Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
137 registered members (Bruce In Philly, Beowulf, BbAltered, AlphaBravoCharlie, Beemer, Angelos58, anotherscott, accordeur, 35 invisible), 1,671 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions #2523603
03/22/16 02:15 PM
03/22/16 02:15 PM
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
pv88  Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
P

I am having a piano picked up (i.e., Physis Piano V100 -- upright digital) from a New York warehouse which is Viscount North America via either Keyboard Carriage or Walter Transport (whomever gets to it first) and it is shipping 750+ miles and wanted to know:

1) Is there any way to track the whereabouts of the piano?

2) Whom exactly can I contact for shipping info?

I previously had a not so great experience with Keyboard Carriage when they had delivered a Clavinova CLP-990M and it arrived with damages to the pedal box and the cabinet.

I am afraid that Viscount (whom is shipping the Physis Piano V100) is only going to give me the ship out date and an estimated time frame but nothing else.

Here is the piano that is shipping:

http://www.viscountinstruments.us/physis-piano-v100.html

Any info is appreciated.

Roland V-Piano | Yamaha CLP-585 | Yamaha CLP-990M | Kawai EP3
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2523608
03/22/16 02:23 PM
03/22/16 02:23 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
I'm not sure what you mean by "who ever gets there first"...

Do you mean you have requested that both companies pick up the piano, and whoever gets there first is the company you choose to do business with? I didn't think that is how long-distance piano moving worked. I thought you had to pay in advance or they don't pick it up at all? Maybe I'm wrong.

Also, I would imagine the only way you can track where the piano is while in route to its final destination, is to call the company on a regular basis and ask them. I doubt they have a tracking system like the USPS or UPS; but I could be wrong there too. smile

Good luck with the move!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: Rickster] #2523614
03/22/16 02:41 PM
03/22/16 02:41 PM
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
pv88  Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
P

Originally Posted by Rickster
I'm not sure what you mean by "who ever gets there first"...

Do you mean you have requested that both companies pick up the piano, and whoever gets there first is the company you choose to do business with? I didn't think that is how long-distance piano moving worked. I thought you had to pay in advance or they don't pick it up at all? Maybe I'm wrong.

Also, I would imagine the only way you can track where the piano is while in route to its final destination, is to call the company on a regular basis and ask them. I doubt they have a tracking system like the USPS or UPS; but I could be wrong there too. smile

Good luck with the move!

Rick

No, it is Viscount North America (whom I ordered the piano from) that is handling the pickup on their end from New York as they have already been paid in full to do so. Viscount told me that it would be a 50/50 chance of either Keyboard Carriage, or, Walter Transport, picking up the piano, as it is going to go via the company that can get back to Viscount, first.

I figured not many folks here are even familiar with the long distance hauling process.

Will be looking up some info on them, now.

Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2523623
03/22/16 03:09 PM
03/22/16 03:09 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Victoria, BC
pv88:

You won't like my story/experience with Keyboard Carriage, but here it is:

I bought my second Estonia from Cunningham Piano in December of 2004, with the understanding that Cunningham would keep the piano for me until I moved from the Philadelphia area in June 2005. At that point Cunningham agreed to make all arrangements for the shipping of the piano to Victoria via Keyboard Carriage. That part of the plan went without a hitch.

In July, 2005, the piano was picked up by Keyboard Carriage. In August, I tried contacting Keyboard Carriage to find out an approximate delivery time for the piano but found out that there was no way of contacting them, or, if memory serves, they simply didn't answer their phone. They had (at the time) no website and no email address.

I contacted Cunningham piano several times between August and December, trying to find the whereabouts of my piano, but Cunningham was equally unsuccessful as I in getting any contact with Keyboard Carriage.

In desperation, Christmas 2005, I contacted Indrek Laul (president of Estonia Piano Company) and within days of doing so I had some information: the piano was in storage in a warehouse in San Diego (or some such southern California city), waiting for a truckload heading north to Canada. Word was that the piano would head northward around the end of January or beginning of February.

I had arranged for the piano to be delivered to a local piano dealer only to find out a couple of days before delivery that KC will not deliver to Victoria (on Vancouver Island). I then arranged for the piano to be delivered to Heritage Pianos, an Estonia dealer in Surrey, BC (thank you Norbert, I'm forever endebted to you for your willingness to accept delivery on my behalf).

A few more heart-stopping complications arose at the moment of delivery but Norbert graciously and efficiently resolved them. Then the piano sat in a Vancouver suburb warehouse for a couple of weeks waiting for delivery to Victoria. I eventually received the piano, in good shape in early February 2006.

Had it not been for the intervention of Dr. Indrek Laul and the help of Norbert Marten, I might still be wondering where Keyboard Carriage has my piano.

For what it may be worth, it cost me approximately $800.00 to have the piano shipped from Philadelphia to Vancouver via San Diego (no charge for six month's storage in California, it seems!!) and $750.00 to ship from Vancouver to Victoria. Go figure!

As they say, YMMV!

Best of luck.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: BruceD] #2523628
03/22/16 03:26 PM
03/22/16 03:26 PM
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
pv88  Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
P

BruceD,

I am very sorry to hear about your problems with Keyboard Carriage although I am glad to hear the piano arrived in one piece!

Also, I do not have to pay any ADDITIONAL charges to anyone for whatever Keyboard Carriage decides to do since I already paid Viscount in full for both the piano and the shipping, as shipping was included.

I have agreed to to pay $400 on my end when the piano eventually arrives at my local store for delivery.

Question:

Do you have any decent contact info for Keyboard Carriage?

I expect a 6 to 8 week waiting period.

Extra note:

Since I do not know who has picked up the piano as of yet (i.e., could be Walter Transport) then the above question may not be relevant.

Please add any other info here that you might have.

Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2523643
03/22/16 03:49 PM
03/22/16 03:49 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
pv88, I hope you are not a worry-wart like I am; I'd be a nervous wreck if I were you. smile

Here is the contact info I found for Walter Transport

Address: 2135 Industrial Pkwy, Elkhart, IN 46516

Phone:(574) 674-6139

Here is KC:

Phone 270.737.5797

Fax 270.737.6640 | 614.340.7224

rdawson@keyboardcarriage.com

(Source, Google)

I'd call every day or put their number on your speed-dial, until your piano arrived safely. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: Rickster] #2523645
03/22/16 03:53 PM
03/22/16 03:53 PM
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
pv88  Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
P

Rick,

Thanks for the info, although I bet I won't hear a word from anyone until the piano arrives at my local store, as the previous experience with Keyboard Carriage bears this out.

Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2523649
03/22/16 04:00 PM
03/22/16 04:00 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by pv88
Rick,

Thanks for the info, although I bet I won't hear a word from anyone until the piano arrives at my local store, as the previous experience with Keyboard Carriage bears this out.

Well, I learned a long time ago that you really can't "make" anyone do anything, (except for maybe the Mafia smile ). But if I were you, and I was really concerned about the progress and status of your piano, which is a reasonable expectation, I'd call every day and be nice and ask about the status of your piano.

The worse they can say is they don't know, or stop calling; well, they could say worse, but they probably wouldn't. smile

Good luck, and keep us informed!

Rick

Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2523652
03/22/16 04:07 PM
03/22/16 04:07 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Victoria, BC
Rick,

First: My experience with KC dates from ten and half years ago. Some things may have changed in the interim. They do now have a website (Spartan as it is) with a contact name:

Keyboard Carriage

Second: KC, at the time, had an excellent reputation for the handling of pianos, although they would not deliver to private individuals, but only to dealers. The reason for that, I was told, was that they have only a driver on the delivery truck and that they rely on the staff at the dealer at the point of delivery to unload the piano.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2523658
03/22/16 04:31 PM
03/22/16 04:31 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by BruceD
Second: KC, at the time, had an excellent reputation for the handling of pianos, although they would not deliver to private individuals, but only to dealers. The reason for that, I was told, was that they have only a driver on the delivery truck and that they rely on the staff at the dealer at the point of delivery to unload the piano.

I actually called Keyboard Carriage once and got a quote on a long distance grand piano move. They were very nice and told me pretty much the some thing: they said a dealer/mover needed to break the piano down, load it on the tractor trailer at pick-up. They said at the destination point (had to be a commercial address with a loading dock), they could unload/offload the piano with assistance, and it did not have to be a piano dealer/mover per-se; but it did have to have a commercial loading dock.

It's an economical means of long-distance piano moving if you can coordinate everything on both ends.

Rick

Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2523660
03/22/16 04:38 PM
03/22/16 04:38 PM
Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
Piano World Offline

6000 Post Club Member
Piano World  Offline

6000 Post Club Member

Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
I've not had experience with Keyboard Carriage, but I have had very good experience with the folks at Walter Transport.

They brought my Estonia from up by the Great Lakes down to Florida.
And then later from Florida up to Boston.

Both times they were great to deal with and took really good care of my piano.

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
ProRecord.info
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
www.linkedin.com/in/pianoworld
My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190 w/ ProRecord, Yamaha P-80, Estey 1895 Pump Organ, Harpsichord (kit), Clavichord (kit), Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
Please invite every piano enthusiast you know to join our piano forums!

Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2523673
03/22/16 05:49 PM
03/22/16 05:49 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by Piano World
I've not had experience with Keyboard Carriage, but I have had very good experience with the folks at Walter Transport.

They brought my Estonia from up by the Great Lakes down to Florida.
And then later from Florida up to Boston.

Both times they were great to deal with and took really good care of my piano.

Frank, it sounds to me like Keyboard Carriage and Walter Transport would be great prospects for your marketing department to solicit and ask them to buy an ad here on Piano World.

They've already gotten a few freebies. smile

Rick

Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: Rickster] #2523687
03/22/16 06:33 PM
03/22/16 06:33 PM
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
pv88  Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
P

Will keep everyone updated as to the progress although I still do not know if the piano will be picked up via Keyboard Carriage or Walter Transport as this is now up to Viscount.

I am going to contact them (i.e., Viscount) to see if I have an option between the two shippers as I sure would prefer Walter Transport if it hasn't already been picked up by Keyboard Carriage.

My past experience with Keyboard Carriage has not been a good one, although I am fairly lucky there were only minor damages to the piano, i.e., Clavinova CLP-990M.

From what I hear and see Walter Transport gets better reviews.

Extra note:

Regardless of who ends up picking up the piano I only want to see it arrive "in one piece" as the Physis Piano V100 should be shipping in its own protective box and/or crating so at least it has a better chance of reaching me in good condition as compared with the CLP-990M delivery.

Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: BruceD] #2523695
03/22/16 07:37 PM
03/22/16 07:37 PM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
J

Reseda, California
.... they would not deliver to private individuals, but only to dealers. The reason for that, I was told, was that they have only a driver on the delivery truck and that they rely on the staff at the dealer at the point of delivery to unload the piano.

How strange -- I'd think that they'd have a major liability insurance issue with having non-employees help move heavy objects off their trucks.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: JohnSprung] #2523707
03/22/16 08:50 PM
03/22/16 08:50 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Victoria, BC
Originally Posted by JohnSprung
.... they would not deliver to private individuals, but only to dealers. The reason for that, I was told, was that they have only a driver on the delivery truck and that they rely on the staff at the dealer at the point of delivery to unload the piano.

How strange -- I'd think that they'd have a major liability insurance issue with having non-employees help move heavy objects off their trucks.

This is from KC's website "Transport Booking" form:

Please note pick up & delivery locations MUST be full size 18 wheel tractor trailer accessible(75ft)**NOTE** (all trailers are equipped with lift gates). Also MUST be Commercial zoned and someone must be available & able to help assist the driver with lifting/loading and lifting/ unloading your instrument/s . All products must be brought to our trailer for tailgate pick up/delivery. Driver/s can not leave trucks unattended**

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2523730
03/22/16 09:40 PM
03/22/16 09:40 PM
Surrey, B.C.
Norbert Offline
Norbert  Offline

Surrey, B.C.
Last we had to do with Keyboard, which was several years ago, we were told that they were specializing in moving Harleys, not so much pianos anymore. While having had good experience with them in the early years,their service later deteriorated to the point where we decided to do no longer business with them.
Not sure if this would merit reconsideration again or any change now.
Such was our experience back then anyways...
Good luck,
Norbert

Last edited by Norbert; 03/22/16 09:41 PM.

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642
Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: Norbert] #2523740
03/22/16 10:15 PM
03/22/16 10:15 PM
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
pv88  Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
P

Norbert,

Just did send a request to Viscount for them to consider using Walter Transport instead of Keyboard Carriage as I believe they were going to ship with whoever was able to pick up the piano first. Viscount seems to think that Walter Transport would take longer with the pick up and shipping although even so I would prefer a reputable company handling the piano.

Given a choice (if it hasn't already been picked up by Keyboard Carriage) it will ship via Walter Transport.

Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2523776
03/23/16 05:25 AM
03/23/16 05:25 AM
Philadelphia/South Jersey
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Rich Galassini  Offline
Platinum Subscriber

Philadelphia/South Jersey
Hi pv88,

In reference to BruceD's story:

Keyboard Carriage has gotten much better in customer service and accessibility. In retrospect, the issue was going into Western Canada with a full truck. They could not afford to make the trip for just a few pianos.

I cannot explain the lack of communication but that was the reason. In the lower 48 you do not have that problem. Where are you located?

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for great content every week:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CunninghamPiano
Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: Rich Galassini] #2523777
03/23/16 05:48 AM
03/23/16 05:48 AM
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
pv88  Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
P

Update:

Will not be using Keyboard Carriage as I am now waiting on a reply from Viscount (North America) and Walter Piano Transport to confirm picking up the Physis Piano V100:

http://www.viscountinstruments.us/physis-piano-v100.html

Viscount should honor my request since the piano (including all shipping charges) have already been paid in full and they only need to confirm setting up pick up with Walter Piano Transport.

Extra note:

Several years ago I had a rare and hard-to-find Clavinova CLP-990M shipped (from a private purchase in New York) via Keyboard Carriage that arrived with a broken pedal box and also some other cosmetic damages including loose veneer on the lower left corner of the keyboard. This is why I will not be using them again.

Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2523809
03/23/16 08:49 AM
03/23/16 08:49 AM
Oakland, CA
K
Kins Offline
Kins  Offline
K

Oakland, CA
I've used Keyboard Carriage on three different moves, all with great success. Each time, was about an 800-mile move from the East Coast to Chicago or vice-versa.

I'll second the comment that they only deliver between warehouses/loading docks. A separate, local company was used at each end for the breakdown and delivery to a warehouse/holding area.

Each time, the piano arrived in pristine condition. If I recall, there was insurance offered on the move, too, which I took for the replacement value of my piano. I wondered how the finger-pointing would go if there were damage, since the piano is actually handled multiple times in a long-distance move.

Given my experience (moves in 2005, 2011 and 2013), I wouldn't hesitate to use them in the future.

Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: Norbert] #2523917
03/23/16 02:50 PM
03/23/16 02:50 PM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
J

Reseda, California
Originally Posted by Norbert
Last we had to do with Keyboard, which was several years ago, we were told that they were specializing in moving Harleys, not so much pianos anymore.

So they'd be perfect for moving this one:

http://pianosxxi.com/piano/custompiano/harley/

;-)

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: Rich Galassini] #2523920
03/23/16 02:56 PM
03/23/16 02:56 PM
Melville Saskatchewan
F
FrankCox Offline
500 Post Club Member
FrankCox  Offline
500 Post Club Member
F

Melville Saskatchewan
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
Keyboard Carriage has gotten much better in customer service and accessibility. In retrospect, the issue was going into Western Canada with a full truck. They could not afford to make the trip for just a few pianos.

They shouldn't have taken the job if they were unable to complete it in a timely manner.

I ordered ceramic floor tiles to be installed in my theatre lobby several years ago. The date the installation was scheduled arrived, I moved all kinds of stuff out of the way the night before, and nobody showed up. I phoned to ask what's going on and was told, "Oh, we haven't ordered the tiles for that job yet."

I've now use a different outfit for tile and carpet, obviously.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2523922
03/23/16 02:59 PM
03/23/16 02:59 PM
Melville Saskatchewan
F
FrankCox Offline
500 Post Club Member
FrankCox  Offline
500 Post Club Member
F

Melville Saskatchewan
Harley joke:

What's the difference between a Harley Davidson and a vacuum cleaner?

The vacuum cleaner has the dirt bag on the inside.

smile

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2523935
03/23/16 03:26 PM
03/23/16 03:26 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by FrankCox
They shouldn't have taken the job if they were unable to complete it in a timely manner.

I ordered ceramic floor tiles to be installed in my theatre lobby several years ago. The date the installation was scheduled arrived, I moved all kinds of stuff out of the way the night before, and nobody showed up. I phoned to ask what's going on and was told, "Oh, we haven't ordered the tiles for that job yet."

I've now use a different outfit for tile and carpet, obviously.

It's bad to say, but I think this is common with a lot of construction contractors. Another common tactic they use is, if they get the job (low bidder, etc...) they will start the job and then not show up for days while working on/finishing another job. That way, it is harder for the customer to fire them and get someone else.

I don't know, maybe that is why I try to do as much as I can around my house myself. Around my house, I'm the plumber, the painter, the appliance repair person, the HVAC guy, the electrician, the roofer, the grounds keeper, the pest control guy, the floor guy, the chief cook and bottle washer and the piano player (although I'm likely better at the former than the latter). smile

Rick

Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2523994
03/23/16 06:46 PM
03/23/16 06:46 PM
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
pv88  Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
P

Just found out that the V100 will be shipping via Walter Piano Transport and all should be okay up to my local store.

Big question remains as to how the local guys are going to handle the last 75 feet from the truck to my house as I have requested that they use plywood boards in front of the dolly to make a quick temporary path as they roll the piano and the boards can be picked up and reused over the yard as it moves. Assuming they can do this much (at least) then the piano should arrive in good condition as I just didn't want to see a couple of goofs bodily carrying it as had been done with the Clavinova CLP-585.

Now, the wait begins -- could take 6 weeks to arrive.

Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2524005
03/23/16 07:17 PM
03/23/16 07:17 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Big question remains as to how the local guys are going to handle the last 75 feet from the truck to my house as I have requested that they use plywood boards in front of the dolly to make a quick temporary path as they roll the piano and the boards can be picked up and reused over the yard as it moves. Assuming they can do this much (at least) then the piano should arrive in good condition as I just didn't want to see a couple of goofs bodily carrying it as had been done with the Clavinova CLP-585.

I did this once with a studio upright piano I purchased from a couple selling their million dollar + home in Peachtree City Ga. The piano was in the basement, and they did not want me to drive my pick-up truck and utility trailer on their lawn and damage the sprinkler system.

So, I purchased a couple of sheets of 4'X 8' OSB plywood/particleboard, cut it in half long-ways and my oldest son and I made a walk-way/path with the sections of OSB to roll the piano across the lawn to the drive-way and then on to the utility trailer. We'd lay down the four 2'X 8' sections on the lawn, making a plywood pathway, roll the piano on the plywood to the end of the last piece/section, then move the sheets of OSB from the back to the front. It worked like a charm.

"I love it when a plan comes together" (The A Team) smile

Rick

Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: Rickster] #2524009
03/23/16 07:31 PM
03/23/16 07:31 PM
Niagara Falls NY
ebonykawai Offline
500 Post Club Member
ebonykawai  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Niagara Falls NY
Originally Posted by Rickster

I'd call every day or put their number on your speed-dial, until your piano arrived safely. smile

Rick

It's scary how much we're alike. Scary.

Currently working on Masterwork Classics Book 5
Kawai UST-9, Yamaha CLP565GP

"Sometimes I can only groan, and suffer, and pour out my despair at the piano!" - Frederic Chopin
Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2524018
03/23/16 07:53 PM
03/23/16 07:53 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by ebonykawai
It's scary how much we're alike. Scary.

I work at a small community technical college (5000 + students). We have a student break-room with vending machines. I got to know the guy who worked for the vending company and we talked whenever he came to service/stock the vending machines. As a side-job, he worked part-time for a jewelry store and sold jewelry while working for the vending company.

I had a nice gold-nugget ring that my wife gave me many years ago. I had lost weight and the ring was too big for my finger. So, I asked the guy about having the ring re-sized to a smaller size. So, he brought a ring-size sampler and we decided on a smaller size. I gave him the gold nugget ring to have re-sized.

Every week when he came to stock the vending machines, I'd ask about the status of my gold nugget ring. I did this for weeks and he kept saying the jeweler hadn't got to it yet. But I kept asking every week.

The guy finally got tired of me asking about my ring and cursed me out. He said I had worried the he** out of him about that ring. The next week he brought me my gold nugget ring, re-sized and all, though he never much spoke to me again.

Just call me Liberace... grin

Rick

Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2524267
03/24/16 02:04 PM
03/24/16 02:04 PM
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
pv88  Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
P

Shipping order confirmed:

Have good news in that I just spoke directly with Walter Piano Transport and they have received the order from Viscount and the piano should be shipping out the week of April 3rd. I am really glad I have chosen them as I simply did not have good communication with Keyboard Carriage in retrospect.

It is possible I could have the piano in about 3 weeks or so as compared to 6 weeks with KC and the main point here again is the "communication" between the customer and company. It makes a difference and gives more peace of mind knowing they will be able to answer your questions.

And, to Frank -- thanks for the recommendation!

Extra note:

[Here is the purchase info]

DIGITAL PIANO "PRICES PAID"

Re: Keyboard Carriage & Walter Transport -- Hauling questions [Re: pv88] #2524281
03/24/16 02:35 PM
03/24/16 02:35 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Congratulations, pv88!

$400 is a great shipping price.

Rick

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
One vs. Two-Hnaded Sight Reading
by BbAltered. 11/15/18 01:08 PM
Casio PX-160 or Yamaha P-125 for Beginner
by jediknight. 11/15/18 11:42 AM
Late 19th - early 20th century Pleyel pianos.
by Wckoek. 11/15/18 08:36 AM
John Lewis Christmas ad 2018
by Timpskie. 11/15/18 06:40 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,342
Posts2,761,353
Members91,493
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission