2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 6 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
I'm looking for a new challenging piece to learn and am willing to spend several months on it if necessary. As for my experience, I have been playing piano for about 8 years and would probably consider Chopin's Fantasie-Impromptu to be the most technically demanding piece I know how to play. If you consider Moonlight Sonata mov 3 to be too far of a goal to set please suggest another piece that may be up to par if not harder than Fantasie-Impromptu. Thank you! smile

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Id like a go at that when Ive had a crack at the second movement. My fingers do not want to know this, and my brain protesteth greatly. But the third mvt should be easier than FI which has quadruple notes using fingers which need to be athletically trained. .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Michael Astourian
Re: How hard.. is Beethoven's moonlight sonata 3rd movement?

I would say probably harder then the 1st and 2nd movements. Are you playing them already?
Originally Posted by Michael Astourian
I'm looking for a new challenging piece ... As for my experience, I have been playing piano for about 8 years and would probably consider Chopin's Fantasie-Impromptu to be the most technically demanding piece I know how to play. If you consider Moonlight Sonata mov 3 to be too far of a goal to set ...

How are you making out with the technically demanding bits?

To me the 3rd movement, although fabulous sections, even when it is played very well it still sounds muddy and is not among my favorites. Plus, it is a monster to learn from what I understand. If you want to learn it and then keep it in your regular repertoire, would require constant upkeep. For me it would anyway and would require too much maintenance. If you've managed well with the Chopin, you have plenty of choices now. Many members here could help you with that. Choices, and much better ones I think. Seeking out professional advice and couching is often suggested, depending how serious you want to be.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In The Pianist's Guide to Standard Teaching and Performance Literature (Alfred Publishing, 1995), which is aimed at the needs of teachers and students, Magrath says that "the final movement requires a mature pianist and presents enormous technical difficultires" (p. 66). She grades the sonata as a whole (including the last movement) at level 10, which is the most difficult level in her rating system.

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
If you play the Fantaisie-Impromptu comfortably then I see no problem here.

It will be easier going if you already have your 4-note broken chord exercises up to the same tempo at which you'd like to play them in Moonlight, in all keys, without tension or pain. And comfortable octave scales, again without tension or pain.

Just don't charge in playing it loud and fast with tense hands for hours on end.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission