score individually, I can do that on an as-needed basis.

So as a result of all this, I have a variety of types of files in forScore, some are digital scores for individual pieces I've purchased online, some are PDFs of phsyical (individual) scores that I've scanned in, and some are PDFs of entire books that I've scanned in. Oh, and recently, I have purchased a few digital collections, so these are individual PDFs with 10-ish songs in them (like the ones I'm getting from Piano Pronto for sightreading practice).

One of the big issues with PDFs you (generic you) make yourself is that they don't have any meta-data unless you enter it manually. If I have a physical book, let's say "The Big Book of Christmas Carols" (I just made that up, but I bet I have a book with that title...) ok, wait, I'll check Amazon.. here's one that I bought a while back, "Ultimate Christmas" -- that has 100 songs in it. It would take, well, 100 times longer to make PDFs with file names, genre meta-data and whatever other meta-data I want to have attached to each score. But if I do the whole book, I just do that meta-data once. Much easier!

Does that all make sense? It might not be the way other people do it, but it's working for me (thus far!) and I think as more people use forScore in more ways, the bookmarking tools and so on will become more advanced to reflect the various ways people interact with the app.

Also, sorry this post is so long! I'm oddly obsessed with getting all my scores onto my iPad and switching over to an almost all-digital score interface. If you read this far, thanks! smile

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 07/14/16 11:37 AM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556617
07/14/16 11:43 AM
07/14/16 11:43 AM
not in Japan anymore
ShiroKuro Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member

not in Japan anymore
One more thing:

forScore's customer service is AWESOME!!!

How much does forScore cost? $6.99 or something like that? And that's a one time payment. So you might say they have nothing to gain by spending time working with me to figure out and solve the problem. (of course if you said that, you'd be wrong from a developer's standpoint, but anyway!)

I really appreciate the effort spent, I'm going to write a review as a thank you later, but I thought I'd mention it here as well.
smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556630
07/14/16 01:20 PM
07/14/16 01:20 PM
Upstate New York, USA
N
newbert Online content
1000 Post Club Member
newbert  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
N

Upstate New York, USA
ShiroKuro - I agree with you 100% about ForScore Customer Service. I have ALWAYS gotten any questions answered very quickly and accurately.

Thanks for the explanation of how you organize and use your ForScore PDF files. Although it's not what I do (I generally have one PDF per score), it's always good to hear how others use the app, and I understand your reasoning.

I do have one PDF ("The Gig Book") that contains many scores, but have hardly used it because I found it cumbersome (PITA) to find a specific score when I wanted to. So, thanks for reminding me about the "Bookmark" feature! I'll have to explore exactly how it works.

I'm glad that you've gotten your issues sorted out.

Bert
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Problems with forScore for iPad? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2556657
07/14/16 03:49 PM
07/14/16 03:49 PM
not in Japan anymore
ShiroKuro Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member

not in Japan anymore
I'm glad that you've gotten your issues sorted out.

Thanks! Me too!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Exercise books - Czerny etc.
by Moo :). 03/22/19 09:56 PM
Ordering a piano vs. buying what you try
by ASR. 03/22/19 07:15 PM
Piano With Humility
by Retsacnal. 03/22/19 06:43 PM
Piano in hospital
by CharlesXX. 03/22/19 06:38 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,063
Posts2,809,635
Members92,847
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission