Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
109 registered members (ando, akc42, amyram, AntonioC, 36251, AndrewJCW, amad23, 28 invisible), 1,837 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Piano lessons over skype, any teachers here? #2539572
05/14/16 09:54 AM
05/14/16 09:54 AM
M
Messiah Offline OP
Messiah  Offline OP
M

Is there anyone here giving lessons in piano over skype?

I am interested in classical music, I like baroque but I also would want to become more free on the instrument so a teacher with wide knowledge would be best. Like going into improvisation, composition and accompaniment to different styles would be nice. Other benefits would be if the teacher have a deep knowledge how things work theoretically and practical and have a good way of teaching that knowledge to their student. My goal would be to become more musical and not a slave to sheet music as I feel I am now, exploring composition would be nice and just generally approach the instrument from different angles than hammering piece after piece of written music (fun and all but at the end of the day leaves me a bit empty).

Is there such a person in here? =)

I also wonder what the usual charge per hour is and how you setup the skype? I guess you want to line-out the piano, but how is that done the easiest way with skype still picking up the microphone?

Thanks in advance.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Piano lessons over skype, any teachers here? [Re: Messiah] #2540125
05/15/16 09:04 PM
05/15/16 09:04 PM
guess where in CA and WA
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member
laguna_greg  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

guess where in CA and WA
Oh My Dear,

Many of us teach on Skype, realities of the marketplace, blah blah blah...

I would say that 9/10ths of my market share is Skype.

And they are all injured!!! They can't come to my studio in W WA. So I see their initial intake lessons virtually, from anywhere in the country. I get them to come to see me in real-time about 2-3 times per year, and the rest is all virtual. The local hotel gives a discount in my name, when they come to visit my home town.

BTW, I don't think you've ever met a teacher with a truly "deep" knowledge of, well, anything, god help you when you do, you people from the "provinces".

Yes, I mean that most sincerely.

Does that help you at all? To be clear, I consider this and most other blogging sites as charity work.

Yup, I said it.

Laguna Greg

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/greg-dempster/34/325/6b9/ (my day job)
Re: Piano lessons over skype, any teachers here? [Re: Messiah] #2540783
05/17/16 07:28 PM
05/17/16 07:28 PM
Canada
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
keystring  Offline

Canada
Originally Posted by Messiah
.... how you setup the skype? I guess you want to line-out the piano, but how is that done the easiest way with skype still picking up the microphone?

Since this one hasn't been answered yet:

I work over Skype as a student. If you have a digital piano you can hook it up to a mixer, and you can hook up a microphone to the mixer as well. Both the piano and your voice feed in through the mixer which then sends in both signals to the computer and from there on to Skype. I have the teacher's response come through the speakers since I'm using a headset plugged into the piano for hearing myself play. Work with a remote teacher can also be a mix of live (Skype) and not live. You can create recordings on sites like SoundCloud, or videos that you put on a platform like Youtube, both in a format that will only be viewed by people you choose - not the general public. Your teacher can listen to this without the distortions that Skype can give, and can then respond and work with you live, or respond by video. There are probably different ways that this gets paid, since the viewing off-line is also part of the work the teacher does.

You might want to do a search, because this topic has been discussed in both the teacher and the ABF forum. smile

Re: Piano lessons over skype, any teachers here? [Re: laguna_greg] #2540787
05/17/16 07:36 PM
05/17/16 07:36 PM
Canada
keystring Offline
keystring  Offline

Canada
Originally Posted by laguna_greg
BTW, I don't think you've ever met a teacher with a truly "deep" knowledge of, well, anything, god help you when you do, you people from the "provinces".

I don't get this comment. When a student who has not had such an opportunity does get fortunate enough, then this is not an ominous or scary thing, it is a wonderful thing. If there is any frustration or bad feelings, it's probably on the side of the teacher who finds he has yet another set of damages to undo. In my limited experience I have found that those who are very knowledgeable and skilled tend to be the least likely to thump their chests and make the student feel small, which is also why I don't understand that statement. What can happen on the student side perhaps is dismay at all that must be relearned and unlearned, or all that can be learned and is to be learned - perhaps that is what you meant?

Re: Piano lessons over skype, any teachers here? [Re: keystring] #2540795
05/17/16 07:55 PM
05/17/16 07:55 PM
M
Messiah Offline OP
Messiah  Offline OP
M

Thanks for the help so far I will look into that skype stuff more, I was curious how skype registers both sound in and out to the listener and at the same time my mic and the teachers mic. Is that just activating stereo mix in windows to make skype pic up all you hear? I mean I need to hear my piano and it would be best if he can hear my piano also through line out from my piano and not from my speakers into the mic.

The other thing would be to connect my focusrite but I think it can be trickier for skype to understand that soundcard since it's not a USB with the usual 1 input, 1 output. It's firewire with 8 analog inputs and 8 outputs, that would of course be the best if I can do that.

Again thanks and keep the advice and such coming if you got anything to share, highly appreciate it.

Re: Piano lessons over skype, any teachers here? [Re: laguna_greg] #2540803
05/17/16 08:10 PM
05/17/16 08:10 PM
M
Messiah Offline OP
Messiah  Offline OP
M

Oh My Dear,

Many of us teach on Skype, realities of the marketplace, blah blah blah...

I would say that 9/10ths of my market share is Skype.

And they are all injured!!! They can't come to my studio in W WA. So I see their initial intake lessons virtually, from anywhere in the country. I get them to come to see me in real-time about 2-3 times per year, and the rest is all virtual. The local hotel gives a discount in my name, when they come to visit my home town.

Yes, I mean that most sincerely.

Does that help you at all? To be clear, I consider this and most other blogging sites as charity work.

Yup, I said it.

I'm not really following, what helps me?

And what is charity work for you, to sit on this forum and type to people?

What do you teach yourself to your students?

Re: Piano lessons over skype, any teachers here? [Re: laguna_greg] #2540817
05/17/16 08:49 PM
05/17/16 08:49 PM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
... I consider this and most other blogging sites as charity work.

Lately at least, it's clear that you are not posting here for PR purposes.

Learner
Re: Piano lessons over skype, any teachers here? [Re: Messiah] #2541533
05/19/16 09:18 PM
05/19/16 09:18 PM
Leicester, UK
M
Mark Polishook Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Mark Polishook  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

Leicester, UK
To the OP,

Google Skype piano and similar things and you'll get a lot of info about Skype and piano and piano teaching.

You can, it you want, check out my web site. I teach on Skype. If you have further questions after you visit my site then contact me.

However, here are plenty of great teachers on Skype and I've worked with and worke with many really interesting students. But what's key is that you and the teacher have a good fit and common understanding on a variety of things piano related. Hence my suggestion that you investigate further through Google.

Good luck in your search. YOUR teacher is out there somewhere ...

Re: Piano lessons over skype, any teachers here? [Re: Mark Polishook] #2541554
05/19/16 10:37 PM
05/19/16 10:37 PM
First Town, First State
BrianDX Offline
2000 Post Club Member
BrianDX  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

First Town, First State
Congrats to the Foxes! smile

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
Re: Piano lessons over skype, any teachers here? [Re: Messiah] #2541899
05/21/16 09:26 AM
05/21/16 09:26 AM
Virginia, USA
T
TimR Offline
4000 Post Club Member
TimR  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
T

Virginia, USA
I have just had my first Skype lesson.

I think it was every bit as effective as the in person lessons. But I had worked with the teacher in person first and knew his style, and in the early lessons he had addressed some physical positioning etc that was more easily done in person.

I'm going to continue with the skype because it allows me to increase the frequency of lessons and eliminates the hassle of navigating through some truly horrendous traffic, something that is intimidating to me.

We are not doing anything special with additional cameras or microphones, he says the laptop I'm using is adequate.

gotta go practice
Re: Piano lessons over skype, any teachers here? [Re: TimR] #2542065
05/21/16 06:49 PM
05/21/16 06:49 PM
M
Messiah Offline OP
Messiah  Offline OP
M

Thank you all so much for your replies, I checked out your site briefly Mark, you teach jazz and classical if I'm correct?

I agree with what you say about fit. Many piano teachers out there should stick to playing and not teaching at all tbh. A great pianist doesn't necessarily make you a great teacher, it's two different things.

I also value a teacher having a structure and taking time to prepare before the lesson, I have met probably 3 teachers who when I arrived just ignorantly ask some questions and then they browse through a binder for material that is mostly out of order, I mean that should be done to a certain point before I arrive. Preparation I should not pay for I think, and another thing the teachers that constantly look at the time like they just want you to get the heck out of there, I stop going to those teachers after 1 lesson, I get a bit upset by that behaviour. Set a timer, and be focused and if the teacher have been explaining bad or the lesson is not fully done after 1 hour I do expect the teacher to actually give me more time. Especially if he or she have been jamming away 30 minutes of my lesson which I had one teacher doing. Everytime I asked a tiny little question about something there came a long riff lasting minutes, with solos, and chords and the whole circus around it, you know flexing his piano muscles, I'm not interested in that. The only thing that will impress me is how good you as a teacher can teach me, not how good you play. I have 0% interest in that even if I prefer the teacher to be skilled, but it should be transfered to me efficiently otherwise it's pointless to me as a buyer of a service.

My money, my lesson, my value, my time, do not waste it!

Might sound hard and rude but it's not, it's common sense, but sadly many people in this world is lacking common sense and are not always so good at living themselfs into other peoples shoes.

I might try a lesson with you Mark to see how it feels, I just need to wait a bit further down the road. I had another one I tried and I will give that some more tries before I can decide to stay or leave, but I contact you soon then.

Re: Piano lessons over skype, any teachers here? [Re: Messiah] #2542075
05/21/16 08:24 PM
05/21/16 08:24 PM
Canada
keystring Offline
keystring  Offline

Canada
Messiah, you make some valid points but it would also be good to look at all sides so you don't get caught out. For the clock watching: I would put that one aside as a non-issue, because a teacher is responsible for giving a series of lessons within a set time period, he has to time himself, and also be ready for the next student. Anyone without a built-in internal clock will have to use a device, and there is nothing rude or bad about this. A student who keeps looking at the clock might actually be more rude since he has no show to run. wink

In regards to the teacher who "performs" during your paid time, it depends on his intention. He may actually be wanting you to pay attention to particular things that he is teaching. If so it would be good for him to actually point out what that is, before or afterward. Otoh there may be some who just like to hear themselves play. There has also been the argument in this forum that a teacher's impressive playing "inspires" students, and that can be an actual purpose.

When it comes to preparation, this is a two-way street. A teacher who plans his lessons and then assigns things, which are to be done in a particular manner, toward a particular purpose, needs the student to follow through and do so consistently. Very frequently this does not happen, both with children and with adults. This makes the teacher's efforts ineffective, among other things, and is generally frustrating and disheartening. The counterpart of your "performing teacher" is the "performing student" who wants to impress his teacher with what he has done on his own, while leaving aside the "piddly" things that his teacher has asked him to do (see first point in this paragraph). An extra thing in addition to what you have been assigned may be wonderful: instead of, is not.

Another thing that comes up is the idea that "the customer is boss, because the customer is paying". But if you have a truly good teacher, then he or she will know what path, what tasks, what subgoals, will bring you to the goal of mastering the piano or whatever it is you are after.

When it comes to music studies, I am mainly a student. These are things that I have gleaned over the years, and mention them because they may be helpful. The points you make are quite valid, and there are all kinds of people out there who teach (just like there are all kinds of people who take lessons).

Re: Piano lessons over skype, any teachers here? [Re: Messiah] #2542086
05/21/16 10:03 PM
05/21/16 10:03 PM
Leicester, UK
M
Mark Polishook Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Mark Polishook  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

Leicester, UK
Messiah, contact me if and when you're ready. I do teach jazz and classical and I don't separate them, they're all part of the bigger picture. But that's my approach. And "if and when you're ready" is the key phrase - not a second before.

What I think those in this thread who have had good experience on Skype are saying is you and your teacher should feel like you're both pursuing the same goal - which is reaching and working towards what's important to YOU. Collaboration and trust are key. But it's complicated, no one teacher has all the answers. Ask questions! Evaluate the answers that come back!

Re: Piano lessons over skype, any teachers here? [Re: Messiah] #2544621
05/29/16 09:20 PM
05/29/16 09:20 PM
73 Via Pico Plaza, San Clement...
B
Biffcooper Offline
Biffcooper  Offline
B

73 Via Pico Plaza, San Clement...
I have done it for Students who have moved away but wanted to continue lessons. I would say it is not possible to teach a beginner this way; However, a seasoned beginner who is motivated, no problem. Get ready. EVERYONE will switch to teaching this way. welcome to the future of Piano Lessons.

Practice till you hate it.....only then will you be good.

www.beachcitiesrockclub.com
Re: Piano lessons over skype, any teachers here? [Re: Biffcooper] #2544705
05/30/16 07:04 AM
05/30/16 07:04 AM
First Town, First State
BrianDX Offline
2000 Post Club Member
BrianDX  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

First Town, First State
Having used Skype for years I am well aware of the auditory limitations of this technology, depending on the sending/receiving computers.

Right now I am working on some early intermediate pieces with my teacher. We are going over very subtle issues with balance, phrasing, etc. I doubt very much a teacher over Skype could pick up these details the same way he/she could live in the room.

Other things like general instruction, tempo, proper note values etc. would be no problem.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
Re: Piano lessons over skype, any teachers here? [Re: Messiah] #2544831
05/30/16 02:58 PM
05/30/16 02:58 PM
western MA, USA
hreichgott Offline
3000 Post Club Member
hreichgott  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

western MA, USA
I often reposition students' hands, fingers, arms and shoulders using my hands during lessons. Virtual reality has to get a lot better before I can do that over skype smile

Heather W. Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Beethoven - Diabelli Variations Op. 120
Beethoven/Liszt - Symphony no. 7
Tommy (whole show)

I love Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and new music
Re: Piano lessons over skype, any teachers here? [Re: Messiah] #2544914
05/30/16 11:27 PM
05/30/16 11:27 PM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
I don't think, in my area at least, that skype will become the "norm" of piano teaching. There are simply too many piano teachers here.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: Piano lessons over skype, any teachers here? [Re: hreichgott] #2545036
05/31/16 11:28 AM
05/31/16 11:28 AM
Virginia, USA
T
TimR Offline
4000 Post Club Member
TimR  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
T

Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by hreichgott
I often reposition students' hands, fingers, arms and shoulders using my hands during lessons. Virtual reality has to get a lot better before I can do that over skype smile

That may be a factor. My teacher did some of that early on, but now Skype is working fine.

There's another way in which Skype could really have an impact.

Skype "in person" lessons, for the purpose of teaching a third person how to teach. Or, multiple third persons - you could be teaching one person at the piano, and have 10 watching you, getting a master class in how to teach, for which you could collect Paypal.

Last edited by TimR; 05/31/16 11:29 AM. Reason: typo

gotta go practice
Re: Piano lessons over skype, any teachers here? [Re: AZNpiano] #2545153
05/31/16 05:53 PM
05/31/16 05:53 PM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
I don't think, in my area at least, that skype will become the "norm" of piano teaching. There are simply too many piano teachers here.

But teachers in your area could do it for students who live way out yonder in the back of beyond.

Learner
Re: Piano lessons over skype, any teachers here? [Re: Messiah] #2545154
05/31/16 05:54 PM
05/31/16 05:54 PM
western MA, USA
hreichgott Offline
3000 Post Club Member
hreichgott  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

western MA, USA
True, Tim, skype could be very good for teacher training.

Heather W. Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Beethoven - Diabelli Variations Op. 120
Beethoven/Liszt - Symphony no. 7
Tommy (whole show)

I love Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and new music
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Heintzman & Co. project opinion
by D.P.. 10/15/19 05:56 PM
Playing by ear
by KuroMisaka. 10/15/19 02:47 PM
Why I’m convinced a good teacher is ESSENTIAL
by WeakLeftHand. 10/15/19 02:40 PM
A question for sight readers
by hag01. 10/15/19 10:36 AM
Help me choose my next DP
by idfpiano. 10/15/19 10:15 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,537
Posts2,879,486
Members94,679
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission