Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
108 registered members (Andy Perkins, astrotoy, Beemer, AWilley, Animisha, AYS, 30 invisible), 1,404 guests, and 545 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Pianoteq Steinway Model B [Re: scorpio] #2505787 01/31/16 07:05 AM
TheodorN Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks Greg, thought I had the latest Pianoteq, but it turned out I only had 5.4.2. I installed the latest 5.5.0 and now the Model B turns up in the interface. I falsely assumed it had to be downloaded separately, but it's included in the latest version.

Modartt would do well to make it clearer that users have to upgrade to the latest version to get this new modeled piano.

Last edited by TheodorN; 01/31/16 07:06 AM.

My YouTube channel

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX. Prod. Voices: Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand Compact, Est. Grand, Studio Grand LE. NI Giant. Galaxy II Blüthner Baby Grand. AcousticSamples C7. AK Studio Grand. Sampletekk Black. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Pianoteq Steinway Model B [Re: Providence] #2505799 01/31/16 08:37 AM
J
Jake Jackson Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Providence
Originally Posted by Jake Jackson
Providence,

When you say that the sound is not complex enough, are you speaking of any specific aspect of the sound? The beating? The decay? The attack?

These kinds of comments, put forward as productive criticism, are welcomed on the Pianoteq site. Modartt does listen., and will respond to critiques. One thing that helps is if the critique is accompanied by an mp3 of a note, chord, or passage that you like and then the same note, chord, or passage recorded in Pianoteq (using the free demo version, say).

Not trying to be diplomatic, here. Trying to get you to post a critique on the Pianoteq forum and open a discussion of what you are hearing or not hearing.

I should mention that I sometimes beta-test for Modartt. That may seem to limit my objectivity, but it also makes me aware that Modartt is very painstaking, and listens and learns. Please do report your impressions to them. Or we'll come and find you. :-)

Hi Jake,
I believe you may be referring to an earlier post from Strat who voiced his opinion earlier?. I own Pianoteq v3 but have not really felt tempted to upgrade since then as I haven't really perceived much progress (as others have) in the sound. I am keen to hear what version 6 will bring to the table...
Cheers

Yes, that message should have been addressed to Strat. My apologies. Do please make comparison files and post them on the Pianoteq site. That way progress lies.

Re: Pianoteq Steinway Model B [Re: TheodorN] #2505814 01/31/16 09:32 AM
MacMacMac Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Kontakt has this same problem ...
Originally Posted by TheodorN
... I only had [pianoteq] 5.4.2. I installed the latest 5.5.0 and now the Model B turns up ...
Modartt would do well to make it clearer that users have to upgrade to the latest version ...
It seems that every new Kontakt-based piano from NI or from Galaxy has this same requirement. Annoying.

Re: Pianoteq Steinway Model B [Re: TheodorN] #2505822 01/31/16 09:53 AM
B
Beakybird Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Thanks Greg, thought I had the latest Pianoteq, but it turned out I only had 5.4.2. I installed the latest 5.5.0 and now the Model B turns up in the interface. I falsely assumed it had to be downloaded separately, but it's included in the latest version.

Modartt would do well to make it clearer that users have to upgrade to the latest version to get this new modeled piano.

Let me get this straight! I had Pianoteq Stage 5.32 or something like that with K2 + D4, and I purchased the Model B I think, then upgraded. I can't remember. But I paid $59. Are you saying that this $59 purchase was unnecessary?

Roland FP-90; Pianoteq 6 + many add-ons; 2 Yamaha HS8s; ATH-M50X and Samson SR850 headphones; Xenyx Q802USB interface. 2; I make a living playing a Yamaha PSR-S970 with FBT Maxx 2a's, Crowne Headset Mic. I also play guitar.
Re: Pianoteq Steinway Model B [Re: TheodorN] #2505824 01/31/16 09:59 AM
S
stamkorg Offline
S

Yes,
Now, for Pianoteq, as a modeling software, all the different instruments are included inside. By buying a licence for an instrument, in fact you just unlock something that is already inside the machine cool
That's why the latest version is needed.

Re: Pianoteq Steinway Model B [Re: Beakybird] #2505826 01/31/16 10:10 AM
S
stamkorg Offline
S
Originally Posted by Beakybird

Let me get this straight! I had Pianoteq Stage 5.32 or something like that with K2 + D4, and I purchased the Model B I think, then upgraded. I can't remember. But I paid $59. Are you saying that this $59 purchase was unnecessary?

To be clear,
To play the Model B, you must have Pianoteq 5.5, since this model doesn't exist in previous versions.
If you use version 5.32 then the upgrade to version 5.5 is free. What you payed is the new Model B

Re: Pianoteq Steinway Model B [Re: scorpio] #2505829 01/31/16 10:15 AM
B
Beakybird Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
To clear up the licensing question, I just got an email from Pianoteq. If you upgrade to 5.5, the Model B will appear in demo mode. If you want to play all the notes, it has to be purchased.

I'm a happy camper now.

Roland FP-90; Pianoteq 6 + many add-ons; 2 Yamaha HS8s; ATH-M50X and Samson SR850 headphones; Xenyx Q802USB interface. 2; I make a living playing a Yamaha PSR-S970 with FBT Maxx 2a's, Crowne Headset Mic. I also play guitar.
Re: Pianoteq Steinway Model B [Re: scorpio] #2507078 02/04/16 05:49 AM
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
I am still unclear on what the 5.5 model refinements are and how they "affect" the other pianos.
The claim is that those instruments are unchanged, so I am left wondering if/how the 5.5 improvements are somehow disabled when playing 5.4 instruments.
or only switched on for 5.5 instruments and beyond...

BTW, the Linux 5.5 is about 8 Meg smaller than the Windoze 5.5, I think this is the biggest percentage size difference so far

Re: Pianoteq Steinway Model B [Re: R_B] #2515361 02/27/16 10:36 AM
petes1 Offline
Originally Posted by R_B
I am still unclear on what the 5.5 model refinements are and how they "affect" the other pianos.
The claim is that those instruments are unchanged, so I am left wondering if/how the 5.5 improvements are somehow disabled when playing 5.4 instruments.
or only switched on for 5.5 instruments and beyond...

BTW, the Linux 5.5 is about 8 Meg smaller than the Windoze 5.5, I think this is the biggest percentage size difference so far

Per the Pianoteq folk in own forum their own forum:

Short answer: yes.
More detailed answer: while refining the model, we still want Pianoteq to be able to reproduce exactly what it was doing before. This is important for the user (you want a given project to reproduce exactly what it was doing before) and for the developers/testers (being able to compare is very important). Although sometimes we cannot achieve this 100% (for some technical coding reason), we do achieve it at say 99.99%: Pianoteq 5 is still able to produce the sound of version 1 (you could test this by loading legacy versions). That brings of course some new questions, but you are not obliged to ask wink.

and

It would be awesome if ALL models got a "use latest engine precision" button, so for old project compatibility that would be off by default, but user could enable it and ALL the pianos could be brought up to the latest iteration of the model.
Would that be hard to achieve, Philippe? smile

Yes, it is a lot of work, it cannot be automated because the new details in the model need to be tuned separately for each instrument. Each instrument has its own characteristics, and it is a bit like a tailor making a new dress: he has to adjust it for each person.

I have to say that after putting Pianoteq 5.5 and the Model B through their paces, that I am a convert. Finally Pianoteq has created a tool that matches many of the sampled pianos I've tried but with a much smaller footprint and great responsiveness.

Well done Modartt.

Keys: Yamaha GC2, Casio Privia PX-3, Roland RD800, Alesis VI61, Pianoteq 6.0
My motto: Play and Let Play!
Re: Pianoteq Steinway Model B [Re: scorpio] #2528363 04/06/16 09:34 PM
S
shooter Offline
S
What would be the benefit of paying extra money for a "B" when I already have a "D"?
(And the K2)

Re: Pianoteq Steinway Model B [Re: shooter] #2528365 04/06/16 09:39 PM
petes1 Offline
Originally Posted by shooter
What would be the benefit of paying extra money for a "B" when I already have a "D"?
(And the K2)

There would be no benefit if it didn't move and enthrall you, but luckily you have nothing to lose to try it out (if you have PianoTeq 5.5). If so, play with it yourself a little bit (minus some black keys on the north and south side of the keyboard), and make your own informed choice. As for me, I'm enthralled.

Keys: Yamaha GC2, Casio Privia PX-3, Roland RD800, Alesis VI61, Pianoteq 6.0
My motto: Play and Let Play!
Re: Pianoteq Steinway Model B [Re: scorpio] #2528530 04/07/16 11:57 AM
D
Doritos Flavoured Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
what lovely digital age

I can have ferraris and lamborghini's in my games and concert grands sounding through tiny speakers in my tiny living room. smile

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
Re: Pianoteq Steinway Model B [Re: Doritos Flavoured] #2528695 04/08/16 02:11 AM
C
Celdor Offline
C
Originally Posted by Doritos Flavoured
what lovely digital age

I can have ferraris and lamborghini's in my games and concert grands sounding through tiny speakers in my tiny living room. smile

More than that, you can take your Ferrari or Lamborghini and tune it to match your demands smile

Zbigniew

[Linked Image]
Re: Pianoteq Steinway Model B [Re: scorpio] #2528808 04/08/16 10:46 AM
E
Edb123 Offline
E
Will Pianoteq get released as an iPad app ??

Re: Pianoteq Steinway Model B [Re: scorpio] #2528846 04/08/16 12:30 PM
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
There have been a number of suggestions/requests for various platforms in the Pianoteq forum.

The development team never seem to wade in on those topics - perhaps understandably.
I am not at all sure that I would want to use the speakers in any of the various i-devices for PTQ anyway and my keyboard is in a very FIXED location - hooked to a 15 inch keyboard amp, so the utility of Pianoteq as an "app" would have no meaning for me.

BTW, it is HUNDREDS of dollars for the standard version, I wouldn't want to come down market with a product that fetches that much in order to compete with the 99c impulse purchase "apps".

Last edited by R_B; 04/08/16 12:32 PM.
Re: Pianoteq Steinway Model B [Re: scorpio] #2533736 04/25/16 08:15 AM
M
Mta88 Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Just tried this out. I gotta say I'm impressed. Still not as good as the latest sampled software pianos to my ears but gosh the playability is amazing.

Realism or not this new insturment from pianoteq is so much fun to play.

U really can feel the emotional connection to the insturment.

It's a big improvement for me, .

I look forward to seeing what else they can do. They are heading in the right direction.

::Yamaha p105::Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors::Presonus USB Audiobox:: Audio Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphones::

::Kayserburg UH 132 Royal Vertical::
Re: Pianoteq Steinway Model B [Re: Mta88] #2534032 04/26/16 01:59 AM
L
l.blissett Offline
L
Originally Posted by Mta88
Just tried this out. I gotta say I'm impressed. Still not as good as the latest sampled software pianos to my ears but gosh the playability is amazing.

I look forward to seeing what else they can do. They are heading in the right direction.

Well, yes. I somehow feel the same with Pianoteq. Thats why i still try to get along with it. I otherwise would have dropped it already.

I just cant find much difference between the many piano models and presets. The somehow sound all very similar to me. Maybe i am missing something, but which one of the different presets to you use für daily playing?

I am looking for the most warm and rich setting/model you can currently get with the pianoteq software. What kind of tweaks are there to go in this direction?

Re: Pianoteq Steinway Model B [Re: l.blissett] #2534040 04/26/16 02:43 AM
S
slobajudge Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by l.blissett
Originally Posted by Mta88

Well, yes. I somehow feel the same with Pianoteq. Thats why i still try to get along with it. I otherwise would have dropped it already.

I just cant find much difference between the many piano models and presets. The somehow sound all very similar to me. Maybe i am missing something, but which one of the different presets to you use für daily playing?

I am looking for the most warm and rich setting/model you can currently get with the pianoteq software. What kind of tweaks are there to go in this direction?

Personally, I use only the newest Steinway B prelude with default settings (model B is way ahead from all others Pianoteq pianos, IMHO), external reverbe (internal off), and velocity tweak that I feel the best for my keyboard, and I like that way very much. If Modartt put in version 6 the difference as they put from 4 to 5 version, then I think that the sample pianos go to history, at least as a solo intrument.

Last edited by slobajudge; 04/26/16 02:50 AM.
Re: Pianoteq Steinway Model B [Re: scorpio] #2534106 04/26/16 09:25 AM
S
sirwormsalot Offline
S
The only digital piano library worth getting is the one with string resonance, as has already been mentioned ITT. Otherwise, why bother? Designers need to pay attention to quality if they are attempting to sell a realistic piano sound. There's no excuse in today's market to leave out string resonance, even if it is 'complicated' to do.

Re: Pianoteq Steinway Model B [Re: scorpio] #2534195 04/26/16 02:39 PM
M
Mta88 Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I still love the grandeur the most... with the least latency I can achieve. It feels amazing to play..

But there is something about pianoteq that I really cannot put my finger on... it's still very nice to play..

I would use the steinway B gentle setting.

Don't care for the player setting too much

::Yamaha p105::Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors::Presonus USB Audiobox:: Audio Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphones::

::Kayserburg UH 132 Royal Vertical::
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Piano World 

ad
Rob Mullins Holiday Album
Rob Mullins Holiday Album

Rob is an amazing jazz pianist in LA,a composer, and a friend of mine.
Frank B. / Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Played a Clavinova at the PianoBuddies recital
by Rickster - 12/15/19 11:53 AM
Peter Lorre
by PhilipInChina - 12/15/19 11:40 AM
Roland FP60 vs Yamaha P515?
by Helvecio - 12/15/19 11:24 AM
MyDexibell has no sound on my B key
by pianomike - 12/15/19 09:12 AM
Bach Inventions
by cmb13 - 12/15/19 08:52 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,669
Posts2,901,822
Members95,249
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission