2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 10 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
I am going to be trading in a brand new, in-the-crate (long story) K-600 for another piano (have not selected it yet). I had some troubles with this 2013 K-6, and Kawai is replacing it with a new, unopened K-600.

My - goal - is to wind up with a better piano (better key action, mellower, richer sound, fewer bizarre vibrations) for the least amount of money that I need to "step up" a notch. I was not happy with the K-6 (see above).

To do this in a financially intelligent way, I need to know if the trade-in value that the local piano store is offering me on my K-600, in exchange for another piano, is reasonable.

I know that the salesman holds most of the cards, and I do not like not knowing if a particular deal is a good deal for me, or is a good deal for the salesman.

I would be happy with another upright, perhaps a Yamaha (not a Kawai).

I do not have a trusted adviser to turn to, to explain the situation (the used pianos that I have played and am interested in), and get advice.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Mac

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by pianomise
To do this in a financially intelligent way, I need to know if the trade-in value that the local piano store is offering me on my K-600, in exchange for another piano, is reasonable.
What are they offering for the K-600 ????? smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
P
OP Offline
P
Well...they are offering the "value" that I paid for the original K-6 (8K).

But...all three of the local piano dealers phrased it this way.

The price that I paid for it has nothing at all to do with its current "value", so I guess they are phrasing it that way just to convince me that I am getting a "deal".

So, this makes me think that there is a game being played, in which they do not tell me what is really going on.

Last edited by pianomise; 07/11/16 05:16 PM.
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
I don't see a Piano Buyer SMP for the K600 but the K500 is $12,390. Wonder how much is the invoice price?

If a dealer offers you $9k, could they somehow increase the price of the trade-up by $1k?

Would you sell it privately and do your piano shopping separately?

I am going to be trading in a brand new, in-the-crate (long story) K-600 for another piano (have not selected it yet). I had some troubles with this 2013 K-6, and Kawai is replacing it with a new, unopened K-600.

You're setting yourself up for trouble as obviously done before.
I now won't change your mind but that's the price you'll need to pay when buying 'unopened' in crate.

Good luck!

Norbert

Last edited by Norbert; 07/11/16 06:48 PM.

Well...they are offering the "value" that I paid for the original K-6 (8K).

But...all three of the local piano dealers phrased it this way.

The price that I paid for it has nothing at all to do with its current "value", so I guess they are phrasing it that way just to convince me that I am getting a "deal".

So, this makes me think that there is a game being played, in which they do not tell me what is really going on.

Seems to me that Kawai gave you a "new" piano that they felt was equal in value to the one that was being replaced. Thus - why should they give you a trade allowance that is greater than what you originally paid ? The fact that all three dealers are saying the same thing does seem a little strange. but instead of a "deal" it seems they are simply giving you a fair shake.

Why don't you want to keep the K-600?

And (question to others here) is the K-600 still being built or is it being phased out??

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
P
OP Offline
P
Carey,
No, what I am concered about is the math on the trade-in and move-up.
I do not mind paying some money out of pocket in order to move up to a better piano.
I know that salesmen have to make a profit.
But, I am concerned that the salesman is looking to make an unfair profit in the process.
And concerned that I walk out with a piano that is not actually worth what I paid for it, so that it instantly loses 5K in value the moment it is delivered.

P
OP Offline
P
Folks,
I should have provided some details.
The pianos that I have seen so far:
- Yamaha C2 (annum 2000) - The salesman's offer: My in-the-crate k-600 + 7,500 cash USD
- Petrof V (1940) - The salesman's offer: My in-the-crate k-600 + 6,500 cash USD
- Yamaha YUS5 (annum 2009) - The salesman's offer: My in-the-crate k-600 + 5,500 cash USD

I really liked the C2 and YUS5.
Part of the problem is that I told the salesman that my limit was about 3K out of pocket cash, but he ignored that and directed me to pianos well above that.
This feels like a one-sided game, rather than the dealer working with me.

Part of the problem is that I told the salesman that my limit was about 3K out of pocket cash, but he ignored that and directed me to pianos well above that.

With all due respect to dealers, when you are trading in another piano, new or otherwise, you are always at a disadvantage. And, the salesperson don't care what your budget limit is. They are in business to make a profit, and it they can make their margin and still keep a customer happy, they have done quite well.

In most cases, the profit margin takes precedence over customer satisfaction.

Unfortunately, you are at a disadvantage and at the mercy of the dealer. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you come out of it with a smile on your face, or at least some degree of satisfaction.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
To a previous post - the K600 is not currently available in the US, so no SMP/MSRP is posted.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel

Originally Posted by terminaldegree
To a previous post - the K600 is not currently available in the US, so no SMP/MSRP is posted.

Thanks very much for the clarification !!! thumb

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano

Folks,
I should have provided some details.
The pianos that I have seen so far:
- Yamaha C2 (annum 2000) - The salesman's offer: My in-the-crate k-600 + 7,500 cash USD
- Petrof V (1940) - The salesman's offer: My in-the-crate k-600 + 6,500 cash USD
- Yamaha YUS5 (annum 2009) - The salesman's offer: My in-the-crate k-600 + 5,500 cash USD

I really liked the C2 and YUS5.

Two Questions:

1) Do you have physical possession of the new uncrated K-600 piano?? In other words, is it yours to do with as you please (as in sell privately)?? smile

2) What is your preference for the upgrade - another upright or a grand??

Comment: Of course it's a one sided game - just like buying a new or used car !! BUT the bottom line is that YOU are the one in control - not the dealer - because YOU can say no and simply walk away. So I suggest that you hold firm and try to negotiate a deal that you can live with. If the dealer won't budge, be patient. There are plenty (and I mean PLENTY) of other pianos out there if you have the time and patience to find them.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
S
S
I think it would help to see this from a dealer's perspective.

You need to distinguish the "vale" of the piano to a shopper as opposed to a dealer. A new piano with a selling price of say $10,000 would only be worth about $6000 to a dealer as they can buy pianos at wholesale. The offers you will receive from dealers with reflect this reality.

Economically your best bet is to sell the K-600 on craigslist or through PianoBuyer's classified ads. By selling directed to a shopper you should be able to get a good bit closer to its actual new selling price. You will have to take somewhat less than a local dealer would sell the piano for, as you are not including normal dealer services.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

P
OP Offline
P
> ) Do you have physical possession of the new uncrated K-600 piano?? In other words, is it yours to do with as you please (as in sell privately)?? smile

Not yet. Working on getting it shipped soon.

> What is your preference for the upgrade - another upright or a grand??

Well...an upright. I do not have a lot of space. And I keep hearing that a grand that is the technical equal of an upright costs more just because it is a grand.

> Comment: Of course it's a one sided game - just like buying a new or used car !! BUT the bottom line is that YOU are the one in control - not the dealer - because YOU can say no and simply walk away. So I suggest that you hold firm and try to negotiate a deal that you can live with. If the dealer won't budge, be patient. There are plenty (and I mean PLENTY) of other pianos out there if you have the time and patience to find them.

Thanks. There is nothing locally on craigslist that is of interest. Still looking.

I so much wish that I could hire an expert to come along with me to look at pianos. An expert who does not charge $200 an hour...and one who could advise me on the spot.

P
OP Offline
P
Steve,

Thanks. I understand they need to make a profit. I only want the transaction to be fair.

> Economically your best bet is to sell the K-600 on craigslist or through PianoBuyer's classified ads.

Thanks.

> Thanks. There is nothing locally on craigslist that is of interest. Still looking.

I so much wish that I could hire an expert to come along with me to look at pianos. An expert who does not charge $200 an hour...and one who could advise me on the spot.

Have you considered looking outside your immediate area (within driving distance)?

My personal tuner/tech only charged me $75 to do a quick evaluation of a grand we purchased for our church. I would hope that you could find someone in your area willing to help you for less than $200. Obviously you need to narrow your search down - and test any instrument yourself before asking expert to evaluate it for you. Of course, if you can find a NEW (or lightly used newer) instrument, that wouldn't be as much of an issue. It might not even be necessary with a lightly used newer Yamaha since their build quality is consistently excellent.

Last edited by Carey; 07/12/16 12:08 PM.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
PM,

I still don't understand why you don't want the k-600? It's a good piano in the same league as the YUS5.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by KurtZ
PM,

I still don't understand why you don't want the k-600? It's a good piano in the same league as the YUS5.

Kurt

I am missing the sequence of events of trading in this piano. A few weeks ago, there was a K6, for which advice was sought on whether to trade in for a grand or another upright. Now there is a K600 arriving in a crate, that is not wanted even before being played?

Originally Posted by KurtZ
PM,

Good point. Why not try the K-600 before trading it in ??

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano

Originally Posted by dogperson
I am missing the sequence of events of trading in this piano. A few weeks ago, there was a K6, for which advice was sought on whether to trade in for a grand or another upright. Now there is a K600 arriving in a crate, that is not wanted even before being played?
In late June the OP seemed fine with the three year old K6. Pianomise - how did the K-600 enter into the picture????

Last edited by Carey; 07/12/16 09:04 PM.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission