Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
How It All Really Began
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
83 registered members (AZNpiano, accordeur, anamnesis, Bellyman, 28 invisible), 1,223 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bach Invention - Trill question #2519741
03/11/16 12:22 AM
03/11/16 12:22 AM
T
Tides Offline OP
Tides  Offline OP
T
Hello,
I'm learning Bach's Invention No. 2 in C minor and I'm somewhat vexed about how to play the trills. Specifically, how many notes
are in each exactly? I've looked across several websites and have gotten conflicting answers on baroque trills. Also- I have never played a piece with trills before and I would appreciate any pointers on how best to practice them!

Thank you!

[Linked Image]

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Bach Invention - Trill question [Re: Tides] #2519753
03/11/16 01:29 AM
03/11/16 01:29 AM
C
Coyotewoods Offline
Coyotewoods  Offline
C
Hi, Tides!

(Ha, high tides!! I didn't do that on purpose.)

I was curious, since this is all so new to me, and found this tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzuyxhWO5ng

I'm really liking her approach to teaching this piece, and she does address the trills.

:o))

Re: Bach Invention - Trill question [Re: Tides] #2519765
03/11/16 02:45 AM
03/11/16 02:45 AM
Italy
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
sinophilia  Offline

Italy
Hi Tides, I think you should download different editions of the Inventions - try Busoni's, it's available on IMSLP. Ornaments are written down, and there's plenty of fingering and suggestions that you can consider.

Diana & Wally - Yamaha W110BW
To create a beautiful sound, one must imagine it at first and then learn to produce fluid physical motions that breathe life into music. (Shirley Kirsten)
http://soundcloud.com/sinophilia - http://youtube.com/sinophilia
Re: Bach Invention - Trill question [Re: Tides] #2519781
03/11/16 05:13 AM
03/11/16 05:13 AM
Australia
E
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
E
Australia
I believe the ornaments of Bach Invention No 2 are actually mordants rather than trills. If you are serious about the Inventions it is best to buy a good book, I have the Alfred Masterwork Edition of Inventions and Sinfonias which has a detailed description of the ornaments and the reasons why they were selected for this particular edition. All ornaments are written out in full and it also comes with a CD so that helps a little. Keep in mind ornaments change from edition to edition and this is why you have conflicting opinions, they are of course all right so play it whatever way you wish.

This clip should at least go some way to helping due to the very slow tutorial, however the edition being used is different to mine so that is why I say it might only help part way.

Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Bach Invention - Trill question [Re: earlofmar] #2519784
03/11/16 05:31 AM
03/11/16 05:31 AM
Costa del Sol
SwissMS Offline

2000 Post Club Member
SwissMS  Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Costa del Sol
I second the recommendation of the Alfreds Inventions and Sinfonias. It greys out the editorial dynamics and phrasing suggestions, but I find them very helpful as a starting point for interpretation.

Re: Bach Invention - Trill question [Re: Tides] #2519809
03/11/16 08:42 AM
03/11/16 08:42 AM
Austria, EU
L
lophiomys Offline
500 Post Club Member
lophiomys  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Austria, EU
Here is Bach's ornament table (another forum member pointed to it in another thread already)
Bach's Ornament Table (and more infos)

IMHO I'd leave out the ornaments during the first learning phase. There is plenty of opportunity to add ornaments at your liking after you are in command of your musical performance.

Re: Bach Invention - Trill question [Re: Tides] #2519810
03/11/16 08:45 AM
03/11/16 08:45 AM
Italy
sinophilia Offline

sinophilia  Offline

Italy
If you're serious about Bach, also check Rosalyn Tureck's "An Introduction to the Performance of Bach". Book 1 has short pieces and book 2 includes one Invention.

Diana & Wally - Yamaha W110BW
To create a beautiful sound, one must imagine it at first and then learn to produce fluid physical motions that breathe life into music. (Shirley Kirsten)
http://soundcloud.com/sinophilia - http://youtube.com/sinophilia
Re: Bach Invention - Trill question [Re: SwissMS] #2519826
03/11/16 10:14 AM
03/11/16 10:14 AM
UK
A
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
UK
Originally Posted by SwissMS
I second the recommendation of the Alfreds Inventions and Sinfonias. It greys out the editorial dynamics and phrasing suggestions, but I find them very helpful as a starting point for interpretation.

I have quite a few pieces that omit any dynamics markings or extra annotations, some of the pieces in the Barratt series I use sometimes do this too.

Actually, often I like to attempt a piece where I don't know it, I actually like to not listen to a recording of it all to bias my opinion of how it should be played and see what I make of it.

This is an interesting exercise. Of course eventually I do listen to a recording, or if I struggle with a piece and do not connect with it, I'll probably do it sooner than later.

I think many may find you'll be amazed what you'll come up with your own phrasing, dynamics, etc that in the actual scores where you will find those extra annotations, it often turns out to be very similar. Even little things, thinks like may be sustaining a note here or there, perhaps little dab of the pedal would help here, little things like that.

I wonder if others do this from time to time ? and if it is considered good practice, my feeling is that it is.

OTOH, Many always seem to listen to a recordings immediately as a first step, then start to play the piece. Of course many times I find pieces will be vaguely familiar anyway, you'll have heard it somewhere and will already probably be influenced by that.

A good example I think of for myself, I had a strong connection with a Chopin piece in the end of my Barratt book 1 time ago, but I never heard it before, It's an abbreviated version ( just the start of it ) I don't recall the actual opus/number right now.

By the time my level was a bit ahead of that starter piece as it was in the book and eventually researched the real score and performance, the things I thought that should have been added in that score and I had added were mostly all there. The way I felt it should be played was remarkably similar to an actual performance I listened to afterwards by a well known famous ivory tickler Valentina Lisitsa, including the actual tempo.

Of course it was only the first 4 lines of the beginning of that piece, not the whole thing, the rest would have been far too difficult for a starter piece.

Anyway, that was a really rewarding experience and great moment to enjoy the fruits of my labour on that piece.

In the end, while the music played as written is robotic, it seems to me the brain does have an inner intuition about these things how to interpret scores. If someone asked me how it works, I'd struggle to even begin to explain why that is. Why does anyone make a choice about how to interpret a score, phrasing and so on, perhaps a trill here would be a nice addition ... and so on.

Best way I can put it, it's like an instinct and very much intuition based in some ways, for whatever reason, at least to me it seems to work that way. Perhaps my previous experience in other instruments when I was a wee young lad and had lessons back then, and I guess, just listening to tonnes of all sorts of music all my life ever since I was a child helped with that.

OTOH my music theory knowledge is limited, yes I know the very basics, and enough to sight read, but that's about it, so it is not coming from going through endless books on theory or any of that sort of stuff.

Perhaps I should have posted that in the achievement of the week thread when that happened, but never did. smile

Last edited by Alexander Borro; 03/11/16 10:25 AM.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
Re: Bach Invention - Trill question [Re: sinophilia] #2519861
03/11/16 11:53 AM
03/11/16 11:53 AM
C
Coyotewoods Offline
Coyotewoods  Offline
C
Now I know what your username means! :o)

Re: Bach Invention - Trill question [Re: Coyotewoods] #2519867
03/11/16 12:11 PM
03/11/16 12:11 PM
UK
A
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
UK
Originally Posted by MooseNotes
Now I know what your username means! :o)

I don't even know what it means, it reminds of the Spanish for some form of altered donkey, and have been called that during Spanish lessons, and I've been called many other names including 4 eyes in school for wearing specs.

It happens when you are foreign and the Brits butcher all the names along the way and make fun of it. Of course, when I lived in Ireland for some time during my childhood too, most surnames started with O' ..... an 9 out of 10 pupils were called Sean by their first name, So there wasn't much to play with to make fun of, I was the obvious target laugh

Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Re: Bach Invention - Trill question [Re: Alexander Borro] #2519873
03/11/16 12:27 PM
03/11/16 12:27 PM
Costa del Sol
SwissMS Offline

2000 Post Club Member
SwissMS  Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Costa del Sol
Originally Posted by Alexander Borro
Originally Posted by SwissMS

I have quite a few pieces that omit any dynamics markings or extra annotations, some of the pieces in the Barratt series I use sometimes do this too.

Actually, often I like to attempt a piece where I don't know it, I actually like to not listen to a recording of it all to bias my opinion of how it should be played and see what I make of it.

This is an interesting exercise. Of course eventually I do listen to a recording, or if I struggle with a piece and do not connect with it, I'll probably do it sooner than later.

I think many may find you'll be amazed what you'll come up with your own phrasing, dynamics, etc that in the actual scores where you will find those extra annotations, it often turns out to be very similar. Even little things, thinks like may be sustaining a note here or there, perhaps little dab of the pedal would help here, little things like that.

I wonder if others do this from time to time ? and if it is considered good practice, my feeling is that it is.

OTOH, Many always seem to listen to a recordings immediately as a first step, then start to play the piece. Of course many times I find pieces will be vaguely familiar anyway, you'll have heard it somewhere and will already probably be influenced by that.

A good example I think of for myself, I had a strong connection with a Chopin piece in the end of my Barratt book 1 time ago, but I never heard it before, It's an abbreviated version ( just the start of it ) I don't recall the actual opus/number right now.

By the time my level was a bit ahead of that starter piece as it was in the book and eventually researched the real score and performance, the things I thought that should have been added in that score and I had added were mostly all there. The way I felt it should be played was remarkably similar to an actual performance I listened to afterwards by a well known famous ivory tickler Valentina Lisitsa, including the actual tempo.

Of course it was only the first 4 lines of the beginning of that piece, not the whole thing, the rest would have been far too difficult for a starter piece.

Anyway, that was a really rewarding experience and great moment to enjoy the fruits of my labour on that piece.

In the end, while the music played as written is robotic, it seems to me the brain does have an inner intuition about these things how to interpret scores. If someone asked me how it works, I'd struggle to even begin to explain why that is. Why does anyone make a choice about how to interpret a score, phrasing and so on, perhaps a trill here would be a nice addition ... and so on.

Best way I can put it, it's like an instinct and very much intuition based in some ways, for whatever reason, at least to me it seems to work that way. Perhaps my previous experience in other instruments when I was a wee young lad and had lessons back then, and I guess, just listening to tonnes of all sorts of music all my life ever since I was a child helped with that.

OTOH my music theory knowledge is limited, yes I know the very basics, and enough to sight read, but that's about it, so it is not coming from going through endless books on theory or any of that sort of stuff.

Perhaps I should have posted that in the achievement of the week thread when that happened, but never did. smile

I agree with this to some extent, but I think it takes time to develop a feel for a piece, especially if there are no dynamic indications. After practicing a piece for a while, what you play sounds "right". Especially as a beginner/intermediate it can be helpful to listen to youtube recordings to get a feel for what the piece should sound like.

The Alfred Inventions/Sinfonias book is only one interpretation, and sometimes my teacher disagrees with it. She prefers the Henle, which we use as well, but I at least use the Alfred's suggestions as a starting point. On some inventions and sinfonias, I find the phrasing and dynamics is not as intuitive as in a lot of other pieces.

Re: Bach Invention - Trill question [Re: Tides] #2519889
03/11/16 01:11 PM
03/11/16 01:11 PM
UK
A
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
UK
Thanks SwissMS

It's fair to say the stuff you are practising is far more complicated in any case also. It not a case of it always works for me, and of course hearing things I should hearing that I am probably missing is a good chance of that happening too. Still there have been pieces where it worked well, at least as far as I can tell, that is of course an assumption I can only be a judge of without regular lessons and listening to recordings of my own, and what is played by the proper pianist on places like youtube and make a comparison etc. Even if I don't get it to sound quite like that, but in my head I am clear what it should sound like ( as best as I can on my own, its all part of the fun).

Of course I do not do it as a matter of course all the time. intermittently, problem is most stuff I have already heard in some form at one point or another, so probably already influenced and/or biased by that.

Sometimes I have not much of feeling at all with some pieces to know what to do with them. I think some of it is already being familiar with certain types of music and styles that one listens to also and played before, perhaps on another instrument or in groups as I have done and also listening to that stuff.

For example, as a child I was hammered with baroque pieces on the recorder so much so, for many years, I was entirely fed up with it by age 12, probably why I stopped back then. laugh

Last edited by Alexander Borro; 03/11/16 01:13 PM.

Re: Bach Invention - Trill question [Re: Alexander Borro] #2519935
03/11/16 03:33 PM
03/11/16 03:33 PM
C
Coyotewoods Offline
Coyotewoods  Offline
C
Oh, whoops!

I meant Sinophilia. I sure hope you didn't think I called you a jack-something-or-other.

But it was still fun reading your response. It seems Sinophilia has more than one meaning, but one has to do with Bach's work.

Re: Bach Invention - Trill question [Re: Coyotewoods] #2519944
03/11/16 04:19 PM
03/11/16 04:19 PM
UK
A
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
UK
Originally Posted by MooseNotes
Oh, whoops!

I meant Sinophilia. I sure hope you didn't think I called you a jack-something-or-other.

But it was still fun reading your response. It seems Sinophilia has more than one meaning, but one has to do with Bach's work.

Not at all seen as an insult, I presumed you were referring to me since it was the last post without quote.

The only thought that occurred to me I wondered what you found in the interpretation of my name I would have been curious hear it, since I had no idea. I forgot to ask at the time what that was.

I am always ready for a good joke. Actually, when I was in school being made of fun with my name, I saw the funny side of it too and had a chuckle. I wouldn't want to miss out on that. grin

Re: Bach Invention - Trill question [Re: Tides] #2520862
03/14/16 07:58 AM
03/14/16 07:58 AM
Orig. land of Svear&Götar
R
RaggedKeyPresser Offline
1000 Post Club Member
RaggedKeyPresser  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Orig. land of Svear&Götar
Watch Karl Richter playing some Bach ornaments, from 38:38 here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehb...DAiIWXEzXl0rLe9fpfHCnE1GvmCO-nSh3-gNj32Q

Czerny's Piano School Vol. 1. Reviewing basics/ear training/analysis in interesting exercises.
Opus 599. Now at #77 and giving it a break.
Re: Bach Invention - Trill question [Re: Tides] #2522796
03/19/16 11:45 PM
03/19/16 11:45 PM
C
Coyotewoods Offline
Coyotewoods  Offline
C
Tides, because of this discussion you started, my piano life has gained some wonderful focus. I'm going to start writing about it on my website soon.

And today something awesome happened: I found a copy of Alfred's edition of Bach's two-part inventions. I'm intending to focus on the Henle edition, but I'm excited to have found this today at Goodwill. It was a whopping 99 cents.

There are lots of notes on trills and gobs of additional notes throughout. I'm thrilled to have this as my first book in my Bach library.

Moderated by  BB Player 

New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
A few of the many new items we've added to our online store.
(PianoSupplies.com is a division of Piano World)
wrap around sunglasses with music notes
Wrap around sun glasses with music notes

88 keys, 10 fingers, no problem
88 Keys, 10 Fingers, No Problem

Bass Clef Hat
Bass Clef Hat

Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai K200 Anytime Hybrid questions
by MarkL. 07/21/18 07:38 PM
Slicing Balance Rail Punchings
by Fidel. 07/21/18 06:54 PM
Installing Garritan CFX on External Drive
by Grandman. 07/21/18 06:18 PM
Bach Invention No. 1 mordent question
by AdagioLearner. 07/21/18 04:05 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,521
Posts2,733,299
Members90,609
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission