2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,814 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
My camera has died, but, I'll see what I can do. It's time to go shopping anyway.

First, I will have to check in at CameraWorld for advice. There is a thread about a new one with lenses that are ground on the north side of a mountain in Switzerland and the shutter actions are of Renner design. I think it is the Nikonsteinwin 190, but, I'm not sure.

I'll be honest and fess up. My camera didn't die, it was a case of involuntary cameraslaughter. I have learned to never lean too far to the side of a canoe, trying to get the perfect shot. I found my brief and unexpected swim to be refreshing, but, my camera did not.

-- cursing
shocked

Marty in Minnesota
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Marty_2:
My camera has died, but, I'll see what I can do. It's time to go shopping anyway.

First, I will have to check in at CameraWorld for advice. There is a thread about a new one with lenses that are ground on the north side of a mountain in Switzerland and the shutter actions are of Renner design. I think it is the Nikonsteinwin 190, but, I'm not sure.

I'll be honest and fess up. My camera didn't die, it was a case of involuntary cameraslaughter. I have learned to never lean too far to the side of a canoe, trying to get the perfect shot. I found my brief and unexpected swim to be refreshing, but, my camera did not.

-- cursing
shocked
Land of lakes...lol

Hi all,...

I'm a student of Kenny's School of Homemade String Covers,... so I would like to add my 2 cents,...

I also have a shorter piano - M&H A.

I bought my felt from Aetna Felt .

60" wide 100% wool felt - they only have 15 3/4 oz weight - they have different color choices than Central Shippee and they also provide free samples. Get samples from both companies and decide on the color that works best for you.

I bought 2 yards of the felt,... and used the leftover for a keyboard cover so far,... Eventually I'll use the rest of the leftovers for a music desk cover,... the M&H's music desk shape is a bit tricky,... smile

I also do not notice any sound differences with the heavier felt,... but I'm no audiophile and I have nowhere near Kenny's or Frycek's piano skills.

Make sure you use a fabric scissors for a nice clean cut.

I used the piano lid as a template. Close the piano. Unroll the felt on top of the lid and cut 1-2 inches wider than the lid.

In my case,... the cover is touching the bass strings so I made a couple of felt covered wood dowels attached with velcro to keep it from touching the strings.

When you remove it,... once in a while you may want to run a lint remover roller accross the top to remove any accumulated dust.

Here's my String Cover

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dowels

[Linked Image]

Velcro

[Linked Image]

I hope this helps,...

Regards,

Robert

Mason & Hamlin - A - 92514
Roland A-90 EX
"When you fall down,... pick up something!"
I was wondering if there is a clear picture of Edwards cover somewhere in the forum? I would like to see the differences in texture between woven wool and wool felt. Anyone knows?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
FYI {For Your Information} Everybody,

This post is not being made, by me, to start any controversy regarding the various brands of pianos owned by all of you wonderful Piano Forum members, or the methods that you might employ to protect your piano's music rack. In my opinion, Kenny's slip cover music rack protector is a brilliant solution. smile

But, I thought this might be an alternative way of protecting your Ebony Polish music rack ...
-------------------
From Kawai's Web www.kawaius.com

Hard Finish Music Rack:

The music rack must support a variety of music books and music writing implements. Kawai's Hard Finish protects the music rack from being scratched or marred... preserving the piano's beauty. The Hard Finish Music Rack is an exclusive feature of all RX Series grand pianos finished in Polished Ebony.
-------------------------

I thought that If interested in re-doing your music rack, you might want to check with your local Kawai dealer and ask if they can refinish your ebony polish music rack with Hard Finish. I don't know if they can or cannot. Just my 2 cents thought.

No flames please, my asbestos flame retardant suit is at the Dry Cleaners... smile

Best to all .. smile

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
46 Years in the Piano Industry
Retired Kawai/Shigeru Kawai Regional Manager
(My posts and threads are my opinions only)
Bear-

I have my stopwatch and I'll be counting the seconds ....

I have a new RX model piano with the Hard Finish rack. So far so good...but I think I still like Kenny's idea. I tend to place a good amount of material on the sides on either end of the music rack. Bad habit --but my son works out of 5 books and I have 6 of my own. It's a constant shuffle. I think I would feel better at least having the platforms on either side of the rack covered.

I also have a comb binding machine here at home and most of our piano books are crafted to lay flat. So far--no scratches but it makes me a tad nervous.

p/s... Robert--that is a beauty! Well done!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Less Rubato,

I think the entire music desk could possibly be refinished with Hard Finish.

But, as I stated before, Kenny's solution to the problem is brilliant and I wouldn't hesitate using his method on my piano too if I knew how to sew! smile

Warmest regards,

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
But Bear, wouldn't it be better to extinguish the the flames with water?

I put my asbestos suite in the resevoir of my Piano Saver system, add some Tide, and agitate with some Rachmaninov. It comes out nice and clean. laugh

Marty in Minnesota
I wish Kawai would have put the hard finish on the music tables (on the sides of the stand) too. The RX2 I was considering is all scratched up on the tables from the students having recital on it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hey Marty 2,

Thanks for the advice.
I guess during the last flame war,
I went wrong by trying to put out the flames
by dousing them with gasoline. laugh

Best,

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
Dear Barry,

You always meant well, even when your opinions differed from others, so NOBODY should ever hold anything against you!

I must say though that the GS30 I tried sounds better than the 2 RX2 I tried recently. Is it because the RX2s were out of tune and scratched up on the surface? maybe, or maybe because the GS30 was simply magical due to its exceptionally good genes (and prep)? Who knows.

I however thank you for your suggestions as I agree with you 100% that Kawai as a company, makes wonderful instruments!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by RoseMe:
I wish Kawai would have put the hard finish on the music tables (on the sides of the stand) too. The RX2 I was considering is all scratched up on the tables from the students having recital on it.
RoseMe,

Excellent point. smile
Although I'm retired I'll suggest to Kawai to consider
doing just what you said.
Hard Finish on the entire music desk.

For the RX-2 that you are considering, the side tables
could be buffed out if they are just surface scratches.
If not, Kenny's solution would cover up the scratches.

All the best,

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by RoseMe:
Dear Barry,

You always meant well, even when your opinions differed from others, so NOBODY should ever hold anything against you!

I must say though that the GS30 I tried sounds better than the 2 RX2 I tried recently. Is it because the RX2s were out of tune and scratched up on the surface? maybe, or maybe because the GS30 was simply magical due to its exceptionally good genes (and prep)? Who knows.

I however thank you for your suggestions as I agree with you 100% that Kawai as a company, makes wonderful instruments!
RoseMe,

Thank you very much for the kind words. smile

Hard for me to answer your questions regarding the 2 RX-2s vs the GS-30. Obviously tuning, extra good prep, size, acoustics, and many other things affect touch and tone with various pianos
even of the same brand and model.
In my opinion, you are shopping the right way by auditioning many different pianos until you find the one you like best, be it a Kawai or not.

Best of luck with your search RoseMe. smile

Sincerely,

Bear

P.S. Humongous apologies to Kenny for my post piracy! shocked

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
K
kenny Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
K
Originally posted by Bear 1:

P.S. Humongous apologies to Kenny for my post piracy! shocked
Aye Swabbie, Off With Yer Head! laugh

[Linked Image]

I like the wood dowels idea.
Do you have to have velcro on there? If I don't add velcro will that be a big issue?

Hi RoseMe,...

You can get by without the velcro. It's just going to be a bit trickier to adjust the cover from side to side when you put it on since the dowel may shift and fall on the strings.

There are 2 ways to eliminate this hassle,... either use longer dowels or,... I'm thinking about redoing this with longer sleeve filled with 3 separate dowel segments so it can bend and sit nicely on the plate.

Instead of creating individual sleeves for the dowels,... I've also read about others successfully using fabric glue to attach another piece of felt right on the cover to create pockets for you to insert the dowel into,...

Regards,

Robert

Mason & Hamlin - A - 92514
Roland A-90 EX
"When you fall down,... pick up something!"
So I got the 100% wool woven fabric today. Will post picture of the fabric, please tell me if it is a safe one to use.... Thanks!

question..... how do I attach pictures?

question..... how do I attach pictures?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission