2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
70 members (AWilley, accordeur, barneyh, 36251, AaronSF, AntonAnton, anotherscott, 18 invisible), 467 guests, and 482 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Maintaining a repertoire piece
#2526603 04/01/16 01:26 AM
B
bolt Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I felt like I wanted to keep my last piece as a repertoire piece. I thought that by playing it once per day I could keep it in good shape. This was the first piece I ever really wanted to keep.

But as it turns out I can feel the piece is slowly going downhill from the level I had it at, even though I've played it once every day since I moved on. It has only been three weeks since I finished it. Today I had to really work on fixing some problems.

Since I spent a lot of time working on it while learning it I didn't really want to have to keep putting a lot more time into it. But I'd hate to lose it.

Just looking for advice on this subject, because I've never kept repertoire before - I always just felt like moving on to something better.

"There is more to this piano playing malarkey than meets the eye" - adultpianist
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Maintaining a repertoire piece
bolt #2526663 04/01/16 03:56 AM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by bolt

Since I spent a lot of time working on it while learning it I didn't really want to have to keep putting a lot more time into it. But I'd hate to lose it.

If it's a piece that stretches your current technical capability (i.e. you're having to play right at the edge of your technique to play it properly), you'll need to do more than just revisit it once a day, at least for a while, to maintain it. Little gremlins creep in easily, and get ingrained.....

I suggest that you take extra time once a week to really practice it (as in isolating the problem spots and practicing them by themselves, extra slowly if required, before reinstating them into the piece) until it's 'perfect' again.

After anything from several weeks to months, you'll find that you don't have to do this quite so often - maybe once every two weeks, or once a month.

It can be time-consuming to maintain such a piece, so make sure it's something you really want to keep indefinitely. Otherwise, let it go, and you can always pick it up again later on, and you might well find it much easier than you think to regain fluency, after you've had more repertoire under your belt, and your technique is much better etc. Don't forget that easier pieces are much easier to maintain.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
bolt #2526752 04/01/16 10:39 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That is some really great advice right there. Thanks bennevis !

http://PianoCheetah.app - my weird piano practice program
bolt #2526764 04/01/16 11:14 AM
B
bolt Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks bennevis. It's not at the edge of my technique but it's a lot of detail to keep in memory accurately. I'll try what you say but maybe also try to play it twice on some days too.

There were a few other pieces in the past that I really wanted to keep and I let each of them slide away.

I think it's a bit sad if you've been playing for years and you have nothing you can play - other than your current pieces you're working on - if you are somewhere where there's a piano.

Curious what other people are doing on the subject of keeping pieces as memorized repertoire. Does everyone have repertoire?

"There is more to this piano playing malarkey than meets the eye" - adultpianist
bolt #2526769 04/01/16 11:31 AM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
The suggestion from the book The Musician's Way, is 20% for repertoire, 40% for learning new pieces, 20% musicianship, 20% technique. Some approximate 20% by allocating one day a week just for old pieces.

What ever a person can do with that 20% of time is their level. Some are good at memorizing, some are average, some are terrible. Those that are terrible are going to have a tougher time and will tend to have smaller repertoires. A small group sight reads well enough to keep repertoire without memorizing. Most of them are naturally gifted sight readers that often say they never had to work on the skill. It just came to them while they did their normal piece practice.

No, not everyone keeps repertoire. My educated but anecdotal guess from reading posts, is about 20% of the active folks on this forum, keep nothing. Zero, zip, nada. For most, it is a conscious choice.

I suggest that everyone try to have at least one piece, that they can play from memory when they see a random piano.

Last edited by Sand Tiger; 04/01/16 11:39 AM.
bolt #2526833 04/01/16 01:58 PM
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

I have a dozen and a half presentable pieces that I maintain and play all the time, and one (White Christmas) that I only need once a year. I find that getting it out every couple months is enough.

There are a couple (Stardust and Blue Skies) that I've done my best to totally forget, because I want to bring them back with completely different arrangements some day.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
bolt #2526868 04/01/16 04:15 PM
S
S
A lot of the pieces we learn are on the edge of our abilities and not really cemented into our memories.

My advice: Allow your self to lose the piece--just for a little while. Then get back to it. And it will come back quickly. After the third time you've learned a piece, it is yours.

Moreover, once you've re-learned something a couple of times, you will find yourself manipulating the notes and pulling more expression out of them... without even really trying.

So much music and so little time!
-----------------------------------
1916 Mason & Hamlin BB
Yamaha P155
Sand Tiger #2527126 04/02/16 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by Sand Tiger
I suggest that everyone try to have at least one piece, that they can play from memory when they see a random piano.

I've thought that many times; I'm going to start on something.

In progress:
Working through First Lessons in Bach and Russian Music Book 1

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP under 3000 euros
by Pullman12 - 11/24/20 03:21 PM
Recording device - Recommendations
by Kinimod - 11/24/20 02:52 PM
Your opinions on my digital mixer setup
by Abdol - 11/24/20 02:37 PM
Thumb under for bluesy tunes
by AntonAnton - 11/24/20 12:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,022
Posts3,026,755
Members99,360
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission