2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (20/20 Vision, brdwyguy, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
newbert Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Well, if anyone is still following along with my posts about getting a new piano, my new Essex EUP123 arrived yesterday. It looks great and has a wonderful bright tone (which I prefer). However, the touch is significantly heavier than my old Fischer upright (whose touch I would call "loose").

So my questions are:

1. For those who purchased new pianos, how long did it take for you to get comfortable with the touch? (I know that it's only been 24 hours for me, but I'm curious because I find that repeating notes don't always play - but that could well be due to my the light touch from my old piano that I'm used to.)

2. Also, it seems to me (and to my sister who was listening) that the the notes in the upper register (starting at D5) sound a bit "thin" and maybe even feel a bit different when striking them (although that could be a mental thing from hearing the sound). I have two free tunings due me (the first for anytime after 30 days), so I'm wondering whether I should wait until the tuning to discuss this issue with the dealer, or bring it up right away, or give it a few days to see if it works out on its own.

I've never played a brand new piano before, so I don't know what's "normal".

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Bert
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I'm always shocked by a change, and it takes a few days for my brain to start adjusting. Like when a wall color is drastically changed! Give it a week for you to adjust and then talk to your dealer if these things are still bothering you smile

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
E
E
I think it took me about a week to adjust from my Yamaha digital piano to my Ritmuller grand. I could feel a little soreness in my fingers for a week or so after that and from then on, everything was fine! grin

I had my first tuning 3 months after it was delivered and have it tuned every 18 months or so. My piano holds its tuning very well. The last time I had it tuned, my tuner, who sold me my piano, said it hardly needed a tuning.

I have a very light touch ...which may partially explain how my piano stays in tune for so long. I'm also a stickler for keeping the humidity fairly constant in my "Music Room".

Just enjoy playing your new piano and make sure you note any "sticky keys" or any particular keys that produce buzzing notes. After your first tuning, you'll enjoy the sound of your new piano even more! grin

Last edited by Emissary52; 06/17/16 02:51 PM.

I'm Craig, I'm retired, It's Saturday every day!
Alfred's Masterwork Classics Vol 3 and Vol 4
YDP-160, GH-170R
Alfred 1 Graduate
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by twocats
I'm always shocked by a change, and it takes a few days for my brain to start adjusting. Like when a wall color is drastically changed! Give it a week for you to adjust and then talk to your dealer if these things are still bothering you smile

I agree that you should have a time of adjustment to the new instrument. Then, I would talk to the technician/tuner before talking with the dealer.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
The treble is always weaker... if you want to hear it well maybe play harder or raise the lid? And play the bass softer.

Like Emissary52 above it took me a few weeks for my left hand to get used to the heavier keys on the grand.

C
C
While I wouldn't characterize my brand new Yamaha as having a heavy touch, it's definitely heavier than the previous two pianos I owned. I was feeling the effect of the heavier action in my wrists for several weeks, which was very alarming (I thought something had suddenly gone wrong with my form). But then I adjusted and all is well. I actually forgot about that until now, and I've only had the piano for two and a half months.

Is this piano brand brand new? Like out-of-the-box new? If so, I would call the dealer and ask if they can send a tech out to prep the piano, in addition to your two free tunings. Actually, even if it isn't out-of-the-box new, I think I would still call and ask. I had two different tech visits to prep and voice the piano to my liking when I first took delivery - and I still get a free tuning (scheduled for next week - can't wait!).

N
newbert Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Cassia
While I wouldn't characterize my brand new Yamaha as having a heavy touch, it's definitely heavier than the previous two pianos I owned. I was feeling the effect of the heavier action in my wrists for several weeks, which was very alarming (I thought something had suddenly gone wrong with my form). But then I adjusted and all is well. I actually forgot about that until now, and I've only had the piano for two and a half months.

Is this piano brand brand new? Like out-of-the-box new? If so, I would call the dealer and ask if they can send a tech out to prep the piano, in addition to your two free tunings. Actually, even if it isn't out-of-the-box new, I think I would still call and ask. I had two different tech visits to prep and voice the piano to my liking when I first took delivery - and I still get a free tuning (scheduled for next week - can't wait!).

Yes, the piano is "brand brand out-of-the-box" (actually, chosen from off the showroom floor) new.

Would it be best to call for a prep now, or wait to have it done in conjunction with the first tuning in 30 days?

Bert
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Newbert:

Congratulations to your new piano: IMHO the Essex 123 upright is the best in their line up of pianos!

2. Also, it seems to me (and to my sister who was listening) that the the notes in the upper register (starting at D5) sound a bit "thin" and maybe even feel a bit different when striking them (although that could be a mental thing from hearing the sound). I have two free tunings due me (the first for anytime after 30 days), so I'm wondering whether I should wait until the tuning to discuss this issue with the dealer, or bring it up right away, or give it a few days to see if it works out on its own.

It's definitely a tuning/voicing thing.
But also by "design", hammers used and manufacturer's intention.
All of which create the possibilities of sound.

Lets not forget that pianos can only sound as good in treble as they are designed for. Many people don't pay attention to this when buying a piano. Most salesmen will carefully avoid to demonstrate or show this. They know its one of the tough spots in the piano to make sound right. It often can make quite a difference from one piano to another and it's not uncommon that a cheaper piano can sound better in treble than a larger one.

It's a tough thing for manufacturers to design & manufacture pianos with consistently pleasant, i.e. musical trebles, this for several reasons. Perhaps one of them is that people tend to often ignore this important section of the keyboard.

Have your tuner give you some ideas: hopefully he will be able to improve things!

Best of luck

Norbert smile

Last edited by Norbert; 06/17/16 10:24 PM.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Bert,

2 of the 3 pianos I've purchased as an adult needed regulation adjustments almost immediately after delivery - one was caused by inadequate dealer prep and weirdly acclimating to my home after delivery, the other was caused by the dealer completely overdoing subtle regulation changes that I requested prior to delivery. So in my experience, it's not at all weird for a new piano to undergo significant changes quickly, especially with regard to touch. Tone usually changes more gradually with hours and hours of playing time.

The good news is both these initially troublesome pianos ended up being very stable and reliable instruments after a few hours of skilled tech work in my home.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission