2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,218 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
lsal1 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hello all! I currently use a Yamaha P-155 that I've had for years, and used for church that I attend for their youth group as well as traveling worship nights/services and as I am currently going to college I was thinking of upgrading my keyboard, as I've found that the sounds on that piano aren't adequate enough for my needs in a modern worship setting (though I love the grand piano sound), as I believe I'll soon be doing more worship stuff and traveling for things. My goal is to one day have a setup with a bunch of vintage organs, and electric pianos, as well as a good stage piano and a midi controller. But today, I'm focused on a good stage piano that has good GP sounds and good EP sounds (Rhodes?) as well as synths, pads, and strings, and obviously doesn't break the bank and has good touch.

I've looked at a few stage pianos, here they are:

Yamaha CP300
Korg SV1
Kawai MP6
Kawai MP8 (Found a used one for $670)
Casio PX-5S (Found a used one for $800)
Roland FP-7F (Used $805)

I really like the Yamaha CP300, the only thing is, I know the Casio has more sounds that I might use, as well as the Casio does have the individual knobs I can assign. The Korg has the vintage feel/look as well as the onboard effects. I don't know enough about the Kawai (I love Kawai AP though, so maybe that translates into their DP as well) or the Roland. Depending on which one I choose would let me know whether or not I can buy new or used. I have about $950 cash to spend (like i said, I just graduated high school) and I would be selling my P-155 (I'll miss it so much though) so maybe a total of around $1450 if I am lucky.

Also I have tried using MIDI and DAWS (Like MainStage and Ableton) but I found their sounds to be lacking (I've never purchased third party sounds and imported them, just used the ones that came with the software) as well as they have a lot of lag when playing live, and it is just too much for me to have to worry about (unless I find software that works, I have a Macbook Pro Retina 2013 so the computer isn't the issue)

Anyone have any input on which one to choose/price/differences between each one? Whichever one I choose I will be taking to college with me as well!
Thank you so much in advance!

Last edited by lsal1; 06/28/16 05:47 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
lsal1, welcome to the forum.

Given the emphasis on travelling, I would suggest that portability is a factor. If so, I would perhaps rule-out the heavier CP300 and MP8 (great boards that they are). The SV1 has some excellent vintage EP sounds, but its acoustic pianos are seemingly less popular. The MP6 is a very capable board with lots of sounds, a good action, and strong MIDI/controller functionality. The FP-7F is also a decent board, but may not offer too much more than your existing P155. This leaves the PX-5S - very lightweight, versatile board, good action, reasonably good sounds (but lots of user-created content)...that would probably be my pick of the bunch.

Another one worth considering might be the RD-300NX, if available second hand. There is also the Kawai MP7, however this will likely exceed your budget, unless you will be able to source a second hand board.

I was a little surprised to read that you found the sounds of MainStage and Ableton to be inferior to be lacing (inferior to those built into your P155?). Latency can be an issue, but is usually associated with Windows PCs than Macs, and your 2013 Macbook should be able to handle this kind of thing pretty well.

Another option perhaps worth considering is to stick with the P155 and use an iPad running some of the better iOS apps (Korg Module, Galileo Organ, Neo-Soul Keys, etc.) to augment the sounds you find to be lacking. It's less 'clean' than an all-in-one instrument, but can work well.

Best of luck!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
FWIW:

When I was looking at DP's, a few years ago (I ended up with my PX-350), I test-played an FP-7F:

. . . Its action and sound were both _very_ impressive.

If I'd been able to buy one for $800, I'd have been very happy. I didn't listen to the EP and organ sounds, just the piano.

I think the CP-300 is quite old, now; you can probably do better.

I haven't played on (or with) a PX5s. Its action is the same as my PX-350, and (IMHO) about on par with the P155. But the sounds are much more tailorable, and you have a full-scale synth engine to play with, and an adjustable drawbar-organ simulator.

KJ wrote:
Another option perhaps worth considering is to stick with the P155 and use an iPad running some of the better iOS apps (Korg Module, Galileo Organ, Neo-Soul Keys, etc.) to augment the sounds you find to be lacking. It's less 'clean' than an all-in-one instrument, but can work well.

This is a good idea. Download a trial (free) version of Pianoteq (some notes don't work, and I like the Bluthner model, at extra cost), and a trial (one month, I think) of Lounge Lizard (for Rhodes / Wurli sounds), and one of the Hammond simulations ("Galileo" is cheap, and tonewheel simulations should be near-perfect).

The P155 is a nice DP. Keep the action, and replace the sound generator with upgradeable software.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
L
lsal1 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Kawai James

Given the emphasis on travelling, I would suggest that portability is a factor. If so, I would perhaps rule-out the heavier CP300 and MP8 (great boards that they are). The SV1 has some excellent vintage EP sounds, but its acoustic pianos are seemingly less popular. The MP6 is a very capable board with lots of sounds, a good action, and strong MIDI/controller functionality. The FP-7F is also a decent board, but may not offer too much more than your existing P155. This leaves the PX-5S - very lightweight, versatile board, good action, reasonably good sounds (but lots of user-created content)...that would probably be my pick of the bunch.

Another one worth considering might be the RD-300NX, if available second hand. There is also the Kawai MP7, however this will likely exceed your budget, unless you will be able to source a second hand board.

Weight isn't necessarily an issue for me (I'm used to lifting heavy objects) so the CP300 and MP8 are still on my radar. I've never liked Korg's AP sounds as much as their EP sounds so that might be a deal breaker for the SV1. The problem with the MP6 is finding one haha! I love Kawai! I looked up the RD-300NX, the one concern is that I have played the RD-800 and didn't seem to like the action or the AP sounds (AT ALL). That may be my preference, I like a booming, punchy, but full AP sound from a Yamaha Grand or Kawai. How does the PX-5S hold up? In comparison to the CP300 and the rest of them?

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by lsal1
Hello all! I currently use a Yamaha P-155 that I've had for years, and used for church that I attend for their youth group as well as traveling worship nights/services and as I am currently going to college I was thinking of upgrading my keyboard, as I've found that the sounds on that piano aren't adequate enough for my needs in a modern worship setting (though I love the grand piano sound), as I believe I'll soon be doing more worship stuff and traveling for things. My goal is to one day have a setup with a bunch of vintage organs, and electric pianos, as well as a good stage piano and a midi controller. But today, I'm focused on a good stage piano that has good GP sounds and good EP sounds (Rhodes?) as well as synths, pads, and strings, and obviously doesn't break the bank and has good touch.

Yamaha CP300
Korg SV1
Kawai MP6
Roland FP-7F (Used $805)

I really like the Yamaha CP300, the only thing is, I know the Casio has more sounds that I might use, as well as the Casio does have the individual knobs I can assign. The Korg has the vintage feel/look as well as the onboard effects. I don't know enough about the Kawai (I love Kawai AP though, so maybe that translates into their DP as well) or the Roland. Depending on which one I choose would let me know whether or not I can buy new or used. I have about $950 cash to spend (like i said, I just graduated high school) and I would be selling my P-155 (I'll miss it so much though) so maybe a total of around $1450 if I am lucky.

Also I have tried using MIDI and DAWS (Like MainStage and Ableton) but I found their sounds to be lacking (I've never purchased third party sounds and imported them, just used the ones that came with the software) as well as they have a lot of lag when playing live, and it is just too much for me to have to worry about (unless I find software that works, I have a Macbook Pro Retina 2013 so the computer isn't the issue)

Anyone have any input on which one to choose/price/differences between each one? Whichever one I choose I will be taking to college with me as well!

If you can get a second hand Kurzweil Artis, they have some mega organ sounds (best in any of the stage piano's I've heard). The artis has a good piano sample (comparable to the Kawai/Roland/Yamaha), and the EP's are impressive. Only issue with the Artis is it comes with a Fatar action which isn't as good as the RD800 action. The Kurzweil Artis SE (lighter board, less sounds) can be brought new for $1,315.60 on ebay.

More up-to date than the PX-5S is the Casio Privia Pro PX 560 or PX360: can get bundles for the 560 for $1335.

If you were going to go for the SV-1 plus VST, that would mean that you have no issue with the Fatar action in the Artis, hence, I'd take that instead. The Artis won't breakdown: the SV-1 has had it's build quality issues.

The MP6/8 and CP300 are old boards with lower sound quality and older actions; however, if you will use a VST, the action is the only issue. Really, the PX-5S is a synth/stage piano cross. You can get hex layers in the 560/360, and they also support half-pedaling, whereas the PX-5S doesn't.

If all you want is great action, AP's, EP's, and Organs, you could go for the Kawai VPC1 with Pianoteq (AP's/EP's) or Ivory II for AP's plus Lounge Lizard, Scarbee, Acousticsamples Mark79, and Neo-Soul Keys etc. for EP's... plus something like VB3 The Ultimate Virtual Tonewheel Organ for your organ sounds.

If you don't mind only 73 keys, you could get the Korg KRONOS X 73-Key (one one ebay second hand for $1,125.00).

The Kawai MP7 is within your $1400 range, but you still have to get speakers to gig with. As you didn't like the RD800, I rather think you might prefer the Kawai's with VST support for modeled sounds.

Last edited by Doug M.; 06/29/16 09:45 AM.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Hi Isal1, if you tried the roland RD800 and the key action is not for you at all, then I could suggest to you than try the Kawai MP7; because IMHO, has a better key action... the sound is not really a priority for me, because for that concern i could find the VST that best suits for my situation at the time, but the key action remain unchanged. My suggestion is then, look for the best key action that you can afford... and for me Kawai the RHII/III plastic actions are Unbeatable for the price!. Regards!.

Yamaha CP300
Korg SV1
Kawai MP6
Roland FP-7F (Used $805)

Now, who is it you worship? Might be an idea to find out his requirements concerning this. Your elders or fellows should be able to point the way ahead. . .you really don't need to ask us, although some of us have played or are playing still, for worship. I would have to keep it simple and foolproof. You don't want stuff breaking down.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
L
lsal1 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
In reply to peterws:

Not a man if thats what you're asking! I worship the one true living Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Last edited by lsal1; 06/29/16 03:16 PM.
L
lsal1 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I went into my local music store, and tried one of the Casio's (didn't get a product number) and I was surprised by the feel (although a little weak) and the tones of the piano and the options. I also was surprised by the sound and feel of the DGX-660, but it doesn't have the editing options I prefer (unless its hidden in menus). If I were to get either of those I could keep my P-155 and have a double stage piano setup which might be interesting...I also would prefer to have a good upright piano sample option as well if possible. Thank you all for the help so far!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Maybe Peterws was suggesting you'd seek the Lord in this matter, and ask Him to help you decide? Well, why not? Cast all your cares upon Him, for He cares for you. - 1. Peter 5:7.

Still, I think the advice given so far, are all good options, the Kawai MP7, Casio PX5S/PX560, RD800, and all the other ones, not necessarily in that order. Pairing the P155 with an iPad + apps, sounds very interesting.

The good Lord might point you to one of these options, or something not mentioned so far! Good luck in your search.

Last edited by TheodorN; 06/29/16 04:10 PM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I asked the good Lord for last night's lottery numbers, yet here I am, still waiting for an answer. Of course, if he did get back to me today, he'd be off by one day. No one gets paid for yesterday's numbers.
I'd recommend reaching out to an angel regarding earthly matters; the good Lord is simply too busy. If it's an emergency, call 911!

L
lsal1 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
The Kawai MP6/MP7 have both caught my eye and both seem to seem like exactly what I'm looking for...I found a good condition (near mint) MP6 for a little over $1000, and a mint condition MP7 a little over $1400, I honestly like the the MP7 better, but now its seeming to be a little out of my price range, despite my original statement. AHH how I wish I could get the MP7! Anyone know someone who is selling theirs? Thank you all so much for the comments so far!

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
The Kawai MP6/MP7 have both caught my eye and both seem to seem like exactly what I'm looking for...I found a good condition (near mint) MP6 for a little over $1000, and a mint condition MP7 a little over $1400, I honestly like the the MP7 better, but now its seeming to be a little out of my price range, despite my original statement. AHH how I wish I could get the MP7! Anyone know someone who is selling theirs? Thank you all so much for the comments so far!

Worth saving up the extra me thinks, even if it takes a few months of evening work to afford...

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
In reply to peterws:

Not a man if thats what you're asking! I worship the one true living Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Apologies friend. Just thought that Jesus would be the first (and last) port of call. . .I should shut up more often. .. .!

"[Linked Image]"
L
lsal1 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Doug M.

Worth saving up the extra me thinks, even if it takes a few months of evening work to afford...

Well the problem is, I go off to college in about a month, and my college is located in a small town (with hardly any jobs as it is) and I doubt someone would want to hire someone to work for a month...but ya never know. I work at my local church and do other odd jobs (mow lawns regularly for example), and by the time I get to college I would be doing live stuff and would need the upgraded hardware then.

Originally Posted by Pete14
I asked the good Lord for last night's lottery numbers, yet here I am, still waiting for an answer. Of course, if he did get back to me today, he'd be off by one day. No one gets paid for yesterday's numbers.
I'd recommend reaching out to an angel regarding earthly matters; the good Lord is simply too busy. If it's an emergency, call 911!

The Lord asked me once, returning home from a house church meeting "What is it you want out of this life?"
Being caught off guard, I could only think "Another car, please" because the one I drove had pretty much had it.
Few days later, I crashed it. . .. eek True.

Last edited by peterws; 06/30/16 12:08 PM.

"[Linked Image]"
L
lsal1 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by peterws
In reply to peterws:

Apologies friend. Just thought that Jesus would be the first (and last) port of call. . .I should shut up more often. .. .!

No sir you're all good! Glad we're on the same page!

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Don't think this has been covered so I'll ask...what amp/speakers do you use? Do you use the P155's onboard speakers and, if so, are they sufficient for your needs?

It needs consideration because all the others you're talking about will need external amplification, even for lowish level monitoring.

I'm surprised you find the P155's sounds inadequate for 'modern worship' but of course everyone's needs are unique to them. Modern worship to me implies every person present clapping, signing and banging tambourines and the like and so I can't imagine the nuance of the onboard sounds matters to your audience anywhere near as much as you might imagine.

The Yamaha CP300 features similar grand piano sounds to your P155 but there's a lot more alternative sounds. And it might be worth bearing in mind that the onboard speakers on the CP300 are epically good. Great for on-stage monitoring but also probably enough to fill a decent sized room without additional amplification. The action is the same as P155's I think (Yamaha GH action). The CP300 is a beast to haul around but is the only stage piano to this day that has really good onboard speakers. I often think for certain specific requirements it's still the best of its kind.

Good luck in your search for the right piano.

Steve

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I agree on the CP300. It was released 10 years ago, and still Yamaha has not discontinued it. The CP300 surpasses many of today's slab keyboards with on-board speakers; that's why it's so expensive.
For example, the newish ES8 uses a 15 watt -per channel- amp; the CP300 boasts 30 watts per channel, and I believe, bigger speakers. Yamaha went all in/out on this instrument. The P255 doesn't even come close despite its newer samples and synthetic ivory keys.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Kawai MP7, the best miles ahead...!. Cheers!.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission