2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,235 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2542733 05/24/16 01:58 AM
M
OP Offline
M
In the workshop,I always buff the keys with a buffing wheel,but am wondering what people are using to clean keys in customers houses?
Not looking for any major operations to whiten keys or anything like that but just as part of regulating the action it's nice to clean up the keys a bit too.
Is there a good product for this?

Thanks, Lewis.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Brasso, meppo, or even T-cut works just fine. Any white residue left on the sharps easily wipes off when dry.

Concert Tuner & Technician for the past 52 years in the United Kingdom
www.jphillipspianoservices.freeindex.co.uk : E-mail jophillips06@aol.com
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Do they sell packets of glass cleaner wipes in England? That's what I use. They work for cleaning finger prints off high gloss cabinet parts as well. I clean the keys before I tune every piano. They make disinfectant wipes as well. One packet lasts me about a week, and easily fits in the tool case. They cost $3 to $4 in the USA

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks. Yes you can buy glass cleaning wipes, i'll definitely give them a try.Seems very handy for the tool case!

I remember using T-Cut on some keys just before it was going out to a customer, and a piano mover said he would be worried about the 'ammonia causing damage', but i wasn't really sure. I've been a bit hesitant to use it after that!

Obviously you have never had any problems so maybe it's ok then.

D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
"Solvol Autosol" metal cleaner, available in tubes at Halfords car shops in the UK can also be very good and won't damage or discolour ivory.

Inclined to cavil a little at the price of Cory cleaning products, I looked into various surfactants, and made up a key cleaning detergent of my own, also very good for cleaning high gloss casework, laptop screens and glasses! I've never marketed it though.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I like Cory Key-Brite. It's specifically for piano keys... ivory or plastic, it doesn't matter. It's also OK for keyboards.

I've never had a problem with it nor heard of anyone having a problem with it.

I like the idea that it's advertised for piano keys. If a problem should develop after using, someone is there to take responsibility (other than me smile laugh ).

I'm sure other products are just fine as well. But, if they are being used in a way for which they weren't intended, obviously the manufacturers aren't liable.

Most piano supply houses carry it (probably cheapest). You can also find it on Amazon or by just using a search engine.

Last edited by daniokeeper; 05/24/16 06:12 PM.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
M
OP Offline
M
Thank you very much for the suggestions, that was just what I was looking for.
I will give them all a try. 3hearts

M
M
I usually just use a paper towel with a little lemon juice on it. Particularly suited to ivory, and bonus of no chemical, for any customers that might be sensitive to such things.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
My 1978 Yamaha C7 has the original, one-piece ivory key-tops. When I first got the piano, I went through a lengthy process cleaning and polishing the key-tops, with excellent results. Over time, the ivory has gotten dingy and dirty looking again, even though I always try to wash my hands before playing. Oddly enough the dirty key-tops don't seem to bother me as much and they have a fantastic grip!

Which composer was it that railed against cleaning the key-tops before his performances? smile

Otherwise, I used a little vinegar and water or common household glass cleaner or mild dish-soap.

Initially, I used white tooth-paste and a lot of elbow grease to polish them, with good results.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
P
P
Yamaha ivorite key top.
Sanding and buffing before after.

https://goo.gl/photos/LU2LRwNiR7W24kmR8

--------------------------------------
Pro-TAC tuning and repair service.
pro-tac.jpn.org/

B
BDB Offline
B
Early Ivorite keys would get dirty and the dirt would not wash off. Yamaha will replace those keytops. As far as I know, they still do it.

Semipro Tech
When I looked at the picture Pro TAC posted regarding the ivorite key-tops, it reminded me of the first time I saw and played a Yamaha C7 (which inspired me to want one). It was at a big piano store in Atlanta, and they said they had just got the C7 in on a trade. You could tell the piano had some age on it, but the key-tops were extremely yellow an dingy looking... like the ones in the photo, except with multiple chips on the front edges. I honestly didn't think real ivory got that yellow and dingy looking; maybe a little yellowish. So, that C7 must have had the ivorite key-tops.

My C7 has the one-piece ivory key-tops as far as I know (circa 1978). And, the dirty key-tops clean up well when washed and cleaned. I may well replace the key-tops one day, but they are still in good condition in my view, though they need cleaning again. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
P
P
for infomation about yamaha new ivory.

c7a c7b 1983-1990
c5a c5b 1985-1990
c3a c5b 1985-1990
new ivory 2nd,3rd generation
reinstall all black keys and reinstall all white keys or buffing key top.
never use keycleaner and never use damp cloth. wipe with only dry cloth.

c3e c5e c7e 1990-1994
new ivory 4th generation
wipe up with damp cloth.
key clearner only use for white key.

new ivory - cannot bleach.
real ivory - can bleach.

Pro-TAC tuning and repair service.
pro-tac.jpn.org/

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission