Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
New in our online store...
Tea Light
Tea Light with Frosted Music Staff Candle Holder

-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
91 registered members (anotherscott, amad23, barbaram, 26 invisible), 1,154 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Why Do Classical Music Competitions Have Age Limits? #2541767
05/20/16 05:22 PM
05/20/16 05:22 PM
CA
W
woolmusic Offline OP
woolmusic  Offline OP
W
CA
I made this Youtube video and put the question out to the world to see what people had to say. Feel free to watch and comment.

Why Do Classical Music Competitions Have Age Limits?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Why Do Classical Music Competitions Have Age Limits? [Re: woolmusic] #2591473
12/01/16 09:42 AM
12/01/16 09:42 AM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
Pennsylvania
Well, we can speculate and argue on the reason for that but I would suggest that if you really wish to find out why they do that .... Ask them. Ask 3 or 4 of them and you should get some sort of general feel for the reason for it.

Then you can come back here and tell us.

Good Luck

Don

Current: ES8, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD598 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors
Re: Why Do Classical Music Competitions Have Age Limits? [Re: woolmusic] #2617810
02/24/17 11:45 PM
02/24/17 11:45 PM
Dublin
J
johnstaf Offline
johnstaf  Offline
J
Dublin
It's a good way of weeding out people. If they didn't, the same people might spend decades going from competition to competition. It's widely accepted that if you haven't become a superstar by your thirties (yes I know), you don't really have any chance of becoming a concert pianist. Most competitions claim to be a stepping stone to a career (yes I know), and they are not particularly interested in someone who made the second round of the Tchaikovsky competition in 1974.

With the Internet, the amateur competitions are gaining a higher profile, and with other career paths available to professional pianists, it's only a matter of time before someone who never made it in her youth gets noticed through her Youtube channel, becoming one of the world's most famous pianists, and landing a deal with Decca. Oh hang on a second...

Re: Why Do Classical Music Competitions Have Age Limits? [Re: woolmusic] #2619589
03/02/17 09:44 AM
03/02/17 09:44 AM
P
pianofan1017 Offline
pianofan1017  Offline
P
This is my question too. It's so unfortunate for adult folks. I didn't have the chance to study any music instrument during my youth because my parents were againsted. I started piano lesson the moment I have my own job and started earning for myself. I would really hope there are piano competitions out there just for adult students. I am not looking into becoming concert pianist. But I just want the experience. I want to be able to play sonatina and equivalent intermediate piece rather than the professional hard pieces currently required out there.

In Progress:
1.Debussy Arabasque1
2. Czerny 740 no 3
3. Mozart Sonata K330 1st Movement
4. Bach Prelude and Fugue in C Major
Re: Why Do Classical Music Competitions Have Age Limits? [Re: pianofan1017] #2620371
03/04/17 07:01 PM
03/04/17 07:01 PM
Hawaii
T
TheHappyPianoMuse Offline
500 Post Club Member
TheHappyPianoMuse  Offline
500 Post Club Member
T
Hawaii
Originally Posted by pianofan1017
This is my question too. It's so unfortunate for adult folks. I didn't have the chance to study any music instrument during my youth because my parents were againsted. I started piano lesson the moment I have my own job and started earning for myself. I would really hope there are piano competitions out there just for adult students. I am not looking into becoming concert pianist. But I just want the experience. I want to be able to play sonatina and equivalent intermediate piece rather than the professional hard pieces currently required out there.

I was one of the lucky ones who had supportive parents and wonderful teachers. I began at age nine ... which is late by some standards. I did the piano competitions and eventually made my way to New York and Juilliard on a Canada Council grant. Which covered my expenses for two years. Being short of money, I crammed as many courses as I could into those two years. Including extra summer courses at city College to get those extra academic credits

But the pressures began to overwhelm me and I had a nervous breakdown at the end of my sescond year. Music scores began to look like foreign hieroglyphs ... and my memory was in shambles. I scraped through that final exam. With mediocre marks.

I never played in public again. I left the West for twenty years in India, where I never touched a piano. When I returned to Canada and the USA ... I began to teach and found I loved it. But playing the piano brought me to tears. I had once been so accomplished and the years had taken their toll. I played snatches for my students and that was it.

Then about four years ago, I discovered You Tube. As a resource rather than mere entertainment. And was stunned by this resource. I could listen to dozens of the world's beat pianists. I could compare and analyze.

I began by posting my own compositions on You Tube and linking them to my two teaching/composition blogs. And discovered that I liked the lack of pressure ... that what had originally been my downfall, had evaporated. It didn't matter if my memory failed ... I'd scrap the clip or if it was sectional, I'd edit.

Then I remembered Glenn Gould who hated public performances ... and even preferred to tape in private. Now it all made sense. Now I could produce a piece of music when it was ready ... not cringing at the possibility of a slip of finger or memory.

My advice is to start with You Tube. Begin with simpler pieces and then post them. Forget about the tensions of competitions and dive into the sheer joy of performing for an audience without the stress. and believe me that stress is so overwhelming it eventually chased me away from my beloved piano for decades. Dive into You Tube. Listen and compare and then take the plunge.

I can almost guarantee you'll love it. laugh yippie

Re: Why Do Classical Music Competitions Have Age Limits? [Re: woolmusic] #2700938
12/31/17 12:54 PM
12/31/17 12:54 PM
pianopi Offline

pianopi  Offline

Just browsing past posts and found yours. I really agree with your comments, TheHappyPianoMuse. What I really enjoy about listening and watching youtube pianists is that you can watch things again and again, and watch the hands so closely (which you can't really at a live recital), and compare so many different styles, accomplishments and levels of playing.

It's also good to post own playing, as you say, because we see it in direct comparison to everyone else and our response to it (cringing or otherwise) is quite honest, I think, and keeps the standards up.

I do play at a couple of very nonthreatening live recitals too. My playing in those is still at the awful stage, but if we could do everything as it should be done, there'd be nothing left to do.

I found and subscribed to your youtube channel. Looking forward to listening to all your playing!

"Genius is not the sign of demigodliness, but the sign of having a profoundly practical mind" - anonymous

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTc4esj9xQG6NjLIr9an29Q
Re: Why Do Classical Music Competitions Have Age Limits? [Re: johnstaf] #2701048
12/31/17 08:46 PM
12/31/17 08:46 PM
Sydney NSW Australia
B
Bach_ingMaddie Offline
Bach_ingMaddie  Offline
B
Sydney NSW Australia
Originally Posted by johnstaf
It's a good way of weeding out people. If they didn't, the same people might spend decades going from competition to competition. It's widely accepted that if you haven't become a superstar by your thirties (yes I know), you don't really have any chance of becoming a concert pianist. Most competitions claim to be a stepping stone to a career (yes I know), and they are not particularly interested in someone who made the second round of the Tchaikovsky competition in 1974.

With the Internet, the amateur competitions are gaining a higher profile, and with other career paths available to professional pianists, it's only a matter of time before someone who never made it in her youth gets noticed through her Youtube channel, becoming one of the world's most famous pianists, and landing a deal with Decca. Oh hang on a second...

Like a sort of Susan Boyle of piano, you mean?

"Study Bach: there you will find everything" - Johannes Brahms.
Re: Why Do Classical Music Competitions Have Age Limits? [Re: woolmusic] #2701051
12/31/17 08:56 PM
12/31/17 08:56 PM
Sydney NSW Australia
B
Bach_ingMaddie Offline
Bach_ingMaddie  Offline
B
Sydney NSW Australia
Well for those who would like the thrill of competing and have that competitive edge, perhaps we could set up a Piano Competition subforum in the recitals part here, where we invite members to submit a piece and we could ask a couple of teachers if they would be kind enough to form a judges panel? Gold silver and bronze virtual medals etc.

The idea fills me, personally speaking, with absolute horror and terror, but each to their own.

I found it extremely hard to "perform" even for a mobile phone video of Silent Night to send to mysisters in England, so many re-starts and takes. Then to compound my misery I did another of Auld Lang Syne for their New Years Eve get-together AND EVEN rounded it off with the closing bars of We wish you a merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

I thought my performances were woeful but my sisters were thrilled to see me playing at my piano in a home they will probably never visit. (One doesnt fly, due to fear, the other has been once in the 90s and that's probably it for her - they are both mid 70s now)

Then I had to work out a way of uploading and transmitting the videos, video compression apps etc, took hours, I was at the point where I wished I had never had the idea in the first place.

Happy New Year everyone and no I am not posting my video on here!

Last edited by Bach_ingMaddie; 12/31/17 08:59 PM. Reason: Clarification

"Study Bach: there you will find everything" - Johannes Brahms.
Re: Why Do Classical Music Competitions Have Age Limits? [Re: Bach_ingMaddie] #2701060
12/31/17 09:38 PM
12/31/17 09:38 PM
Florida
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline
Silver Subscriber
Florida
Originally Posted by Bach_ingMaddie
Originally Posted by johnstaf

Like a sort of Susan Boyle of piano, you mean?

Like a Valentina lisitsa. 😊

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho
Re: Why Do Classical Music Competitions Have Age Limits? [Re: TheHappyPianoMuse] #2703147
01/08/18 11:30 AM
01/08/18 11:30 AM
UK
Jerzyk19 Offline
Jerzyk19  Offline
UK
Originally Posted by TheHappyPianoMuse
[quote=pianofan1017]My advice is to start with You Tube. Begin with simpler pieces and then post them. Forget about the tensions of competitions and dive into the sheer joy of performing for an audience without the stress. and believe me that stress is so overwhelming it eventually chased me away from my beloved piano for decades. Dive into You Tube. Listen and compare and then take the plunge.

I can almost guarantee you'll love it. laugh yippie

Very interesting story. I started to play piano at 43 (1.5 years ago), I'm using You Tube to show my music to family, friends and anybody tripping over my chanel . I'ts really great fun and it is almost stress free.

Re: Why Do Classical Music Competitions Have Age Limits? [Re: woolmusic] #2705010
01/15/18 03:56 AM
01/15/18 03:56 AM
Toronto, Canada
T
thepianoplayer416 Offline
thepianoplayer416  Offline
T
Toronto, Canada
The people who goes to music competitions are young aspiring musicians who are already playing at an advanced level but still considered amateur who are waiting to tour with various symphony orchestras. Some already made a name for themselves without having to enter a competition. Like James Rhodes from England who was a chance discovery in his 30s.

Recently went to a piano recital to see a Canadian pianist Ryan Wang (child prodigy) barely 10 years old. Performed the whole 40m concert from memory with a 10m intermission in between. When he was 5 years old, he won a competition, performed with the great Chinese pianist Yundi Li at a New Year concert in Beijing and appeared on the Ellen show. Even without entering a competition, just being on an American show like Kit Armstrong on the Late Show with David Letterman would give you enough exposure to get you playing with major symphony orchestras. Even being a contestant winner on America's or Britain's Got Talent would get you signed up with a few record labels.

There are amateur pianists who won competitions late in life but decided not to become professional. The name that came to mind was Thomas Yu from Calgary, Canada. He was trained as a medical doctor and plays piano as a hobby. Won a few competitions in his late 30s and performed with a few symphony orchestras while holding on his career as a MD.

Nowadays to get your performance noticed there is YouTube. About 2 months ago someone posted a video of a grandmother at age 100 playing an improvised version of a church hymn. Really impressed the audience.

Moderated by  Piano World 

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hello and a question about confidence
by SomethingCorporate. 06/20/18 07:59 AM
with my heart in my mouth.......
by Medved1. 06/19/18 08:49 PM
What Gives?
by keykeyzkeys. 06/19/18 08:28 PM
DX7?
by keykeyzkeys. 06/19/18 08:21 PM
Beethoven Pathétique Sonata 2nd movement
by dsw67. 06/19/18 07:24 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,066
Posts2,726,133
Members90,416
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission