2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
55 members (cgeronimo, computerpro3, 36251, Buzz209, chopinetto, clothearednincompo, Carey, AmyKaye, 15 invisible), 455 guests, and 225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Roland FP30 or something more expensive?
#2519263 03/09/16 05:37 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Hello everybody,

I am new here and I'm a beginner piano player (been playing for about 1 year) looking for a new digital piano (the one I own is a crappy-sounding plastic thing with little non weighted keys).

Now, I know that the key to buying a new instrument is trying it yourself, and apologize in advance if these kind of topics are opened often.
Unfortunately my city doesn't have a lot of music shops, and those few ones have more or less the same products in offer, so I would really really appreciate any suggestion that you more expert guys might give me.

What I'm mainly looking for:
- heavy action
- realistic sounds
- lightweight

So far I've only tried the Roland FP30 and the Kawai ES7.

I was in love with Kawai instruments after playing a friend's digital piano, but I must say that I've found the action in the ES7 a bit too light, and the sound quality hasn't particularly impressed me.

I've been instead surprised by the FP30, as it has (to my inexpert hands) a very realistic feel and nicely heavy keys.

The main problem here is: I would be ready to spend much more money than what needed to buy the FP30 (like between 2k and 3k euros), as I'd like to avoid having to buy another new better model some time from now, so I've considered buying something online based on some reviews, but it seems that all the high range models are also effing heavyweight! Also, I've been reading that the action on the other Roland models is generally not as heavy as on the FP30.

As far as I've understood, the main problems with the FP30 are:
- the sounds which are not piano sounds are not particularly realistic
- no line out (does it really distort much if one uses the headphone exit to amplify the sound externally?)
- no wav/mp3 recording via usb (not sure on this one)
- probably something else that I'm missing since the FP30 is quite so cheap????

Based on the above, do you think FP30 is a good choice, or would I be able to find a higher range instrument that, while still having a nicely heavy action and a light weight (do high range keyboards with a light weight even exist?), doesn't have the problems of the FP30?

(soon I will also be trying the Yamaha P115 but I haven't heard great things about it. Still, you never know... In any case, I guess that's hardly a "high quality instrument", at least judging by the price)

Again, thank you very much in advance for any advice you might be able to give me.

Cheers!

Re: Roland FP30 or something more expensive?
Kalos Piano #2519268 03/09/16 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Kalos Piano

As far as I've understood, the main problems with the FP30 are:
- the sounds which are not piano sounds are not particularly realistic
- no line out (does it really distort much if one uses the headphone exit to amplify the sound externally?)
- probably something else that I'm missing since the FP30 is quite so cheap????

(soon I will also be trying the Yamaha P115 but I haven't heard great things about it. Still, you never know... In any case, I guess that's hardly a "high quality instrument", at least judging by the price)

Again, thank you very much in advance for any advice you might be able to give me.

Cheers!

The problem with using the headphone output is that you can't use the speakers att the same time. But if you have a proper DI-box the audio will be of excellent quality.

The Yamaha P-115 is the marketleader and no one else is even close in sales, if I understand correctly. And it's without a doubt a quality instrument as is the FP-30. They are different, though, so try both! smile

Peace.

Kalos Piano #2519272 03/09/16 05:50 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Do you absolutely need portability and lightweight?

For the record the FP-30 shares many of it's 35 panel voices with its bigger brethren. Tones that aren't Acoustic Piano are still very good, although there is not a ton of them.

I haven't tried the headphone outs for amplification as yet.

The Fp-30 is definitely a great value.

If you want a bigger brother to the FP-30 while maintaining portability, the FP-50 bears investigation. Although the action is one generation older, you may like it very much. I believe that there is another forum member who recently purchased one who likes it very much.

The FP-50 and FP-80 have been best sellers for us since their release. Many many many musicians use those pianos every day at home and on stage.

Jay

Last edited by Jay Roland; 03/09/16 05:51 PM.

Formerly in the business. Now just a piano fan.
JayGVan #2519276 03/09/16 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by Jay Roland
Do you absolutely need portability and lightweight?...

Jay

I'm right now looking into a new piano for the livingroom and as of now the Yamaha Ydp-162 and Roland F-140r is my favorites, with an edge for the F-140r because of a lot of functionality and the action. Looking forward to a testdrive as soon as possible. smile

Peace.

Kalos Piano #2519324 03/09/16 08:23 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Hello Kalos Piano, welcome to the forum.

What I'm mainly looking for:
- heavy action
- realistic sounds
- lightweight

Do you requite the instrument to have built-in speakers, or will you be willing to use headphones or external speakers? Depending on your needs, I would recommend the following instruments:

Portable pianos (with speakers)
- Yamaha P255, P115
- Roland FP-80, FP-50, FP-30
- Kawai ES8, ES100
- Casio PX-560, PX-360, PX-160

Stage pianos (without speakers)
- Yamaha CP4, CP40
- Roland RD-800, RD-300NX
- Kawai MP11, MP7
- Casio PX-5S

I was in love with Kawai instruments after playing a friend's digital piano, but I must say that I've found the action in the ES7 a bit too light, and the sound quality hasn't particularly impressed me.

The ES7 has been succeeded by the ES8, which features an improved action and the latest Shigeru Kawai piano samples. The ES8 action should feel a little more substantial, due to the presence of counterweights embedded within the keys, however I don't believe the weighting itself has been changed significantly.

I would add that a 'heavy' action is not necessarily more realistic than a 'light' action, and vice versa - there are a number of other factors to consider (static vs dynamic weight, the expressiveness of the action, how well the keys 'connect' to the sound, etc.). My Nord Electro has a very light, easy to play action, compared to my Kawai MP8II, however the MP8II's action is far, far more piano-like and expressive.

Do you recall which Kawai model does your friend owns, just out of interest?

I've been instead surprised by the FP30, as it has (to my inexpert hands) a very realistic feel and nicely heavy keys.

I've yet to try the FP-30, but by all accounts it's a fantastic instrument for the price.

The main problem here is: I would be ready to spend much more money than what needed to buy the FP30 (like between 2k and 3k euros), as I'd like to avoid having to buy another new better model some time from now, so I've considered buying something online based on some reviews, but it seems that all the high range models are also effing heavyweight! Also, I've been reading that the action on the other Roland models is generally not as heavy as on the FP30.

I would argue that you cannot believe everything you read online - especially when it comes to subjective characteristics such as how an instrument plays or sounds. It's really essential that you try each instrument for yourself.

However, if you enjoyed playing the FP-30, and it suits your needs (portable, lightweight), I would strongly consider purchasing this model - regardless of the relatively low price. It's brand new, has a very good specification, and should serve you well for a number of years.

I believe the FP-30 can playback WAV files from USB, but can only record in SMF (standard MIDI file) format.

Again, don't worry too much about the price - provided you like how an instrument sounds and plays, the price (low or high) is not so important.

Best of luck with your purchase.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Rille Stark #2519326 03/09/16 08:26 PM
Online Content
Originally Posted by Rille Stark
The problem with using the headphone output is that you can't use the speakers att the same time.

Not necessarily. The ES100 allows the built-in speakers and the headphone outputs to be used simultaneously (for example, to drive an external amplifier while using the built-in speakers as monitors), and I expect the new FP-30 supports a similar feature.

Kind regards,
James
x

Kalos Piano #2519333 03/09/16 08:43 PM
T
T
Kalos Piano - From what you've written I suspect you may be crossing the line between "well researched" and "over analyzed to the point of paralysis." I say this because I cross that line a great deal. For instance, you tried both the FP-30 and ES7, and it sounds like you preferred the significantly less expensive FP-30, but the price difference may be throwing you off. Also some of the negatives you mentioned from your research sound like they may not apply to what you're looking for. As for how realistic the sounds are; well, how did they seem to your ears?

If it helps, also remember how fast digital technology progresses, that the FP-30 has just been released while I believe the ES7 has recently been replaced with the ES8.

In any case, I recommend not worrying too much about the price, maybe trying the other Rolands and Kawais as well as Yamahas, maybe even some Casios (maybe even try a Nord if they're in budget where you live), then go back to the FP-30 and see how it holds up. I suspect it will compare quite well.

(Finally, as for light weight high range digital pianos, there are instruments which do not have built in speakers, although what exactly is "light" is subjective. Since I remember regularly moving acoustic pianos around back in my school days they all seem pretty light to me).

Edit- I did not see Kawai James' posts as I took a bit while writing this, otherwise I would have made a much shorter post as he provided a lot of great detail.

Last edited by TimPoe; 03/09/16 08:49 PM.
Kalos Piano #2519407 03/10/16 02:55 AM
C
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
C
I think that the Casio PX-160 / PX-360 are about as light as any fully-weighted, 88-key DP's:

. . . 25.5 lbs (about 11.5 kg).

For comparison, the Casio PX5S -- with identical keyboard, but without amps and speakers, weighs:

. . . 24.5 lbs (about 11.1 kg)

So, for these low-power, small-speaker "slab" DP's, the amp and speakers don't add much weight.

On the basis of a few minutes of playing, I'd agree with previous opinions:

. . . the FP-30 is competitive with (maybe better than, depending on taste) other candidates,
. . . at its price.

It won't be a mistake.

It's 31 lbs (14 kg) -- still in the "lightweight" category. No built-in audio recorder, but that's easily solved -- you can get a Zoom or Tascam digital recorder for a reasonable price.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / EV ZXA1 speaker
Kawai James #2519410 03/10/16 03:10 AM
Originally Posted by Kawai James
The problem with using the headphone output is that you can't use the speakers att the same time.

Not necessarily. The ES100 allows the built-in speakers and the headphone outputs to be used simultaneously (for example, to drive an external amplifier while using the built-in speakers as monitors), and I expect the new FP-30 supports a similar feature.

Kind regards,
James
x

No, it doesn't. But the FP-30 has other qualities. smile

Peace

Rille Stark #2519420 03/10/16 03:46 AM
Online Content

Related to headphone/line output?

Interesting use of censorship, by the way...

Cheers,
James
x

Kawai James #2519425 03/10/16 04:06 AM

Related to headphone/line output?
Cheers,
James
x

Yes, there is no function to turn the speakers on and off according to the manual of the FP-30. There always off with a connector in either or both of the headphonejacks.

Peace

Kawai James #2519436 03/10/16 05:18 AM
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L

I was just puzzled by that - what did I miss?

Lester Burnham #2519440 03/10/16 06:06 AM
Online Content
Originally Posted by Lester Burnham

I was just puzzled by that - what did I miss?

When quoting me, Rille initially replaced the 'ES100' in my reply with 'XXXXX', although it appears that he's since restored the model name.

Just a little storm in a teacup. wink

James
x

Kawai James #2519444 03/10/16 06:12 AM

Just a little storm in a teacup. wink

James
x

Just like that! smile

And here is the manual: http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/FP-30_e02_W.pdf

Peace

Kalos Piano #2519508 03/10/16 11:12 AM
I
I
Hi everyone,

I just ordered the FP-30 yesterday, so needless to say I recommend it. Living in a small town, I didn't have the luxury of dropping by a local dealer to try out different boards, but I've owned a Roland D700SX previously, and I did a TON of research online before making a decision. Unfortunately, the feel of this thing will have to be a surprise (hopefully the good kind) when I get it delivered. I’ve heard good things about the PHA-4 beds, so I’m hoping it will be decent, even though it’s the lower of three flavors (Standard, Premium, Concert).

What I look for in a DP is the most realistic acoustic piano sound and feel. I don't care about organ, synth, EQ, effects and the other stuff I never use. I'm a pianist, and all I ask is it plays, feels, sounds, responds like the real thing, as closely as possible.

I consider Roland's SuperNATURAL pianos to be one of the best as far as built-in sounds go, and from what I understand, the FP-30 has the same sound engine as their professional broads like the RD800. Just wish it had the same keybed smile

Can’t wait to try it!

Current gear: Roland DP603, Roland FP-30, Pianoteq 5, LSR308 monitors
Previous gear: Yamaha CVP203 > Roland RD700SX
Kalos Piano #2519531 03/10/16 01:05 PM
K
OP Offline
K
wow, guys, I didn't expect so many answers, thank you all so much!

To answer some of you, I confirm that I really need the instrument to be portable as I might be moving house soon and also I wish to carry the keyboard with me to some friends'house sometimes.

I would also prefer to have the built-in speakers, so I don't need to carry the extra weight of an external ampli.

@Kawai James, I think my friend owns a CN24... hardly a portable model :-)

As TimPoe said, I am indeed probably overanalyzing this to the point of paralysis, and I shouldn't get thrown off by the price differences, but it's rather frustrating not being able to compare what I try with other more advanced models just because of a lack of shops in my area.

I cannot even compare the FP30 with the 50 or the 80, because the only way to have these here in a shop is to order them, which of course implies paying them.

@ivorytux. Sorry about the ignorance, but I don't even know what difference a keybed makes in terms of the overall quality of the instrument :-( any clarification in that sense by anybody would very much be appreciated.

In the end I guess everybody agrees that buying an instrument without trying it is not a good idea... So I don't have a lot of choice here in my city smile I'll wait until the weekend so I will be able to try the Yamaha P115, and then I will choose between that and the FP30, since I've already excluded the ES7.

Just hope that I won't regret not having bought a more advanced model online in the future smile

Thanks again everybody for your kind help!

Kalos Piano #2519538 03/10/16 01:29 PM
I
I
@Kalos there's actually very little information out there as far as the exact differences, or at least it's managed to elude my extensive googling smile

Anyway, the main difference as far as I do know is the the Standard has a shorter pivot length, which means the further up the key you go, the more pressure you have to apply to get the same velocity that you would get with less pressure at the very tip of the key - hope that makes sense.

The Concert version has a longer pivot length, which means the amount of pressure applied to the key can be more even from the tip to the back of the key. This makes it more realistic as acoustic pianos have longer pivot lengths as well.

One other difference is that the Standard has "Ivory feel" keytops on the white keys, whereas the Concert supposedly has the that, plus something called "Ebony feel" for the black keys. All of these little luxuries basically just gets you a few steps closer to the feel of an actual concert grand piano.

Not sure if the mods will let me post the link, but here's
another thread that covers many different keybeds

Last edited by ivorytux; 03/10/16 01:33 PM.

ivorytux #2519547 03/10/16 01:48 PM
I
I
Just found this as well. It's from earlier generations of Roland's actions, but illustrates my point. Notice the difference in length at left top part of the keys.
[Linked Image]

ivorytux #2520236 03/12/16 01:51 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Finally I both the Roland FP30 and the Yamaha P115. I was really really undecided, and kept going from one to the other. I think the action in the P115 felt somewhat more realistic, while the quality of the keys themselves was better in the FP30. After a long long time spent testing the two models, since I couldn't choose which keyboard feel I liked the most, I decided to choose based on the sound quality.
I'm now the proud owner of a new shiny Roland FP30 :-)
Thanks again everybody for all the suggestions.

Kalos Piano #2520248 03/12/16 02:09 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Congratulations Kalos!

thank you for your trust in Roland. if you need help with anything, we are here to assist you!

Jay

Formerly in the business. Now just a piano fan.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Modern Alternatives to the Metronome
by navindra - 07/13/20 08:10 PM
Eleanor Sokoloff RIP
by pianoloverus - 07/13/20 04:15 PM
Winter NAMM 2021 - Proceed or Cancel?
by PianoManChuck - 07/13/20 03:55 PM
Roland A-88mk2 - clunky black keys?
by Karnevil - 07/13/20 01:53 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,235
Posts2,980,336
Members97,760
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission