2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,019 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
scgrant Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Has anyone had success using Google adwords to attract new students to their studios? Have you found that your website and adwords are a good investment versus other forms of advertising?

I was discussing alternatives with my teacher and wondered about others experience.

Adult Beginner/Early Intermediate
Knabe 1902 Grand
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
What kind of students do you want?

I don't use Google Adwords, and I barely advertise anywhere. The great majority of my students come through word-of-mouth referrals. The students who come through ads--some have stayed on, but most don't form the deep connection that comes with referrals. And I must say that a lot of the kids who come through ads are mismatched with what I bring to the table. And I'm this close to be able to let these children go.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
S
scgrant Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
What kind of students do you want?

I don't use Google Adwords, and I barely advertise anywhere. The great majority of my students come through word-of-mouth referrals. The students who come through ads--some have stayed on, but most don't form the deep connection that comes with referrals. And I must say that a lot of the kids who come through ads are mismatched with what I bring to the table. And I'm this close to be able to let these children go.

The perfect student would be adult re-beginners who have 3-10 years of piano experience and now would like to dig deep into jazz and blues.

Maybe referrals are more common with younger students. Are the majority of your students still in school? There might be a parental connection and discussion through the schools that facilitates referrals. I find that adults often don't have a natural community where they share, compare and seek information about piano studios.

But, online ads also seem like a very weak source of older students as the airwaves are pretty saturated.

Knabe 1902 Grand
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Most people are pretty good at ignoring google ads anyway.

I guess it depends a lot on your community, to connect with adult potential students I'd try ads in freebie newspapers, bulletin boards at music stores, book stores, coffee shops, and try to figure out places your potential students frequent. Throw a public event somewhere and play fabulously and hand out flyers! Post your performances on youtube and include your contact info. Make sure every music local music store has your name on their list.

Learner
S
scgrant Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by scgrant

The perfect student would be adult re-beginners who have 3-10 years of piano experience and now would like to dig deep into jazz and blues.

But, online ads also seem like a very weak source of older students as the airwaves are pretty saturated.

Okay, maybe I'll have to eat my words. I've been running a test of adwords for the past week and signed a perfect student (middle aged, 10 years of prior piano experience, wants to focus on taking technical skills to next level).

As Aristotle said, "one swallow does not make a spring," but, I'm happy to get this first blue bird. We'll see what happens over time.

Knabe 1902 Grand
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
I find that adults often don't have a natural community where they share, compare and seek information about piano studios.

I think this is very accurate. Adults tend play the piano, even seriously, in solitude. The places they hear of a teacher are in casual communication at work, at parties, at the cafe, etc. And often from a spouse or companion. (Almost forgot: also from piano tuners!)

Last edited by Peter K. Mose; 03/19/16 04:49 AM.
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
I'm sure online advertising *is* working for some studio teachers, just as print ads have worked in the past. I've done very well with the latter, but less so nowadays.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
One swallow may not make spring, but one swallow is more than no swallows!

Learner
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The google adword game for me is a very expensive one and not worth the effort really...

You see as a music publisher who sells online, I have to battle the various giants in my field in order to make something happen, and while not impossible, it IS very difficult!

S
scgrant Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Nikolas
The google adword game for me is a very expensive one and not worth the effort really...

You see as a music publisher who sells online, I have to battle the various giants in my field in order to make something happen, and while not impossible, it IS very difficult!

Nikolas--

Are you running adwords yourself or through a 3rd party? Our account was very expensive when we used an agency. After we took it in house I found out most of the expense (90%) was the agency billing us for support. The ads themselves were extremely cheap--under $2 per inquiry. But, we also have the advantage of only serving one small geographic area, I assume you may have to maintain a national reach.

Knabe 1902 Grand
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Nikolas--

Are you running adwords yourself or through a 3rd party? Our account was very expensive when we used an agency. After we took it in house I found out most of the expense (90%) was the agency billing us for support. The ads themselves were extremely cheap--under $2 per inquiry. But, we also have the advantage of only serving one small geographic area, I assume you may have to maintain a national reach.
Problem is that I'm going for an international (eg. global) reach, which creates a few issues as well, but I should be taking a look at this at some point (when I get some free time, cause right now I'm flooded with work, but at least I'll have lots to show to the PW forum soon! grin )

P
P
Google adwords are expensive but they are very good for piano lessons. First of all you are only advertising in a limited area so your PCP is relatively low. The cost of acquisition is worth it. Even if you pay $5 (you won't pay that much) per click and get one student for every 20 clicks it cost $100 to acquire 1 student. You will make that back the first month.

I did this for the first year. Once I got my studio going I stopped it and went by word of mouth. Just make sure you have a good looking website.

Doreen

Doreen Hall
www.palomapiano.com

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission