Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
131 registered members (Amedeus, 8ude, Alex C, ando, Animisha, almo82, A Guy, anotherscott, Andy001, 31 invisible), 1,480 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: Norbert] #2523917
03/23/16 02:50 PM
03/23/16 02:50 PM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
J

Reseda, California
Originally Posted by Norbert
Last we had to do with Keyboard, which was several years ago, we were told that they were specializing in moving Harleys, not so much pianos anymore.

So they'd be perfect for moving this one:

http://pianosxxi.com/piano/custompiano/harley/

;-)

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: Rich Galassini] #2523920
03/23/16 02:56 PM
03/23/16 02:56 PM
Melville Saskatchewan
F
FrankCox Online content
500 Post Club Member
FrankCox  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
F

Melville Saskatchewan
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
Keyboard Carriage has gotten much better in customer service and accessibility. In retrospect, the issue was going into Western Canada with a full truck. They could not afford to make the trip for just a few pianos.

They shouldn't have taken the job if they were unable to complete it in a timely manner.

I ordered ceramic floor tiles to be installed in my theatre lobby several years ago. The date the installation was scheduled arrived, I moved all kinds of stuff out of the way the night before, and nobody showed up. I phoned to ask what's going on and was told, "Oh, we haven't ordered the tiles for that job yet."

I've now use a different outfit for tile and carpet, obviously.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2523922
03/23/16 02:59 PM
03/23/16 02:59 PM
Melville Saskatchewan
F
FrankCox Online content
500 Post Club Member
FrankCox  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
F

Melville Saskatchewan
Harley joke:

What's the difference between a Harley Davidson and a vacuum cleaner?

The vacuum cleaner has the dirt bag on the inside.

smile

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2523935
03/23/16 03:26 PM
03/23/16 03:26 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by FrankCox
They shouldn't have taken the job if they were unable to complete it in a timely manner.

I ordered ceramic floor tiles to be installed in my theatre lobby several years ago. The date the installation was scheduled arrived, I moved all kinds of stuff out of the way the night before, and nobody showed up. I phoned to ask what's going on and was told, "Oh, we haven't ordered the tiles for that job yet."

I've now use a different outfit for tile and carpet, obviously.

It's bad to say, but I think this is common with a lot of construction contractors. Another common tactic they use is, if they get the job (low bidder, etc...) they will start the job and then not show up for days while working on/finishing another job. That way, it is harder for the customer to fire them and get someone else.

I don't know, maybe that is why I try to do as much as I can around my house myself. Around my house, I'm the plumber, the painter, the appliance repair person, the HVAC guy, the electrician, the roofer, the grounds keeper, the pest control guy, the floor guy, the chief cook and bottle washer and the piano player (although I'm likely better at the former than the latter). smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2523994
03/23/16 06:46 PM
03/23/16 06:46 PM
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
pv88  Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
P

Just found out that the V100 will be shipping via Walter Piano Transport and all should be okay up to my local store.

Big question remains as to how the local guys are going to handle the last 75 feet from the truck to my house as I have requested that they use plywood boards in front of the dolly to make a quick temporary path as they roll the piano and the boards can be picked up and reused over the yard as it moves. Assuming they can do this much (at least) then the piano should arrive in good condition as I just didn't want to see a couple of goofs bodily carrying it as had been done with the Clavinova CLP-585.

Now, the wait begins -- could take 6 weeks to arrive.

Roland V-Piano | Yamaha CLP-585 | Yamaha CLP-990M | Kawai EP3
Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2524005
03/23/16 07:17 PM
03/23/16 07:17 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by pv88
Big question remains as to how the local guys are going to handle the last 75 feet from the truck to my house as I have requested that they use plywood boards in front of the dolly to make a quick temporary path as they roll the piano and the boards can be picked up and reused over the yard as it moves. Assuming they can do this much (at least) then the piano should arrive in good condition as I just didn't want to see a couple of goofs bodily carrying it as had been done with the Clavinova CLP-585.

I did this once with a studio upright piano I purchased from a couple selling their million dollar + home in Peachtree City Ga. The piano was in the basement, and they did not want me to drive my pick-up truck and utility trailer on their lawn and damage the sprinkler system.

So, I purchased a couple of sheets of 4'X 8' OSB plywood/particleboard, cut it in half long-ways and my oldest son and I made a walk-way/path with the sections of OSB to roll the piano across the lawn to the drive-way and then on to the utility trailer. We'd lay down the four 2'X 8' sections on the lawn, making a plywood pathway, roll the piano on the plywood to the end of the last piece/section, then move the sheets of OSB from the back to the front. It worked like a charm.

"I love it when a plan comes together" (The A Team) smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: Rickster] #2524009
03/23/16 07:31 PM
03/23/16 07:31 PM
Niagara Falls NY
ebonykawai Offline
500 Post Club Member
ebonykawai  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Niagara Falls NY
Originally Posted by Rickster

I'd call every day or put their number on your speed-dial, until your piano arrived safely. smile

Rick

It's scary how much we're alike. Scary.

Currently working on RCM level 5 pieces (and some easier ones, lol)
Kawai UST-9, Yamaha CLP565GP

"Sometimes I can only groan, and suffer, and pour out my despair at the piano!" - Frederic Chopin
Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2524018
03/23/16 07:53 PM
03/23/16 07:53 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by ebonykawai
It's scary how much we're alike. Scary.

I work at a small community technical college (5000 + students). We have a student break-room with vending machines. I got to know the guy who worked for the vending company and we talked whenever he came to service/stock the vending machines. As a side-job, he worked part-time for a jewelry store and sold jewelry while working for the vending company.

I had a nice gold-nugget ring that my wife gave me many years ago. I had lost weight and the ring was too big for my finger. So, I asked the guy about having the ring re-sized to a smaller size. So, he brought a ring-size sampler and we decided on a smaller size. I gave him the gold nugget ring to have re-sized.

Every week when he came to stock the vending machines, I'd ask about the status of my gold nugget ring. I did this for weeks and he kept saying the jeweler hadn't got to it yet. But I kept asking every week.

The guy finally got tired of me asking about my ring and cursed me out. He said I had worried the he** out of him about that ring. The next week he brought me my gold nugget ring, re-sized and all, though he never much spoke to me again.

Just call me Liberace... grin

Rick

Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2524267
03/24/16 02:04 PM
03/24/16 02:04 PM
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
pv88  Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
P

Shipping order confirmed:

Have good news in that I just spoke directly with Walter Piano Transport and they have received the order from Viscount and the piano should be shipping out the week of April 3rd. I am really glad I have chosen them as I simply did not have good communication with Keyboard Carriage in retrospect.

It is possible I could have the piano in about 3 weeks or so as compared to 6 weeks with KC and the main point here again is the "communication" between the customer and company. It makes a difference and gives more peace of mind knowing they will be able to answer your questions.

And, to Frank -- thanks for the recommendation!

Extra note:

[Here is the purchase info]

DIGITAL PIANO "PRICES PAID"

Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2524281
03/24/16 02:35 PM
03/24/16 02:35 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Congratulations, pv88!

$400 is a great shipping price.

Rick

Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: Rickster] #2524306
03/24/16 03:43 PM
03/24/16 03:43 PM
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
pv88  Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
P

Originally Posted by Rickster
$400 is a great shipping price.

$400 = local delivery (not long distance haul)

1) $4,715 = [piano + WPT long distance shipping]
2) $400 = [local store delivery]

Let me clarify that $400 is the separate local delivery price only from the store to my house as the long distance haul with WPT was included in the total price of $4,715 and I was not informed of the specific long distance shipping charges since Whitesel Music added this cost in with the price of the piano. As I would guess that the long distance haul with WPT costs considerably more than $400.

The previous local store deliveries have been $250 (standard price) when the Clavinova's were delivered although the V100 is going to require more work to unload and prepare at the store when it arrives. They will also need to use plywood planks for rolling it to the house on a dolly (which is 75 ft. from truck to house through grass in a back yard) versus carrying it by hand as this is my request to do so. I believe the local store is going to be getting rid of all the boxing and crating materials and will deliver the already assembled digital piano. This is why it will cost $400 and not the usual $250.

The concern has been the last leg of the trip from store to house and more importantly from the back of the truck to the house, i.e., last 75 ft. or so, through a back yard.

Want to get this one here, safely.

Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2524512
03/25/16 10:08 AM
03/25/16 10:08 AM
🎹
Retsacnal Online content

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
Retsacnal  Online Content

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015

🎹
The thing I like best about this thread is that it's shined a positive light on two frequent PW members:
  • Rich, of Cunningham Pianos, and
  • Norbert, of Heritage Pianos

"If it sounds good, it is good." - Duke Ellington
P E R F O R M A N C E over p r o v e n a n c e

Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2524720
03/26/16 03:30 AM
03/26/16 03:30 AM
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
pv88  Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
P

Shipping estimate:

Have been given a pick up estimate for the week of April 3rd (to leave the New York warehouse) and then there is a good probability the piano can end up at a storage point somewhere along the way while the drivers unload and pick up other items on the truck. If this is true then a 3 week estimate can easily turn into 5 or 6 weeks transit by the time it reaches the final destination.

Take note that it took Keyboard Carriage a little over 6 weeks to haul the CLP-990M on what would be a 700 mile trip although actual distance driven was much farther (well over 1,000 miles) due to stopping at different locations along the way and it is never a direct trip from point A to point B.

Have nothing better to do now but to sit back, and ... relax? grin

Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2524896
03/26/16 05:04 PM
03/26/16 05:04 PM
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
pv88  Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
P

Just received an update from Walter Piano Transport as they have received the piano in the northern part of my state and I have now asked if it is going to arrive to my local store as of the next shipping phase or if it will just sit in storage.

This has been faster than expected so far as I thought the piano was only going to be "picked up" from the warehouse in New York during the week of April 3rd (original estimate) -- and, it has already arrived in my state.

However, there is no telling how long it might sit in the current warehouse before shipping out again so I am waiting on a reply to get more specific info.

Piano may end up sitting in storage from March 27 - April 3 unless I hear otherwise.

Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2525002
03/27/16 06:39 AM
03/27/16 06:39 AM
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
R_B  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R

Tangent alert;

I have been involved in only TWO Piano moves, they both went very well.
The first was with ALL amateurs and the second had semi-professionals (household movers)involved.

The first was over 30 years ago, I helped a friend's parents move to their retirement house and a small Baldwin spinet was a part of that.
Other than taking great care to not scratch or drop it we didn't do anything special.

The second was a few years ago with a tall upright Story and Clark.
In my "semi retirement" I move horses for people.
This was a client that I had done vet runs for a few times, so this wasn't our first encounter.
As often happens with house & barn moves I showed up with a trailer bigger than the furniture truck and I have AIR RIDE !
I don't know if they didn't like the movers that showed up that day, but in what seemed like a last minute decision the owners asked if I could take the piano in my trailer's tack room.

Well SURE, but I normally only carry "walk on freight" laugh
If the movers can load/unload it I can certainly drive it.
The mover guys went along with it.
So, the piano went in first and was secured against the wall, then saddles and other tack.
Then horses in the back and I set off.
All went well, with standing horses in the back I do drive gently, though not always slowly.

The tack room is a separate room with its own ramp for rolling tack trunks, it is 8 ft by 6 ft, so I had saddles and trunks in there as well. There is NO chance of any "liquids" seeping through from the horse compartment laugh

$400 for a very local move involving two workers for a few hours seems very reasonable to me.
From MY perspective.
I work alone, there is no "lift and carry", but there is probably comparable "meet and greet" overhead time, sign off and settle the account time, empty miles return trip, etc.
Sometimes there are loading problems, usually not.
I had a very scared little pony one time who took 3/4 of an hour to pluck up the courage to get OUT of the trailer. He may have smelled something unusual as I drove into the property that was to be his new home, I'll never know.

I often get horses about the same weight and value as a tier one concert grand.
They can be easier to move, or a lot harder.
Five 1200 lb horses can get on board for a day show if they've traveled together before - about as fast as five humans can get into a car.

One thing I don't see mentioned in threads about piano moves is truck details.
The Cunningham movie shows a truck with a lift gate and there is a movie somewhere of a Bosendorfer getting dropped from a ramp unload - quite a disaster, I think it actually ROLLED when it hit the ground.
There is never any mention of climate control in the van/truck, or of air ride(a GREAT selling point for ME).

Last edited by R_B; 03/27/16 06:48 AM.
Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2525006
03/27/16 06:54 AM
03/27/16 06:54 AM
Kuwait
PhilipInChina Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PhilipInChina  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Kuwait
I feel almost embarassed to relate my story.

1,740 miles from Leeds in UK to my house in Bulgaria, door to door cost me, from memory, UK£450. Only other expense was a fork lift at the house which cost me a derisory sum and I was so pleased with the job I also tipped the truck driver.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2525008
03/27/16 06:55 AM
03/27/16 06:55 AM
Kuwait
PhilipInChina Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PhilipInChina  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Kuwait
Forgot to mention, that was a 9' Bluthner model 1.

Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: PhilipInChina] #2525019
03/27/16 07:44 AM
03/27/16 07:44 AM
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
R_B  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R

Originally Posted by PhilipInChina
I feel almost embarassed to relate my story.

1,740 miles from Leeds in UK to my house in Bulgaria, door to door cost me, from memory, UK£450. Only other expense was a fork lift at the house which cost me a derisory sum and I was so pleased with the job I also tipped the truck driver.

Embarrassed you should be indeed.
I can only ASSUME that they stashed some other "export goods" inside your piano to "defray the costs" laugh

Did you get unusually HAPPY when you played it the first few times after the move ?

Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2525028
03/27/16 08:48 AM
03/27/16 08:48 AM
Kuwait
PhilipInChina Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PhilipInChina  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Kuwait
That was in January. It is still in its box as the room is not, yet, ready for me to unpack it. I simply checked that it was all OK and took out the legs, lyre and a couple of stools that were packed with it, but left it otherwise untouched.

I hope to get it unpacked in early July.

Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: R_B] #2525238
03/27/16 09:48 PM
03/27/16 09:48 PM
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
pv88  Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
P

Originally Posted by R_B
One thing I don't see mentioned in threads about piano moves is truck details.

There is never any mention of climate control in the van/truck, or of air ride(a GREAT selling point for ME).

Have to wonder when a piano is sitting in a truck or warehouse if either location offers any "climate control" as you mention and if things get cold at night and warm up again during the day wouldn't there be a potential problem with condensation affecting the piano?

Mine may be in a warehouse for the next week or so before it ships again and have no way of knowing if it is sufficiently protected from cold air issues.

I believe that the Physis Piano V100 ships like a fully assembled upright piano whereas many other digitals ship packed into two separate boxes with the console keyboard section in one box and the furniture stand in another box.

Would appear that the already fully assembled piano is more likely to face exposure to the elements if not properly wrapped and covered up as compared to the boxed items that have to be assembled upon delivery.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Just for fun - Liszt Sonata in B minor
by Rich Galassini. 01/16/19 11:00 AM
Fix our CLP-150 or buy new?
by jlhopes. 01/16/19 08:46 AM
What would you have done.....Hammer problem
by Duaner. 01/16/19 06:39 AM
For Pianoteq devotees: new instrument introduced
by QuasiUnaFantasia. 01/16/19 06:37 AM
Yamaha Smart Pianist Recording
by oneilt130. 01/16/19 05:42 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,603
Posts2,782,387
Members92,121
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission