2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
53 registered members (Chernobieff Piano, Dfrankjazz, AB99, chasingrainbows, 13 invisible), 372 guests, and 468 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
How can you help support Piano World? #2547484 06/07/16 09:54 PM
Rickster Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
I've never been very good at solicitation. I don't like to bother people or ask for much of anything.

Anyway, I just wanted to remind everyone, especially the most active members here, that it would help Frank Baxter to keep Piano World going if we could make a small donation on occasion.

In order to lead by example, I just made a small donation to Piano World via my PayPal account. It was quick and easy.

I'm not a member of Facebook or Twitter, or any other online organizations, but I do love Piano World, and spend way too much time here. I've really enjoyed the Piano World forums, and have learned a lot about pianos, and people; they usually go together pretty well. smile

Here is the PW donation site, or you can look at the very bottom of the page. Piano World donation page

Some things are worth making a small monetary donation to on occasion to help keep a good thing going.

If Frank or the moderators think this thread is inappropriate, they can remove it.

All the best!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: How can you help support Piano World? [Re: Rickster] #2547487 06/07/16 10:15 PM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I second Rickster's appeal to donate to PW. I make a monthly contribution to PW automatically through PayPal. I feel I owe something to PW because I spend so much time here, time spent in learning and communicating with my piano cyber-friends.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: How can you help support Piano World? [Re: Rickster] #2547582 06/08/16 08:28 AM
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
I third Rickster's appeal.

I have made friends here, met colleagues here, learned here, and taught here. It has been a great place to communicate and get to know others who are passionate about the instrument I love.

I have donated to Frank before, but it has been a while. This is a good reminder. Thank you Rick.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for great content every week:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CunninghamPiano
Re: How can you help support Piano World? [Re: Rickster] #2547596 06/08/16 09:18 AM
Beemer Offline
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Rick,

I just made my contribution now.

Thanks for the hint.

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Re: How can you help support Piano World? [Re: Rickster] #2547607 06/08/16 09:42 AM
A
Anne'sson Offline
A
Like others who have responded on this thread, I've set up an automatic monthly donation to Piano World via PayPal. I probably spend more time browsing the posts to this site than I do skimming the local newspaper.

Anne'sson
El Paso, TX
Re: How can you help support Piano World? [Re: Rickster] #2547633 06/08/16 10:58 AM
Rickster Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the response and the comments!

Gee, maybe Frank should give me a commission... (just kidding grin )

Actually, it is easy to take something we love and enjoy for granted. If Piano World wasn't here, I'd probably join Facebook, which I've avoided so far.

Some of the finest piano professionals in the world are members here, and they are often willing to help with info and advice.

Besides, the entertainment value of Piano World alone is worth a few dollars now and then. smile

I'm sure Frank appreciates the donations, no matter how small.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: How can you help support Piano World? [Re: Rickster] #2547763 06/08/16 07:38 PM
B
BornInTheUSA Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Why not make the dealers pay to post here? It seems like it's a good marketing tool for [most of] them. Perhaps charge them per post. Maybe certain boards like the piano-tech forum would be free or another board where people can ask non-piano buying questions.

Re: How can you help support Piano World? [Re: Rickster] #2547780 06/08/16 09:02 PM
M
MH1963 Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
Thank you for the reminder. I'll chip in. I have learned a lot here.

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A

[Linked Image]
Re: How can you help support Piano World? [Re: BornInTheUSA] #2547793 06/08/16 10:12 PM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by michaelha
Why not make the dealers pay to post here? It seems like it's a good marketing tool for [most of] them. Perhaps charge them per post. Maybe certain boards like the piano-tech forum would be free or another board where people can ask non-piano buying questions.

Why would you suggest that dealers pay while others not pay? Dealers are not advertising their products for sale nor soliciting customers to avail themselves of any of their services. Moreover, some of the dealers give the most valuable advice on this website of any of the contributors, and charging them for the advice they give seems quite perverse.

Charging some members and not charging others or charging members per post would set up a bookkeeping nightmare that no accountant would want to deal with and would cost - if not in money, at least in time - more than the site already costs Frank Baxter to run.

This site has always been a "free" service to those who participate, and I think that contributions should be entirely voluntary.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: How can you help support Piano World? [Re: BruceD] #2547819 06/09/16 01:18 AM
B
BornInTheUSA Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Of course dealers are advertising. Every time they respond to a message and have their business info in the thread that's an advertisement. They don't need to say "Hey come to my shop and buy a Steinway this weekend for a University curb sale" for it to be considered an advertisement. The ad-world calls these impressions. And by not blatantly advertising or making an a$$ out of yourself like a few of the dealers here, but by providing quality information they're improving their image, their brand, credibility, and that's advertising 101.

Now everyone loves "Bob's Pianos" because he's such a nice guy, always telling me what's wrong with my Wurlitzer spinet even though he's in NY and I'm in LA - oh because - there are other readers that live in NY and they'll see the post and go, "Wow, Bob is such a nice guy, I want to go buy a Wurlitzer from him."

I've worked at several web businesses and I wouldn't rely on end-user donations. It might help a little, little bit, maybe buy a few pizzas.

If I were Frank, I'd tax the dealers and then I'd raise the prices on ads. If the dealers balk, then maybe this isn't such a good business.

There's a guitar forum that I visit - it's run by a couple of guitar shops so it's nothing but a big marketing tool for them.

EDIT: And if this isn't a good business, it might be OK. Nothing wrong with running it as a hobby as long as it's not losing money.

Maybe it used to be a good business, but times are a' changin. Innovate or die. Need to constantly create new products to protect your revenues - can't just use the same old code since 1994 and expect it to keep going. I have an idea - Maybe PW can take on that group buying website - coordinate group buy's for U1's and skim a little off the top.

There's a lot of things this site could do to generate more revenue. Take a look at Edmunds.com or at least the version they had up around 2004. A dealer finder/connect tool. I'm sure they make a couple bucks every time a user sends an inquiry to a dealer. How about not making it "taboo" to talk about prices - after all, that's probably the most valuable thing this site could provide, but it's "taboo." TrueCar, which is growing like crazy, does nothing but talk about prices.

Last edited by michaelha; 06/09/16 01:49 AM.
Re: How can you help support Piano World? [Re: BornInTheUSA] #2547831 06/09/16 03:53 AM
Beemer Offline
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Sad that the good start of this thread has changed and so soon 😕

Ian

Last edited by Beemer; 06/09/16 03:56 AM.

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Re: How can you help support Piano World? [Re: Rickster] #2547876 06/09/16 06:52 AM
MarieJ Offline
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
No-one has mentioned becoming a subscribing member yet. Easy, automatic via PayPal, and you even get a smart little badge to go with your avatar. smile

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-LVII

My C3 - solace.
Re: How can you help support Piano World? [Re: Rickster] #2547879 06/09/16 07:08 AM
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Donated, and thank you for the reminder, Rickster

Re: How can you help support Piano World? [Re: Rickster] #2547887 06/09/16 07:53 AM
Rickster Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks again for the comments and the support of Piano World.

In all honestly, I view this forum as a free service offered by it's owner, Frank Baxter. Frank doesn't have to keep it going, or maintained or anything, because he is the sole owner and operator. He does offer paid advertising from businesses to help keep it afloat; I think it cost him several thousand dollars a year to pay the expenses and keep the site up. And, he accepts donations from members, which is what this thread is all about.

I doubt very seriously if Frank is getting rich off Piano World. But I personally enjoy it enough to be willing to donate on occasion.

In my dealings with Frank Baxter, I don't think I've ever met a more honest person, or a nicer person.

Just my .02.

Rick

Re: How can you help support Piano World? [Re: MarieJ] #2547930 06/09/16 12:15 PM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by MarieJ
No-one has mentioned becoming a subscribing member yet. Easy, automatic via PayPal, and you even get a smart little badge to go with your avatar. smile

That's what I thought, but I got no badge with my subscription. That said, I guess it shouldn't be about advertising that one is a subscriber. On the other hand, knowing and seeing that some members are subscribers might encourage others to do so.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: How can you help support Piano World? [Re: BornInTheUSA] #2547931 06/09/16 12:17 PM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
[...] Every time they respond to a message and have their business info in the thread that's an advertisement. [...]

Correct me if I am wrong, but I understood that PW required that dealers include their dealer information in their signature. If that is the case then PW is showing that they are dealers while the dealers are not necessarily advertising for themselves.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: How can you help support Piano World? [Re: Rickster] #2547941 06/09/16 12:33 PM
B
BornInTheUSA Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Rickster
Thanks again for the comments and the support of Piano World.

In all honestly, I view this forum as a free service offered by it's owner, Frank Baxter. Frank doesn't have to keep it going, or maintained or anything, because he is the sole owner and operator. He does offer paid advertising from businesses to help keep it afloat; I think it cost him several thousand dollars a year to pay the expenses and keep the site up. And, he accepts donations from members, which is what this thread is all about.

I doubt very seriously if Frank is getting rich off Piano World. But I personally enjoy it enough to be willing to donate on occasion.

Nobody's debating his character or integrity. Just these types of sites are usually somewhere between a hobby and a business - I still have a website that I built running that had hopes of glory, but it didn't turn out that way. There are still a decent amount of users, still believe in the utility, but I have other ideas that are more worthy of my time now. I keep it running just in case I find time to work on it later, and I subsidize it with my other businesses.

If it really does cost that much money to run PW, I mean the web hosting, take a look at DigitalOcean. I'd suspect PW could run fine on their 1GB/$10 or 2GB/$20 per month servers.

Re: How can you help support Piano World? [Re: Rickster] #2547945 06/09/16 12:55 PM
Rickster Offline OP
OP Offline
Nobody's debating his character or integrity. Just these types of sites are usually somewhere between a hobby and a business - I still have a website that I built running that had hopes of glory, but it didn't turn out that way. There are still a decent amount of users, still believe in the utility, but I have other ideas that are more worthy of my time now. I keep it running just in case I find time to work on it later, and I subsidize it with my other businesses.

If it really does cost that much money to run PW, I mean the web hosting, take a look at DigitalOcean. I'd suspect PW could run fine on their 1GB/$10 or 2GB/$20 per month servers.

Perhaps Frank will read your comments and take them under advisement.

I will say this, however, and I hope Frank doesn't mind...

Not only is Piano World valuable to its many members and supporters, it is also valuable to some very high-profile piano industry folk who have offered to buy Piano World. Apparently, these entities have not offered a high enough price to suit Frank. But the fact remains that if they made an offer, Piano World is valuable to these industry folks in general.

If Frank were to sell Piano World, it probably wouldn't be the same. Therefore, I hope he can garner enough paying advertisers and donations to keep it going as is...

Just my .02.

Rick

Re: How can you help support Piano World? [Re: BruceD] #2548028 06/09/16 05:54 PM
MarieJ Offline
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
That's what I thought, but I got no badge with my subscription. That said, I guess it shouldn't be about advertising that one is a subscriber. On the other hand, knowing and seeing that some members are subscribers might encourage others to do so.

The link ‘becoming a subscribing member’ at the foot of the page describes how to publish the icon once you’ve become a subscriber. It could encourage others who, like me, didn't know you could subscribe and wondered what the icons were all about. (Maybe we should start a subscription drive ... ) smile

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-LVII

My C3 - solace.
Re: How can you help support Piano World? [Re: MarieJ] #2548064 06/09/16 08:55 PM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by MarieJ
Originally Posted by BruceD

The link ‘becoming a subscribing member’ at the foot of the page describes how to publish the icon once you’ve become a subscriber. It could encourage others who, like me, didn't know you could subscribe and wondered what the icons were all about. (Maybe we should start a subscription drive ... ) smile

MarieJ:

Thank you for that explanation. I guess it amounts to a little bit of self patting on the back, adding the subscriber icon, but, as you say, others seeing it might be encouraged also to subscribe.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
grades of pieces
by Kaori Miyamoto - 02/24/20 05:40 PM
Roland FP10 vs Yamaha125 or alternative?
by Ilin - 02/24/20 03:06 PM
Snippets of Pieces I've Been Composing
by PianoYos - 02/24/20 02:37 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,170
Posts2,929,587
Members96,104
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission