2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, 8 invisible), 1,403 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Purchased a Kraft Music bundled package which includes the following piano bench:

https://on-stage.com/products/view/10510

Read the "Information" description:

WARNING: This product may contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, and birth defects and other reproductive harm.

What chemicals exactly are a problem, here?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
James,

Thanks for the info although I am still trying to figure out what part of the bench (perhaps the seat cushion?) contains the potential issue for chemicals as described?

I suppose I can ask Kraft to leave out the "bench" in my order (as I really do not need a new one) or perhaps just substitute another item for the bench.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Proposition 65 regulates substances officially listed by California as having a 1 in 100,000 chance of causing cancer over a 70-year period

That's what it is about. Most likely there's formaldehyde in the bench foam or somewhere else in the construction.

Most likely it is in every bench you've ever owned. This warning would be an example of the result of the litigious nature of the USA.

Jay

Industry Consultant
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Do they list other benches that don't carry this warning? If not, it could be a rider they put on everything just to protect themselves legally. I suspect it's to do with vinyl padding. Probably a leather padded bench wouldn't carry it. If it's not that - it must be the polyester/polyurethane paint on the legs. In that case, all of them probably carry the same warning.

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Jay,

I currently have the following bench I had been using with my V-Piano -- but it will be used no more:

https://on-stage.com/products/view/10506/117166

Apparently a fair number of their benches carries the "warning" -- but have to wonder why not all of them?

Also, I have not been using this bench anyway since I find it to be far too soft in the seat and does not give proper back support when sitting for long periods.

The solid hardwood Yamaha benches are far better!

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by ando
Do they list other benches that don't carry this warning? If not, it could be a rider they put on everything just to protect themselves legally. I suspect it's to do with vinyl padding. Probably a leather padded bench wouldn't carry it. If it's not that - it must be the polyester/polyurethane paint on the legs. In that case, all of them probably carry the same warning.

Please note that not ALL of their benches carry the warning as this makes things more confusing when comparing them:

https://on-stage.com/products/category/benches

Looks like 2 benches out of 8 in the links below do not carry the warning:

1) https://on-stage.com/products/view/10515/117170
2) https://on-stage.com/products/view/12515/122703

The first one is similar to what what is in my "bundle" (but does not have a flip-top seat) although I will not be accepting a bench as they all have the same materials -- same manufacturer, right?

Don't need an extra bench, anyway.

Originally Posted by pv88
Don't need an extra bench, anyway.

Okay, it's probably not worth worrying about then.

I assume you have already contacted Viscount/Physis to check that their instruments comply with the Prop 65 law?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Kawai James
I assume you have already contacted Viscount/Physis to check that their instruments comply with the Prop 65 law?

Kind regards,
James
x

No, as I was not even aware of this law you are mentioning until your reply. Is there any reason to believe there might be something hazardous in a digital piano and/or stand?

Sounds like this "law" could apply to a lot of stuff other than piano benches. I had a ceramic mug I bought at Walmart that I threw away after finding out it contained lead and did not want to risk problems with drinking anything from it.

How could a piano bench or digital pianos be dangerous, exactly?

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Upholstery stuffing on your piano bench (couch, bed, kitchen chairs) can contain fungicides, insecticides. The cloth or vinyl can contain solvents, the paint and/or wax can contain solvents. The whole thing can contain VOC's like formaldehyde, glycol, acetone, pick a chemical.

Circuit boards in your piano can contain lead solder (though it's not supposed to) and the capacitors can contain who-knows-what for dielectric material. The circuit board itself and the case and piano keys can contain bisphenol, styrene, vinyl chloride and all sorts of other goodies.

Is your piano casing or stand made of wood? MDF is usually glued together with urea formaldehyde.

Would you like to know what's in the carpet that's in the room your piano sits in? The paint on the walls? The wallboard under the paint, the drywall mud, and the wood trim around the edges?

Seriously, if you're going to worry about all of this stuff to the point that you avoid it completely you're probably going to have to live in a cabin in the woods that you construct yourself from trees that you cut yourself, and you'll have to heat it with firewood that you cut yourself in a stone fireplace that you've built using clay for mortar. (Watch out for microparticles in the air from burning that firewood, too.)

Just about all modern manufactured items will contain something that can be construed as bad for you or bad for the environment. It's just the world that we live in, and the price that we pay for having all of these convenient and nifty things.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by FrankCox

Seriously, if you're going to worry about all of this stuff to the point that you avoid it completely you're probably going to have to live in a cabin in the woods that you construct yourself from trees that you cut yourself, and you'll have to heat it with firewood that you cut yourself in a stone fireplace that you've built using clay for mortar. (Watch out for microparticles in the air from burning that firewood, too.)

Yeah, my vote for that, it be nice to do that, at least you will be aware from what moment your life was start to drop to the end, naturally of course.

Last edited by slobajudge; 03/11/16 02:42 AM.
It should be repeated that the cited warning hails from California. Odd, isn't it, that a state plagued by water shortages (from building great cities where water resources are scarce) and by poor air quality (from growing cities where natural atmospheric conditions amplify the problem) should champion warnings about material safety.

The most populous state lives in (and helps create) quality of life problems, and yet proceeds to warn people of the dangers of (in this case) miniscule amounts of formaldehyde in plastics ... about which the consumer can do little.

As Frank Cox points out, just live with such "dangers". (And we do.)

I would add: Ignore California. The nutty over-reactors there seem to outnumber the sane.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I would add: Ignore California. The nutty over-reactors there seem to outnumber the sane.

This.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
They should just put a general warning that being born increases your chances of getting cancer.

What do snowflakes and Chickerings have in common? There are no two exactly alike!
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by guyl
They should just put a general warning that being born increases your chances of getting cancer.

Yes, in Californian hospitals they could immediately pop a little toe tag onto each newborn with a disclaimer stating "this human being will die one day, you've brought it into this world at your own risk".

Where will the insanity end? I saw a gaggle of school kids the other day on a trip out in our local park...they all had little matching fluorescent tabards on and were being constantly monitored by several adults including some hapless parents who'd been roped in to meet some ridiculous adult/child ratio I assume. I don't know why I found the whole spectacle so depressing, but I did. I thought to myself that someone will next suggest each kid must wear some kind of headgear with flashing orange lights on. The absurdity of the idea struck me but then I realised that if it really was put forward as a way to enhance their safety then it would probably really happen, because the authorities would be so scared of not adopting this wonderful new safety measure.

I thought just leaving the house was dangerous but now I realise the vinyl on my piano stool is actually killing me so I have retreated to the garden, in fear of my life. I hope a plane doesn't crash on my head out here. Or a large pigeon. But I'm scared to go back in the house because of the vinyl. But then the cold will kill me tonight...so what should I do? Anyone?

K
K
Stay on the shade. Sunrays are known for producing skin cancer

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by EssBrace
I thought just leaving the house was dangerous but now I realise the vinyl on my piano stool is actually killing me so I have retreated to the garden, in fear of my life. I hope a plane doesn't crash on my head out here. Or a large pigeon. But I'm scared to go back in the house because of the vinyl. But then the cold will kill me tonight...so what should I do? Anyone?

This is a massive problem and the issue is complex. Having said that, the answer to your specific question above is clear: you should stay put in your back garden and slowly freeze to death (pity we didn't think of it a couple of months back when the process would have been speeded up by the 100% natural phenomenon known as 'winter'). You will go on to make excellent organic material for the birds and bees. Don't spoil it by sitting on a vynl piano bench first as the sparrows might choke on the stream of formaldehyde which you will, no doubt, emit in a most offensive manner. In a nutshell, beware of life, which has, in some states been identified as deadly.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

I would think someone from North Carolina wouldn't be pointing their finger at California. wink

Voting ID laws, restrictive abortion laws, but if you want to buy an assault weapon in North Carolina, no problem. smile

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Dave Horne

I would think someone from North Carolina wouldn't be pointing their finger at California. wink

Voting ID laws, restrictive abortion laws, but if you want to buy an assault weapon in North Carolina, no problem. smile

Quite possibly true. But, an assault weapon MIGHT kill you. A vinyl covered piano bench will DEFINITELY kill you. Apparently.

A
A
Hi Pv88

If you are concerned you might want to do some research on BPA (Bisphenol A) and its substitutes BPS and BPF these are known endocrine disruptors.

Also the omnipresent Phthalates that are also widely used in plastics notable versions being BBzp (butyl benzyl phthalate), DnBP (dibutyl phthalate) and DEHB (di-2-ethyl hexyl phthalate).

Kind regards
Angela.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission