2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2532339 04/20/16 10:01 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Hello!

I have a Roland FP-30 , and I was trying the Midi over Bluetooth function.
It is great to write music with an editor like Finale or Sibelius, but I experience some uneven Latency problems when used to trigger a VST in realtime.
With an USB cable works fine (just to discard that is a problem of my software).
I experience an "uneven Latency" that means for some seconds works fine, and some others with latency , and so...

Someone made some experience with this? or with another Bluetooth Midi device?

Just curious....

Saludos!

Pablo

Pablo Woiz
Yamaha G2, Roland Fp-30 //before: Technics p-30, Casio Privia px-100, Yamaha MX-49, M.Audio Axiom-61, Yamaha CP-80, Roland f-20, Upright Zimmermann.
www.pablowoiz.com
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Bluetooth MIDI or Wireless LAN MIDI is not going to have the type of latency performance we have come to expect from long used and proven methods like 5pin MIDI interfaces and more recently USB. MIDI over WiFi is generally horribly flakey, increasing over greater distance. I am sure this is also true for MIDI over bluetooth. There is probably a sweet spot where the transmitting device needs to sit in relation to the computer to achieve optimal performance and when you move out of that zone, anything is possible. MIDI over bluetooth is a convenience, not a professional solution for low, consistent, measurable, and compensate-able latency.

With that said, the only wireless MIDI solution I have ever heard positive reviews on is a device called MIDIjet Pro USB which does up to 500feet using a frequency of 2.4ghz. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDIjetProUSB

B
B
I checked out this web site - they seem to imply that the 2.4GHz frequency band is the reason they have little interference. Both WiFi and Bluetooth use that band so that is not the reason.

If it is indeed better, I suspect they are simply using Wifi with some QoS features enabled for the midi traffic (similar to how video/voip/etc traffic can also be treated as higher priority traffic with guaranteed bandwidth).

Bluetooth also has some QoS features - I wonder if companies like Roland can simply enable and tune these features to improve the latencies?

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks a lot for your frustrating comments wink !!

Well, I have to assume that Wireless Midi to play in realtime, it´s not "already here". (or not in FP-30 at least)
We have to wait still some years.
Anyway bluetooth midi its very usefull for not realtime apps, like notation programs. I am already enjoying that!

Thanks again!

Pablo

Pablo Woiz
Yamaha G2, Roland Fp-30 //before: Technics p-30, Casio Privia px-100, Yamaha MX-49, M.Audio Axiom-61, Yamaha CP-80, Roland f-20, Upright Zimmermann.
www.pablowoiz.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission