2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 17 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
She done good. But everyone is so darn good. I so want her to get a big win. We'll see. Meanwhile, Daniel Le playing his heart out right now. Delightful Chopin Ballade #4.

SRF
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Oh Lord. People started applauding after the big C major dominant before the coda. Can't they hear that this piece is in f minor?

SRF
T
T
Originally Posted by fnork
Finally, an acknowledgement. I hereby declare that I can die happily.

Hehe, trust me, you can, at least I would if I played to your standards. Medtner and Bartok were my favorites.
Are you hoping to meet up with Hamish Milne and do a little discussion on "the poor man's Rachmaninoff"?

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by toughbo

Are you hoping to meet up with Hamish Milne and do a little discussion on "the poor man's Rachmaninoff"?

Don't forget Demidenko, who has made some excellent Medtner recordings.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A PW member is playing right now!

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Awfully difficult to do Gaspard justice at 12.30 ... Didn't have quite enough time to practice in the morning. I hope good old Maurice has mercy. Meanwhile, I've understood that the videos that are appearing on YouTube are illegal and not authorized by the competition. They might disappear at some point, who knows...

Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by toughbo

Don't forget Demidenko, who has made some excellent Medtner recordings.

Already managed to talk briefly with the latter after the gala concert - hopefully will get a proper chat with both of them sooner or later! Friendly fellows, it seems. A pianist I know in London organized a Medtner symposium earlier this year where I was supposed to go - Hamish was there, as well. If the music world is small, the Medtner world is certainly a lot smaller! In case mr. Gugnin passes to semifinals, there'll be a chance of hearing the Sonata Romantica. Best of luck with claiming that Medtner sonatas are hard to like after hearing that one... :p

Last edited by fnork; 07/10/16 01:28 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
In case mr. Gugnin passes to semifinals, there'll be a chance of hearing the Sonata Romantica. Best of luck with claiming that Medtner sonatas are hard to like after hearing that one... :p

He's just about to play Islamey, which I only just learned is Op. 18. I guess they mention that so as to distinguish the piece from all Balakirev's other Oriental Fantasies. Based on his playing thus far, I would expect that we'll be hearing Gugnin play the Medtner.

SRF
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SiFi
He's just about to play Islamey. . . . Based on his playing thus far, I would expect that we'll be hearing Gugnin play the Medtner.

Not so sure about that last part any more. Islamey was kind of slow, at least until the very end, and not perfect! frown

SRF
B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Great job, fnork! The Bartok was my favorite from your first program - really exciting.

Of the Australians, my feeling is that Neeman is by far the best - it just seems like he's done this more than the others and is capable of juggling the repertoire.

Many in the standard competition crowd (Rashkovsky, Gugnin, Tsarevich, Kudo) are playing at the same level as they did in other events - it's always interesting to see if people are improving or not.

B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Also, I'd like to say that this is REALLY cool:

https://youtu.be/5Ef8fBVTTG4

Having the jury give an opening concert is pretty rare for piano competitions. It really haves them prove their mettle. Wouldn't it be....ahem....interesting if some other international competitions required the same of its jury members? Demidenko was amazing and I'm again rethinking Medtner. smile

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I'm curious as to why the pianos keep getting switched (including in the Gala Concert by the jurors).

For instance, Rachel Kudo played on Fazioli in round 1 and Shigeru Kawai in round 2. Were the switches imposed on them, so that Steinway, Fazioli, Yamaha and Kawai got equal performance time?

If music be the food of love, play on!
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by bennevis
Were the switches imposed on them, so that Steinway, Fazioli, Yamaha and Kawai got equal performance time?

Basically, yes. The idea is that by the end of the semis, semifinalists will have performed on all four pianos - a sort of simulation of the situation we all have to deal with when performing, not really knowing what piano or brand we'll end up playing on. After semis, the chosen finalists will have a chance to select their preferred piano for the concertos. So, apart from the competitive aspect for performers, it is also a bit of a competition for the different manufacturers...

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Brendan
Great job, fnork! The Bartok was my favorite from your first program - really exciting.

Of the Australians, my feeling is that Neeman is by far the best - it just seems like he's done this more than the others and is capable of juggling the repertoire.

Thanks for the comments! I'd be cautious to say too much - especially since I've only managed to hear a few pianists - but out of the Australians, I did hear Jeremy as well, who did extremely well in his Ligeti/Scriabin opening program. Also, few are perhaps aware of it, but another Australian competitor (Peter) was asked to step in just a week ago, due to a last-minute cancellation! Much respect to him for pulling off programs that included Szymanowski's 3rd sonata, Ligeti Etudes etc, on such short notice.

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Also, I'd like to say that this is REALLY cool:

https://youtu.be/5Ef8fBVTTG4

Having the jury give an opening concert is pretty rare for piano competitions. It really haves them prove their mettle. Wouldn't it be....ahem....interesting if some other international competitions required the same of its jury members? Demidenko was amazing and I'm again rethinking Medtner. smile

It should certainly be done more often! Unfortunately I have also witnessed some...ahem...interesting performances on such occasions. Jurors totally forgetting the score, or performing reasonably easy pieces with score and STILL getting lost, etc. Anyway, one of the nice aspects of this competition is that many jurors are primarily known as performers, rather than either teachers or jurors. Piers has done great things in re-shaping the competition.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the comments! I'd be cautious to say too much - especially since I've only managed to hear a few pianists - but out of the Australians, I did hear Jeremy as well, who did extremely well in his Ligeti/Scriabin opening program. Also, few are perhaps aware of it, but another Australian competitor (Peter) was asked to step in just a week ago, due to a last-minute cancellation! Much respect to him for pulling off programs that included Szymanowski's 3rd sonata, Ligeti Etudes etc, on such short notice.

Love your playing and your commitment, fnork. I was bowled over by the Bartok in the first recital. Then a beautiful, clean, unsentimental reading of the Berceuse in #2. Very nice tempo control in Ondine, which you hardly ever see (most people rush the easier bits) and lovely cascades of color. I love the way you refuse to rush, as was further evident in your performance of Gibet; in fact, this was the most haunting version of that movement I've ever heard. I felt that there was a minor struggle going on between you and the piano in Scarbo, though that may have just been my imagination. Anyway, very fast, very exciting, and beautifully executed ending. Bravo mate!

Did you by any chance happen to see/hear my friend Lindsay's Bartok Sonata? I thought it was glorious! Almost as good as your etudes. smile

SRF
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The semi-finalists are just about to be announced.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
The semi-finalists are just about to be announced.

frown

SRF
B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Congrats on making it this far, Martin! It's no small feat to make even the first cut for these things nowadays.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congrats on making it this far, Martin! It's no small feat to make even the first cut for these things nowadays.

+1

SRF
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SiFi

+1

Yes, and the Chairman called him "the one and only" for a reason!

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission