Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Our December 2018 Piano Newsletter - free
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
90 registered members (AnnInMiami, 90125, AndyP, bennevis, Chernobieff Piano, apianostudent, Bruce In Philly, 25 invisible), 1,561 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course [Re: TonyB] #2724321
03/25/18 09:46 PM
03/25/18 09:46 PM
The Sierras
D
David B Online content
David B  Online Content
D

The Sierras
Here is a beautiful song from lesson 23 (I'm currently on lesson 25) entitled "All Through The Night." I would put this song into the hymn category and I'm really glad these songs are sprinkled throughout the lessons. I'll play it once as written in the book and then arranged. It's mostly Duane's arrangement with my own flavor and dynamics added to it. The piano is Pianoteq 6 Grotrian Prelude. I think it sounds good for this song.

God Bless,
David

Kawai MP-11SE
Mac mini 2018/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Lessons 1-32 Completed
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course [Re: TonyB] #2724535
03/26/18 06:56 PM
03/26/18 06:56 PM
Bay Area CA
P
pwl Online content
Silver Subscriber
pwl  Online Content
Silver Subscriber
P

Bay Area CA
Another beautiful piece, David - WOW! The dynamic variations really deliver an emotional impact. Thanks, once again, for sharing.

Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course [Re: pwl] #2725018
03/28/18 08:07 PM
03/28/18 08:07 PM
The Sierras
D
David B Online content
David B  Online Content
D

The Sierras
Originally Posted by pwl
Another beautiful piece, David - WOW! The dynamic variations really deliver an emotional impact. Thanks, once again, for sharing.

Thank you. That's one of the reasons why I liked this song.

Currently in lesson 25 we're covering two songs that I really don't care for (Man On The Flying Trapeze and Jingle Bells), and I'm finding Duane's arrangements challenging with the syncopated rhythmic patterns, chord substitutions and counter melodies. It's important to go through the process and learn what he is teaching, but I'm not really inspired enough to record them.

There is a lot of songs in this course like I mentioned above. Although, while I don't enjoy the songs very much, they are good for practicing and developing what Duane is teaching. Learning the songs means learning the skills being taught. Hopefully all this - not so fun - work in the 52 week course will make the Praise and Gospel series that I bought from Duane easier when I eventually get to it.

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 03/29/18 12:18 AM.

Kawai MP-11SE
Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course [Re: TonyB] #2732315
04/27/18 02:31 PM
04/27/18 02:31 PM
The Sierras
D
David B Online content
David B  Online Content
D

The Sierras
I finally finished lesson 25. There were only two songs in this lesson, but they were both arranged with a similar syncopated rhythmic style, which I found to be a bit challenging to learn. It can be a temptation to move quickly through the songs in this course that I don’t find particularly enjoyable, but I knew my brain and body needed to be “wired” with the coordination to play these two songs. I did have a little fun with Jingle Bells. Duane adds some “playfulness” to it.

I normally only post the songs that I really like, but I’ll post both songs from this lesson since it took longer than I would have preferred to learn them. I’m happy to be moving on.

As usual I’ll play them as written and then arranged by Duane with the techniques he taught for this lesson.

The first one is Jingle Bells. The Second one is Man On The Flying Trapeze. The sound for both songs is the Kawai EX Concert
Grand.

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 04/27/18 07:35 PM.

Kawai MP-11SE
Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course [Re: TonyB] #2732342
04/27/18 04:22 PM
04/27/18 04:22 PM
D
dcupright Online content
dcupright  Online Content
D

Thank you for posting your progress David. It is encouraging to see what is possible. I got hung up on lesson 2 and decided to take private lessons which have helped a lot. I started tackling lesson 3 a few days ago. It probably takes me closer to a month to get through each weekly lesson, although I am waiting until i can do as good as I think I can do in these early stages. I appreciate you sharing.

Doug

Yamaha P115
Duane Shinn 52 week course 1-8 completed.
Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course [Re: David B] #2732385
04/27/18 07:01 PM
04/27/18 07:01 PM
Bay Area CA
P
pwl Online content
Silver Subscriber
pwl  Online Content
Silver Subscriber
P

Bay Area CA
Mercy, David - you ought to be really proud of this jazzy version of Jingle Bells . . . and you don't even like the song!

PLUS . . . I'd say it's about time Duane started sending you checks (let's call 'em "performance royalties"!) for creating and posting these videos. I can't think of a better advertisement for the course!!

Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course [Re: pwl] #2732394
04/27/18 07:31 PM
04/27/18 07:31 PM
The Sierras
D
David B Online content
David B  Online Content
D

The Sierras
Originally Posted by dcupright
...It probably takes me closer to a month to get through each weekly lesson, although I am waiting until i can do as good as I think I can do in these early stages.

It took me a month to get though lesson 25. Hang in there. At first I really wanted to get through this course as fast as possible so I could move on to Duane's Praise and Gospel series that I already bought, but then I realized that taking my time (like you're doing) is an important part of the journey. There are no shortcuts. We just have to put the time in. I think most people can do it if they work hard. I wish you the very best in your musical journey. Thanks for the feedback.

Originally Posted by pwl
Mercy, David - you ought to be really proud of this jazzy version of Jingle Bells . . . and you don't even like the song!

PLUS . . . I'd say it's about time Duane started sending you checks (let's call 'em "performance royalties"!) for creating and posting these videos. I can't think of a better advertisement for the course!!

LOL smile

I've been emailing Duane with the links to my youtube uploads and most of the time he responds back with some sort of affirmation. He even answered a question I had once. I'm surprised there isn't more on youtube regarding this course. I would have never known about the course if it wasn't for this forum. I'm really grateful to have this material.

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 04/27/18 07:37 PM.

Kawai MP-11SE
Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course [Re: TonyB] #2733494
05/02/18 08:27 AM
05/02/18 08:27 AM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Ok ..... David ..... your rendition of Jingle Bells has done it !!!

I purchased the course !!! LOL ....

That "jazzy" style you showed is what did it.

It appears this course and your dedication to doing it right is working.

While I have been playing for awhile and can play some nice stuff, I know my basic piano skills are weak.

I think this course AND my dedication to doing it right will help improve those skills.

Your postings have served to motivate me, and probably others.

Thank you

Don

Don

Casio PX-160, Mix 5 Five-Channel Compact Mixer, DR 880 Drum Machine, Spacestation v.3 Powered Stereo Monitor
Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course [Re: TonyB] #2733661
05/02/18 05:29 PM
05/02/18 05:29 PM
The Sierras
D
David B Online content
David B  Online Content
D

The Sierras
Originally Posted by dmd

I purchased the course !!! LOL…

Wonderful!

I’m glad you’re getting involved with the course. I’ve always appreciated your thoughtful comments and suggestions in this thread and your contributions on other subjects in pianoworld.

Personally, I’ve never needed help with motivation when I find something I’m interested in (like piano), but it’s always helpful when there are other people to share the experience with.

I think this course AND my dedication to doing it right will help improve those skills.

I think you’re right. I didn’t have any skills coming into this course. So as an adult beginner I’m learning almost from scratch. It takes me a lot of effort just to learn the songs as written since I didn’t really know how to read music either.

Also, Duane’s lessons have beginner and more advanced material in them, therefore, there are things he teaches that I just cannot do given my level of playing. I believe a lot more could be obtained from this course by more advanced students who already have a better understanding of musical theory and the chops to do some of the things Duane teaches.

Thank you

Don

Wonderful!

I feel very blessed to have this material and I know it requires a lot of hard work (for a beginner) to get through, but I’m confident it’s going to help me achieve my musical goals. If it wasn’t for this forum I might never have known about the Duane Shinn course. It’s a privilege to share my experience with it here. I’m looking forward to hearing your input as well once you start the course.

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 05/02/18 05:32 PM.

Kawai MP-11SE
Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course [Re: David B] #2733680
05/02/18 06:54 PM
05/02/18 06:54 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by David B
Duane’s lessons have beginner and more advanced material in them, therefore, there are things he teaches that I just cannot do given my level of playing. I believe a lot more could be obtained from this course by more advanced students who already have a better understanding of musical theory and the chops to do some of the things Duane teaches.

Well, I would not call myself "more advanced". However, I do KNOW a lot about playing piano in the jazz genre where I have been focusing for a while now.

I have always described myself (to prospective teachers) as someone who knows a lot but cannot DO a lot.

I have tended to gloss over things that are very difficult and just get the general gist and then moving on .... telling myself that I could do that ..."If I wanted to"... LOL ....

That catches up with you eventually and you find you (me) know a lot but cannot do a lot.

So ... my focus as I work through this course will be doing my best to come away DOING instead of just knowing.

But right now ... this is just talk.

I will know more about this in 6 months. LOL ...

Thank you again for your inspiration.

Don

Casio PX-160, Mix 5 Five-Channel Compact Mixer, DR 880 Drum Machine, Spacestation v.3 Powered Stereo Monitor
Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course [Re: TonyB] #2733691
05/02/18 07:41 PM
05/02/18 07:41 PM
Union SC
monkeeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
monkeeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Union SC
Hey Don, I was just lurking around reading and your post about glossing over things rang a bell. Do you think it’s a patience related issue? You are quite more advanced than me and you Know what the problem is. I ran into this a while back and I realized that I was in a hurry to finish Alfred and the units in my video lessons. Once I settled in and accepted that just turning a page wasn’t going to help me to be a better player it seemed to get better. I’d be interested in your thoughts on it.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently Unit 4
Alfred Adult Piano 1-ebook version
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course [Re: monkeeys] #2733697
05/02/18 07:54 PM
05/02/18 07:54 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by monkeeys
I’d be interested in your thoughts on it.

I believe you are right about it being impatience.

When I watch Law and Order .... I just watch the last 10 minutes ... The trial.

If I read a book ... I want to get to the end as fast as possible.

With piano ... I always want to get on with the "good stuff" and I will try to skip things I think are only incidental.

Or if the technique is very difficult, I will tell myself I will skip that for the time being and then come back to it when really wish to utilize that technique.

That stuff works to a degree but eventually you find that you just cannot do things that would make you a good player so you remain so-so and never advance to a higher level.

So ... as I said ... I will try to stay with something in this course until I can do it and then move on.

I have to reiterate that seeing David's progress has given me that assurance that this course can help me develop the skills I wish to have.

I just have to DO THE WORK.

My track record in that area has not been too good so as I said .... I will know more in 6 months.

Don

Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course [Re: TonyB] #2734199
05/04/18 09:33 PM
05/04/18 09:33 PM
The Sierras
D
David B Online content
David B  Online Content
D

The Sierras
Here is a simple song from lesson 26 which is a nice change of pace from the rhythmically syncopated songs from the last lesson. There are two songs covered in lesson 26 and the second one is much harder for me because it has optional runs in it which I cannot do. However, I’m going to keep working on it for a couple weeks and then just record it and move on with the choppy runs and all.

For now here is a nice simple little song called “The Loreley.” I learned it pretty quick and it's not really polished. I’d never heard of this song before and Duane has us work on hand crossovers in the arrangement. This is one example of the many songs in this course that I learn and then never play again. The piano sound is the Kawai SK Concert Grand. I’ll play it once through and then arranged.

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 05/04/18 11:00 PM.

Kawai MP-11SE
Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course [Re: David B] #2734315
05/05/18 01:51 PM
05/05/18 01:51 PM
Bay Area CA
P
pwl Online content
Silver Subscriber
pwl  Online Content
Silver Subscriber
P

Bay Area CA
Ooh . . . a (surprise) glissando - YES!

Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course [Re: pwl] #2734347
05/05/18 04:19 PM
05/05/18 04:19 PM
The Sierras
D
David B Online content
David B  Online Content
D

The Sierras
Originally Posted by pwl
Ooh . . . a (surprise) glissando - YES!

Yep. I believe this is the first time it has been introduced in the course. I'm glad you spelled it because I wasn't even sure what he called it. smile

God Bless,
David

Kawai MP-11SE
Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course [Re: dmd] #2734576
05/06/18 03:12 PM
05/06/18 03:12 PM
Twin Cities
T
TonyB Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
TonyB  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
T

Twin Cities
Originally Posted by dmd

I purchased the course !!! LOL ....

That "jazzy" style you showed is what did it.

It appears this course and your dedication to doing it right is working.

While I have been playing for awhile and can play some nice stuff, I know my basic piano skills are weak.

Thank you

Don

Well, Don, here we go again! smile I started this thread and went a ways into the course, around lesson 17 or 18 before I started to fade away again. You and I seem to have followed each other around the self-teaching course circuit. I think the last one for me was the profesional chord system, which s good, but limited for those of us who want to play solo instrumental piano. I really don't know of any other course that will provide it all to us they way the Duane Shinn course does.

Reading the more recent entries to this thread (which I started, by the way), and then seeing that you are here too, I decided to pick it up again. Of course, after being away from it for a while, I felt it best to start over and work my way back to where I was. One of the things Duane says to do is to continually review previous lessons and try adding new techniques we have learned, to those songs we played in those previous lessons.

Anyway, if you really are interested in making a go of this course, then since there are more than one active student now, this thread can serve as our study group. I believe that some folks are motivated enough to go the distance on their own, but many more of us tend to get bored or otherwise side-tracked unless we have other folks to share the journey with. Make no mistake, the Duane Shinn course is a lot of effort for a relatively long period of time. Though it is advertised as a 52 week course, I have read from folks that have been through it, to expect to take twice that long.

I recognized a lot of similarities between you (Don) and myself as we seem to swing from one self-study course to another. As you observed in your posts here, we end up knowing a lot of information, but are quite weak on actually playing anything. Clearly, what we each have been doing has not worked, while the videos posted by David B, show real results. We need to do what he is doing - consistently working with the course, and sticking to it.

If you and anyone else reading this thread are interested, we should commit to a study group here to keep each other motivated. In college, those study groups were often the difference between graduating and not. I think that can work here too.

David B, you are an inspiration, with your posts, and especially your videos showing that you are walking the talk for real. smile

Tony

Last edited by TonyB; 05/06/18 03:14 PM.
Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course [Re: TonyB] #2734581
05/06/18 03:30 PM
05/06/18 03:30 PM
D
dcupright Online content
D

Tony I have just started lesson 4. I am enjoying the course a lot. I just looked and I got the first 4 DVDs 1-25 so it is taking me a complete beginner about a month to get through each lesson. However I have never played before.

At first I thought it was too expensive but I am certainly satisfied with where I am at this point in the game. Now I think it is reasonably priced. Thanks for starting this thread as I had never heard of the course before finding it here. Also thank you David for all the videos, they really help encourage me.

Doug

Yamaha P115
Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course [Re: dcupright] #2734594
05/06/18 04:10 PM
05/06/18 04:10 PM
The Sierras
D
David B Online content
David B  Online Content
D

The Sierras
Originally Posted by TonyB

David B, you are an inspiration, with your posts, and especially your videos showing that you are walking the talk for real. smile

Tony

Also thank you David for all the videos, they really help encourage me.

Wonderful! I'm happy to do it.

It's great more people are getting involved in the course.

I wish everyone the very best in their musical journey.

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 05/06/18 04:11 PM.

Kawai MP-11SE
Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course [Re: dcupright] #2734601
05/06/18 04:25 PM
05/06/18 04:25 PM
Twin Cities
T
TonyB Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
TonyB  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
T

Twin Cities
Tony I have just started lesson 4. I am enjoying the course a lot. I just looked and I got the first 4 DVDs 1-25 so it is taking me a complete beginner about a month to get through each lesson. However I have never played before.

At first I thought it was too expensive but I am certainly satisfied with where I am at this point in the game. Now I think it is reasonably priced. Thanks for starting this thread as I had never heard of the course before finding it here. Also thank you David for all the videos, they really help encourage me.

I think that you will find this course to be quite complete. If you look through the many threads here in the beginner's section at the various questions asked, the Duane Shinn course answers all those and more. More importantly, he does it in the context of the planned structure of the lessons, so that the information is carefully doled out, rather than being given piecemeal, and even possibly wrong (both of which are the risks of depending on the internet for things like that). Here, we have a complete course of study.

If we want to go farther on completion of this course, Duane offers other courses, some as big and complete as this one. So you have a guide through the whole process, which is carefully planned out.

I hope you will continue in this thread with the rest of us. I don't think it really matters which lesson each of us is on, but rather, that we are here sharing our experiences and keeping each other motivated. Those farther ahead can help those on earlier lessons as needed.

Tony

Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course [Re: David B] #2734602
05/06/18 04:28 PM
05/06/18 04:28 PM
Twin Cities
T
TonyB Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
TonyB  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
T

Twin Cities
Originally Posted by TonyB

Tony

Also thank you David for all the videos, they really help encourage me.

Wonderful! I'm happy to do it.

It's great more people are getting involved in the course.

I wish everyone the very best in their musical journey.

God Bless,
David

Thanks David. The problem with many self-study courses, and especially one as big and demanding as the Duane Shinn course, is that many of us start them with good intentions, but very few finish. I have only read posts from two people in this forum over all the years I have been reading it, that have finished this course.

When I was going over my credits with my adviser, preparing to graduate from college, I commented something about how often he must have to go through all this with students. He commented that very few going through college in the night classes ever finish. I did, and it was well worth it. I suppose similar can be said for something like the Duane Shinn course. smile

Thanks for you inspiration...

Tony

Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course [Re: TonyB] #2734624
05/06/18 05:26 PM
05/06/18 05:26 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Wow .... there seems to be a movement started here .... LOL ....

I wished I could say, unequivocally, that I AM IN !!!!

However, I know who I am and my tendencies. smile

About the best I can do is promise to give it a good try and if I accomplish something significant (to me) I will post it with pride.

My problem is that even though I do need work with basic piano skills (that this course provides) I also am able to work out my arrangements of jazz standards and I am reluctant to give that up .... so I will be doing a little of each.

I will just have to see how it goes.

I have noticed something significant (to me, anyway) about this course and that is that it only covers 3 key signatures .... no sharps or flats, 1 flat, and 1 sharp.

Those particular keys are not widely used in jazz material so I am a bit disappointed with that.

However, once again .... this course is for BASIC skills and it does address those very well.

If one finishes the course after having gone through it thoroughly (as in David B) you will be very well prepared for working in any genre you wish.

Good Luck to you all.

Don

Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course [Re: TonyB] #2734628
05/06/18 05:40 PM
05/06/18 05:40 PM
Twin Cities
T
TonyB Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
TonyB  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
T

Twin Cities
I learned to be comfortable in all keys equally via the David Sudnow course. As a result, I can voice chords under the melody from a lead sheet, whatever key the tune is in. The Duane Shinn course provides a lot of the basics that are not covered in the Sudnow method, as do probably many courses. I had not looked that far ahead in the 52 week course to notice that it only covers three keys. I will check into that.

Also, Shinn has several follow-on courses, such as the music theory course, the rhythm course, and the 33 pro techniques. I purchased several of those back when I purchased this course when I was working full time and anticipating retirement on a fixed income. I figured that sooner or later, Duane Shinn might retire and these courses might no longer be available. I am glad to see that has not happened, but I also have no regrets having gotten them when I did. There are years of study in all that material.

The most recent course I purchased from Duane Shinn was a collection of 14 DVDs, with each DVD covering some aspect of piano in detail. One is on pedalling, a couple are on playing the scales, etc. To me, that collection is essentially the stuff you would ask your teacher at a lesson, each a relatively small piece of information that might otherwise fall through the cracks.

There are many paths to get where one wants to go these days in terms of piano courses, and that is a double-edged sword. It is good to have so many teaching styles and courses available to choose from, but it is also a distraction for folks like me who find it difficult to stay focused when the going gets a bit difficult, and the 52 week course does have its challenges.

Well, Don, if you do see your way to going the distance and want to do so here, the more the merrier as the saying goes. smile

Tony

Last edited by TonyB; 05/06/18 05:41 PM.
Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course [Re: TonyB] #2734631
05/06/18 05:44 PM
05/06/18 05:44 PM
L
littlebunny Offline
littlebunny  Offline
L

Hi all. I'm one of those who has started & stopped several times. The fact remains that the piano is not a flute, & I can't just breeze through anything that drops on my stand. Bah humbug, I have to work at this? Work like washing dishes & mopping floors? On occasion I ask myself, so, how good would you be by now if you had stuck with it? So ok, I'll try again. With our little group to cheer each other on, hopefully I'll get all the way through this time. Thanks.

Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course [Re: TonyB] #2734637
05/06/18 05:55 PM
05/06/18 05:55 PM
Twin Cities
T
TonyB Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
TonyB  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
T

Twin Cities
That is great, littlebunny! We could be gathering momentum here.

Tony

Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course [Re: TonyB] #2741454
06/02/18 12:12 AM
06/02/18 12:12 AM
The Sierras
D
David B Online content
David B  Online Content
D

The Sierras
I finally made it halfway through this course. It took me a year and half so I’m hoping maybe around this time next year I’ll be close to finishing it.

Here is a song from lesson 26 (Vienna Life Waltz). This song addressed (for me) the main dilemma for a beginner taking this course, i.e., when to move on to the next lesson? This song is particularly difficult for me because it has lots of runs in it. It’s not the first time runs have come up and it won’t be the last time in this course since there are still over 100 songs left to cover.

I’ve worked on this song for several weeks and I’ve gotten to the point where I realize that there isn’t going to be any significant change in my runs anytime soon. I can execute smooth runs if I slow the song way down (which is how I practice it), but it’s too slow to sound very good. So I’ve got it up to 80bpm (Duane does it at around 100bpm) and I only do three octave runs (Duane does some 4 octave runs), and I realize my runs are not too smooth at this speed, but it's time to move on.

The good news is that there are over 100 songs left in this course and I’m sure I’ll have a chance to develop runs as I continue to progress. That’s the beauty of these lessons. Everything Duane has taught so far has been repeated throughout the course. I’ve gone as far as I care to go with this song. I’m excited about the second half of this course. The piano sound is my new VSL CFX (which I love).

God Bless,
David

Kawai MP-11SE
Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course [Re: David B] #2741565
06/02/18 11:43 AM
06/02/18 11:43 AM
D
dcupright Online content
D

Thanks for posting, I have had lots of problems figuring out when to move on also. I came to the conclusion that it was time to move forward when I feel I am playing the song as best I can considering my limited time playing piano.

Doug

Yamaha P115
Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course [Re: dcupright] #2741641
06/02/18 07:07 PM
06/02/18 07:07 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Thanks for posting, I have had lots of problems figuring out when to move on also. I came to the conclusion that it was time to move forward when I feel I am playing the song as best I can considering my limited time playing piano.

My dentist tells me .... "You only have to floss the teeth you wish to keep".

The same goes for this also.

Only practice to perfection those skills you wish to have.

If you leave a piece before you can play it .... you do not have the skills presented on that piece.

If you leave (for mental health reasons ... LOL ...) .... come back to it as soon as possible and work on it a bit more and work on it periodically until you can play it perfectly.

If you do that, the course will give you the skills you wish to develop.

Don

Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course [Re: dmd] #2741645
06/02/18 07:35 PM
06/02/18 07:35 PM
The Sierras
D
David B Online content
David B  Online Content
D

The Sierras
Originally Posted by dmd

If you leave (for mental health reasons ... LOL ...) .... come back to it as soon as possible and work on it a bit more and work on it periodically until you can play it perfectly.

That's great advice, Don.

I'm not really happy with how I play the last song (Vienna Life Waltz) at 80bpm. It doesn't sound good to my ears and it doesn't feel good to play it. I think I'll take your advice and keep working on it slow and smooth until something starts to change. I'll still move on to the next lesson, but I'll keep working the song with the runs in it until they start to smooth out at speed. I was looking forward to leaving this song in the rearview mirror, but you're making too much sense and have changed my mind. wink

God Bless,
David

Kawai MP-11SE
Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course [Re: David B] #2741649
06/02/18 07:48 PM
06/02/18 07:48 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by dmd

That's great advice, Don.

I'm not really happy with how I play the last song (Vienna Life Waltz) at 80bpm. It doesn't sound good to my ears and it doesn't feel good to play it. I think I'll take your advice and keep working on it slow and smooth until something starts to change. I'll still move on to the next lesson, but I'll keep working the song with the runs in it until they start to smooth out at speed. I was looking forward to leaving this song in the rearview mirror, but you're making too much sense and have changed my mind. wink

Well, unfortunately that advice is easier to give than to take ... myself. LOL .....

I know it is the right way to do things but it is hard to follow sometimes because we always want to go "faster".

After listening to you on Vienna Life .... I think you have to the skill, you just haven't go it up to the speed you want.

If you come back to it periodically you may find you can do it faster just from gaining general keyboard skill from playing other things.

I am currently trying to take my advice as I am hovering around page 50 to the end of book 1.

I keep going back and forth though those pages and lessons 7-9 trying play things cleanly.

Don

Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course [Re: dmd] #2741651
06/02/18 08:30 PM
06/02/18 08:30 PM
The Sierras
D
David B Online content
David B  Online Content
D

The Sierras
Originally Posted by dmd

After listening to you on Vienna Life .... I think you have to the skill, you just haven't go it up to the speed you want.

If you come back to it periodically you may find you can do it faster just from gaining general keyboard skill from playing other things.

Yeah, the runs feel more natural paying them slow but the melody doesn't sound good slow. That's why I bumped it up to 80bpm. Duane plays it around 100bpm and has 4 octave runs that are buttery smooth. I'll keep working on it.

I am currently trying to take my advice as I am hovering around page 50 to the end of book 1.

I keep going back and forth though those pages and lessons 7-9 trying play things cleanly.

I remember from that portion of the course, Sonota Theme pg. 50 and My Faith Looks up to Thee pg. 17 supplementary book. I recorded both of those songs. Alberti bass was introduced and was new to me at the time. I've kept My Faith Looks up to Thee in my repertoire and played it today on an actual acoustic grand.

It's great to get an update from you.

God Bless,
David

Kawai MP-11SE
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hurt Feelings
by DutchTea. 12/15/18 08:20 PM
Terrific practitioner of the Russian technique
by MrCatMissMew. 12/15/18 06:41 PM
Jeremy Denk plus three violinists
by Hank M. 12/15/18 02:39 PM
Help Newbie please
by Jozefthemad. 12/15/18 02:17 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,926
Posts2,771,654
Members91,770
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission