Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
101 registered members (ALEXANDER DYKER, Alex C, Bruce In Philly, anotherscott, butchkoch, cliowa, Angelos58, cathryn999, 18 invisible), 1,266 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 19 of 19 1 2 17 18 19
Re: Pianoteq 6! [Re: CyberGene] #2679246
10/02/17 12:01 PM
10/02/17 12:01 PM
K
karvala Offline
500 Post Club Member
karvala  Offline
500 Post Club Member
K

Originally Posted by CyberGene
Originally Posted by toddy
Just to clarify for people who might not have been following the whole partial pedalling VST saga (sensible people smile )

The VST you hear in the video by Philip Johnston above is a Garritan Yamaha CFX. On its release, it did not support half pedalling and repedalling. But NOW CFX DOES SUPPORT REPEDALLING AND HALF PEDALLING. According to accounts here, it does these functions well.

Yep, and he even used the latest release with support for half-pedaling to record the Chopin's Ballade No.1 stating that this is a piece that can't be played without that. I fully agree because I play that Ballade too (enviously not as well as him) and I'd say almost all of Chopin's music actually requires half-pedaling.

Yeah, I would say that too. It was attempting to play various pieces of Chopin on the AK Studio Grand that I gave up in disgust and e-mailed XLN telling them what a bunch of fools they are. laugh

Broadwood, Yamaha U1; Kawai CA67; Pianoteq Std (D4, K2, Blüthner, Grotrian), Garritan CFX Full, Galaxy Vintage D, The Grandeur, Ravenscroft 275, Ivory II ACD, TrueKeys Italian, AS C7, Production Grand Compact, AK Studio Grand, AK Upright, Waves Grand Rhapsody; Sennheiser HD-600 and HD-650, O2 amp
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Pianoteq 6! [Re: Pete14] #2679261
10/02/17 12:45 PM
10/02/17 12:45 PM
B
Beakybird Offline
500 Post Club Member
Beakybird  Offline
500 Post Club Member
B

I play Pianoteq because for me it sounds more like a piano than the only other sample I've played extensively - Ivory American Concert D and Italian Piano. I've been able to borrow a friend's laptop, and I've A/B'd American Concert D and the Pianoteq pianos for hours, and Pianoteq keeps on winning because it's more responsive to my emotions the way a piano is. ACD is a great piece of software, don't get me wrong.

I would love to have all of the samples on my computer to compare them all.

But often when I'm playing Pianoteq, my heart says, "YES." So I'm just going to go back to playing Pianoteq after lunch.

A caveat: I was really into Pianoteq 5, and then after a year or so, my ears started hearing un-piano-like sounds that were not-acceptable. This was after playing the modeled pianos on the FP-90 that IMO have other small sound issues completely unrelated to Pianoteq. For me, the Roland modeled pianos are pretty realistic but a little lifeless. Sometimes on the Roland, I hear what sounds like harmonic distortion in the chords I play, but it's probably just a convolution of sounds that is unappealing.

Maybe this disenchantment will happen to Pianoteq 6. You got to trust your ears.

Roland FP-90; Yamaha MX49; Pianoteq 5 + most add-ons; 2 Yamaha HS8s; ATH-M50X; Focusrite Saffire 2i2; For performing: Yamaha PSR-S970; FBT Maxx 2a's, Crowne Headset Mic.
Re: Pianoteq 6! [Re: toddy] #2679266
10/02/17 12:57 PM
10/02/17 12:57 PM
US
G
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member
gvfarns  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
G

US
Originally Posted by toddy
Also, you could argue that both half pedalling and repedalling are undesigned and originally unwanted artifacts of the acoustic piano mechanism. If the were starting out from scratch, they might not be part of the apparatus at all.......just a thought. And not to deny their usefulness and desirability.

Actually, I think an easier argument would be that the difficulty of half-pedalling in acoustic pianos is an unwanted artifact of the physical reality of strings and dampers. Better would be to have a pedal that continuously varied the amount of sustain and degree of sympathetic resonance from full to none. If this was easy to do well with felt and strings, I think it would have been done in the original instrument.

When I first got into digital pianos, I also had the idea that pedalling is mostly a binary operation. Either you have depressed the pedal or not. What I learned after playing a few pianos without half pedalling is that I often unconsciously have a moderate amount of force on the pedal and put some more when I want it depressed. The result was unexpected pedalling and lack of pedalling. All the time. I'm not sure I registered that this was the problem until I played some digitals had had partial pedal capability and found that suddenly they are vastly more "playable." I don't know if someone might argue that my pedal technique is poor, but I do play the piano and I have major problems playing digitals without partial pedal. It's an absolute necessity in my mind.

Actually, while speculating about how an instrument with continuous variation in the pedal effects, I might point out that if I had my way I'd do away with all annoying physical artifacts of the acoustic. For example, the letoff simulation in high quality digital pianos makes them, in my mind, much worse instruments. I have heard people say they use that sensation to guide them or play off the jack sometimes, but I do nothing of the kind and definitely would prefer to have it removed. Don't get me started on the various mechanical noises introduced to make digitals sound more real.

Last edited by gvfarns; 10/02/17 01:02 PM.
Re: Pianoteq 6! [Re: Pete14] #2679268
10/02/17 01:03 PM
10/02/17 01:03 PM
B
Beakybird Offline
500 Post Club Member
Beakybird  Offline
500 Post Club Member
B

I had a Casio with half pedaling - but not continuous half pedaling - the pedal sent only three MIDI messages: 0, 63, and 127. I sprung for a MIDI device that could give me continuous half pedaling. I could notice no difference between my Casio pedal and the continuous half pedal.

I do notice a difference between on/off and being able to get that in between point.

Roland FP-90; Yamaha MX49; Pianoteq 5 + most add-ons; 2 Yamaha HS8s; ATH-M50X; Focusrite Saffire 2i2; For performing: Yamaha PSR-S970; FBT Maxx 2a's, Crowne Headset Mic.
(ad) SWEETWATER
Easy Monthly Payments on Keyboards and Synthesizers
Re: Pianoteq 6! [Re: Pete14] #2681611
10/12/17 06:26 PM
10/12/17 06:26 PM
UK
lolatu Offline
1000 Post Club Member
lolatu  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

UK
Is it my imagination, or does the Steinway D sound way better than the Grotrian in Pianoteq 6?

The D has real dynamics and bite in the bass. The Grotrian sounds soft and dead in comparison.

I'm pretty sure that the D has got way better compared to PT5, but I don't have PT5 installed any more to check whether the Grotrian got worse!

Anyway, basically I've stopped using the Grotrian and the Steinway is now my go-to sound.

Discuss.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
Re: Pianoteq 6! [Re: Pete14] #2681614
10/12/17 06:42 PM
10/12/17 06:42 PM
Z
zob Offline
zob  Offline
Z

Same here. Before I always went straight for the Grotrian. Now I can't stop playing the D.

Re: Pianoteq 6! [Re: Pete14] #2682199
10/14/17 08:02 PM
10/14/17 08:02 PM
Boston/Cambridge
F
Fleer Offline
Fleer  Offline
F

Boston/Cambridge
Well, I like the somewhat subdued sound of the Grotrian, but then again the Blüthner has a similar sound signature. The Grotrian also has a better bass and mid register than the Steinway D, in my experience, as the D's mids are quite harsh, maybe too harsh.

Re: Pianoteq 6! [Re: karvala] #2684616
10/24/17 08:56 AM
10/24/17 08:56 AM
A
anotherscott Online content
4000 Post Club Member
anotherscott  Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
A

Originally Posted by karvala
Originally Posted by anotherscott
I hate to say it, but that bit (among others) reminds me of an old 70s electric piano, like an RMI, particularly the 3rd-4th note sequence. There's something about the envelope and the static nature of the decaying tone, which seems apparent in certain note ranges at certain velocities that sounds really fake to me.

Yes! That's exactly the point I've tried to make a few times. While there are various issues in different registers, I think the notes in exactly that range are the most problematic as far as a realistic piano tone goes, and yes, it sounds like an old-fashioned electronic imitation of a piano in that range.

Funny thing... I heard an Art Tatum recording on the radio recently, from the 40s or 50s, and I heard something of that same character in the piano he was playing!

Re: Pianoteq 6! [Re: anotherscott] #2684640
10/24/17 09:55 AM
10/24/17 09:55 AM
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Doug M. Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Doug M.  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Cheshire, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by karvala
I hate to say it, but that bit (among others) reminds me of an old 70s electric piano, like an RMI, particularly the 3rd-4th note sequence. There's something about the envelope and the static nature of the decaying tone, which seems apparent in certain note ranges at certain velocities that sounds really fake to me.

Yes! That's exactly the point I've tried to make a few times. While there are various issues in different registers, I think the notes in exactly that range are the most problematic as far as a realistic piano tone goes, and yes, it sounds like an old-fashioned electronic imitation of a piano in that range.

Funny thing... I heard an Art Tatum recording on the radio recently, from the 40s or 50s, and I heard something of that same character in the piano he was playing!

lol, leave God out of it

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7; Past - Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Re: Pianoteq 6! [Re: Pete14] #2684770
10/24/17 07:08 PM
10/24/17 07:08 PM
B
Beakybird Offline
500 Post Club Member
Beakybird  Offline
500 Post Club Member
B

I find that the Grotrian has a rather rapid decay in the midrange. It's not my go-to piano in Pianoteq.

Besides being a matter of taste, one's preference would likely be influenced by speakers/headphone.

Lately, I like the YC5. I like the brassiness and the overtones that are evocative of a glass harp. I also love the Steinway B which is very balanced and beautiful from bottom to top. I agree with some others that the upper mids of the Steinway D can sound harsh.

My favorites are in this order

1. YC5
2. Steinway B
3. K2
4. Steinway D
5. Grotrian
6. Bluthner

I love all of them.

Most people probably won't care, but another thing I noticed about Pianoteq 6 is that they gave the Celesta another octave below so that the instrument has 6 octaves. The biggest Celeste piano that I have heard of has 5 1/2 octaves. The lower notes - as well as the whole instrument - have great vibe sounds. It's not an instrument that I could play for hours day after day, like a grand piano, but it sounds very sweet.

And with all of the instruments, try setting one of your left pedals to pinched harmonic. What a joy!

Re: Pianoteq 6! [Re: Pete14] #2774768
10/23/18 03:44 AM
10/23/18 03:44 AM
Spain, Pamplona
D
David Izquierdo Offline
David Izquierdo  Offline
D

Spain, Pamplona
A cover of "Bella Ciao" featuring PTQ6 YC5 (Yamaha C5) on Kawai CA97

https://youtu.be/hEbfe3OzWOc

Hope you enjoy!

Kawai CA97
Pianoteq 6 Pro (all instruments), Galaxy II, Vintage D, The Giant, Alcia Keys, The Grandeur, The Maverick, The Gentleman, Piano V2 etc
http://youtube.com/DavidIzquierdoAzzouz
Re: Pianoteq 6! [Re: Pete14] #2774771
10/23/18 03:59 AM
10/23/18 03:59 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
C
CyberGene Online content
2000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C

Sofia, Bulgaria
Nice playing! And you’ve turned the defect into effect smile The toyish timbre of Pianoteq is working for this piece especially for the honky-tonk parts.

Soundcloud Profile - solo piano compositions, arrangements, reharms
Currently: Kawai ES7 -> Garritan CFX
Previously: Kawai MP6, Kawai CA63, Roland RD-700SX, Roland FP-5, Yamaha P90, Korg SP-200, Casio CDP-100
Re: Pianoteq 6! [Re: CyberGene] #2775196
10/24/18 11:00 AM
10/24/18 11:00 AM
Spain, Pamplona
D
David Izquierdo Offline
David Izquierdo  Offline
D

Spain, Pamplona
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Nice playing! And you’ve turned the defect into effect smile The toyish timbre of Pianoteq is working for this piece especially for the honky-tonk parts.

Glad you liked it! 😊

Kawai CA97
Pianoteq 6 Pro (all instruments), Galaxy II, Vintage D, The Giant, Alcia Keys, The Grandeur, The Maverick, The Gentleman, Piano V2 etc
Re: Pianoteq 6! [Re: Pete14] #2779253
11/08/18 10:38 AM
11/08/18 10:38 AM
Spain, Pamplona
D
David Izquierdo Offline
David Izquierdo  Offline
D

Spain, Pamplona
Hi folks!

Another contribution using Pianoteq (Bechstein 1899) on my CA97, hope you like it smile

La Boheme - Charles Aznavour

https://youtu.be/UuOxZGiyMqI

Last edited by David Izquierdo; 11/08/18 10:39 AM.

Kawai CA97
Re: Pianoteq 6! [Re: David Izquierdo] #2779259
11/08/18 11:08 AM
11/08/18 11:08 AM
S
slobajudge Online content
500 Post Club Member
slobajudge  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
S

Originally Posted by David Izquierdo
Hi folks!

Another contribution using Pianoteq (Bechstein 1899) on my CA97, hope you like it smile

La Boheme - Charles Aznavour

https://youtu.be/UuOxZGiyMqI

Nice playing David, I am really enjoying it, excellent presentation of Pianoteq on one of my favorite pianos Bechstein. Thank you for posting.

Re: Pianoteq 6! [Re: Pete14] #2782406
Yesterday at 12:01 AM
Yesterday at 12:01 AM
Spain, Pamplona
D
David Izquierdo Offline
David Izquierdo  Offline
D

Spain, Pamplona
Pianoteq Ant. Petrof

Chopin's Nocturne in F Minor Op55 No1

https://youtu.be/-7sD1DgrZXE

Last edited by David Izquierdo; Yesterday at 12:02 AM.

Kawai CA97
Page 19 of 19 1 2 17 18 19

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Will Garriton cfx run on this laptop?
by Rohit04062. 11/20/18 07:22 AM
Success through failure: Thank you ABF
by Zilthy. 11/19/18 11:31 PM
Online lessons for advanced student viable?
by rach3master. 11/19/18 10:25 PM
Black Friday iOS Sales
by IosPlayer. 11/19/18 05:25 PM
Standard piano literature progression
by vetrano. 11/19/18 03:44 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,425
Posts2,762,788
Members91,525
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission