2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
59 members (blueviewlaguna., chopinetto, Boboulus, caffree, 18 invisible), 495 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Mechanic: Roland FP-30 vs Casio PX-160
ilmagodiloz #2534496 04/27/16 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by ilmagodiloz
Just one more thing: what about the keybed of the FP-30 vs the Kawai ES100? Big differences except the 3 vs 2 sensors?

2 or 3 sensors are only an important issue on Piano World. wink
Out in the Real World, skilled pianists plays amazing solo pieces on digital pianos with 2 sensors without feeling limited or restrained in any way! smile

Peace

Rille Stark #2534500 04/27/16 02:36 PM
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Well said... I totally agree...!. Regards!.

ilmagodiloz #2534504 04/27/16 02:55 PM
R
R
I think, the most important to make a right choice is which sound you like and prefer. Personally I prefer Roland.

Kawai VPC1 | Arturia Minilab Mk2
Pianoteq 6 Pro | Synthogy Ivory II | Production Voices | Arturia Analog Lab Lite | Korg Collection
Roland Quad Capture | Neumann KH120 | Grado SR225i
trumpet Getzen, cornet Olds Ambassador
ilmagodiloz #2534530 04/27/16 04:12 PM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
The third sensor can make a difference in the sound as well, not just the repeat.
It allows you to play legato on repeat notes without using the pedal, and I'm pretty sure there are VSTs that react differently due to the let-off information, although I'm not sure if that's available only with 3 sensor keyboards or not.
Also, the continuous pedal is a plus (especially in the case of Pianoteq).

Rychubil, the whole idea was just to compare keys, the thread starter doesn't care about the sound because he will not use it. It's just for software instruments.

ilmagodiloz #2534536 04/27/16 04:24 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
What call you "let-off" information ? On every keyboard, the informations that are transmitted are the Note-on/Note-off event and its velocity information. On a 3 sensor keyboard, you can have successive Note-on without Note-off event. On a 2 sensors keyboard, you will have a Note-off event between each Note on.

The only extra information you can have on some keyboards is the release velocity (note-off velocity). But I don't think a 3rd sensor is needed to generate this information. (But they may be restricted to high end keyboard by marketing reason, then 3 sensors keyboards).

NB: Some pianos use a note-on with 0 velocity instead of a note-off, then some sentences are slightly wrong.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 04/27/16 04:26 PM.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
ilmagodiloz #2534539 04/27/16 04:31 PM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I mentioned that I'm not sure if the 3rd sensor has anything to do with it, but I was talking about the note-off velocity as you've called it, that's not present on all keyboards and it influences the sound.
Also the legato on repeat notes is impossible without the 3rd sensor (such as Chopin's Prelude in E minor), albeit it's quite difficult to achieve even if you do have 3 sensors.
And while wonderful performances are achieved with 2-sensor keyoards, as Rille Stark said, I don't agree that it's not necessary. It makes a notable difference. To give just an example where it really matters, from personal experience - Asturias by Albeniz. The 3rd sensor makes a big difference in this case for instance. And I'm sure there are many others.

ilmagodiloz #2534549 04/27/16 05:14 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
"it's quite difficult to achieve even if you do have 3 sensors."

The difficulty could depend of the keyboard. One of the PianomanChuck's video compares two different 3 sensors keyboards and one need to release the key upper than the other to trigger the same note again. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnqHStIL02E

NB: the YDP143 and YDP163 have the same tone generator but only the latter has 3 sensors. This could confirm that 3 sensors is not synonymous of release velocity.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 04/28/16 02:14 AM. Reason: Correction proposed by Kawi James

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Frédéric L #2534597 04/27/16 08:29 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
NB: the YDP143 and YDP163 have the same tone generator but only the former has 3 sensors.

Do you not mean 'the latter' (i.e. the YDP-163)?

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
ilmagodiloz #2534659 04/28/16 02:01 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yes, the latter. Thanks for the correction.

ilmagodiloz #2534662 04/28/16 02:33 AM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Noted, concerning the release velocity.
And I'm also aware and it's normal that not all triple sensor keys are equal, but the again, the technique I mentioned isn't easy on acoustic either smile

mcoll #2534729 04/28/16 10:15 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mcoll
The third sensor can make a difference in the sound as well, not just the repeat.
It allows you to play legato on repeat notes without using the pedal,

You can play same-note legato with two sensors just fine. If you can't, your technique needs improvement.

The third sensor is about the repetition speed which has a lower limit with a sensor less (like a slower upright action): If you can play repeated notes that fast (and still even) that your piano is limiting you, you should already have figured out same-note legato way before.

and I'm pretty sure there are VSTs that react differently due to the let-off information, although I'm not sure if that's available only with 3 sensor keyboards or not.

Release velocity is usually not available on entry-level digitals.

Yamaha P-515 | Kawai ES100 | Steinberg UR22 | Sony MDR-7506
ilmagodiloz #2534732 04/28/16 10:30 AM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Sorry for straying off-topic.
My technique always needs improvement, but JoeT, since I'm pretty much self-taught, maybe I'm using the term wrong or I'm missing something, but I don't see how you can play legato repeated notes without a third sensor (and without pedal). Could you explain? Anybody else is welcomed to chip in as well.
Thanks!

Frédéric L #2534733 04/28/16 10:31 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
On every keyboard, the informations that are transmitted are the Note-on/Note-off event and its velocity information. On a 3 sensor keyboard, you can have successive Note-on without Note-off event. On a 2 sensors keyboard, you will have a Note-off event between each Note on.

That is simply a firmware issue. You could have successive Note-on events with two sensors too or simply filter out Note-offs which are directly followed by Note-ons of the same note.

If there is an audible difference, it results from the fact, that a Note-off cancels the tone regardless if it's followed by immediately re-pressing the key.

Which is not the correct behavior, because on an acoustic the previous tone continues to sound, even if the damper touched the string very shortly (dampening doesn't happen in zero time).

This "bug" therefore is a variant of the lifting and then re-pressing keys during pedaling, which also incorrectly cancels the sound on some digitals after lifting the pedal while the keys down.

So at most it's a sound generator problem, not a keyboard action problem. Nothing a good virtual instrument couldn't fix.

JoeT #2534736 04/28/16 10:39 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoeT
You can play same-note legato with two sensors just fine. If you can't, your technique needs improvement.

I don't think so. With 2 sensors, to play a note, both sensors must be triggered in order to measure the velocity.

If you have played a note, and want to play it again, you will have to pass the upper sensor to be able to trigger both sensors again. Unfortenately, doing this, will shut off the first note. If you release the key half-way, and press it again, the piano will only see one event (the bottom sensor hit) and will not have any information about the velocity.

To be clearer, lets suppose you have two sensors and release the key halfway in order to avoid the note-off. You will have the following events :

t=0 : first sensor on
t=0,1 : second sensor on... time = 0,1... velocity=k/0,1

t=1 : second sensor off (we release the key halfway)

t=1,5 : second sensor on (we press it again... it would be clumsy to use velocity=k/0,5 since this time is the time to release (halfway) the key and press it again. We just want the time to press it again.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 04/28/16 10:49 AM.

mcoll #2534737 04/28/16 10:47 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mcoll
My technique always needs improvement, but JoeT, since I'm pretty much self-taught, maybe I'm using the term wrong or I'm missing something, but I don't see how you can play legato repeated notes without a third sensor (and without pedal). Could you explain?

Do you occasionally practice on an acoustic upright piano? That could actually help you to improve that.

The standard repetition technique for single notes is to switch between different fingers on the same key.

So instead of keeping the damper lifted all the time by keeping the key at the bottom like on a grand piano with with a proper English repetition action, you have a fluid motion of the key going almost completely up and immediately down again while being played by a different finger each time.

Such technique is must for properly playing piano, because you can't count on always having a modern grand with a repetition action in perfect condition available.

Frédéric L #2534742 04/28/16 11:00 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

I don't think so. With 2 sensors, to play a note, both sensors must be triggered in order to measure the velocity.

True, but that's not the issue.

If you have played a note, and want to play it again, you will have to pass the upper sensor to be able to trigger both sensors again. Unfortenately, doing this, will shut off the first note.

And that shutting off the note there is simply wrong behavior. A piano note needs only to be shut off, once the damper is sitting on the string choir and stays there to actually damp the strings. Like when playing staccato for example, there this effect is intended.

If you release the key half-way, and press it again, the piano will only see one event (the bottom sensor hit) and will not have any information about the velocity.

That's fine, if you don't release the hammer, an acoustic without a repetition action won't strike the strings again either.

So we are still just talking about one of the many digital sound generator limitations and not about an action limitation. Actually if one ignores the third sensor, plays a digital like an upright acoustic and the tone gets shut off due to the Note-off event, the sound is still wrong and the third sensor isn't helping it at all.

JoeT #2534744 04/28/16 11:12 AM
P
P
Hey!!

I had my doubts about 3 sensors in FP-30.
Then my anxiety was too high... wink I had to see it with my eyes.

YES!! there are 3 Sensors!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Have fun!

Pablo

Pablo Woiz
Yamaha G2, Roland Fp-30 //before: Technics p-30, Casio Privia px-100, Yamaha MX-49, M.Audio Axiom-61, Yamaha CP-80, Roland f-20, Upright Zimmermann.
www.pablowoiz.com
JoeT #2534750 04/28/16 11:23 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
If you have played a note, and want to play it again, you will have to pass the upper sensor to be able to trigger both sensors again. Unfortenately, doing this, will shut off the first note.

And that shutting of the note there is simply wrong behavior. A piano note needs only to be shut off, once the damper is sitting on the string choir and stays there to actually damp the strings. Like when playing staccato for example, there this effect is intended.

When the piano receives the following events:

sensor #1 on
sensor #2 on
sensor #2 off
sensor #1 off
(1 is the upper)

it won't be able to guess that the player wants the damper to sit on the strings or if the player wants a single note legato. Then the default behaviour (correct or wrong) is to shut the note off. With the opposite behavior, a single note will not be shut. Said in an other way, the sensor #1 is the damper sensor.

With a 3 sensors, we have no problem, because we have a dedicated damper sensor, then after two "sensor off" events (sensor #3 off, sensor #2 off), we can wait a "damper sensor" to be "off" (if the player wants to switch the note off), or a new cycle (sensor #2 on, sensor #3 on) if we want a legato.

If you are not convinced, let's see the VPC1 details (http://www.kawaimp.com/mp11/detail/touch/) :
The added third sensor improves responsiveness when playing the same key repeatedly, and unlike conventional two sensor keyboard actions found in most stage pianos, allows the sound of a single note to be gradually ‘layered’ without the previous tone being lost.

EDIT: This page also gives you 2 tabs : 3 sensors and 2 sensors which enable you to compare.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 04/28/16 12:00 PM.

ilmagodiloz #2534751 04/28/16 11:24 AM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Once again, very nice seeing pictures with the thing, Pablo! smile
Joe, it seems it wasn't me who was misunderstanding.
Frederic L got the idea right. I wasn't talking about note repetition, I was talking about repeated legato notes, where you don't let the damper return on the string at all between playing the notes again.
Yes, I play on uprights occasionally and also on grands. The upright also makes this technique quite hard to achieve, due to the specifics of its mechanics.
As for digitals, common sense, and Frederic L say that that's only possible with 3 sensors (which allows simulating the double escapement).
And changing fingers is sometimes not the case (unless you have way more than normal people) - see Chopin Op. 28 no. 4 E minor prelude. That's different for fast repeated notes, where it's normal to alternate fingers, but that wasn't the scenario I was referring to.

Thank you for the better explanation, Frederic!

ilmagodiloz #2534782 04/28/16 01:01 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Well I just played a bit with Pianoteq, where you can adjust damper effectiveness and it seems Pianoteq gets it wrong somehow.

I took D4 Player Clean, switched off all Delay and Reverb effects and set the damper duration to 6-8, which basically means a piano in bad need for regulation. It takes more than a second to have a note going silent again after the damper falls, but for demonstration purposes, this is what we want. According to Pianoteq's MIDI log I'm able to reach less than 100 ms between Note-Off and Note-On, which should suffice for this test.

Now I play a loud fortissimo note, holding down the key, then lift it all the way up and have a silent note immediately afterwards (within like 50 ms) holding down the key again.

What should happen in my opinion: The silent keypress shouldn't be heard at all and the fortissimo note shouldn't be affected either because of the adjusted very bad dampening - it should simply continue to sound.

What Pianoteq does: It models the note slowly dying off while its damper is still completely up (because I'm still holding the key). Which I think is wrong, because the key was only up for about 50 ms. Pianoteq seems to react to the Note-off but completely forgets what happens afterwards.

It's way harder to test other samples, because of their non-adjustable good dampening.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Eleanor Sokoloff RIP
by pianoloverus - 07/13/20 04:15 PM
Winter NAMM 2021 - Proceed or Cancel?
by PianoManChuck - 07/13/20 03:55 PM
Roland A-88mk2 - clunky black keys?
by Karnevil - 07/13/20 01:53 PM
PianoLink International Amateur Competition
by SiFi - 07/13/20 01:17 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,235
Posts2,980,318
Members97,760
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission