2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (akse0435, amc252, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 15 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Chogato Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Guys, I have a problem with my Yamaha P-105 digital piano. It's that the volume of the notes in the low-end range and the high-end range are not equal at all. Applying the same amount of speed and force, the notes in the low-end would sound overwhelming, loud and takes about 4~8 seconds for the sound to die away when I play(if I keep depressing); the notes in the high-end sound thin, soft and the sound dies away in just 0.5~1 seconds.

This is quite a problem when playing passages with notes in the extreme ends, because the bass notes would completely overpower the high notes. And yeah, this only happens with the GP1 piano sound. Others are completely fine. Please help. What can I do to fix this?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It's the same on acoustic piano's, so that a positive for your digital :-)
I have the same when playing that my left hand sounds too loud. You just have to try to play more silent by gently pressing the keys.

O
O
Originally Posted by Chogato
the notes in the low-end would sound overwhelming, loud and takes about 4~8 seconds for the sound to die away when I play(if I keep depressing)
Lucky you - on a good quality acoustic grand it may take a minute for the sound to die off completely. That's why there are dampers on acoustics.

Unfortunately, acoustic pianos play like that (and, to be honest, music generally plays like that - ever wondered why tweeters are very small compared to woofers? Inertia is one reason; energy content of music at different frequencies is another).

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
According to the manual, it seems that if the keybed is split, you can control the volume of each part, seperately.

http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=da&site=dk.yamaha.com&asset_id=57343

You need to study the manual a bit to find out, unless someone who owns the P105, and there are a few of them here, gives a clear cut solution.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
Yes, but the lower part is then without sustain. So it's not a practical solution. smile

Peace

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
This may seem like a strange question:

. . . What is the setting of your volume control?

Run it up to 3/4 volume, or higher, and see if the "imbalance" between bass and treble gets better, or worse.

The human ear plays some strange tricks -- "perceived loudness" is a very complicated function of amplitude and pitch. Some DP's (I don't know if the P105 is one of them) have "volume compensation" circuits, that boost the bass if you are running at a low volume setting. If the P105 does have such a circuit (or "effect"), I suggest that you turn it off.

And another question:

. . . What speakers, or headphones, are you using?

There are some headphones (the Dr. Dre "Beat" series is notorious) that boost the bass, always and everywhere. They are not the preferred headphones for practicing on a DP.

And -- as previous posts say -- acoustic pianos have much longer sustain times on bass notes, than on high notes. That's what the DP makers try to duplicate. Try out an acoustic piano the next time you get a chance.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Take a recording with your phone and post it if you're really worried. As others have said it sounds pretty much like normal functionality of a piano.

M
M
I found a solution.

I built new analog outputs in my Yamaha P-85 and now I have a better sound.
You can hear the difference between the main-factory and the only (headphones designed) outputs and my new, built-in outputs.

https://youtu.be/Z3TZ23xkj9w

Better audio Quality here: https://soundcloud.com/eliminemusic/sets/yamaha-p-85-analog-outputs-sound

Keep in mind that sampling rate was 16 bit / 44,1 kHz here!

There is no science. There is only misery, striving and sacrifice to reach your personal goal. -Eli Mine
C
Chogato Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thank you guys for your replies!

As many of you have said, it seems that this is the way it works on an acoustic piano. So what I should do is learn to play the bass notes softly so that the high notes can be clearly heard, is that right?

And I have been to a Yamaha showroom and played on one of their grands. The bass notes are louder than the high notes in the grand too, but it's not as worse as mine.

P
P
Please try to enter test mode and do the following tests.
[img]https://goo.gl/photos/KwWMF3uMM4Z1Pmtv6[/img]

Test 28:Ram check2 (OK C4 sine wave/NG C2 sine wave)
Test 30:Effect Ram check(the same as above)
Test 31: Factory set .Seconds per result  1+7sec
Test 32:Exit test mode and hot restart.Seconds per result 1+20sec
(this is a required item after factory set)

recovered or not ? (=^・^=)

--------------------------------------
Pro-TAC tuning and repair service.
pro-tac.jpn.org/
--------------------------------------

M
M
Always use a different technique on a different instrument...

There is no science. There is only misery, striving and sacrifice to reach your personal goal. -Eli Mine
O
O
Originally Posted by Chogato
Thank you guys for your replies!

As many of you have said, it seems that this is the way it works on an acoustic piano. So what I should do is learn to play the bass notes softly so that the high notes can be clearly heard, is that right?

And I have been to a Yamaha showroom and played on one of their grands. The bass notes are louder than the high notes in the grand too, but it's not as worse as mine.
Yes to the first part. To the second, I am wondering if there is something about your piano and room that creates resonances at low frequencies or absorbs too much at the high ones. Do you get the same issues of tonal balance when playing/listening on headphones?

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission