Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
62 registered members (Animisha, BeeZee4, Bett, akc42, ando, AZNpiano, 17 invisible), 1,131 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
Re: Recital 42 --- General Discussion Room [Re: INBoston] #2540072
05/15/16 06:48 PM
05/15/16 06:48 PM
Seminole, Florida, USA
Kenan Offline
Kenan  Offline

Seminole, Florida, USA

47. Kenan - Op 3 No 2 (3 pages.) Seriously? Only a year and a half of playing? You must be a prodigy ☺. Loved this, amazing job despite minor flaws that I didn’t even notice.

Thank you.
I will be updating and posting the piece in a few weeks smile

-Kenan
Pearl River EU122 48"
I've been playing piano with a teacher
since January '15
Studying under Eunmi Ko of USF as of June '16

My Youtube Channel

My Soundcloud

I also love Astronomy
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Recital 42 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2540074
05/15/16 06:50 PM
05/15/16 06:50 PM
Boston
I
INBoston Offline
INBoston  Offline
I

Boston
Thank you so much to those who commented on my piece. I credit this progress to my teacher who does not cut me slack and picks things apart (in a nice way). Every week I resist the urge to argue, and then I go home, tail between my legs, practice, and realize she was right. LOL.

Yamaha U1
Yamaha CLP 545
Re: Recital 42 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2540080
05/15/16 07:10 PM
05/15/16 07:10 PM
Maine
Peyton Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Peyton  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Maine
49. Shubertian- Wow, very interesting. I have not listened to Cage in so long. What a treat.

44. Sam- Interesting Sam. I can't get over the fact that you memorized this without playing it? Could you listen to a recording of it or would that be cheating? Kind of an exciting piece.

42. lyricmudra- Absolutely lovely!!! You made my evening. Such a poignant moving piece. Wonderfully played.

36. joangolfing- Very nice. You keep it moving well.

35. SwissMs- Lovely playing. You have a wonderful feel for this delicate work.

32. Monica-As always I look forward to hearing your latest. This is by no means one of my favorite Einaudi pieces but you do it justice. Well played

"Nothing moves...where would it go?"
www.youtube.com/Biffer5
www.peytonart.com

Re: Recital 42 --- General Discussion Room [Re: ElaineAllegro] #2540086
05/15/16 07:24 PM
05/15/16 07:24 PM
Italy
f3r Offline
f3r  Offline

Italy
Originally Posted by PianogrlNW
52 f3r Mark - I really enjoyed your Field Nocturne.

Thank you, I'm glad to be on your list. The result is worth the amount of frustration and work I put on this piece, I'm quite happy.

Originally Posted by ElaineAllegro
m 19 and 21, the middle of the long hairpin sets (and again on the last page where the same figure shows up), you seem to be holding the first chord of the first triplet in the measure (with e-flat at the top) twice as long as it should be, as if for emphasis. (Related: You might find it interesting to look at Seymour Bernstein’s book “Chopin: Interpreting His Notational Symbols,” which discusses hairpins in Chopin, about broadening or lingering around the place where the hairpins are the most open.)

I know what you're talking about, that's why that chord is emphasised but apparently it's not the way I should've played that. My initial idea was to emphasise that chord only during the bigger crescendo in the last page but I ended up playing that way each time. I listened attentively to some pro pianists playing these sections and nobody does what I do, haha... Never mind, I will correct that.
I think I almost nailed it during that bigger crescendo in the last page but then I leaned onto that chord again. Also, it seems that I keep accenting the top notes on measure 20/21 (same on the last page) which is not indicated and not what I want.

The other is something I am constantly grappling with: the scalar double thirds in ~m28, leggierissimo. You seem to lift when moving between sets of these. Try sliding or shifting your hand along the tops of the keys to the next position, for even more legato/less lost motion.

Actually, I practised this section as you said which gives a great feeling of effortless gliding on the keys but I can get it only by playing it slower than in the recording, any faster and the results are not always good. The motion is still not in my hands, I have to practise more. The video doesn't show my idea of how to play these double thirds correctly, in fact I felt uncomfortable and not confident... I was too focused on not missing any note. It's a miracle I was able to get through that!

Thank you for your valuable feedback, I'm going to let this piece rest for some time and work again on it in June.

Mark

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA97 | YouTube
Re: Recital 42 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Peyton] #2540093
05/15/16 07:46 PM
05/15/16 07:46 PM
Georgia, USA
Sam S Offline

3000 Post Club Member
Sam S  Offline

3000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by Peyton

44. Sam- Interesting Sam. I can't get over the fact that you memorized this without playing it? Could you listen to a recording of it or would that be cheating? Kind of an exciting piece.

I probably wasn't clear. I played it plenty of times while memorizing it, just never while looking at the music. Memorize a section without playing it, close the music, play it. This piece is well suited to this exercise.

Sam

Re: Recital 42 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2540113
05/15/16 08:42 PM
05/15/16 08:42 PM
Queensland Australia
MarieJ Offline
Gold Subscriber
MarieJ  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Queensland Australia
Another wonderful Recital! I love being given this quarterly opportunity to join with so many dedicated Adult Beginners in the differing stages of the journey, and to cheer them on their way. No prizes for guessing which composer I’m starting with smile .

03. MarieJ - High Heels (Me.) Anyone know the story behind this title?

18. Medden (Simon) - Nuvole Bianche Simon, this is also one of my favourite Einaudi pieces, and in an interview somewhere I heard Einaudi say it was one of his, too. A particularly impressive performance given your relatively short time at the piano, and the fact that it’s not one of the easiest of his compositions. Loved it!

30. CarlosCC - Brothers I always look forward to your submissions, Carlos, and I’m never disappointed. As usual, any changes you make to the score seem to enhance the mood - Einaudi would definitely approve. Fabulous, spirited rendition of this tricky piece.

32. Monica K. - The Water Diviner I never knew that these themes existed. It was an absolute treat to hear this piece for the first time, so beautifully played. Congratulations on a superb performance, and on being the first to bring ‘The Water Diviners’ to YouTube, to further inspire your many admirers (and particularly Einaudi devotees) around the world.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-LIV

My C3 - solace.
Re: Recital 42 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Sam S] #2540117
05/15/16 08:46 PM
05/15/16 08:46 PM
Maine
Peyton Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Peyton  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Maine
Originally Posted by Sam S
Originally Posted by Peyton

I probably wasn't clear. I played it plenty of times while memorizing it, just never while looking at the music. Memorize a section without playing it, close the music, play it. This piece is well suited to this exercise.

Sam

No you were clear… I just wasn't. So you look at the music, memorize it, close the music and then try to play it. Interesting exercise. I'm not sure I could do it.

"Nothing moves...where would it go?"
www.youtube.com/Biffer5
www.peytonart.com

Re: Recital 42 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2540126
05/15/16 09:07 PM
05/15/16 09:07 PM
Florida
R
Riddler Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Riddler  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

Florida
09. UnderConstruction - Sonata 14
Wow, I am green with envy! What an accomplishment! That of course is my ultimate favorite piece of piano music and I would love to be able to play it. Amazing that you have memorized the whole thing, I am in awe.

10. Pianogrlnw (Ellen) - Nocturne in E minor Op 72 No 1
Ellen, that was beautifully done, very expressive. And your left hand work is truly awesome.

13. Newbert - The Nearness of You
Well done, Bert. One of my fav standards and I enjoyed your version of it. I especially liked the way you slipped in the B chord ahead of the C chord at the end.

14. Inlanding - Glen - Prelude E minor Op 28 No 4
Beautifully done, Glen, I loved listening to it. This is one of the most popular pieces on these recitals, and it never fails to satisfy. I am inspired - perhaps some day I will try it myself.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

Re: Recital 42 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2540131
05/15/16 09:18 PM
05/15/16 09:18 PM
El Paso
E
Edtek Offline
Edtek  Offline
E

El Paso
I listened to all the submissions and am very impressed with all the talent and recording prowess displayed by all. As a first cut here are a few comments on some that caught my untutored ear.

02. INBoston - Waltz Am posth: Very nice piece and so nicely played! BTW: I do the same thing, play the acoustic for fun and record on the digi :-) It’s impossible to record the acoustic without extraneous noises and getting the mic placement right is so difficult for me.

05. peterws - 4 Notes, 4 Chords: Wonderful melodic improv! You have a very nice musical sense Peter. . Hey, wait a minute! Is it 3 notes and chords (per vid) or 4 notes and chords? :-)

13. Newbert - The Nearness of You: I really liked the arrangement and the backing track. Is this arrangement in a book? I looked up ChordPulse. I guess it’s much like Band in a Box which I have. I haven’t used BIAB much but I think I will try making a few backing tracks for the standards I like to play. It certainly adds a lot to the arrangement.

16. Peyton - The Hours: Enjoyed listening to and watching this cool piece! Liked the emotional performance!

18. Medden Simon - Nuvole Bianche: Never tire of listening to this great piece and you did it so well. One of these days I will be able to play an Einaudi piece, sigh.

28. Jen Weir - Patterns in the Ivy: I have not seen anybody on YT actually have the nerve and the ability to play one of Vika’s arrangements. Very nice! Think you could do “last of the Mohicans”? Of course you would have to magically grow a 3rd hand as she does at 3:12 :-)

31. Inkwolf - Cruella DeVil: Neat piece and you played it very smoothly! Where did you get the sheet music? Seems like a nice piece to try.

32. Monica K. - The Water Diviner: A nice Einaudi piece and you are so good at playing him. As I mentioned to Medden: one of these days, Einaudi.

33. joturCathy Turner - Well Hall: What a pretty piece and played so well Cathy. I kinda got burned out on Baroque when I played in a recorder consort but this piece is so pretty.

34. Cat_W Katharina Wittfeld - Awakening Erwachen: Really nice piece and composed by your teacher! How wonderful to have a talented teacher and the great ability to play his piece so well.

43. Ken. - Straight No Chaser: Very cool piece and slickly played!

48. Yamaha G3 P-80 Mike White - Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: Really nice by ear arrangement. Envy that ability so much!

58. Edtek22 Ed Jensen - I Could Write a Book: Just wanted to mention that I played this on my digital because it is such a pain trying to acoustically record from my piano: dogs barking, telephones ringing, mic placement etc. I still play the piano for enjoyment (although the P255 is the nicest digital I’ve tried) but record on the digi.

Ed (Out in the West Texas town of El Paso)
Yamaha P255
Re: Recital 42 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2540142
05/15/16 09:58 PM
05/15/16 09:58 PM
Orange County, California
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Orange County, California
Many of these pieces are well above me so I can't comment or provide suggestions on what could be better, if anything. I downloaded all of the mp3s and uploaded to my Google Play account, so I can pretty much stream to any device now smile Here are some comments.

01. wouter79 - Alla Turca, Rondeau from sonata no.11 K331 (1783)

Very nice. I appreciate the additional info provided, always something new to learn.

02. INBoston - Waltz Am (posth.)

What did you have to eat? ;0 I don't think I ever heard this piece before. You play very well.

03. MarieJ - High Heels

This is now a permanent piece on my phone. Beautiful. Einaudi stuff makes me want to cry ;0

I paused at this point because I read you used Pianoteq, which I never heard of before. I spent some time playing with it and my digital piano and may have fun with this. One thing I struggle with on this digital piano is the dynamic range. The acoustic piano during lessons is much better in this respect. I've been playing around with the touch settings which seem to affect the velocity in Pianoteq. I can see a dramatic difference between setting changes. Sorry to digress but I think I'll spend some time learning about Pianoteq. Perhaps I can use it to tweak notes ;0

11. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Minuet in G minor, G Major, D minor

I really enjoyed this. Menuet in G Minor is on my near future list, but it's in book 4 of Masterwork Classics. I'll take a stab at it soon smile

51. raaubucho - Village Dance

Ralph, very nice! I like this piece. It motivates me to give it a try. If I remember correctly, it's in the first Alfred's Masterwork classics book.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Recital 42 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Edtek] #2540159
05/15/16 11:06 PM
05/15/16 11:06 PM
I
Inkwolf Offline
Inkwolf  Offline
I

Originally Posted by Edtek

31. Inkwolf - Cruella DeVil: Neat piece and you played it very smoothly! Where did you get the sheet music? Seems like a nice piece to try.

Thanks Edtek! It's out of a book called The Disney Collection (easy piano.) The same arrangement is available on Musicnotes.com, and there are lots of different arrangements around. I chose it because it's a song I don't mind hearing a million times as I practice, and also because, even though it's something I've played on my trumpet in the past, it always felt to me like more of a piano kind of song.

"Are we there yet ?"--dmd
Re: Recital 42 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2540163
05/15/16 11:32 PM
05/15/16 11:32 PM
Near Yosemite, California
MeganR Offline

Silver Subscriber
MeganR  Offline

Silver Subscriber

Near Yosemite, California
Before I begin, I would like to express my appreciation for everyone who works so hard on these recitals, I am so inspired by them. I enjoy so much hearing all the wonderful music - I can get lost in just listening.

01. wouter79 - Alla Turca, Rondeau from sonata no.11 K331 (1783) So lively and the perfect tempo, really enjoyed listening.

02. INBoston - Waltz Am (posth.) I do love a waltz and your rendition of this one is just gorgeous and such a pleasure.

03. MarieJ - High Heels I was so busy enjoying listening to this I didn't notice any blunders - how lovely you were able to submit to the recital after working so hard on the piece

04. Michiyo-Fir (Jade) - Arabesque No 1 Beautiful, like floating down a stream.

05. peterws - 4 Notes, 4 Chords! Nowhere special you say? That "nowhere" was captivating and intriguing, kept me wondering where will it go next? Some great surprises!

06. torquenale (Alessandra) - Wintertime II I wasn't familiar with this piece, it does have an ominous tone at times, you played so well. (And I'm glad you left in the visit from the weather!)

And a couple shoutouts to my buddies in the Alfred's threads:

45. bSharp[C]yclist (Dan) - The Little Beggar - Op. 123, No. 2 - Gretchaninoff Great job - you kept working on this piece and it shows, this was super. I had to go back to your soundcloud to compare to the first version you posted smile

54. blackjack1777 - Whistling Away the Dark Oh, you did such a great job with this piece, so evocative and yearning. Well done!

Schumann - Sheherazade Op. 68 No 32, Ravel Prelude in A minor 1913, Scarlatti Sonata in D Minor K32/ Soundcloud

[Linked Image]
Re: Recital 42 --- General Discussion Room [Re: ElaineAllegro] #2540169
05/15/16 11:57 PM
05/15/16 11:57 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland

26. outo - Prelude Op. 5-3 - Kabalevsky
This is one of those pieces that looks easier than it turns out to be, because the notes seem to line up so evenly on the page. (I am working on #1 and #2 in this set for a prelude recital, tried out #3 and #4 but not sure I’ll take them on right now, so was eagerly waiting to hear you play this.) My sense is the “getting familiar with the notes” stage takes a lot longer than usual with this piece. There’s a lot of strategizing: how to cover the big LH triplet stretches and LH 10th chords. You’ve got the hardest part done, so please keep going! It will be lovely in just a few weeks. A few suggestions when you’re even more comfortable with the overall structure: bring in all the dynamics, much lighter LH, and try not to accent the 1st note of each triplet, so it’s all one big flowing ocean of molto tranquillo. (P.S. Does your edition have *) near a lot of the dynamic markings? I can’t find an explanation in Schirmer, but maybe it means not in the original manuscript?) Hope your newly tuned piano will inspire more experimenting with this piece.

Thanks Elaine!

I'm afraid I already dropped this piece. I tried to bring it back so that I would not miss this recital. The whole recording process was hurried and in addition I messed up the recorder settings so ended up with something very quiet. Not that it matters, I have given up trying to make anything sound balanced on my upright, the bass is just too loud compared to the other registers. Trying to ease up on the bass notes ends up with no sound.

For some reason this piece has been a nightmare to memorize. It took me months and I still end up forgetting random measures so I just tried to get myself through somehow until I got back on track. There's a lot of complicated fingerings defying logic with redistributing notes between hands to cover everything and if the muscle memory fails I just get lost. Generally I am stuck between two evils really in my piano playing: Cannot play with the score due to my visual-cognitive disorder and at the same time memorization and playing from memory is extremely difficult for me. Usually not quite this difficult though smile

I originally liked this set because it's quite "Scriabinesque" but thought it would be easier. Now I am learning a few Scriabin preludes and it seems they are less difficult for me...maybe just because they are shorter

Not sure what the asterixes could mean in your score, but if you want to see mine, PM me.

Re: Recital 42 --- General Discussion Room [Re: INBoston] #2540193
05/16/16 03:20 AM
05/16/16 03:20 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Tubbie0075 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Tubbie0075  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted by INBoston
Originally Posted by Tubbie0075

Was the difference between the first forte section and the piano middle natural or a function of the recording?

I hope you are trying to say that my recording device (Zoom H4N) is very good at capturing the dynamic contrast. If that was not what you meant, there's no other way for me to read your comment other than you suggesting that I cheated.

Oh gosh, no! I did not at all imply that you cheated, why would you do that?

I'm glad you didn't mean it that way :-)

Be your ♮ self
YouTube channel

Studying:
  • Chopin: Ballade No. 4
  • Rachmaninov: Prelude No. 5 (Gm)
  • Ravel: Pavane for Dead Princess
  • Bach-Rachmaninov: Gavotte
Re: Recital 42 --- General Discussion Room [Re: ElaineAllegro] #2540194
05/16/16 03:27 AM
05/16/16 03:27 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Tubbie0075 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Tubbie0075  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Melbourne, Australia
Preludes

23. Tubbie0075 - Prelude No. 20, Op 28
It felt just right to listen to this prelude right after the E minor prelude. As always, an excellent performance – so please take my ideas in the spirit of experimenting with the sound, because there are so many options with this very short piece. I didn’t hear the uneven pulse you mentioned, but felt you could make more of the dynamics. So, a few ideas: more ritard at the end of the p section (m. 8); one of my teachers suggested some crescendo m. 7-8 so that going into pp in m. 9 would seem like even more of a contrast. Also consider ritard in the last 3 measures. It’s interesting, different recordings have the last chord either ff or pp. (f and ff are in brackets in the urtext, fwiw.) Whichever you decide, a hesitation before going deep into that chord would make it seem even more final.

Those are really good tips. I struggle to be free with my tempo, and always worry about loosing my sense of pulse. The tip about crescendo before pp to highlight the dynamic difference is gold! My Urtext (G. Henle Verlag) edition has crescendo to F then FF at the very end. But somehow I decided to only crescendo to MF during recording. Don't ask me why. It was spur of the moment decision :-P

Be your ♮ self
YouTube channel

Studying:
  • Chopin: Ballade No. 4
  • Rachmaninov: Prelude No. 5 (Gm)
  • Ravel: Pavane for Dead Princess
  • Bach-Rachmaninov: Gavotte
Re: Recital 42 --- General Discussion Room [Re: INBoston] #2540197
05/16/16 03:38 AM
05/16/16 03:38 AM
Queensland, Australia
PikaPianist Offline
PikaPianist  Offline

Queensland, Australia
38. PikaPianist - Humoresque Op.101, No.7 Oh, I simply adore this piece. May just have to learn it some day. Your playing is superb as usual. Did you add the jazzy elements or are they in the original?

Jazzy elements? I'm not sure of which parts you mean? In terms of notes, I stuck pretty closely to the original score. I had much fun though experimenting with different articulations, especially the bouncy parts smile

"Without music, life would Bb."

Piano: Estonia L210 (2018)
VST: VI Labs Ravenscroft
My channel: www.youtube.com/c/MXChan
Re: Recital 42 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Riddler] #2540231
05/16/16 07:14 AM
05/16/16 07:14 AM
Upstate New York, USA
N
newbert Offline
1000 Post Club Member
newbert  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N

Upstate New York, USA
I haven't had a chance to listen to the recital yet, but wanted to at least respond to the comments about my submission so far. First of all, thank you for commenting. Your feedback is always great to get.

JoBert - Yes, I guess that the ChordPulse sound is quite distinctive. I didn't want the backing track too loud to make sure that the piano is clearly heard. In retrospect, it could certainly have been a bit louder.

SwissMS - I'm glad that you liked the use of the backing track, as this was a first for me.

INBoston - Glad you liked it. Yes, while a DP is certainly not an acoustic, it does provide certain fun functions to play with.

casinitaly - Thanks. Anytime music makes you think of your sweetie makes it a success!

Riddler - Glad you liked it! The sheet music slipped in that B chord. I just followed the score! smile

Edtek - The arrangement is based upon Norah Jones' cover of it, which I found on Youtube. The sheet music came from sheetmusicdirect.us. I also have Band-in-a-Box but only use it rarely due to its complexity. FYI, I learned about ChordPulse somewhere here on PW (Don't recall exactly where). For approx. $20, it is well worth the purchase if you want to play along with simple backing tracks. And it's very easy to use.

Bert
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Recital 42 --- General Discussion Room [Re: JoBert] #2540238
05/16/16 08:06 AM
05/16/16 08:06 AM
Germany
JoBert Offline
2000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Germany
Back again with my second half. Today happens to be a (rainy/cool) holiday around here, so I could spend another nice and quiet morning and early afternoon listening at all the great recital pieces.
Again: Great playing everyone, thanks for your submissions and for making this so enjoyable, and please excuse me that I'm only giving short comments...

30. CarlosCC - Brothers Another nice Einaudi piece, very nicely played. Thank you.

31. Inkwolf - Cruella DeVil I must admit that I never saw the 101 Dalmatians, but at least I learned who Cruella is when reading the story to my son. smile Nicely played, very good progress for 5 months! I'm sure you'l get the recording static under control.

32. Monica K. - The Water Diviner Beautifully played, with good expression and feeling.

33. jotur/Cathy Turner - Well Hall A very nice dance indeed, and lively played. It probably doesn't come as a surprise when I say that English country dancing is not 100% my area of expertise wink , but I think I could see them swirling in my imagination.

34. Cat_W (Katharina Wittfeld) - Awakening (Erwachen) A beautiful piece, and beautifully played too. Thanks for including the link to the Wunderverlag, I'll put this on my mental list for possible future pieces...

35. SwissMS/Doris - Shui Cao Wu (Dance of the Watergrass)) Very nice piece, and your playing brought out the Asian feeling very well.

36. joangolfing - Prelude BWV 928 (F Major) Well played, enjoyable to listen to. Since you mentioned that you were focusing on keeping a regular speed, I feel allowed to nitpick, that you didn't quite achieved your goal there. You slowed down a bit a few times (and then returned to the original speed again). Not very noticeably so, though...

37. sinophilia - Karma Very nice piece that I didn't know before. Thanks for introducing me. And well played!

38. PikaPianist - Humoresque Op.101, No.7 I really liked that one and thought you played it perfectly. I thought the "bouncy" touch, especially the very pronounced staccato, fit very well.

40. Piano Primo 1 - Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me Well played and enjoyable to listen to!

41. _silvia_ - Sweet Reverie, Op 39, 21 Very nice. Although it's a trope, I have to add: "especially after only 15 months"! Played with very good expression.

42. lyricmudra - Adagio, Concerto No. 3 in D Minor for Solo Keyboard, BWV 974 I liked that. Both the piece and your playing. I guess I have to look into the field of transcriptions a bit myself. smile

43. Ken. - Straight No Chaser A nice catchy blues tune, nicely played.

44. Sam S - The Great Smoky Mountains Nice piece, and kudos for the memorization exercise (interesting method, btw). I also liked the technical quality of the recording and the sound of your restored Bechstein!

45. bSharp[C]yclist (Dan) - The Little Beggar - Op. 123, No. 2 - Gretchaninoff Wow! Very nice after so short a time at the piano! No, let me rephrase that: Very nice, full-stop!

46. Khopin - Nocturne E Flat Mayor - Op9 No. 2 I myself have not really played much Chopin yet, only dipped my toes in, and this is one of the pieces I've started on for a bit. Still a long way to go for me until I can play it as beautifully as you. Especially those RH almost-trills at the end tie knots into my fingers and I envy how seemingly effortless you played them! Very nice!

47. Kenan - Op 3 No 2 (3 pages.) Great playing, but, to be absolutely honest (no offense intended), I would have liked it even more if you had waited until a later recital when you have the whole piece down...

48. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Smoke Gets in Your Eyes Very nice. I could close my eyes and mentally transport me to a lounge or cocktail bar, with you playing in the background. smile

49. Schubertian - In a Landscape Interesting piece, well played, but, I must admit (and as you wrote yourself), the term "boring" also comes to mind. frown Not the fault of the pianist though. I fear I just won't become a Cage fan any time soon...

50. Philzpiano - Metamorphosis 1 Well played, very lyrical and with good expression.

51. raaubucho - Village Dance Nice to hear a Czerny Piece that isn't just an exercise. Well played, and I think that you've already gotten very good regarding the evenness in the LH.

52. f3r (Mark) - Nocturne No.5 in B flat Major (Leschetizky version) A very beautiful nocturne and very beautifully played!

53. noobpianist90 - Sonatina Op. 36 No. 1 Ah yes, a well known piece that probably most piano pupils with a classic education will play at some point. And for good reason, because it is a very nice piece. I liked your playing and presentation of it.

54. blackjack1777 - Whistling Away the Dark Very nice. I enjoyed listening to it.

55. Alexander borro - One For The Reaper A nice piece and you played it well. But to be brutally honest (no offense intended): I didn't like the synth pad. Until I had read to that part in your description, I thought I was hearing a recording artifact... frown

56. chopinoholic (Paul de Koning) - Scherzo op.31 B flat minor Masterful! This is so far above my own level that I can only comment with how much I liked it! I also wanted to compliment your recording quality: As far as I remember, of all the acoustic piano recordings in the recital, this one was the one with the best quality. Almost studio like. Re the page turn problem: That's why I ditched paper and switched to a tablet with a page turn foot pedal. I hate page turns, but also hate memorizing, so I resorted to throwing technology at the problem. smile

57. ajames - Jellybean Blues A nice blues with a nice drive in the bass. If I may nitpick: For my taste, it could do with a bit more of a "swing feeling" (you know, in the direction of triplet eighths)...

58. Edtek22 (Ed Jensen) - I Could Write a Book That's a nice tune. Well played and enjoyable to listen to.

59. Greener / Jeff - Db Nocturne To be honest: Yes, it's obvious that this still needs a good bit of work, but one could also hear that it's on a good track to get there. So it served your purpose of "showing where you're at with it". I still enjoyed listening to it.

Re: Recital 42 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2540241
05/16/16 08:14 AM
05/16/16 08:14 AM
W
wouter79 Offline
5000 Post Club Member
wouter79  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
W

47. Kenan
piece:Op 3 No 2, first 3 pages.

technical:
clipping: no
balance L/R: ok
noise: some clicking, probably the pedal.
bass: Some more solid bass would be desirable for Rachmaninoff
depth of field: ok
piano sound: ok for heavy pedaled pieces like this.

musical:
overall impression, like: great that you can play this already at only one and a half year of playing! You have the notes and a clear idea where you want to have it. I suppose you play this from memory, which is also great imho.
The lento part sounds good. You do nice rubatos, the dynamics are good, good job.
Unfortunately the piece seems to fall apart in the agitato second part. You have the overall feel, most of the notes and the speed, but much else got lost. The melody line gets lost in the rest. I can't hear half of the melody. The sound becomes blurry (too much pedal?) and it seems you do not have this part stable yet - notes drop, clarity gets lost, hickups. Also the dynamics are mixed up. You already start way louder than seems necessary, you skip the dim on p.3, etc. You are making one big crescendo instead. Part of this probably is technical issues. You have a teacher?
Phrasing: good choices.
rubato, speed changes: you have a good feel for the rubato and speed changes.
Dynamics: good in the lento part. Messed up in the agitato part.
articulation: mostly pedal. In the lento part, a number of times you keep the pedal a bit too long, causing chords to mix too much. The agitato part is overpedaled. You take back pedal in the fff section of the agitato part, I think this helps and gives a lot more clarity and clearer phrasing. Maybe you can get some of that clarity in the rest of the agitato part.

Last edited by wouter79; 05/16/16 08:14 AM.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Recital 42 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2540243
05/16/16 08:22 AM
05/16/16 08:22 AM
Georgia, USA
Sam S Offline

3000 Post Club Member
Sam S  Offline

3000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
Starting at the end (because I can!). Lots of great submissions this time. I like to keep my comments short and positive - I think it's important that we listen to the contributions, whether we have time to comment on everything or not...

45. bSharp[C]yclist (Dan) - The Little Beggar - Op. 123, No. 2 - Gretchaninoff Great progress for just 5 months! Keep it up.

46. Khopin - Nocturne E Flat Mayor - Op9 No. 2 Very sensitive playing! Loved the trills.

47. Kenan - Op 3 No 2 (3 pages.) Very impressive - a good start! Maybe a little sloppy on the pedaling?

48. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Smoke Gets in Your Eyes This is by ear? Fantastic!

49. Schubertian - In a Landscape You turned boring into interesting!

50. Philzpiano - Metamorphosis 1 Loved it! Even though I don't really care for Glass (should I say that?).

51. raaubucho - Village Dance You're making great progress - keep it up!

52. f3r (Mark) - Nocturne No.5 in B flat Major (Leschetizky version) Loved it! You sound great for only 8 months - a lot of nuance for someone so new to the piano.

53. noobpianist90 - Sonatina Op. 36 No. 1 Nice dynamics and control - we all have to play this at some point, don't we?

54. blackjack1777 - Whistling Away the Dark Very well done! Love the moody feel of Mancini/Mercer.

55. Alexander borro - One For The Reaper Never seen the show, but it definitely has a certain spooky feeling to it - and so sad...

56. chopinoholic (Paul de Koning) - Scherzo op.31 B flat minor Excellent! The playing and the recording are just outstanding. Except for the page turns!

57. ajames - Jellybean Blues Short and sweet - very cool!

58. Edtek22 (Ed Jensen) - I Could Write a Book Nicely done - very smooth!

59. Greener / Jeff - Db Nocturne Sounds like a good start - it's flowing along nicely!

More to come!

Sam

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Funny video: Piano Player Problems
by PianoWVBob. 07/20/19 03:30 AM
Two opinion questions on Beethoven's sonatas
by Sibylle. 07/20/19 02:23 AM
It's all in the eyebrows
by earlofmar. 07/19/19 08:33 PM
Is there anything like this ?
by Moo :). 07/19/19 05:10 PM
Hammer replacement - measurements
by rockinrob. 07/19/19 04:13 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,085
Posts2,849,943
Members93,931
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission