2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
26 members (Chouca, akc42, Chrispy, CyberGene, Beemer, caffree, Calavera, 8 invisible), 327 guests, and 229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Music Academic Regalia
#2555943 07/11/16 02:55 PM
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I recently learned that an old friend has become the director of choirs and voice instructor at a community college. Bully for him!

Yet, I am puzzled by the regalia that he is wearing in videos of the (US) college's commencement ceremonies. Some concerns:

1. Is it kosher, so to speak, for someone with a master's degree to wear a six-sided, velvet tam instead of a mortar board? (I thought tams were exclusively doctor/Ph. D. headgear.)

2. Said music director appears to be wearing a "Geneva gown" (minister's pulpit gown with velvet panels to each side of the front zipper, no chevrons on sleeves, worn in church without a hood) instead of a master's gown with the funny sleeves. Fair enough, I guess, since he conducts the choir at commencements in regalia (and also serves as a music minister at a nearby church). But, that's not an academic master's robe, he doesn't have a divinity degree (for wearing the Geneva gown), and he ain't in a pulpit. 😀

3. His hood has the expected pink velvet (for music) and lining in his graduate school's colors. But, it is suspiciously large: a doctor's instead of master's hood?

All this smacks of being an incorrect hodgepodge, as well as being slightly dishonest. I wouldn't want him to get into trouble. (I had a college professor for a neighbor who was persnickety about this stuff.) Comments, opinions?

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
Re: Music Academic Regalia
WhoDwaldi #2556005 07/11/16 07:28 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi
I recently learned that an old friend has become the director of choirs and voice instructor at a community college. Bully for him!

Yet, I am puzzled by the regalia that he is wearing in videos of the (US) college's commencement ceremonies. Some concerns:

1. Is it kosher, so to speak, for someone with a master's degree to wear a six-sided, velvet tam instead of a mortar board? (I thought tams were exclusively doctor/Ph. D. headgear.)

2. Said music director appears to be wearing a "Geneva gown" (minister's pulpit gown with velvet panels to each side of the front zipper, no chevrons on sleeves, worn in church without a hood) instead of a master's gown with the funny sleeves. Fair enough, I guess, since he conducts the choir at commencements in regalia (and also serves as a music minister at a nearby church). But, that's not an academic master's robe, he doesn't have a divinity degree (for wearing the Geneva gown), and he ain't in a pulpit. 😀

3. His hood has the expected pink velvet (for music) and lining in his graduate school's colors. But, it is suspiciously large: a doctor's instead of master's hood?

All this smacks of being an incorrect hodgepodge, as well as being slightly dishonest. I wouldn't want him to get into trouble. (I had a college professor for a neighbor who was persnickety about this stuff.) Comments, opinions?

Have you expressed these concerns to your old friend directly??? Of course - you may risk losing the friendship. grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Carey #2556011 07/11/16 07:53 PM
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Carey
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi

Have you expressed these concerns to your old friend directly??? Of course - you may risk losing the friendship. grin

He would politely tell me off!

At least he didn't choose a pink tam, an option over generic black. 😀

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
WhoDwaldi #2556016 07/11/16 08:16 PM
Have you talked to him lately? Perhaps he did get his doctorate after all.

JN
WhoDwaldi #2556055 07/11/16 10:38 PM
You're typically allowed to wear whatever was conferred upon you at graduation. Some colleges, especially those abroad, have different types of regalia.

If your friend went to Generic State University here in the US, then yes, he should probably stick to the typical regalia, but if he has a degree from a specialized conservatory or foreign institution, it may be the correct thing.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
WhoDwaldi #2556146 07/12/16 10:30 AM
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
This comes to mind:

http://tinyurl.com/h6bbsaw

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
WhoDwaldi #2556179 07/12/16 12:05 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Hmmm, interesting question... I got my PhD (not in music) last August and participated in the PhD graduation ceremony this may, where I wore my university's regalia and a tam. In my current job, I'm expected to participate in convocation and two grad ceremonies a year, in regalia. So I've recently learned a bit more about regalia than I ever knew about previously.

Having said that, I didn't read that tams are specifically for PhDs, but that may in fact be the case in America. As Kreisler says, other countries have very different traditions for regalia. During my PhD grad ceremony, because it's a large university with a fairly large contingent of international faculty, there were all kinds of regalia and head gear on display. Fascinating, really.

The other question is whether your friend has an MA (or some variant, like an M.Ed. masters of ed) or an M.F.A (masters of fine arts). An MFA is considered a "terminal degree" which means it's the highest degree in that field. In my field, the doctorate (PhD) is the terminal degree. Academics in music are (from what I know) increasing getting PhDs of one sort or another, but for most (?) of the history of American academia, the MFA was *the* degree in music.

Given that, it may be that the tam is appropriate.

Also, directors of programs who have some kind of master of ceremony role in graduation ceremonies may wear regalia based as much on their roles as on their own academic credentials.

But again, there may be some details I don't know about. Academic regalia is a unique animal!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
WhoDwaldi #2556182 07/12/16 12:09 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
TMI, but just in case:

http://www.gradgowns.us/MHEC-Information-How_To_Wear_Academic_Regalia.html

This site specifies the tam as only for doctoral level.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
WhoDwaldi #2556185 07/12/16 12:14 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
https://geekyartistlibrarian.wordpress.com/2013/04/02/on-academic-regalia/

The exception to this rule are masters that are
terminal degrees, such as the MFA (Master of Fine Arts). These graduates may wear gowns and tams more similar to doctoral grads, since it’s a terminal degree in that field–there is no PhD in Fine Arts.

This site:
http://www.tayarijones.com/pomp-andor-circumstance/
say that for MFAs, it should be a 4-sided tam, not 6-sided.

more here:
http://www.robeshop.com/regalia.htm

Ok, back to work with me. That was fun smile

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
WhoDwaldi #2556260 07/12/16 06:30 PM
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I think it is common for hoods to be "gifted" to higher grads by the school, is it not? The rest of the outfit gets returned after graduation. Then, if somebody ends up on a faculty, they will have to reconstruct an outfit (if they did not purchase it outright for graduation).

I think my friend is wearing his MM hood with his church gown (from being a music minister) and a newly purchased tam.

With my lowly little BM, all I have left is a pink tassel and my Phi Kappa Phi cords (which I draped around a plaster bust of Mozart in my living room). They have had a boring life. 😀

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
WhoDwaldi #2556262 07/12/16 06:38 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
There's no gifting of any part of the regalia at the university where I got my phd - this is a big ten school with over 10,000 students in the various grad programs alone (including various masters, MFAs, doctorates, JDs). You can rent the entire set, or you can purchase. Since I now will wear this regalia 3 times a year in my current job, I purchased. It was expensive. Don't even ask how much!
:P

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
ShiroKuro #2556266 07/12/16 07:01 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
[...] It was expensive. Don't even ask how much!

Really? How much? smile

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
WhoDwaldi #2556276 07/12/16 07:59 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Thhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssss much.

whome

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
ShiroKuro #2556389 07/13/16 08:53 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
There's no gifting of any part of the regalia at the university where I got my phd - this is a big ten school with over 10,000 students in the various grad programs alone (including various masters, MFAs, doctorates, JDs). You can rent the entire set, or you can purchase. Since I now will wear this regalia 3 times a year in my current job, I purchased. It was expensive. Don't even ask how much!

But provided you don't wear it at any other time for your own pleasure, you can write it off as a business expense on your taxes.

Learner
WhoDwaldi #2556390 07/13/16 08:56 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Woah! I had never thought of that!!!

And, um, no, I don't wear it at any other time for my own pleasure. laugh

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hammer Drilling Jig
by BDB - 07/10/20 12:15 AM
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-700 Series
by Almaviva - 07/09/20 09:57 PM
Chicago's "Colour My World"
by MacMorrighan - 07/09/20 09:53 PM
Re-envisioning the Piano Recital: An Audiovisual Alternative
by Tyrone Slothrop - 07/09/20 08:18 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,155
Posts2,978,938
Members97,722
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission