Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
98 registered members (anotherscott, ando, Animisha, Akari M, A441, AWilley, accordeur, AaronSF, Alexander Borro, 16 invisible), 1,566 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
"Theme with variations" recital - information and status #2520831
03/14/16 04:46 AM
03/14/16 04:46 AM
Norway
G
Ganddalf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Ganddalf  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
G

Norway
For practical reasons the submission deadline is moved to April 5th. But anyone who have their recordings ready are welcome to send me your links at any time before then.

Anyone wanting to add some text information are welcome to do that. Please, send me a PM with this text along with the links to the audio and/or video recordings!

Here is the sign-up list with the submission status. I'll take hand of updates of the list myself, but I recommend that you have an occasional look at it to ensure that I haven't missed your submission.

It would be nice if you could inform me by PM if you want to keep or skip the tentative sign-ups. Also inform me if you have decided to withdraw your piece. I hope that as many as possible will be able to contribute to this event.

If any of you have problems performing the complete sets, but want to play a selection of the variations it is OK. Just give some information about this in the optional text.

Schubert: Sonata Op.42, 2nd movement - Ganddalf
Norman Dello Joio: Sonata #3, 1st Movement - Tim Adrianson SUBMITTED
Adolphus Hailstork: Eight Variations on "Shalom Chevarim" - Tim Adrianson SUBMITTED
George Walker: Spatials - Tim Adrianson SUBMITTED
Leonard Bernstein: Touches - Tim Adrianson SUBMITTED
Tim Adrianson: Variations on J J Niles's "The Black Dress" - Tim Adrianson SUBMITTED
Haydn: Variations in F minor Hob. XVII:6 - hreichgott
Beethoven: Sonata, Op. 26, 1st movement - DameMyra
Chopin: Berceuse, op 57 - Pianamateur
Mendelssohn: Variations Serieuses, op 54 - Pianamateur (tentatively!)
Beethoven: 8 Variations WoO 76 - nhpianos
Brahms: Variations on a Theme by Handel, Op. 24 - jeffreyjones
Grieg: Ballade, Op. 24 - jeffreyjones
Bach: Goldberg Variations - beet31425
Mozart: 12 variations on Ah vous-dirai je maman K265 - Michiyo-Fir(tentative)
Haydn: Variations on Kaiserlied G major Hob.III/77: Schubertian
Beethoven: 12 Variations from Wranitzky's Das Waldmadchen, WoO 71 - nhpianos
Beethoven: 32 Variations in C minor - Cheeto717
Beethoven: Op 111, 2nd movement - Rubberfingers SUBMITTED
Beethoven: Op 109, 3rd movement - doctor_S
Mozart: Sonata in A major K.331 first movement - SiFi
Beethoven: 6 Variations in G major, WoO 77 - Vid
Beethoven: Eroica-variations Op.35 - jonnyboy126
Berkovich: Paganini Variations - AZNpiano
Beethoven: 24 Variations on "Venni Amore" by Righini WoO 65 - nhpianos
Handel: HWV 428, 5th mvt., Air and Variations - Cinnamonbear
Handel: HWV 430, 4th mvt., "Air con Variazioni" (The Harmonious Blacksmith) - Cinnamonbear
Brahms: Variations on an Original Theme, Op.21 No.1 - Pathbreaker
Respighi: Sicilian fr. ancient Airs and Dances - Musica71 SUBMITTED

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: "Theme with variations" recital - information and status [Re: Ganddalf] #2521328
03/15/16 12:50 PM
03/15/16 12:50 PM
UK
P
Pianamateur Offline
Pianamateur  Offline
P

UK
Hello Ganddalf! I am not ready with my Mendelssohn, or at least not ready to record anyway. It has been both a pleasure and a nightmare working on it for several months now, but I will not have it ready in time for the deadline. I am sorry. I do hope to have it polished in time for performance at summer school and will post a recording to Pianoworld later in the year. It's a wonderful, but even harder than I anticipated, piece...! It's 90% there, and experience tells me the next phase of working on it will simply take time for everything to sink in and therefore for me to start to perform, rather than just get around on the edge of my seat, the whole work.

As for my Chopin Berceuse, I have been piano-less for the last couple of weeks (complex situation involving a new house and new neighbours who are less than sympathetic to noise) but will try and get a recording at a lesson, festival or on a friend's piano by the deadline.

Tl;dr summary: please take the Mendelssohn Variations Serieuses off the list for me, and I will get the link for the Chopin to you as requested by the new deadline.

Ta,

Pam

Re: "Theme with variations" recital - information and status [Re: Ganddalf] #2521474
03/15/16 06:42 PM
03/15/16 06:42 PM
M
Michiyo-Fir Offline
500 Post Club Member
Michiyo-Fir  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

Hi Ganddalf, I think I'm going to withdraw my Mozart Variations off the list too. I've only gotten the first 7 variations done but I haven't polished them to my own standard to post.

Yamaha C3, Yamaha Avant Grand N1 (sold), Steingraeber 170 (family's)
Re: "Theme with variations" recital - information and status [Re: Ganddalf] #2521548
03/16/16 12:44 AM
03/16/16 12:44 AM
Washington, DC
SiFi Offline
1000 Post Club Member
SiFi  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Washington, DC
Ganddalf - What kind of production values are you expecting? I was just going to iPhone myself and have my son edit out the bits where I turn it on and off. It's a 6S, so not too bad. The playing should be at least quite moderate-to-moderate, but I am taking it seriously.

SRF
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: "Theme with variations" recital - information and status [Re: Michiyo-Fir] #2521580
03/16/16 04:31 AM
03/16/16 04:31 AM
Norway
G
Ganddalf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Ganddalf  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
G

Norway
Originally Posted by Michiyo-Fir
Hi Ganddalf, I think I'm going to withdraw my Mozart Variations off the list too. I've only gotten the first 7 variations done but I haven't polished them to my own standard to post.

Ok, it is your decision. It would have been acceptable if you played only the first 7 variations, but since you don't feel prepared I take you out of the list. I hope that you'll be able to present the whole set on another occasion.

Re: "Theme with variations" recital - information and status [Re: SiFi] #2521581
03/16/16 04:33 AM
03/16/16 04:33 AM
Norway
G
Ganddalf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Ganddalf  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
G

Norway
Originally Posted by SiFi
Ganddalf - What kind of production values are you expecting? I was just going to iPhone myself and have my son edit out the bits where I turn it on and off. It's a 6S, so not too bad. The playing should be at least quite moderate-to-moderate, but I am taking it seriously.

No special requirements. Of course, a better recording will give a better impression of your performance. I'm using a Zoom device myself. It doesn't produce top quality recordings, but just ok for the purpose.

Re: "Theme with variations" recital - information and status [Re: Ganddalf] #2521582
03/16/16 04:36 AM
03/16/16 04:36 AM
Norway
G
Ganddalf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Ganddalf  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
G

Norway
For practical reasons the submission deadline is moved to April 5th. But anyone who have their recordings ready are welcome to send me your links at any time before then.

Anyone wanting to add some text information are welcome to do that. Please, send me a PM with this text along with the links to the audio and/or video recordings!

Here is the sign-up list with the submission status. It will be updated as new submissions (or withdrawals) come in. I'll take hand of updates of the list myself, but I recommend that you have an occasional look at it to ensure that I haven't missed your submission.

Please inform me if you have decided to withdraw your piece. I hope that as many as possible will be able to contribute to this event.

If any of you have problems performing the complete sets, but want to play a selection of the variations it is OK. Just give some information about this in the optional text.

Adolphus Hailstork: Eight Variations on "Shalom Chevarim" - Tim Adrianson SUBMITTED
Tim Adrianson: Variations on J J Niles's "The Black Dress" - Tim Adrianson SUBMITTED
Beethoven: 8 Variations WoO 76 - nhpianos
Beethoven: 12 Variations from Wranitzky's Das Waldmadchen, WoO 71 - nhpianos
Beethoven: 24 Variations on "Venni Amore" by Righini WoO 65 - nhpianos
Handel: HWV 430, 4th mvt., "Air con Variazioni" (The Harmonious Blacksmith) - Cinnamonbear

Re: "Theme with variations" recital - information and status [Re: Ganddalf] #2521615
03/16/16 08:45 AM
03/16/16 08:45 AM
Norway
G
Ganddalf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Ganddalf  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
G

Norway

Here is the sign-up list with the submission status. It will be updated as new submissions (or withdrawals) come in. I'll take hand of updates of the list myself, but I recommend that you have an occasional look at it to ensure that I haven't missed your submission.

Please inform me if you have decided to withdraw your piece. I hope that as many as possible will be able to contribute to this event.

Beethoven: 8 Variations WoO 76 - nhpianos SUBMITTED
Beethoven: 12 Variations from Wranitzky's Das Waldmadchen, WoO 71 - nhpianos SUBMITTED
Beethoven: 24 Variations on "Venni Amore" by Righini WoO 65 - nhpianos SUBMITTED

Re: "Theme with variations" recital - information and status [Re: Ganddalf] #2521621
03/16/16 09:19 AM
03/16/16 09:19 AM
San Jose, CA
J
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member
jeffreyjones  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J

San Jose, CA
I'll do mine once I've gotten my home piano tuned. The instrument we have at church has become impossible to maintain, unfortunately, it just falls right off within 24 hours of tuning.

Re: "Theme with variations" recital - information and status [Re: Ganddalf] #2521734
03/16/16 03:50 PM
03/16/16 03:50 PM
M
Michiyo-Fir Offline
500 Post Club Member
Michiyo-Fir  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

Originally Posted by Ganddalf

Ok, it is your decision. It would have been acceptable if you played only the first 7 variations, but since you don't feel prepared I take you out of the list. I hope that you'll be able to present the whole set on another occasion.

Hmm... I suppose I will try to see if I can manage a recording of the first 6 or 7 variations then. Sorry for all the trouble! I will let you know if I succeed.

Re: "Theme with variations" recital - information and status [Re: Ganddalf] #2521751
03/16/16 04:34 PM
03/16/16 04:34 PM
Norway
G
Ganddalf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Ganddalf  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
G

Norway
No problem! I'm going to accept any relevant submission even if they haven't been signed up for. The main objective of the sign-up list is to give people the chance to select pieces that are not taken by anybody else.

Re: "Theme with variations" recital - information and status [Re: Ganddalf] #2521761
03/16/16 05:15 PM
03/16/16 05:15 PM
Vancouver, B.C.
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Vid  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Vancouver, B.C.
I'm close to being ready for submission but unfortunately attempting to record has revealed where I'm weak with the music.

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
Re: "Theme with variations" recital - information and status [Re: Ganddalf] #2521793
03/16/16 07:01 PM
03/16/16 07:01 PM
M
Michiyo-Fir Offline
500 Post Club Member
Michiyo-Fir  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

Maybe I've completely missed it, but where is the submission thread? How do we submit? I see the baroque submission thread in the ABF but I seem to be missing where the submission thread is for this recital?

Re: "Theme with variations" recital - information and status [Re: Vid] #2521903
03/17/16 02:52 AM
03/17/16 02:52 AM
Rockford, IL
Cinnamonbear Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Cinnamonbear  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Rockford, IL
I am closing in on it, and will take every smidgeon of practice time that I can afford up to the deadline before recording. I am learning to love my metronome. It is a multi-faceted and complex relationship.

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
Re: "Theme with variations" recital - information and status [Re: Michiyo-Fir] #2521978
03/17/16 10:06 AM
03/17/16 10:06 AM
Norway
G
Ganddalf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Ganddalf  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
G

Norway
Maybe I've completely missed it, but where is the submission thread? How do we submit? I see the baroque submission thread in the ABF but I seem to be missing where the submission thread is for this recital?

Store your file (audio or video) on a public domain on the internet (e.g. box.com, youtube.com) and send me a PM with a link. As an option you may also give me some written information about the music, composer etc.

Re: "Theme with variations" recital - information and status [Re: Vid] #2521979
03/17/16 10:07 AM
03/17/16 10:07 AM
Norway
G
Ganddalf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Ganddalf  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
G

Norway
Originally Posted by Vid
I'm close to being ready for submission but unfortunately attempting to record has revealed where I'm weak with the music.

Well known phenomenon. But it has a good side as it helps you focus on the right things at the polishing stage.

Re: "Theme with variations" recital - information and status [Re: Ganddalf] #2524920
03/26/16 08:28 PM
03/26/16 08:28 PM
San Jose, CA
J
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member
jeffreyjones  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J

San Jose, CA
I have a rough take of the Brahms-Handel, but I am not confident in my ability to improve on it. The past two weeks have been extremely rough on me and I've had little time at the keyboard. I still hope to submit the Grieg and may still read through the Faure to introduce new people to this wonderful piece.

Re: "Theme with variations" recital - information and status [Re: Ganddalf] #2524956
03/26/16 11:33 PM
03/26/16 11:33 PM
South Jersey
DameMyra Offline
2000 Post Club Member
DameMyra  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

South Jersey
Unfortunately I am still dealing with a protracted health issue and will not be able to submit my recording.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
Re: "Theme with variations" recital - information and status [Re: Ganddalf] #2525372
03/28/16 12:11 PM
03/28/16 12:11 PM
Massachusetts
Pathbreaker Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Pathbreaker  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Massachusetts
I've made a lot of practice recordings and seem to be closing in on a final recording. There are some seriously hairy spots that I'm still making progress on so I'm expecting a somewhat last minute recording as my best shot.

Re: "Theme with variations" recital - information and status [Re: Pathbreaker] #2525387
03/28/16 01:10 PM
03/28/16 01:10 PM
Western PA
doctor S Offline
doctor S  Offline

Western PA
Originally Posted by Pathbreaker
...There are some seriously hairy spots...

Does anybody know where I can get Nair in a 55-gallon drum?

"I will hear in Heaven." Beethoven
Re: "Theme with variations" recital - information and status [Re: Ganddalf] #2525593
03/29/16 06:59 AM
03/29/16 06:59 AM
Norway
G
Ganddalf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Ganddalf  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
G

Norway

Haydn: Variations on Kaiserlied G major Hob.III/77: Schubertian SUBMITTED
Beethoven: 12 Variations from Wranitzky's Das Waldmadchen, WoO 71 - nhpianos SUBMITTED
Beethoven: 6 Variations in G major, WoO 77 - Vid SUBMITTED
Beethoven: 24 Variations on "Venni Amore" by Righini WoO 65 - nhpianos SUBMITTED
S. Fox: Smile Variations Rubberfingers SUBMITTED

Re: "Theme with variations" recital - information and status [Re: Ganddalf] #2525953
03/30/16 08:28 AM
03/30/16 08:28 AM
Norway
G
Ganddalf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Ganddalf  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
G

Norway

Schubert: Sonata Op.42, 2nd movement - Ganddalf HA HA, DON'T NEED TO SUBMIT

Re: "Theme with variations" recital - information and status [Re: Ganddalf] #2525956
03/30/16 09:00 AM
03/30/16 09:00 AM
Norway
G
Ganddalf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Ganddalf  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
G

Norway
Having the privilege to listen to the submitted pieces prior to the "publishing" date I can assure you that this is going to be a great event. I'm impressed by all the talent out there.

Re: "Theme with variations" recital - information and status [Re: Ganddalf] #2527626
04/04/16 12:57 PM
04/04/16 12:57 PM
Washington, DC
SiFi Offline
1000 Post Club Member
SiFi  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Washington, DC
Originally Posted by Ganddalf
Having the privilege to listen to the submitted pieces prior to the "publishing" date I can assure you that this is going to be a great event. I'm impressed by all the talent out there.

Will try to get my son to record the Mozart this evening. If I have to wait until tomorrow, what time is the deadline? Will it be based on GMT (Zulu)?

SRF
Re: "Theme with variations" recital - information and status [Re: Ganddalf] #2527655
04/04/16 01:41 PM
04/04/16 01:41 PM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Sorry, I'd have to bail on this one. Too busy this time of the year.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: "Theme with variations" recital - information and status [Re: Ganddalf] #2527846
04/05/16 02:50 AM
04/05/16 02:50 AM
Norway
G
Ganddalf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Ganddalf  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
G

Norway
NEW INFO: Submissions will be accepted until Wednesday April 6th at 13:00 CET. The submitted pieces will be released in random order and since there are many long pieces they will come in batches of 3 - 5 pieces a day. The first release will be shortly after the deadline.

Not many of you have added much text information. You still have an option to send me a PM if there is anything you want to say about the music and your ideas of interpretation.

Brahms: Variations on a Theme by Handel, Op. 24 - jeffreyjones SUBMITTED
Grieg: Ballade, Op. 24 - jeffreyjones SUBMITTED

Re: "Theme with variations" recital - information and status [Re: Ganddalf] #2527887
04/05/16 06:39 AM
04/05/16 06:39 AM
Western PA
doctor S Offline
doctor S  Offline

Western PA
OMG! That's 8:00 AM, USA Eastern Standard Time????

Submitted (something...)

Last edited by doctor S; 04/05/16 07:53 AM.

"I will hear in Heaven." Beethoven
Re: "Theme with variations" recital - information and status [Re: Ganddalf] #2527888
04/05/16 06:44 AM
04/05/16 06:44 AM
Norway
G
Ganddalf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Ganddalf  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
G

Norway
NEW INFO: Submissions will be accepted until Wednesday April 6th at 13:00 CET. The submitted pieces will be released in random order and since there are many long pieces they will come in batches of 3 - 5 pieces a day. The first release will be shortly after the deadline.

Not many of you have added much text information. You still have an option to send me a PM if there is anything you want to say about the music and your ideas of interpretation.

Brahms: Variations on a Theme by Handel, Op. 24 - jeffreyjones SUBMITTED
Grieg: Ballade, Op. 24 - jeffreyjones SUBMITTED
Handel: HWV 428, 5th mvt., Air and Variations - Cinnamonbear SUBMITTED
Handel: HWV 430, 4th mvt., "Air con Variazioni" (The Harmonious Blacksmith) - Cinnamonbear SUBMITTED

Re: "Theme with variations" recital - information and status [Re: doctor S] #2527889
04/05/16 06:46 AM
04/05/16 06:46 AM
Norway
G
Ganddalf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Ganddalf  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
G

Norway
Originally Posted by doctor S
OMG! That's 8:00 AM, USA Eastern Standard Time????

If you people in the US need a few extra hours I may be flexible. But you will not appear in the first batch then. After all the deadline was initially April 1st, and later changed to April 5th.

Re: "Theme with variations" recital - information and status [Re: Ganddalf] #2527902
04/05/16 08:02 AM
04/05/16 08:02 AM
Washington, DC
SiFi Offline
1000 Post Club Member
SiFi  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Washington, DC
Ganddalf - What's CET? Also, could you remind me what's supposed to go in the text? Thanks!

SRF
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Research study on effective practice
by dogperson. 10/21/18 09:04 AM
Kawai CA98/78 with VST
by johanibraaten. 10/21/18 08:07 AM
Chocolate Audio pianos
by TheodorN. 10/21/18 06:01 AM
Need help picking a recital piece
by Pianist1234554321. 10/21/18 12:54 AM
What IS this Bechstein?
by precise. 10/21/18 12:38 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,911
Posts2,754,370
Members91,297
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission