Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
76 registered members (anamnesis, astrotoy, anotherscott, amyram, Bruce In Philly, 36251, bsntn99, 16 invisible), 1,047 guests, and 471 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: The Piano Music of Charles Ives [Re: Dfrankjazz] #2555624 07/10/16 07:41 AM
S
Steve Chandler Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Dfrankjazz
Einstein versus America's Got Talent

There are many criteria for determining if a composer is great. One I like is do I enjoy the listening experience? In the case of Ives vs. Copland, the only piece by Ives that I listen go with any regularity is the Variations on America, composed when he was 16. I'd rather listen to Copland's early Clarinet Concerto than Ives' 4th Symphony. I get that the Ives is a great work, I've been told so many times, I just don't enjoy listening to it.

Ives had an agenda, be dissonant. I don't mind dissonance when it serves a dramatic purpose, but in Ives it's unrelenting and as such comes to be heard as noise. Ives was certainly original, but who cares if no one cares to listen?

Dave, you have an agenda. You appreciate Ives, good for you. You want to share your appreciation, wonderful. You made a nice video to make your case, awesome, but your case loses credibility when you insult those who disagree with you. Copland certainty deserves more respect that America's Got a Talent. To be honest I would rather listen to Phillip Glass than Charles Ives (and I don't enjoy minimalism).

Make your case and if people don't agree continue making hour case, but don't just tell us he was America's greatest composer, tell us why you think so.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: The Piano Music of Charles Ives [Re: Steve Chandler] #2555633 07/10/16 08:21 AM
D
Dfrankjazz Online Content OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
500 Post Club Member
D
Well, all you're saying is that you don't dig his music that much, that's fine. I think Ives is the greatest due to his groundbreaking conception of music as a whole. His use of dissonance wasn't an agenda in my opinion, but the clarion call of the true expression of life through sound, a major breakthrough in musical thought. He was SO far ahead of anyone and everyone in his daring, in his achievements, and in his concept, to me he's like a Da Vinci in the pantheon of greatness. After listening to Ives I can barely listen to Bach. I think Ives is the Keith Jarrett of American composers, there's nobody in his universe.

Ok, you're right I think, Copland is a helluva lot better than America's got talent, sorry. Copland is wonderful, I never listen to any of his music. If I were on a desert island I would take Ives 4th.

Last edited by Dfrankjazz; 07/10/16 08:25 AM.
Re: The Piano Music of Charles Ives [Re: Polyphonist] #2555636 07/10/16 08:23 AM
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
500 Post Club Member
D
No, you don't have to like him.

Re: The Piano Music of Charles Ives [Re: Dfrankjazz] #2555641 07/10/16 08:42 AM
P
prout Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I like Ives, but prefer Copland. His Piano Variations certainly compete with Ive's somewhat moderate dissonance. Leonard Bernstein said of the Piano Variations that he adored the piece, which was "hard as nails," and also used it at parties to "empty the room, guaranteed, in two minutes."

Re: The Piano Music of Charles Ives [Re: JoelW] #2555674 07/10/16 11:39 AM
JoelW Offline
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoelW
Ives was a visionary, sure, but not the greatest American composer. Gershwin is undoubtedly the "greatest", but I would personally put the songwriters above Ives too.

Einstein versus America's Got Talent

Not even close.

Re: The Piano Music of Charles Ives [Re: JoelW] #2555749 07/10/16 07:55 PM
A
argerichfan Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

Not even close.

Ives, Copland... IMO none of them remotely approach Gershwin for sheer spontaneity and an innate and unbridled talent which reminds me of Mozart and Ravel. The guy was awesome, his piano playing might have matched Horowitz and Rachmaninov. His deeply felt songs take everyone to the cleaners, his opera 'Porgy and Bess' is crushingly relevant today, and his Concerto in F overflows with thematic material which would make any mortal jealous.

I knew this before I even emigrated to the US. Americans desperately want to claim a great composer for their own, but they aren't looking in the right place.

The mention of Sondheim earlier is not to be dismissed. There is another great one.

Jason
Re: The Piano Music of Charles Ives [Re: Dfrankjazz] #2555750 07/10/16 07:56 PM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Among American composers, Ives was the greatest insurance salesman.

Semipro Tech
Re: The Piano Music of Charles Ives [Re: Dfrankjazz] #2555772 07/10/16 10:02 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
500 Post Club Member
D
ook.

Re: The Piano Music of Charles Ives [Re: Dfrankjazz] #2555773 07/10/16 10:06 PM
beet31425 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I think Copland's Piano Sonata is a wonderful work, strange and noble and slightly austere.

But Ives's Concord Sonata is the one that I worship. It's like a forest: beautiful, rich, dense, impenetrable. It's one of the most worthwhile works I've ever gotten to know.

-J

Beethoven op.110, Chopin op.27/2, Liszt Vallée d'Obermann
Re: The Piano Music of Charles Ives [Re: argerichfan] #2555775 07/10/16 10:15 PM
JoelW Offline
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Americans desperately want to claim a great composer for their own, but they aren't looking in the right place.

Where should they look?

Re: The Piano Music of Charles Ives [Re: Dfrankjazz] #2555929 07/11/16 12:41 PM
N
newport Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
“ ...Sources of Ives' tonal imagery are hymn tunes and traditional songs, the town band at holiday parade, the fiddlers at Saturday night dances, patriotic songs, sentimental parlor ballads, and the melodies of Stephen Foster. ”

I like this!

Chopin Op, 24
Czerny Variation on a theme by Rode
Chopin Bolero
Schumann Piano Concerto / Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 5

Re: The Piano Music of Charles Ives [Re: Dfrankjazz] #2555987 07/11/16 05:10 PM
JoelW Offline
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I think Ives is the greatest due to his groundbreaking conception of music as a whole. His use of dissonance wasn't an agenda in my opinion, but the clarion call of the true expression of life through sound, a major breakthrough in musical thought. He was SO far ahead of anyone and everyone in his daring, in his achievements, and in his concept, to me he's like a Da Vinci in the pantheon of greatness. After listening to Ives I can barely listen to Bach. I think Ives is the Keith Jarrett of American composers, there's nobody in his universe.

You are passionate, Dfrankjazz, but you do not persuade.

Re: The Piano Music of Charles Ives [Re: Dfrankjazz] #2555988 07/11/16 05:13 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
500 Post Club Member
D
Well at least I'm passionate.

Re: The Piano Music of Charles Ives [Re: Dfrankjazz] #2555992 07/11/16 05:27 PM
B
BDB Offline
B
I prefer Cowell.

Semipro Tech
Re: The Piano Music of Charles Ives [Re: Dfrankjazz] #2555996 07/11/16 05:39 PM
JoelW Offline
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
After listening to Ives I can barely listen to Bach.

What about Mozart or Beethoven?

Re: The Piano Music of Charles Ives [Re: Dfrankjazz] #2556008 07/11/16 06:35 PM
B
bennevis Offline
B
Personally, I think Ives's best music is in his orchestral works, not piano music.

This was the first Ives piece I ever heard, and I was hooked on its beauty and its weirdness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnl9Wo3UexU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI0vpOEWBHE

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: The Piano Music of Charles Ives [Re: ChopinAddict] #2556149 07/12/16 09:31 AM
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
Ives was a visionary, sure, but not the greatest American composer. Gershwin is undoubtedly the "greatest", but I would personally put the songwriters above Ives too.

I think that for example on this list http://www.gramophone.co.uk/feature/top-10-american-composers I would put more than one before Ives. As you say he was a visionary, but not the greatest for me either.

William Grant Still should be on that list.

Gary
Essex EUP-111 at the mountains
W. Hoffmann T-122 at the beach
Re: The Piano Music of Charles Ives [Re: Dfrankjazz] #2556195 07/12/16 11:36 AM
M
mrenaud Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Milton Babbitt also.

I have an ice cream. I cannot mail it, for it will melt.
Re: The Piano Music of Charles Ives [Re: Plowboy] #2556257 07/12/16 05:02 PM
T
Tim Adrianson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
I can somewhat sympathize with Still, but I'd put Duke Ellington first -- particularly when Gramophone included Gershwin and Bernstein in their top 10. I'm still a Copland fan for "the greatest" -- I think he did more than anyone to identify an "American sound" in Classical music. And I'd definitely put both Barber and Ives in the top five, although this would be much to the chagrin of Barber -- he was on record as saying he couldn't stand Ives's music.

Re: The Piano Music of Charles Ives [Re: ChopinAddict] #2556259 07/12/16 05:18 PM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict

I think that for example on this list http://www.gramophone.co.uk/feature/top-10-american-composers I would put more than one before Ives. As you say he was a visionary, but not the greatest for me either.

In spite of the dumb click-bait title, Gramophone at least has the good sense to go on to say it is really just a selection of ten of their favorite American composers, instead of putting them into some bogus rank as the top ten. There are any number of changes and substitutions that could be made to their selection, but why even bother? I don't need to think of Ives or any other as "the greatest", or in the "top 10" in order to love or admire their music.

I will say that, to me, Ives is among the best American composers. I know, that is a kind of ranking, but it avoids some arbitrary and meaningless limits, which I think makes all the difference.

His music has an enormous range of expression, from a rambunctious joy in sheer noisy sound on one end of the spectrum, to, on the other end, a particular kind of rapturous sublime beauty that is almost a signature of his. His music can be wonderful stuff. It did take me a while to get reasonably acclimatized to his idiom, but it has definitely been worth it.

But, on the other hand, not all of it was so difficult to understand and enjoy on first hearing. I can remember back to the 1960s when Bernstein did "The Unanswered Question" on one of his television shows, and I was instantly convinced. That piece was very strange to my unsophisticated teenage ears, but it still made complete sense and was extremely compelling and moving music.

Jeremy Denk's recording of the two big piano sonatas is, as record reviewers sometimes say, urgently recommended. It is the kind of intensely communicative playing by someone with a deep understanding of the music that can change how you hear it.

For the Fourth of July, the most appropriate piece of his might be the amazing collage-style movement with that title, from his Holidays Symphony. It celebrates the day with a wildly delirious evocation of multiple simultaneous marching bands, plus fireworks.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai CA48 or CN39
by Louise11 - 12/05/19 07:54 PM
Help reading this piece?
by Mils - 12/05/19 06:58 PM
Free piano - from a dealer!
by Chrispy - 12/05/19 04:35 PM
Practice tips for beginners - video
by Morodiene - 12/05/19 11:29 AM
Beginner Repertoire
by JacoV - 12/05/19 08:14 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,525
Posts2,899,049
Members95,164
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission