2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
80 members (Anglagard44, Abdol, Alex_Ki, agent8698, accordeur, anotherscott, adoser, 14 invisible), 658 guests, and 475 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
My thoughts and debates on Casio PX-5S after year of using
#2541936 05/21/16 10:08 AM
H
hag01 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
So I'm using this instrument for more then a year, and as you see in another post I opened, I considering to replace it.

So this is the reasons:
I still thinks the keypad and its action feels good(although my hands tend to slip on it).
The piano samples note by note is OK.

But when I'm playing complicated polyphonic music(Bach) fast, something got wrong, I can't seperate the voices I hear, It sounds like the voices blend together, Instead of hearing two voices(or more) on their own played the same time clearly.

So I still didn't decide if I'm going to buy a new digital piano or maybe connecting my Casio to pianoteq will solve my problem(with a lot smaller investment).

What do you think about al that?

My media composer Portfolio:
https://soundcloud.com/haggai-raveh
(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Re: My thoughts and debates on Casio PX-5S after year of using
hag01 #2541952 05/21/16 10:56 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
By trying out Pianoteq, the unpaid version, you should get a good idea of how it pairs with the PX-5S. The trial version is fully functional, except F#1, G#1, A#1, C#5, D#5, F#5, G#5 and A#5, are silenced. In this numbering system A-1 is the first note of an 88 key piano.

Edit Posting this picture to show the missing notes.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by TheodorN; 05/21/16 11:14 AM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
hag01 #2541960 05/21/16 11:28 AM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by hag01
So I still didn't decide if I'm going to buy a new digital piano or maybe connecting my Casio to pianoteq will solve my problem(with a lot smaller investment).

What do you think about al that?

Well, that is an easy one.

As mentioned in the previous post ...
Get the trial version (free) and try it.
If you like it, problem solved.

Don

Casio PX-S1000, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used), Focus Rite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Yamaha MG06 Mixer
hag01 #2541969 05/21/16 12:14 PM
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Worth trying the free version, for sure.

Are you able to separate the voices on other pianos? This is a challenge for anyone playing contrapuntal music, being able to bring out the part that they want to be heard (it's never all equal). I assume you're using the pedal sparingly or not at all?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Morodiene #2541972 05/21/16 12:22 PM
H
hag01 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Worth trying the free version, for sure.

Are you able to separate the voices on other pianos? This is a challenge for anyone playing contrapuntal music, being able to bring out the part that they want to be heard (it's never all equal). I assume you're using the pedal sparingly or not at all?

Not using pedal at all when playing Bach, and manage to separate the voices much more clearly on my real acoustic piano.

hag01 #2541973 05/21/16 12:23 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
But when I'm playing complicated polyphonic music(Bach) fast, something got wrong, I can't seperate the voices I hear, It sounds like the voices blend together, Instead of hearing two voices(or more) on their own played the same time clearly.

Some people say you cannot really play baroque music on a digital.

Richwood RD-17C-CE | LaMancha Rubi CM-N | Yamaha P-515
JoeT #2541983 05/21/16 12:45 PM
H
hag01 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by JoeT

Some people say you cannot really play baroque music on a digital.

Good to know!
So you saying it's not only a disadvantage of my Casio, But of most of the digital piano models out there, am I got you right?

Morodiene #2542012 05/21/16 01:57 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
If you get pianoteq, you can play Gymnopedie 2 without using those disabled notes. Betcha never knew that. . .P teq by the way, seems to work well with Casios. Some of the very best music Ive heard on Adult beginners recitals have been played using such a combination.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
hag01 #2542398 05/23/16 02:20 AM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Good one, peterws! smile
I'll give that one a try and name another piece: Italian Song by Tchaikovsky. You can also play it from start to finish, since it doesn't require any of the missing notes.

@hag01: +1. Just download the latest trial from the pianoteq and use a printer USB cable to connect your piano to the computer. With just a couple of minutes to configure it the first time, you'll be able to get it working properly. After that it's just opening the program and playing straight away.
I recommend testing the Model B and Bluethner in pianoteq. Have fun! smile

hag01 #2542419 05/23/16 04:35 AM
H
H
there are many reasons why you can't separate the voices, one major one would be the quality of the speaker or headphone you're using. You can try borrow a good pair of headphone from a friend and see if that helps.

hag01 #2542434 05/23/16 06:55 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi friend. You may want to get into the PX-5S settings and do some adjustments to see if that helps. Things like reverb, resonance, lid simulator, velocity dynamics, and even the stereo separation may be what is causing your issues.

There are also many other piano stage settings you can download for free at http://CasioMusicForums.com -- perhaps one of those would work better with Bach?

Just as a side note: I was surprised to hear your hands are "slipping" on the PX-5S keyboard. With the texture on those keys I find them to be quite good even with sweaty hands! You may want to try cleaning the keys with a *VERY* light soap solution and see if there is perhaps some oils or residue that got built up there over time.

I put a DROP of Dawn or other dish detergent in a bowl and then fill the bowl with warm water. I then use a microfiber towel and dip that in the water and clean the keyboard. Then I use another towel that is slightly damp with clear cold water to "rinse" the keys. Worth a shot.

Scott Hamlin #2542480 05/23/16 10:05 AM
H
hag01 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Scott Hamlin
Hi friend. You may want to get into the PX-5S settings and do some adjustments to see if that helps. Things like reverb, resonance, lid simulator, velocity dynamics, and even the stereo separation may be what is causing your issues.

There are also many other piano stage settings you can download for free at http://CasioMusicForums.com -- perhaps one of those would work better with Bach?

Just as a side note: I was surprised to hear your hands are "slipping" on the PX-5S keyboard. With the texture on those keys I find them to be quite good even with sweaty hands! You may want to try cleaning the keys with a *VERY* light soap solution and see if there is perhaps some oils or residue that got built up there over time.

I put a DROP of Dawn or other dish detergent in a bowl and then fill the bowl with warm water. I then use a microfiber towel and dip that in the water and clean the keyboard. Then I use another towel that is slightly damp with clear cold water to "rinse" the keys. Worth a shot.

Thank you my freind.
The truth is that I explored this issue in the last few days and what I found is:
That the problem is not that I can't separate the voices, but is that when I play bach the sound is mess and weird and not like my acoustic upright piano.
But I found the reason to this to: The problem is that my Casio behave a lot different than my acoustic upright piano and I couldn't manage to control the dynamic as I use to on my acoustic upright piano.
So after a research did two actions to solve this problem and now it's a lot better:
1. I changed the touch in the general setting to heavy.
2. I downloaded a tone from Casio official files that called GrPnoNarrow1 wich narrow the dynamic response.

If you have some more advices for this issue I'll be glad to listen, I still think the piano sound is too jumpy(jumps to maximum even with not so strong press on the keys).

hag01 #2542505 05/23/16 11:17 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Are you in our PX-5S Facebook Group? If not you should come over and join. We have over 2,700 members so you will be able to get a lot of suggestions.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Casio.Px5s/

hag01 #2542510 05/23/16 11:29 AM
C
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
C

. . .
Thank you my freind.
The truth is that I explored this issue in the last few days and what I found is:
That the problem is not that I can't separate the voices, but is that when I play bach the sound is mess and weird and not like my acoustic upright piano.
But I found the reason to this to: The problem is that my Casio behave a lot different than my acoustic upright piano and I couldn't manage to control the dynamic as I use to on my acoustic upright piano.
So after a research did two actions to solve this problem and now it's a lot better:
2. I downloaded a tone from Casio official files that called GrPnoNarrow1 wich narrow the dynamic response.

If you have some more advices for this issue I'll be glad to listen, I still think the piano sound is too jumpy(jumps to maximum even with not so strong press on the keys).

I also run my Casio PX-350 touch on "hard".

With Pianoteq, you can adjust either one of:

a) the total "dynamic range", from pp to ff, in decibels;

b) the "velocity curve" -- the relationship between how hard you strike the key, and the "MIDI velocity" that drives Pianoteq.

That gives you a _lot_ of freedom to make the touch-to-loudness relationship what you want it to be.

The "COMP" (compressor) effect in Pianoteq might also be useful. It will let you reduce the volume on the "FF" sections.

These adjustments could be put into DP's, and some of the middle-priced, and high-priced, models include them.

. . . but Pianoteq is _much less expensive_ than a new DP.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / EV ZXA1 speaker
Charles Cohen #2542514 05/23/16 11:32 AM
H
hag01 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen

. . .
Thank you my freind.

I also run my Casio PX-350 touch on "hard".

With Pianoteq, you can adjust either one of:

a) the total "dynamic range", from pp to ff, in decibels;

b) the "velocity curve" -- the relationship between how hard you strike the key, and the "MIDI velocity" that drives Pianoteq.

That gives you a _lot_ of freedom to make the touch-to-loudness relationship what you want it to be.

The "COMP" (compressor) effect in Pianoteq might also be useful. It will let you reduce the volume on the "FF" sections.

These adjustments could be put into DP's, and some of the middle-priced, and high-priced, models include them.

. . . but Pianoteq is _much less expensive_ than a new DP.

Can it be controlled with the minimal Stage version?

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A hauntingly beutiful piece you probably never heard
by pianoloverus - 12/04/20 02:29 PM
Them Donners and Lagrimas
by jeffcat - 12/04/20 02:21 PM
Ave Maria by Schubert
by ContentPiano - 12/04/20 02:17 PM
Roland LX706 Review
by Colin Miles - 12/04/20 06:41 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,258
Posts3,030,481
Members99,480
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission