2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 12 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Lam Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hiya guys,

What would offer the closest acoustic experience if they were both high end? The ca97 costs 5k aud while the vpc-1 is about only 3k aud and one could throw in the massive ivory ii sample and a pair of nice headphones

Your thoughts thanks guys smile

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I take it you're on a budget? The VPC1 is great. So is the CA97. If you are on a budget and comfortable with using software and not having a nice looking cabinet (unless you build one), then the VPC1 is hard to beat. You may want to compare ivory with pianoteq and True Keys Ravenscroft and any other number of great virtual pianos out there. You don't have to necessarily break the bank with them.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R
R
VPC1 is enough great for advanced player. Grand feel II is better but buying CA series just for a bit better action is no point for me. Much more reasonable could be to buy another one virtual piano, like Synthogy Ivory II, Hammersmith piano or Vienna Imperial.

Last edited by rychubil; 05/07/16 02:59 PM.

Kawai VPC1 | Arturia Minilab Mk2
Pianoteq 6 Pro | Synthogy Ivory II | Arturia Analog Lab Lite | Korg Collection
Roland Quad Capture | Neumann KH120 | Grado SR225i
cornet Olds Ambassador, Hohner harmonicas and melodicas
Originally Posted by lamadoo
Hiya guys,

What would offer the closest acoustic experience if they were both high end? The ca97 costs 5k aud while the vpc-1 is about only 3k aud and one could throw in the massive ivory ii sample and a pair of nice headphones

The acoustic experience isnt quantifiable. Just go into your piano shop, and play all the acoustics there. Would you be happy with them all? I think not. Pick a good one, tell us what it is, then try out the digitals there. . .

Then you will be able to stop us all arguing over the longest running feud in musical history. . .and we might get round to actually playing the bloody things help haha

Have fun!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
B
B
Hiya guys,

High end acoustic v high end digital? grin

I've just returned from downtown, where I'd booked a studio with a Fazioli F156 (the smallest and cheapest Fazioli) to make a few recordings.

Prior to that, I took the opportunity to visit a DP store, where I played on a few high end digitals (including the CA97) to warm up.

Playing the Fazioli soon after was like the difference between night and day. I got lost in the music, and the sound and the responsiveness of the instrument to my touch, the tonal variety and range of dynamics, and the sheer joy of playing on the little acoustic grand (barely bigger than a "baby grand") that none of the digitals came anywhere close to giving me..........

If music be the food of love, play on!
Originally Posted by bennevis
I've just returned from downtown, where I'd booked a studio with a Fazioli F156 (the smallest and cheapest Fazioli) to make a few recordings.

Playing the Fazioli soon after was like the difference between night and day. I got lost in the music, and the sound and the responsiveness of the instrument to my touch, the tonal variety and range of dynamics, and the sheer joy of playing on the little acoustic grand (barely bigger than a "baby grand") that none of the digitals came anywhere close to giving me..........

And just imagine if you were playing a full-sized Steinway, Yamaha, Shigeru Kawai, Bosendorfer, Bechstein, or Fazioli grand...

Yeah, nothing can compare to the touch, feel, sound, and bathed in the sensations feeling of playing a decent real acoustic piano.

But still, I get joy from my digitals and can do things with them that I could never do with an AP. So they remain apples and oranges for me.

Keys: Yamaha GC2, Casio Privia PX-5s, Roland RD800, Alesis VI61, Yamaha YC61, Pianoteq 7.0, Native Instruments, Gig Performer
My motto: Play and Let Play!
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Hiya guys,

The midi keyboard route is the one I chose over 30 years ago and I have NO regrets.
Not even that my KX-88 has lasted SO well that I haven't had any good excuse to side-grade it.
(doubtful that there is an UP-grade, there are known DOWN-grades).

CA97 is a current "package" that will remain what it is, i.e. the only "up-grade" path is replacement - or a similar path to what you could take with a midi keyboard, in which case the "case" represents waste.
It also has the limitation of a "soundboard", which has some market appeal - except that it is barely the soundboard of a spinet, if it were the board of a 9ft grand, or even a 7ft it could be a worthwhile feature - but it is tiny.

Last edited by R_B; 05/07/16 06:51 PM.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I feel it depends what your expectations and intended usage are.
If you expect to play serious piano repertoire, something with a good weighted action is necessary. The VPC1 is a good example but you have to test the action to see if you like it.
If you'll certainly take the VST route, then the rest of the instrument (case, speakers, internal sounds) is redundant, indeed, but still OK to have.
Personally I like the form-factor of a console piano (HP-504 in my case), although I will probably end up using VSTs exclusively. I like the look of it, the sliding keycover, the proper height of the keys placed on the sturdy stand that is the piano and the good pedals in their proper place. Also like that I can place the studio monitors (I know it's not the ideal placement) and an LCD for sheet music on top of the piano.
Of course, all the things I like can easily be achieved with a controller as well, but the price wasn't much different from the VPC1 in my case and personally I liked this action better, although many may argue otherwise and they wouldn't be wrong.

Short answer to the original question: acoustic is not digital and viceversa. But a high end digital or DP+ VST combo will be better on some aspects than an acoustic that would be in the same price range. And they have many other advantages as well.

L
Lam Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Much thanks for your feedback guys, really appreciated.

This is great news as I will now plan to budget for the VPC-1 as its much more affordable, future-proof and fits my needs.

Just one last question please, do you think the ivory II samples are better than the in-built samples of the ca-97 ? (your personnel input)

Its great like you say i can always upgrade VST plugins when they improve as well instead of buying a new digital piano.. wow smile

Its a dream to own a quality grand piano but for now we have to make do hehe

Last edited by lamadoo; 05/08/16 03:28 AM.
R
R
Ivory II samples are definitely better than any in-built samples of DP's. The same thing with the CA97.

Kawai VPC1 | Arturia Minilab Mk2
Pianoteq 6 Pro | Synthogy Ivory II | Arturia Analog Lab Lite | Korg Collection
Roland Quad Capture | Neumann KH120 | Grado SR225i
cornet Olds Ambassador, Hohner harmonicas and melodicas
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rychubil
Ivory II samples are definitely better than any in-built samples of DP's. The same thing with the CA97.

But built-in samples are usually very well adapted to the built-in action.

Yamaha P-515
Originally Posted by JoeT

Says who?

Action is action and sound is sound, and one can be great, the other not-so, and visa versa.

Keys: Yamaha GC2, Casio Privia PX-5s, Roland RD800, Alesis VI61, Yamaha YC61, Pianoteq 7.0, Native Instruments, Gig Performer
My motto: Play and Let Play!
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
While I haven't agreed with some other of Joe's opinions, he's spot on on this one.
Says piano manufacturers. When they make a new model, they spend countless hours working on the velocity curve and matching it to the internal sound. This is done by experts with way more experience than most users and they spend large amounts of time to ensure response consistency and a realistic response.
While you can adjust the velocity curves in the vst, some vsts have limited adjustment options and depending on the particular vst and the action with which it's coupled, it might be quite hard to achieve a natural response in some cases. And you can use external plugins to alter the velocity curve, but even so, it can be quite hard at times and can affect the piano playing experience generally speaking.
I suppose that's why one of the features that are really appreciated in case of the VPC1 are the custom velocity curves for several popular VSTs and the ability to modify and save your own curves internally.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by R_B

Not even that my KX-88 has lasted SO well that I haven't had any good excuse to side-grade it.
(doubtful that there is an UP-grade, there are known DOWN-grades).

Yeah - they don't make 'em like that anymore. Probably one of the bets musical investments of the 80s.

Agreed.
Originally Posted by petes1
Originally Posted by JoeT

Says who? Action is action and sound is sound, and one can be great, the other not-so, and visa versa.
I've spent countless minutes adjusting the velocity curves. I use a program called Velocity Curve. It sits "in front" of Kontakt. I have three curves defined, and I can switch and choose among them. It's easy to use, and it's free.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission