Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
67 registered members (alexk3954, atcsam, AZNpiano, basebase, ando, astrotoy, agraffe, 16 invisible), 782 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Converting YouTube to Sheet Music and/or Lead Sheet? #2538499
05/10/16 04:30 PM
05/10/16 04:30 PM
Upstate New York, USA
N
newbert Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
newbert  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
N

Upstate New York, USA
There are a few songs on Youtube that I'd be interested in learning to play. Unfortunately, I have not found sheet music or lead sheets for them anywhere online.

In particular, I'd like to work with this video . So, I'm wondering whether there's a way to capture it (If not, I'd purchase the mp3 from Amazon) and convert it to a usable printout to learn it.

First, a question about the song itself: What's it's time signature - 3/4 or 4/4 with triplets?

The software that I have that might address this includes Band-in-a-Box 2014, Reaper, Audacity, and Transcribe!.

Ideally, I'd love to a) generate a full score (LH and RH) that I would revise/mark up as needed. Otherwise b) a leadsheet would suffice (which Band-in-a- Box can generate if I'm not mistaken).

Is there a workflow using these software titles (or others) that could accomplish this?

If so, a step-by-step guide on how to do it would be appreciated!

Bert
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Converting YouTube to Sheet Music and/or Lead Sheet? [Re: newbert] #2538503
05/10/16 04:44 PM
05/10/16 04:44 PM
Boston, Massachusetts
M
Marko in Boston Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Marko in Boston  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

Boston, Massachusetts
Originally Posted by newbert
So, I'm wondering whether there's a way to capture it (If not, I'd purchase the mp3 from Amazon) and convert it to a usable printout to learn it.

I wonder if something like this would work by simply holding it up to your speaker. Or at least get you close.
Not sure how comprehensive it can get. But very cool concept.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scorecleaner-notes/id566535238

KAWAI ES7 | ROLAND RD-800 | YAMAHA CP4 | YAMAHA STAGEPAS 400i | PRESONUS R65 & T10 | SHURE SRH1540 | SENNHEISER HD650 | K&M OMEGA
Re: Converting YouTube to Sheet Music and/or Lead Sheet? [Re: newbert] #2538507
05/10/16 04:47 PM
05/10/16 04:47 PM
uk south
D
dire tonic Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dire tonic  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D

uk south
Get a capture using downloadhelper, a plugin for Mozilla firefox. It means installing firefox of course but that's not too hard to take. Both are free.

Time sig is slow 4/4 in triplets but could also be written as 6/8 (rare for popsters to write in 6/8) or 12/8.

Re: Converting YouTube to Sheet Music and/or Lead Sheet? [Re: newbert] #2538577
05/10/16 07:58 PM
05/10/16 07:58 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Boynton Beach, FL
This is a great way to brush up on your ear training skills smile

Seriously, that's what I do. Get the chords first (I'm sure someone's already figured them out, so just google them), and then listen to what's in the bass/LH, and how the RH is arpeggiating chords. Or you can choose to have the LH do arpeggios and then the RH can do the sax solo at the beginning and the melody if you're not singing.

No need to write out full sheet music for it.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Converting YouTube to Sheet Music and/or Lead Sheet? [Re: newbert] #2538585
05/10/16 08:22 PM
05/10/16 08:22 PM
E
ee375 Offline
ee375  Offline
E

The software that I have that might address this includes Band-in-a-Box 2014, Reaper, Audacity, and Transcribe!.

Maybe I am not understanding your question. But you surely can use Audacity to capture an MP3 file from YouTube.

Re: Converting YouTube to Sheet Music and/or Lead Sheet? [Re: Morodiene] #2538588
05/10/16 08:31 PM
05/10/16 08:31 PM
Upstate New York, USA
N
newbert Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
newbert  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
N

Upstate New York, USA
Originally Posted by Morodiene
This is a great way to brush up on your ear training skills smile

Seriously, that's what I do. Get the chords first (I'm sure someone's already figured them out, so just google them), and then listen to what's in the bass/LH, and how the RH is arpeggiating chords. Or you can choose to have the LH do arpeggios and then the RH can do the sax solo at the beginning and the melody if you're not singing.

No need to write out full sheet music for it.

Well, I've got it downloaded to mp4 format. So, Step 1 has been a success. smile

I'm pretty sure that BIAB will be able to extract the chords (once I convert the file to something compatible with BIAB), but I'll google for them as well. I'm definitely not singing (I don't want to set off all the neighborhood dogs and cats howling wink ), so I'll have to work out the right hand once I have the chords.

For many, I guess that there would be no need for full sheet music, but that's how I learned to play, and it's still a "crutch" for me. But you're right that this represents a good learning opportunity for me.

Thanks.

Bert
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Converting YouTube to Sheet Music and/or Lead Sheet? [Re: newbert] #2538715
05/11/16 06:38 AM
05/11/16 06:38 AM
St. Louis, MO, USA
J
joflah Offline
joflah  Offline
J

St. Louis, MO, USA
Originally Posted by newbert

In particular, I'd like to work with this video . So, I'm wondering whether there's a way to capture it (If not, I'd purchase the mp3 from Amazon) and convert it to a usable printout to learn it.

There are several sites that will convert youtube videos to either audio (mp3) or video (mp4) files for download to your computer. One is convert2mp3.net.
Just get the url for the youtube video, paste it into the box on the conversion site, and it will create a file for you. This happens much faster than in real time, and there's no need to worry about levels.

Jack
Re: Converting YouTube to Sheet Music and/or Lead Sheet? [Re: newbert] #2538877
05/11/16 06:13 PM
05/11/16 06:13 PM
Vught, The Netherlands
Dave Horne Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Dave Horne  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Vught, The Netherlands
My advice, listen to the piece dozens upon dozens of times without touching a keyboard ... or a pencil. Get the music burned into your brain.

Map out, using manuscript paper, the bars\form of the piece. I'm betting without even listening to it that there are four and eight bar sections that are repeated.

After you've mapped out the form with empty bars, start with the bass line, figure out the harmonies, and add the melody.

Music is an aural art form. Use your f****** ears. smile

After you transfer that music to paper you will feel that you accomplished something and the next time you transcribe a piece you'll see that the process gets even faster.

What separates the boys from the men? Electricity.

Use pencil and paper.

website | mp3 files | Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Re: Converting YouTube to Sheet Music and/or Lead Sheet? [Re: newbert] #2539032
05/12/16 10:12 AM
05/12/16 10:12 AM
T
Thomas B Offline
Thomas B  Offline
T

Hi Bert,

Dave is right with his suggestions:

1. listen
2. form
3. bass (I would add key)
4. harmony
5. melody

I do not share the Dave's puristic point of view regarding technology. I mainly transcribe using my ears, but I think tools like Audiostretch and Dacapo are really helpful (and tape recorders with slow down function have been used for many decades).

Do you want a piano solo transcription of this song - meaning a new work derived from this band performance? This does not only mean that you have to identify what the band is playing and Van Morrison is singing (at least to a certain extent) - you also have to transform it to make it playable and good sounding with two hands on a piano. No software is up to this task right now and even for humans that is a really demanding task.

If you are having a hard time identifying things like time signature, chords and melody of this tune, you might have to swallow the pill and take a step back. E.g. you could start to figure out the melody and chords of children's songs and make your own piano version of it.

Additionally it definitely helps having a good understanding of harmonies to narrow the possibilities a little quicker...

There's no short path to the mastery of transcribing and editing a song for solo piano on your own.

Happy transcribing!

Thomas

Re: Converting YouTube to Sheet Music and/or Lead Sheet? [Re: newbert] #2539051
05/12/16 11:04 AM
05/12/16 11:04 AM
L
login Offline
login  Offline
L

There is software that can convert audio to midi, for example Ableton Live has this, you can convert melody, harmony or drums. Obviously it is far from perfect but it might be less time correcting it that trying to write it down on your own.

Re: Converting YouTube to Sheet Music and/or Lead Sheet? [Re: Thomas B] #2539082
05/12/16 12:45 PM
05/12/16 12:45 PM
Vught, The Netherlands
Dave Horne Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Dave Horne  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Vught, The Netherlands
I do not share the Dave's puristic point of view regarding technology. I mainly transcribe using my ears, but I think tools like Audiostretch and Dacapo are really helpful (and tape recorders with slow down function have been used for many decades).

It's not a puristic point of view per se, I just see too many musicians who spend so much time trying to find a software solution for a problem and all that time could have been spent actually working on it (with pencil and paper) and becoming a better musician at the same time.

If I transcribed for a living I wouldn't take the luxury of listening dozens of times before transferring the information to paper, I'd simply plunge in and go measure by measure.

I do see the benefit of being able to slow down the music to figure out the 'tricky' parts.

I just see a general dumbing down in general.

Rant over, smile

My last transcription was Gilbert O'Sullivan's Alone Again Naturally and I completed that a few days ago. I heard it on the radio and couldn't get that melody out of my head. I have Spotify and listened dozens of times figuring it out in my head before I went to the keyboard.

website | mp3 files | Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Re: Converting YouTube to Sheet Music and/or Lead Sheet? [Re: newbert] #2539090
05/12/16 01:12 PM
05/12/16 01:12 PM
uk south
D
dire tonic Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dire tonic  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D

uk south
But there's nothing to transcribe here. Ok, there are chords, there's a rhythmic 'feel' and there's a 'melody' (but Van Morrison sings in such a way as to make it almost impossible to pin it down in pianistic terms). What's needed is an arrangement which works for piano. And as has already been pointed out, no software will do it.

Re: Converting YouTube to Sheet Music and/or Lead Sheet? [Re: Dave Horne] #2539243
05/13/16 03:27 AM
05/13/16 03:27 AM
T
Thomas B Offline
Thomas B  Offline
T

Originally Posted by Dave Horne

It's not a puristic point of view per se, I just see too many musicians who spend so much time trying to find a software solution for a problem and all that time could have been spent actually working on it (with pencil and paper) and becoming a better musician at the same time.

I totally agree.

Originally Posted by Dave Horne

My last transcription was Gilbert O'Sullivan's Alone Again Naturally and I completed that a few days ago. I heard it on the radio and couldn't get that melody out of my head. I have Spotify and listened dozens of times figuring it out in my head before I went to the keyboard.

Just looked it up in Spotify as well out of curiosity and it is indeed a nice tune (though surprised by the genre - I thought you were more into Jazz smile ) What I found awfully "shocking" in Spotify was the title and cover of his album "piano foreplay" - what the heck?

My last tune was "My Love Is" (e.g. by Diana Krall) which was interesting as it's normally performed only by bass + singer and we play it with a quintet (actually quartet + singer) - although a really easy song it took me some rounds to decide for the harmonies to write down...

Re: Converting YouTube to Sheet Music and/or Lead Sheet? [Re: Thomas B] #2539263
05/13/16 07:17 AM
05/13/16 07:17 AM
Vught, The Netherlands
Dave Horne Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Dave Horne  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Vught, The Netherlands
I am a jazz pianist but really don't like to play so-called 'jazz tunes'.

I've worked with musicians who can play Windows by Chick Correa but don't know Up A Lazy River (by Hoagy Carmichael).

A tune for me is a vehicle for reharmonization and improvising; it helps if the general public at least recognizes the piece in question.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Today's Google Doodle Creates Bach Harmonies
by jazzyprof. 03/21/19 01:26 AM
Kawai GL10 confirmation bias
by Emery Wang. 03/21/19 12:21 AM
Any kawai GX, SK owners?
by kokatla. 03/20/19 10:22 PM
CHECK OUT LOT 60
by martin snow. 03/20/19 07:28 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,011
Posts2,808,753
Members92,831
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission