2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
67 members (24000rpm, anotherscott, Beansparrow, BeeZee4, AWilley, accordeur, antune, Animisha, brdwyguy, 13 invisible), 642 guests, and 460 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
Hi guys,

Just realized there is a dedicated digital piano category on this forum. I wrote this in the main piano forum category by mistake...

I'm looking for a used digital piano, I don't have a huge budget. Would like to find something on CL for $350-$450 if possible. In that budget, what are some good models to look out for?

For example, I saw this today but have no idea if it is a good model. What do you think?... https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/5565397607.html
Or this one... https://bend.craigslist.org/msg/5520294591.html

Rick mentioned I should stretch the budget and go for something newer, which I think is good advice. Any other suggestions are welcomed.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The Kawai ES4 doesn't sound too bad, according to this demo, maybe a bit on the bright side, if I can judge it by my not too good laptop speakers. Specifications according to the manual, look fine.

Kawai James can probably tell you more, but the ES8, a few generations later, gets a lot of praise. One more thing to consider, older digitals mean older technology, which may or may not be a bad thing for you.

The Portland link doesn't work, at least not for me. This posting has expired. That's the message I get, wonder if it means it's sold.

Last edited by TheodorN; 05/09/16 04:30 PM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Off the top of my head:

You should try to avoid DP's older than 5 years or so. "High-end" features (and sound quality) have been migrating from "high-end" prices down to "low-end" prices, in that time frame.

In that price range, if you can find a Yamaha P105, or Casio PX-150, you'll have a good deal for a good DP.

Previous models (in those brands) are the P95 and PX-130.

I just checked the Portland Craigslist website for "digital piano". There's a Yamaha P115 for $575, with stand. A P95 for $525, with stand. A P-105 for $525, with stand.

I suggest that you stretch your budget (and maybe bargain!), and get one of those. I'd spring for the P115 (current production model), just because it's the newest. If you want something to learn on, any of those will be fine.

I don't see much in your quoted price range, with 88 weighted keys. There is a Roland FP-5 for $500. I suspect it was a very good keyboard when it was new, and it does have real MIDI connections, and other nice features. The specs are OK. I've never played one.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
J
OP Offline
J
Charles, thank you so much for the reply. All very helpful suggestions. I'm going to go to Guitar Center and try some of the models you listed and see what strikes me. Will report back when I find & buy something.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnbarnesiii

Note that the photograph appears to show a Kawai CN3, not an ES4.

It could be an honest mistake, however the name of the instrument is clearly marked on the front panel.

Regardless of the model being sold, both the CN3 and ES4 are over or approaching ten years old. In my opinion, you would be better off purchasing something a little more modern, or a brand new entry-level instrument.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks James. That seems to be the consensus among people here on the boards. I will heed everyone's advice and check out some newer DPs at Guitar Center. I'll report back once I've chosen one I like for purchase. Kind regards.

F
F
If you shop them on line Guitar Center has used piano's for sale. I paid $400 + $50 for shipping to get my P105.

Kawai ES8
Yamaha P105
Yamaha YPT220

A lack of talent does not stop you from learning piano. It just takes longer and you have to work harder.

[Linked Image]
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
I started out with a Casio CDP-230 from the Costco website and it cost me about $400, delivered to my door.

Perhaps you might want to look at something like that. It has fully weighted keys and sounds pretty good.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
J
OP Offline
J
I just played the p115 at guitar center and loved it. I see the previous, used p105 in great condition online for $400 plus $40 shipping = $440. I'm thinking of seriously going for that one.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Hi, IMHO this Yamaha is a decent choice for the price... in a budget you could try Casio PX120/130. Cheers!.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
A used P105 for $440 is a good deal. The keyboard action is the same as the P115, and I think the sound generator is, also.

If you liked one, you'll like the other.

Good luck --

. Charles
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Followup:

Check the Guitar Center website for used gear. There are two used P105's for around $350. I don't know how much shipping costs would be. They are "piano only" -- not full kits with stand, etc.

But $440 delivered isn't out of line.

. Charles
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks Charles, so its between a used P105 for $350 (might be a small shipping fee) or I can get a new P115 for $510. Which do you recommend I go for?

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
If I remember right, there's not much difference between the P105 and the P115. They use the same keyboard action (Yamaha GHS), and similar sound generators.

The P115 has "Line Out" jacks, which are useful for recording and running external speakers, but not necessary -- you can use the "Phone" jack instead.

It also has "sound boost", which I've never tested.

If money is tight, I'd be inclined toward the P105. The first owner has taken a hit on depreciation, Yamaha sold a gazillion of them, and (if and when you want to upgrade) you can probably re-sell for about what you paid.

Have fun!

. Charles
The P-105 also have line outs. smile

The speaker system is slightly different. P-115 has smaller tweeters on top. P-105 has larger tweeters inside.
The difference in practice is minor.

Additional for the P-115:
A nice Mellow Piano has replaced one of the E-pianos.
The possibility to turn the speakers off and on
Sound boost as refereed to above, for the cutting edge in the sound in a live situation
Some additional rythms
Added the possibility to control and save the settings through an Ipad

Peace

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'd be inclined to go with the P115 new for $510, if there is any possibility you can cover the extra cost. It's only $60 over your budget, and compared to a used P105, the difference is about the same, if there is a shipping cost.

A new instrument has warranty, not a used one, at least not if it's more than three years old, which is the longest warranty time, I believe. Something bought new out of a store, gives you more piece of mind, than a used thing bought second hand.

You can never know in which condition, an old digital piano is. Having to ship it, introduces even more risks. I'm not sure how much insurance is provided in regular shipping, so take this last paragraph with a grain of salt.

Last edited by TheodorN; 05/18/16 01:19 PM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
J
OP Offline
J
Hey guys just an update, I finally made the purchase!!

A used Yahama P105 in good condition for $345.

Wanted to thank all of you for your guidance with this. You have all been so helpful.
In the end I went with the P105 (over a new P115) due to budgetary restrictions.

Will report back with some notes on how it plays soon.

Thanks once again smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congrats, a good choice, it will serve you well. Happy playing!

Me on YouTube

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Congratulations my friend. I hope you enjoy it a lot!. Cheers.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Very good choice (but I might be biased!<g>) . . .

Have fun playing --

. Charles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Logo of the Future - Steingraeber
by Skjalg - 04/19/21 10:47 AM
Practuce With Czerny
by BbAltered - 04/19/21 10:05 AM
What to check when getting a new piano
by Dong Huynh - 04/19/21 05:13 AM
Standchen which version of sheet music ?
by jzmeister1 - 04/19/21 03:47 AM
Strings termination
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 04/19/21 03:04 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,395
Posts3,084,114
Members101,239
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission