2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
44 members (anotherscott, briangmoore, Dfrankjazz, chopinetto, Bill McKaig,RPT, c++, Carey, 1957, 12 invisible), 467 guests, and 437 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
frenery Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I am thinking to purchase a second hand digital piano. The YDP-141 is slightly higher price compared to Casio. I am wondering since the pricing is not much of a different, which one is more suitable for beginner? Further, since I am having problems transporting the piano, the seller suggested that the board stand can be dismantled and re-assemble. My concern is, will the dismantling and re-assemble affect the sturdiness of the stand? (Shaky? Torn?). Appreciate advice.thank you!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
For the keyboard action, if for nothing else, I would prefer the Casio. The PX-135 is an old model though, and there have been improvements in later generations.

The Yamaha YDP-141, on the other hand, has the GHS action, which is considered rather light. GH is better, found for example in the YDP-161.

I'm inclined to think, that taking apart a stand, and reassembling it, will weaken it. The wood around the screws is usually eaten up, though there are ways to compensate for that.

Last edited by TheodorN; 05/05/16 05:56 AM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I have read an opposite conclusion between Casio and Yamaha : a YDP142 (GHS too) was prefered to a PX750 (tri sensor II). On a Casio (PX160, tri sensor II too), I disklike the key feel. I couldn't try a GHS keyboard.

Then I can only suggest to try and build your own opinion. You can go to a shop to compare Casio and Yamaha key feel, but Casio keyboards have evolved (tri sensor vs. Tri sensor II), you will not find in a shop, a keyboard equivalent to the PX135.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
I've been touring with a Yamaha CLP-230 with the same type of stand. The fittings are very sturdy and it will not affect the sturdiness to disassemble and re-assemble.

I've great experiences with the GHS keyboard, mostly in the P-105. Pianists with a lot of experience, that I worked with, feel good about it.

Peace

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I concur with the above. The framework of Yamahas utilises steel fasteners and housings. The ones in my old DGX650 were the same as in a much older CLP820 which I took apart dozens of times with no adverse effect.
The keyboard too, is sound enough. The YDP 141 is a popular model much sought after on website auctions and will be easy to sell on when the time comes.
Have fun!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Maybe it's helpful to compare the specs of these two models. The Yamaha YDP-141. The Casio PX-135.

Some numbers stand out in the comparison, like polyphony. 64 in the Yamaha, 128 in the Casio. My Casio PX-5S has 256, and I think the standard today is pretty much 192-256. You're unlikely to be playing (or sounding) 256 notes at the same time, even when layering many voices, and using the pedals extensively. 128 is probably enough, even 64.

As Frédéric's suggests, try out the models, or any other model you're considering. You're the one who'll be playing the thing, and only you yourself can tell if this or that keyboard is good for you. Statistics only tell half the story. Some prefer the GHS action over anything else, of which peterws is the best example. cool

Others like Casio's action, and still others think even that one is also too light to build up strong fingers and good playing technique. These same people tend to recommend Kawai models like the VPC1, which can only be used with software pianos, with no voices of it's own.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
In order to have an idea of polyphony needs, I have played the Chopin's Fantaisie Impromptu with a virtual piano which displays the current number of used voices. The piece is quite fast, then you will likely need less voices. The number varies between 60 and 80 and go up to 100 at some times. Then a 128 voices will be enough for most pieces. 64 could be enough if the weaker voices are not heard because they are overwhelmed by the other.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
This comparison video for Galaxy Vintage D and Steinway, where Rachmaninov's Prelude No. 1 C Sharp minor is played, also shows the polyphony count. Interesting to watch how the Voices parameter changes, especially in the heavier sections of the piece.

Me on YouTube

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
GHS is terribly light and springy-like, more keyboard than piano proper. I very much prefer the Casio action.

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
Originally Posted by Doritos Flavoured
GHS is terribly light and springy-like, more keyboard than piano proper...

Maybe there are several versions of the GHS action. But I have access to the P-105, I own the P-115 and have played the DGX-650. Reel hammer mechanics that build finger strength. The NP-30 that I also own have a "springy" unweighted keyboard.

I would say that GHS are just slightly softer than the GH and GH3 that I also have experience of. smile

Peace

F
frenery Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Hi,

Thanks for all the advices and experiences sharing. Personally, I do prefer the Yamaha brand, however, as mentioned above, I am also looking into the spec. As I am still deliberating which one to choose, Yamaha P-45 is having a clearance promotion now and the price is similar to the used Arius YDP-141 mentioned above. Another option her as the new P-45 if offering 18 months warranty. Honestly, I do not know how to test the piano. A beginner that wanting to start learning.

The Arius YDP-141 has the very useful recording feature with separate tracks for left and right hand. A valuable tool for practising! The P-45 lacks this functionality.

Peace

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New Yamaha CX series vs Boston
by GraceTuraco - 04/20/21 09:15 PM
Thinking of buying a 2007 Yamaha G2 5'7" Grand
by Teresa100 - 04/20/21 07:52 PM
Estonia L190 Bass Scale
by mbd - 04/20/21 07:52 PM
A closer look at the Feurich 'Vienna' 123 model
by oswaldpeters - 04/20/21 04:22 PM
generic name for Mellotron
by TheophilusCarter - 04/20/21 03:24 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,431
Posts3,084,688
Members101,254
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission