2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, 4 invisible), 1,281 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
login Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hi, I am looking for a book that teaches some harmony theory and at the same time provides some excercises to practice chords and its inversions.

I was looking at this ones:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1...ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0...ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

https://www.amazon.com/Piano-Chords-Progressions-Backdoor-Exciting/dp/0912732687/ref=pd_sim_14_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=51lBZyiMPiL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR107%2C160_&refRID=0VFECPQ32YB0ARBNS92E

https://www.amazon.com/Brown-Scale-...03&sr=1-35&keywords=piano+chords

https://www.amazon.com/Harmonic-Fou...&keywords=piano+learn+jazz&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Chord-H...r=8-5&keywords=piano+chord+exercises

https://www.amazon.com/Piano-Advent...r=8-7&keywords=piano+chord+exercises

https://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Piano-C...=8-35&keywords=piano+chord+exercises

I already have:

Improvisation at the Piano: A Systematic Approach for the Classically Trained Pianist, I can make the first lessons but the rest is above my level

I am also planing to buy he "Piano Handbook: A Complete Guide for Mastering Piano" to improve my skills soon. Maybe that would be enough?

Sorry for the large list but I don't seem to find what I am looking for.

Thanks a lot for any tip.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The book you listed by Duane Shinn is pretty straight forward, despite the sensational title (Secret Backdoor To Exciting Piano Playing). It clearly covers how to construct chords starting from The Majors and minors and working up from there. So no need for a chord dictionary. He's also got some YouTube videos that match the material. It was a good introduction to constructing chords.

If you're looking for practical introductory workbooks that work their way up through the different chords, I'm really liking the Chord Play and Pattern Play series by Forrest Kinney. My niece and nephew have several of these books and they are really fun to use. One series focuses on improvisation the other on arranging & playing by ear (my favorite).

A next step up could be the Tim Richard books: Improvising Blues Piano, Exploring Jazz Piano 1 & 2 and Exploring Latin Piano. The Blues and Jazz books also work their up through the chords (triads, to 7ths and onwards). A lot of my daily chord/arpeggio practice comes out of the Exploring Jazz Piano books.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
L
login Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Groove On

A next step up could be the Tim Richard books: Improvising Blues Piano, Exploring Jazz Piano 1 & 2 and Exploring Latin Piano. The Blues and Jazz books also work their up through the chords (triads, to 7ths and onwards). A lot of my daily chord/arpeggio practice comes out of the Exploring Jazz Piano books.

Those ones seem more interesting. Which is more easy to follow? Improvising Blues Piano or Exploring Jazz 1?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Improvising Blues Piano is more approachable. It sticks with and builds off the Major chord structures for most of the book and only introduces minor and diminished chords at the end. The Exploring Jazz Piano books starts off with Major triads in all inversions / all keys + arpeggios - round he circle of fifths. The 2nd chapter revisits all that using minor triads. By the third chapter the book really starts to get cooking yippie

We are the music makers,
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
"How To Write Songs On The Keyboard." Ricky Rooksby

From the Amazon Blurb:

"This book helps both keyboard and guitar players to find and develop interesting chords and chord sequences on a keyboard, and then use them to write their own songs. Rather than trying to teach intricate pieces of music, the book breaks things down into a simpler style and concentrates on basic chords and ideas, starting with a simple three-chord song and gradually adding more complex structures. A visual system that virtually eliminates the use of standard music notation allows guitarists who are used to using guitar tablature to feel totally at home. Songwriting issues are also analyzed, including key changes and writing songs in minor keys. The straightforward style of this book will have musicians writing on a keyboard with ease even if they never have before. All 90 examples are recorded and accessed online for download or streaming. "

I've looked through this book several times at Barnes and Noble and it seems to be very clear and very well laid out. It starts with basics: first inversion triads in a I IV V and moves through inversions, voice leading, open/shell voicings, the common chord substitutions, Sus chords and other chord extensions. There are no pieces per se but the book is filled with playing exercises to get your hands finding chords and the sound of the progressions in your ear.. If the goal is improvising there are probably better books. If the goal is getting a handle on how and where you can sub a I chord with a minor vi or why a progression doesn't have to start on the I chord. This might be a good one to have.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
L
login Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by KurtZ
"How To Write Songs On The Keyboard." Ricky Rooksby

From the Amazon Blurb:

"This book helps both keyboard and guitar players to find and develop interesting chords and chord sequences on a keyboard, and then use them to write their own songs. Rather than trying to teach intricate pieces of music, the book breaks things down into a simpler style and concentrates on basic chords and ideas, starting with a simple three-chord song and gradually adding more complex structures. A visual system that virtually eliminates the use of standard music notation allows guitarists who are used to using guitar tablature to feel totally at home. Songwriting issues are also analyzed, including key changes and writing songs in minor keys. The straightforward style of this book will have musicians writing on a keyboard with ease even if they never have before. All 90 examples are recorded and accessed online for download or streaming. "

I've looked through this book several times at Barnes and Noble and it seems to be very clear and very well laid out. It starts with basics: first inversion triads in a I IV V and moves through inversions, voice leading, open/shell voicings, the common chord substitutions, Sus chords and other chord extensions. There are no pieces per se but the book is filled with playing exercises to get your hands finding chords and the sound of the progressions in your ear.. If the goal is improvising there are probably better books. If the goal is getting a handle on how and where you can sub a I chord with a minor vi or why a progression doesn't have to start on the I chord. This might be a good one to have.

Kurt

Seems interesting, nevertheless I am also looking to keep reading musical notation to improve it and recognize chords more easily.

I will save it for a later day nevertheless when I am ready for composing.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If you have an iPad, you might check out the "Note Trainer - Sight Read Music" app by Thoor Software. It drills you on notes, triads, 6ths, 7ths and dim chords in all inversions (by key). Nice way to work on the eye to hand connection.

We are the music makers,

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission