2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
46 members (1957, AZNpiano, Charles Cohen, Chernobieff Piano, ColoRodney, 36251, BeeZee4, 10 invisible), 374 guests, and 389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: OT: Windows 10
doremi #2473081 10/22/15 08:21 PM
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,187
S
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,187
No problems here on my ~6 year old Dell M4500 laptop.

Greg.

Re: OT: Windows 10
doremi #2473125 10/23/15 01:39 AM
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,170
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,170
Windows 10 download kept failing on my desktop until I disabled antivirus (windows security essentials) temporarily. I think it was because it takes so long to scan the files. MS already know the files are virus free, so maybe they make them unscannable just to make the upgrade run more smoothly.

Or maybe Cortana was getting flagged as spyware, because that's what it is.

Also LOL at paying for antivirus


Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
Re: OT: Windows 10
doremi #2483130 11/21/15 10:15 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,849
doremi Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,849
Windows 10 had its first big update since the official launch in July. The big update was earlier this month, the so called November update.

Earlier today, Microsoft suddenly and tacitly pulled the November update.

Pressed for answers, Microsoft said in the past hour that the November update was not really pulled, but will be rolled out gradually via Windows Update.

That leaves open questions, see e.g. http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-has-pulled-the-windows-10-november-update-from-windows-update

FWIW, as to myself, I am glad that I have installed Windows 10 on a trial computer. Windows-as-a-service is a new game even for a giant corporation.


I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
Had I progressed to playing chords,
I would be 'domisol' shocked
Re: OT: Windows 10
doremi #2483227 11/22/15 07:40 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 967
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
R
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 967
If the hardware vendors could just UNHOOK from M/S we would be free from that ~$100 or so premium that we pay for the "free with the hardware" O/S.
{bundled, arguably illegally}

It is incredibly difficult to just delete the junk that "comes with" new platforms, 30 day trial versions of worthless virus scanners, office software,etc.
It seems to be an integral part of the "system", it is implied that deletion of the M/S stuff somehow "BREAKS" the new machine, or at least voids the warranty (worthless though that may be).
For some time now I have merely booted a Linux CD, re-partitioned the disc to squeeze Windows down and installed Linux - but for some reason I never get around to deleting the Windows partition.
I used to keep it around "in case", but I keep asking myself in case of what ?
Open Office handles ALL the "business" file formats I need, Ubuntu Studio has just about every music/art app I could ever use. I don't think there is an application that I want that doesn't run on Linux, so I am left wondering WHY I keep Windows around.

W_a_a_S ??
Windoze "WAAS" Was.

Last edited by R_B; 11/22/15 07:49 AM.
Re: OT: Windows 10
R_B #2483229 11/22/15 07:51 AM
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 8,305
8000 Post Club Member
Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 8,305
Another thing. Some stuff like video auditors wont work with windowx 10. . . Im back to 7.


"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: OT: Windows 10
R_B #2483245 11/22/15 10:29 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 11,304
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 11,304
This is just drivel:
Originally Posted by R_B
If the hardware vendors could just UNHOOK from M/S we would be free from that ~$100 or so premium that we pay for the "free with the hardware" O/S. {bundled, arguably illegally}
Windows is not free. Nothing is. If you don't want something, don't buy it. So why the rant?

And the bundling is not illegal. Why, I've had tires "bundled" onto every car I've ever bought. And "Windows" bundled with every house.

Originally Posted by R_B
It is incredibly difficult to just delete the junk that "comes with" new platforms, 30 day trial versions of worthless virus scanners, office software,etc.
It **is** simple. Just uninstall. Or even simpler: Don't run the unwanted software. Easy.

Originally Posted by R_B
it is implied that deletion of the M/S stuff somehow "BREAKS" the new machine, or at least voids the warranty (worthless though that may be).
I've seen no such implication. Where do you get that from?

Originally Posted by R_B
I don't think there is an application that I want that doesn't run on Linux, so I am left wondering WHY I keep Windows around.
My experience is quite different. My software won't run on Linux. And the substitute "equivalent" software is not at all equivalent, and not compatible. Big problem.

But if you insist on using Linux, fine. I wonder (as do you) just why you keep the Windows installation in place "just in case". (Just in case you feel the need to raise a rant?) smile

Re: OT: Windows 10
MacMacMac #2483421 11/22/15 08:04 PM
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 738
D
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 738
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
This is just drivel:
Originally Posted by R_B
If the hardware vendors could just UNHOOK from M/S we would be free from that ~$100 or so premium that we pay for the "free with the hardware" O/S. {bundled, arguably illegally}
Windows is not free. Nothing is. If you don't want something, don't buy it. So why the rant?

And the bundling is not illegal. Why, I've had tires "bundled" onto every car I've ever bought. And "Windows" bundled with every house.

Originally Posted by R_B
It is incredibly difficult to just delete the junk that "comes with" new platforms, 30 day trial versions of worthless virus scanners, office software,etc.
It **is** simple. Just uninstall. Or even simpler: Don't run the unwanted software. Easy.

Originally Posted by R_B
it is implied that deletion of the M/S stuff somehow "BREAKS" the new machine, or at least voids the warranty (worthless though that may be).
I've seen no such implication. Where do you get that from?

Originally Posted by R_B
I don't think there is an application that I want that doesn't run on Linux, so I am left wondering WHY I keep Windows around.
My experience is quite different. My software won't run on Linux. And the substitute "equivalent" software is not at all equivalent, and not compatible. Big problem.

But if you insist on using Linux, fine. I wonder (as do you) just why you keep the Windows installation in place "just in case". (Just in case you feel the need to raise a rant?) smile


Absolutely agree with MacMacMac on every point....


Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, Shure SRH240A, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Vienna Imperial, Galaxy Vintage D, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
Re: OT: Windows 10
doremi #2493334 12/23/15 11:16 PM
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,187
S
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,187
Well now I do have a problem - audio clicks & pops that I can't get rid of. Problem goes away if I switch to the integrated audio interface, using ASIO4ALL. May have started after the most recent major Win10 update. My audio interface is the old M-Audio Fast Track Ultra, now supported by Avid. Have sought assistance.

Greg.

Re: OT: Windows 10
doremi #2493371 12/24/15 03:20 AM
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,187
S
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,187
I found the problem - I'm a bloody idiot.

I was using the power adaptor from a different laptop - still a Dell, but a different model. The laptop had detected that I was not using the correct adaptor, and limited the performance/power consumption to protect itself from the bloody idiot user.

I very nearly went the whole of 2015 without making a mistake! Damn.

Greg.

Re: OT: Windows 10
doremi #2555947 07/11/16 03:23 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,849
doremi Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,849
18 days left for the free upgrade to Windows 10 if you are on Windows 7 or Windows 8.1

Me? 1 machine has been upgraded to Windows 10, 1 is to remain at Windows 7, still can't decide on whether or not to upgrade for several other machines LOL


I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
Had I progressed to playing chords,
I would be 'domisol' shocked
Re: OT: Windows 10
doremi #2555953 07/11/16 04:04 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 11,304
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 11,304
My work laptop was moved to Win 10. Works like a charm. But I don't run pianos on that laptop!

At home my pianos are on Win 7.

Will Win 10 run those pianos properly? I'm not ready to take a chance.

So ... this is my twelfth home computer on which I've done no OS upgrades. It's not worth the risk.

Re: OT: Windows 10
doremi #2555956 07/11/16 04:12 PM
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,294
2000 Post Club Member
Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,294
I have multiple virtual pianos on my computer and they all work fine on Windows 10.


Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Re: OT: Windows 10
doremi #2556003 07/11/16 07:16 PM
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 738
D
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 738
I have 6 windows PCs (actually more than that, but I don't include 3 windows atom tablets/convertibles, one of which however I upgraded to windows 10 or a couple of older laptops with XP which I don't use anymore)
Of these 6 active and powerful enough machines, two were moved to windows 10 immediately (one is an old 2010 AMD laptop that I now only use for test purposes) and the other is a quad core i7 desktop replacement from 2014.
The 4 others were not upgraded and are:
- Surface pro 3: windows 8.1 (I actually had moved to windows 10 but just went back to 8.1 as "system and compressed memory" was hogging the CPU constantly and causing the fan to be always on. Now it's silent again. I use it for virtual pianos especially when I am away from home.
- An old quad core laptop from 2009 (one of the first) which I upgraded with 2 SSDs and that is now only devoted to virtual pianos. It will stay with Windows 7.
- An i7 ultrabook from 2012 with windows 7, which I upgraded with a 1TB SSD and now dual boots Windows 7 and 10 (I can have free Windows licences with the University I work for).
- Another quad core i7 from 2013 which is my main machine, which for some reason refuses to upgrade, so I ended up dualbooting as well (8.1 + 10), as I don't want to do a clean install (too many softwares including giveaways I don't want to lose)
So with upgrades and dual boots I have Windows 10 in all my active machines except the 2 I mainly use for music (well I also use the ultrabook sometimes and actually it will replace my old quad core at some point in the future when I retire it).


Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, Shure SRH240A, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Vienna Imperial, Galaxy Vintage D, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
Re: OT: Windows 10
Digitalguy #2556372 07/13/16 06:31 AM
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,118
D
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,118
Originally Posted by Digitalguy
I have 6 windows PCs (actually more than that

- and that's it? All I see in your post is a description of your vast PC wealth with no feedback at all about win 10 itself.

Re: OT: Windows 10
doremi #2556373 07/13/16 06:39 AM
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,118
D
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,118
FWIW, I'm going to do the upgrade today. The freebie for most users, win 7 or later, will be unavailable after the 29th July.

It looks fairly benign to me. You can opt out of pretty much all of the MS data collection, all your apps and data are left in place and you have 30 days to change your mind, reverting to whatever you had before. The bit I'm not sure about is system updates which I believe are non-negotiable - you have to have them. If that turns out not to be at a time of your own choosing then I guess temporarily disabling the internet connection would be a work-around for those in mid-project.

Re: OT: Windows 10
dire tonic #2556376 07/13/16 06:54 AM
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 640
L
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 640
Originally Posted by dire tonic
FWIW, I'm going to do the upgrade today. The freebie for most users, win 7 or later, will be unavailable after the 29th July.

It looks fairly benign to me. You can opt out of pretty much all of the MS data collection, all your apps and data are left in place and you have 30 days to change your mind, reverting to whatever you had before. The bit I'm not sure about is system updates which I believe are non-negotiable - you have to have them. If that turns out not to be at a time of your own choosing then I guess temporarily disabling the internet connection would be a work-around for those in mid-project.

FWIW, my own, main laptop (that is reasonably contemporary and shipped with Windows 8) it was a smooth and seemless upgrade to Windows 10, as was an identical laptop I upgraded for another family member.

My parent's slightly older laptop, running Windows 7, was troublesome, and I ended up rolling it back to Windows 7 - as issues with graphic chipset drivers was problematic, and wouldn't resolve by Windows update, and there were no other drivers available.

I'm going to give it another go, before the deadline, just to see if the driver situation has been addressed in the interim, if not, I'll just roll it back to Win7.

Re: OT: Windows 10
Lester Burnham #2556377 07/13/16 07:10 AM
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,118
D
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,118
Originally Posted by Lester Burnham
My parent's slightly older laptop, running Windows 7, was troublesome, and I ended up rolling it back to Windows 7 - as issues with graphic chipset drivers was problematic, and wouldn't resolve by Windows update, and there were no other drivers available.

I'm going to give it another go, before the deadline, just to see if the driver situation has been addressed in the interim, if not, I'll just roll it back to Win7.

Yes, I can see that being an issue for win7 where manufacturers have been or are being lazy about drivers. Both the laptop and the desktop I use for music (downloading win 10 as I write!) are win 8 so I'm expecting minimum fuss. I do have a much older win 7 laptop which took to win 10 without problems but then again, there's nothing on it except browsing and a couple of other apps. Still, the roll-back makes this worth trying again, as you say.

Re: OT: Windows 10
dire tonic #2556380 07/13/16 07:41 AM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,005
2000 Post Club Member
Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,005
Originally Posted by dire tonic
The freebie for most users, win 7 or later, will be unavailable after the 29th July.

I wouldn't bet on that. smile

It comes free with a new PC anyway. One one which it's guaranteed to work on without issues.


Yamaha P-515 | Kawai ES100 | Steinberg UR22 | Sony MDR-7506
Re: OT: Windows 10
doremi #2556402 07/13/16 09:57 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 967
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
R
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 967
Does Win10 "upgrade" interfere in any way with the boot loader and other partitions ?
i.e. what if the MBR has GRUB that points to various partitions with REAL O/Ss on them ?
Does it wipe the whole disc clean for its own use ?

Re: OT: Windows 10
doremi #2556407 07/13/16 10:30 AM
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 30
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 30
The Windows 10 upgrade replaces ("updates") whatever existing boot loader you have. If you are dual booting different versions of Windows then it will spot the others and add them as options at boot time. For booting to non-Windows OS you'll have to reinstall your previous boot loader after the upgrade.

The upgrader does not wipe the disk clean for it's own use. (You can download an install ISO and wipe the disk if you want, but that isn't how the upgrade works).

Last edited by BusyWait; 07/13/16 10:31 AM.

Regards,
Steven
---
(Re)beginner
Roland RP401R
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Boris Giltburg's Rach 2nd w/o orchestra
by BeeZee4 - 06/03/20 11:59 PM
Mozart K 540: Adagio in Bm: Fingering help
by Lotus1 - 06/03/20 08:39 PM
Buying Piano for Daughters - Looking for Guidance
by The_What_Stage - 06/03/20 05:26 PM
Going to be a concert pianist...
by U3piano - 06/03/20 04:48 PM
Roland digital piano f-140r weird note drop
by Teodor2002 - 06/03/20 04:47 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,387
Posts2,965,763
Members97,296
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers


Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads



 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4