Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
67 registered members (cathryn999, Beowulf, Beemer, Balezin Dmitry, amad23, clothearednincompo, Alex C, Agent88, 19 invisible), 1,422 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Need help recording audio from a Roland FP-30 #2551627
06/23/16 07:38 PM
06/23/16 07:38 PM
K
Keyes Offline OP
Keyes  Offline OP
K

Hi! I've been trying to figure out how to go about recording audio from the Roland FP-30, but I'm quite new to working with audio interfaces and such. What I have so far is the Roland FP-30 of course, SONAR DAW Software and a male to male audio cable.

I'm trying to figure out what I need to get it to record clearly and loudly, as when I attempted to go straight from the audio jack from the FP-30 to my PC, the the audio that was recorded was very, very quiet. I was told I should I get some sort of pre amplifier/audio interface, but I'm not sure which to get!

My Budget would be about 120-150€. Two options I see now is th PreSonus AudioBox USB and the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Would this be suitable for the Roland FP-30? And what other cables would I need to buy? Thanks, I apologise in advance for my lack of knowledge in regards to this.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Need help recording audio from a Roland FP-30 [Re: Keyes] #2551643
06/23/16 08:29 PM
06/23/16 08:29 PM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
a) There's no shame in ignorance.

b) You _don't_ need a preamplifier. The headphone output of the FP-30 is more-or-less at "line level".

c) You _do_ need to know:

. . . Is your PC capable of stereo recording from its own "Line In" jack(s) ?

. . . What user interface (e.g., the "Windows Mixer") controls the gain of the _input_ ("Mic" and 'Line In") audio jacks?

If you want to record in stereo, and your PC soundcard doesn't have a stereo "Line In" jack, you'll need either:

1. A "USB audio interface", which is a fancy name for a fancy soundcard -- something that converts the analog audio voltages at the FP-30 headphone jack, to digital signals inside the PC. (This is also called an "ADC" - analog-to-digital converter -- just to keep things complicated).

or:

2. A small "digital audio recorder", with a _stereo_ "Line In" jack (or two "Line in" jacks). [the Tascam DR-05 will work -- its manual is explicit about accepting stereo "Line In" plugs].

If you get a digital audio recorder, you can record with it, and then transfer the recorded files to your computer for editing.

You'll find lots of threads on this topic, both here, and some in the "Adult Beginners" forum.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: Need help recording audio from a Roland FP-30 [Re: Charles Cohen] #2551652
06/23/16 09:11 PM
06/23/16 09:11 PM
K
Keyes Offline OP
Keyes  Offline OP
K

My soundcard is a Sound Blaster Audigy SE and it has a Line in. My motherboard (Which is using RealTek) has a Line in as well As for the user interface, would you be able to elaborate a bit more on that?

Which would you think would provide better quality - a Digital Audio Recorder or a USB Audio Interface? I believe the products I listed above are audio interfaces, please correct me if I'm wrong! Thanks for the replies.

Re: Need help recording audio from a Roland FP-30 [Re: Keyes] #2551653
06/23/16 09:24 PM
06/23/16 09:24 PM
Middle of nowhere, Australia
AndrewJCW Offline
500 Post Club Member
AndrewJCW  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Middle of nowhere, Australia
A digital recorder is essentially an audio interface with a mic built in and batteries. It's probably not a very cost effective solution for recording a keyboard seeing as you don't need a mic or batteries to do that.

Your line in should do a passable recording of your keyboard. Keep in mind line in is different to a mic input. If in doubt try each input and see which one works best. You do have your volume maxed on your keyboard and gain set in SONAR right? You could also try recording in audacity which has a much simpler interface if you think the issue might just not be using SONAR right.

That said a interface would be a good pick up if you want to do a lot of recording. It should give you a higher quality recording, phantom power (so you can run condenser mics) and the ability to record two tracks at once (such as vocals and piano simultaneously). I have an audiobox and I think it works fine, from what I've read online the Focusrite has a bit better reputation generally speaking but the biggest difference is probably the colour of the unit.

(ad) SWEETWATER
Easy Monthly Payments on Keyboards and Synthesizers
Re: Need help recording audio from a Roland FP-30 [Re: AndrewJCW] #2551660
06/23/16 11:09 PM
06/23/16 11:09 PM
K
Keyes Offline OP
Keyes  Offline OP
K

I had tried using audacity but once again, the recording came out very quiet. I will try again tommorrow, but would the Focusrite be the right thing to pick up?

Re: Need help recording audio from a Roland FP-30 [Re: Keyes] #2551687
06/24/16 01:52 AM
06/24/16 01:52 AM
T
Thomas B Offline
Thomas B  Offline
T

Hi Keyes,

if you can not get it to work with your current gear which should be capable of producing a decent recording it won't make it easier with more gear. I would not recommend buying the Focusrite interface.

You need to adjust the levels on both the computer and the FP-30.

Best regards,
Thomas

Re: Need help recording audio from a Roland FP-30 [Re: Keyes] #2551715
06/24/16 06:08 AM
06/24/16 06:08 AM
L
Lester Burnham Offline
500 Post Club Member
Lester Burnham  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

Originally Posted by Keyes
I had tried using audacity but once again, the recording came out very quiet. I will try again tommorrow, but would the Focusrite be the right thing to pick up?

If you are sure you need an external / USB audio interface, I'd also consider the Steinberg UR22.

Personally, I was unhappy with the Presonus Audiobox (USB), I still have it, but also have a Steinberg UR22. I've not used the Focusrite interface, though.

Re: Need help recording audio from a Roland FP-30 [Re: Keyes] #2551717
06/24/16 06:36 AM
06/24/16 06:36 AM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.

With Audacity you have to normalise the sound. Like, amplify it just short of distortion. Everything comes out quiet if you don't do this.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Need help recording audio from a Roland FP-30 [Re: Keyes] #2551741
06/24/16 08:52 AM
06/24/16 08:52 AM
B
barbaram Offline

1000 Post Club Member
barbaram  Offline

1000 Post Club Member
B

I could not get good recording quality when I used a line out to line in connection from my (old, old) Roland fp5 to Audacity on the computer.

I got this pretty inexpensive cable/adapter and it's been smooth sailing ever since:

Alesis LineLink Stereo 1/4" Jack USB Recording Cable
http://www.alesis.com/products/legacy/linelink

I should definitely spend a bit of time tweaking Audacity settings and I think I could improve the quality some more, but it would be very small, incremental improvements compared to the huge difference the cable made.

Re: Need help recording audio from a Roland FP-30 [Re: peterws] #2551897
06/24/16 10:22 PM
06/24/16 10:22 PM
K
Keyes Offline OP
Keyes  Offline OP
K

It's working! The normaliser on Audacity worked great. Thank you so much. Only problem now is that there's some static/white noise (If that's what you call it?) but I was able to use the noise profile/removal tool and now it's much more clear.

Thanks for all the info/help from everyone in the thread, I really appreciate it!

Last edited by Keyes; 06/24/16 10:22 PM.
Re: Need help recording audio from a Roland FP-30 [Re: Keyes] #2551898
06/24/16 10:30 PM
06/24/16 10:30 PM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
My soundcard is a Sound Blaster Audigy SE and it has a Line in. My motherboard (Which is using RealTek) has a Line in as well As for the user interface, would you be able to elaborate a bit more on that?

Which would you think would provide better quality - a Digital Audio Recorder or a USB Audio Interface? I believe the products I listed above are audio interfaces, please correct me if I'm wrong! Thanks for the replies.

a) the SB Audigy SE is a mystery -- I can't open its "user manual". I _suspect_ that the "line in" is _mono_:

. . . the description doesn't say "stereo" anywhere;

. . . It's described as a gaming soundcard -- the only audio input
. . . it expects is from a monophonic computer-headset mic.

That's too bad -- it supports 24-bit / 96 kHz digital-to-aanalog conversion, which is a good spec. But you need it in the other direction, analog-to-digital.

b) I haven't found any specs for the RealTek hardware.

c) If I were looking for an audio interface, I'd be tempted to get one of the FocusRite interfaces, in spite of their cost. Three reasons:

. . . They have microphone preamps -- you don't need them now,
. . . but you might in the future;

. . . They have their own "low-latency" (short delay) software drivers;

. . . I haven't read many complaints on this forum about them.

Other suggestions made here have been proven to work, as well.

d) There should't be any difference between the audio quality of a digital recorder (driven by its "Line In" jacks) and a computer running recording software, with an audio interface _with equal bit-depth and sampling rate_.

That is, one 24-bit / 48 kHz ADC should work about as well as another. There are people who can hear differences, and some high-end ADC's are _very_ expensive. I don't claim to have "golden ears", to hear such differences.

The irony of all this is that, inside the FP-30, _all audio is digital_ until a very late stage of processing. It would be technically possible (at reasonable cost, I think) to send that audio _digitally_ over the USB-to-computer connection that the FP-30 already has.

. . . But the manufacturers don't do that on most DP's.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: Need help recording audio from a Roland FP-30 [Re: Keyes] #2552376
06/27/16 09:46 AM
06/27/16 09:46 AM
S
stevelup Offline
stevelup  Offline
S

Normalise is not that answer, all you're doing there is boosting the low signal up which is why you can hear all the white noise.

There's something wrong with your mixer settings - it would be better to fix it properly rather than applying a sticking plaster afterwards.

What version of Windows are you on? The 'recording' mixer settings are not immediately obvious.

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sticking sustain on Yamaha and UK 5 year warranty
by pianist007. 11/17/18 04:12 AM
Chopin's 4th Scherzo
by SiFi. 11/17/18 03:18 AM
SEO
by hongthai. 11/17/18 12:30 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,375
Posts2,761,884
Members91,504
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission