2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 4 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 26 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 25 26
J Soo #2549594 06/15/16 05:12 AM
L
Lam Offline
L
Originally Posted by J Soo
Looks like it would be easy enough to remove the pedals from the KPD-70 "stick" (actually an elongated three-sided box); it's held in place with several screws. You'd then need to add a couple more rubber feet (it has two in the back but none in the front). How the unit looks when removed from the stick I don't know (I'm not going to take mine apart; the stick is particle board, like the rest of the case, and isn't likely to hold up to repeated assembly and disassembly).

Thank you so much idol K Soo, your post made me purchase the FP30 just now smile should arrive next week. Its all sold out here in Australia NSW so i had to order from melbourne and even then...quite a hot model and dealers demanding premium pricing. Cheers friend

Originally Posted by mcoll
About the pricing of the f140r - see alternatives in that price range and what they offer. I think it's one of the best options for its price, and it's more than just an fp30 with a case. Even so, the fp30 is very hard to pass for that price, comsidering you do get the same action and main sounds.
II think it depends largely what are your criteria when buying the instrument, wouldn't you say?

Yup, I plan to use it as a midi controller for piano VST samples since it has such a great action (with escapement) and continuous pedal (which Casio PX doesn't). I love the clean look of it, similar to the Kawai VPC1.

I would like to have it on my computer desk though so sadly I did not want it on a stand or cabinet, I've ordered the KDP-70 pedal just now and I plan to take it apart and perhaps make mods to it if it happens to fall over or slip during practice time.

Last edited by lamadoo; 06/15/16 05:16 AM.
I'll be interested to find out what you do with the pedal unit. When I bought the FP-30 I was thinking of getting a more portable stand for it, but because of the lack of options for pedals I ended up buying the Roland stand and pedal unit. I've taken it on the road and it's manageable, but awkward loading in and out (and I worry about stressing the stand while doing so).

I left the piano for a while, but it never left me
L
Lam Offline
L
Yup, i'll get back to you next week when it arrives smile

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Has anyone used this Fp-30 to gig other places then home? Is the weight manageable?
And how does the key action compare to the more expensive models? I used to own a Rd 300 something I think it was...
Would the roland RD-64 be a better choice if Im looking for something portable?
If these questions are answered in this thread I apologise, I didn't have time to go through the whole thread.
Thanks in advance, cheers.

Lam #2549748 06/15/16 08:19 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by lamadoo
Yup, I plan to use it as a midi controller for piano VST samples since it has such a great action (with escapement) and continuous pedal (which Casio PX doesn't).

I believe the FP-30 ships with an on/off switch pedal, not the DP-10 which does allow half-pedalling. However, this is obviously a moot point if you're planning to use/disassemble the KDP-70 triple pedal bar, which I assume does support half-pedalling.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Originally Posted by KlinkKlonk
Is the weight manageable? And how does the key action compare to the more expensive models? I used to own a Rd 300 something I think it was...
Would the roland RD-64 be a better choice if Im looking for something portable?

According to the Roland website, the FP-30 weighs 14.1 kg, while the RD-64 weighs 12.8 kg. So the RD-64 is a little lighter, while also being shorter and (presumably) a little more manageable.

The FP-30 utilises the 'PHA-4 Standard' keyboard action, which I believe is superior to the Ivory Feel-G found in the RD-64 and RD-300(NX).

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
S
Thanks to (In spite of?) the information in this thread and others, I bought an FP-30 yesterday with the stand and pedal kit. I've been learning with a cheap midi controller for the past couple of months, but was ready for something more substantial now that I know I'm going to stick with it.

I had been looking at the Yamaha P-115 and DGX-660 a couple of months ago, and compared them to the Roland F-20 (FP-30 not in stock at the time). At the time, I wasn't impressed with the F-20's action and thought the Yamahas were fine. But I tried them again yesterday and didn't really care for them at all, especially after trying the FP-30. It's going to take me a bit of time to get adjusted to the weighted action rather than mushy springs, but I'm glad I made the choice I did.

Sorry I can't offer more useful insight; too new at this!

R
R
I was going to order a fp-30, when I heard about the missing line out's. Headphones means lo-impedance , so howdo I solve this? By connecting it to a low impedance on my mixer, like xlr?

I also seen a high to low impedance converter passive.

How is this even possible to not have line outs?

rolfie #2552728 06/28/16 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by rolfie
I was going to order a fp-30, when I heard about the missing line out's. Headphones means lo-impedance , so howdo I solve this? By connecting it to a low impedance on my mixer, like xlr?

I also seen a high to low impedance converter passive.

How is this even possible to not have line outs?

If you want lineouts you will have to consider more expensive models. . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
peterws #2552736 06/28/16 05:01 PM
R
R
I am an engineer so I may fit lineouts, those other models are too heavy for my taste or too short ...

I saw the F-20 , it got a line out, but with a tiny jack.
These pianos are not made for stage I see that.

it is like Roland almost forces me to choose Yamaha like p115, both light, same price and proper outputs

Last edited by rolfie; 06/28/16 05:16 PM.
L
Lam Offline
L
I ended up buying it with the stand and pedal as it was on sale so I never tried taking off the pedals yet smile

S
S
The headphone jack is a perfectly usable line out. It is high quality (very low distortion and high SNR), and about 1500mV on full volume. It will happily run straight into any mixing desk.

Use a right angled jack plug and you won't even know it's there.

It's a better line out than it is a headphone output to be honest.

S
S
Saweeeeet! Just got this email from Roland and they have updated the firmware to allow using the headphone out as a line out and still have the speakers on!!!!

Hi Jason,

Good news - after submitting your suggestion to our piano product manager, we were informed that this feature actually already HAS been included in the update!

Once you've updated your piano (using the same link we included in the previous email), use the following instructions to implement the feature of keeping the speakers turned on while the headphone jack is being used as a line out:

Press and hold the FUNCTION button, and the highest F# key note.

To turn that back to normal ... press FUNCTION and the highest F.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thank you!

Kind regards,

Product Support
Roland US

"Make a joyful noise unto the Lord"

Roland FP30
shalomjj #2553199 06/30/16 03:06 PM
P
P
Yes!! Great news!!

I just tried it out.

Thanks Shalomjj for sharing!!

Thanks Roland for hear us wink

Pablo

Pablo Woiz
Yamaha G2, Roland Fp-30 //before: Technics p-30, Casio Privia px-100, Yamaha MX-49, M.Audio Axiom-61, Yamaha CP-80, Roland f-20, Upright Zimmermann.
www.pablowoiz.com
shalomjj #2553247 06/30/16 05:36 PM
R
R
Originally Posted by shalomjj
Saweeeeet! Just got this email from Roland and they have updated the firmware to allow using the headphone out as a line out and still have the speakers on!!!!

Is it already on the Roland website?

Kawai VPC1 | Arturia Minilab Mk2
Pianoteq 6 Pro | Synthogy Ivory II | Arturia Analog Lab Lite | Korg Collection
Roland Quad Capture | Neumann KH120 | Grado SR225i
cornet Olds Ambassador, Hohner harmonicas and melodicas
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Industry Consultant
R
R
Thank you Jay smile

R
R
I already updated a new operation system - version 1.02.

Now I can turn on speakers while using the headphones but, to be honest - for what? Doesn't matter bacause the most important thing for me was line out possibilities.

I connected two 6.35 cables to FP30 and to the recorder Zoom H4n and finally on the headphones sound was not a stereo and sound was distored (gain was very low). This same was on speakers Roland CM110 (using line out and instrumantal ports), sound was crapy. Using one stereo cable to the speakers - sound was stereo and clear.

Someone know or presume why my line out connections working like that?

Last edited by rychubil; 07/01/16 10:28 AM.

Originally Posted by rychubil
I connected two 6.35 cables to FP30 and to the recorder Zoom H4n and finally on the headphones sound was not a stereo and sound was distored (gain was very low). ..

The outputs are identical and in stereo. If you connect to both or use a mono jack you get a mono sum the piano is not designed for. The outputs are primary for two pair of headphones but can be used as stereo outputs also.

Therefore you need stereo jack to 2 x XLR (or stereo jack to 2 x mono jack), connected to ONE output, to get stereo sound. smile

Yamaha Arius piano and Scarlet 2i2 sound issues

Peace

R
R
Originally Posted by Rille Stark
Therefore you need stereo jack to 2 x XLR (or stereo jack to 2 x mono jack), connected to ONE output, to get stereo sound. smile

Yes, I agree. Usually I use that connection:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281749071769?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=580752716557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and Balanced In-Line XLR Attenuator -20dB, bacause signal from the FP30 is too high. Low gain didn't resolve it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XLR-IN-LINE-BALANCED-ATTENUATOR-ADAPTER-VOLUME-15dB-/310337651663?hash=item484190c3cf:g:IeIAAOSw0vBUkGVR

Unfortunately still I hear some artefacts like a noise on my recordings.
So - it's a budget piano, no stage or studio staff. I was a bit naive to believe that this update will be contained typical line out option.
Any way FP30 is fantastic for everyday exercising.

Last edited by rychubil; 07/01/16 02:06 PM.

Page 19 of 26 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission