2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
BNelson Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hello,
I'm new to the forum and hoping to find some help with my Roland EP-7 that's missing some notes. One whole quadrant of 8 notes is out: G#6 thru D#7. I've disassembled the unit and done a cursory exam and checked the ribbon connectors with no luck. Since the rest of the keys play--both below and above--I'm hoping this is a good sign and indicative of a bad solder joint or broken trace in and around that section of keys. I don't know if the IC that manages these notes can go bad in such a way as to wipe out one quadrant of notes?
Any advice would be much appreciated!
Bruce

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Usually the contact strips are in 8's, so it appears that that contact strip is faulty. They are inexpensive, and pretty easy to service, if you know what you're doing.

I'm not 100%, but am pretty sure that a local branch of Roland will keep those in stock. It is an old board so you might be out of luck.

Let them know the Model and Serial number when you call, and hopefully they can get you up and running fast.

Jay

Industry Consultant
B
BNelson Offline OP
OP Offline
B
So, a faulty contact strip could take out the entire bank of 8 notes? I'll check into it. I should mention that I just acquired the instrument and noticed yesterday that the demo and the record/play function don't work. Perhaps this wasn't such a great deal after all. The seller advised me of the non-operating notes but said nothing about the other items. I was hoping the notes would be a simple fix. There is a Roland repair center here in town, but with a $70.00 up-front fee just to open the device, I always first attempt to repair items myself. Well, thank you for the advice.
Bruce

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yeah....thats how they work on some older pianos. Grouped in 8.

Hope it goes well for you.

The EP-7 was a really popular instrument for us. Sold bucket loads of them when they were available so there should be lots on the used market, in varying condition.

When i was in retail, I sold those almost exclusively to either beginners , or to elderly people who said their hands didn't have the strength they used to have, and wanted something simple.

That was the EP-7 alright.

Jay

Industry Consultant
B
BNelson Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Years ago I had an HP-2000 that I dearly loved. The action was like none other that I have ever played, even my RD-600 that I owned. And paired with a B3 it was an awesome combination. I wish I could find another one. Any idea why the demo and record functions are not working? And, might you happen to have any service knowledge on the JV-880s? Let me know.
Bruce

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Could be that the switches beneath the buttons are worn. That is most likely.

I have no service knowledge of the JV-880's at all.

Jay

Industry Consultant

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission