2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, Barly, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,048 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2519037 03/09/16 03:11 AM
I
OP Offline
I
 Hi!
I recenty had my piano tuned by a professional tuner. But I am a bit confused. I have a an app on my phone which gives the pitch of certain sounds. When I play the key of A it says something like 435hz (even if my ear hear that the piano was in tune but my listening skills are poor). It doesn't say 440hz. I am aware of other strings vibrating due to something called overtones but shouldn't it be 440hz? What is going on with my piano?
Doesn't piano tuners go by the exact pitch that a note should be? The standard is A=440 aftar all. Is this actually a problem? My ears couldn't hear that it was slightly out of tune so why even bother about this?

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
If your tuner tuned your piano to something other than A-440, you should have been told. Usually that is only done on really old pianos where pulling the strings to 440 runs the risk of breakage, or by request.

However, you should make sure your tuning app is calibrated properly. You could try a different app, or compare the note on your piano to a known pitch.

Semipro Tech
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J

I agree with BDB that risk of string breakage is a probable reason for tuning the piano flat and that you should have been informed. There are a couple of other possibilities, firstly there are a few pianos around which were made to an older tuning standard and it might be that your tuner was being punctillious about this, secondly he may have found that the piano was roughly in tune at about 435Hz and decided to save time by tuning it where it stood. Which is very naughty.

I don't know if this is universal or only in France, nor do I know where you are, but here the dialling tone on telephones is set to 440Hz so you could test A natural on the piano against that or even test your tuning app. with it.

Sauter Alpha 160, Yamaha N3 Avant Grand, Sauter Studio Upright (1974)
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
One way to answer the question is to ask the tuner.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
Originally Posted by BDB
If your tuner tuned your piano to something other than A-440, you should have been told. Usually that is only done on really old pianos where pulling the strings to 440 runs the risk of breakage, or by request.

However, you should make sure your tuning app is calibrated properly. You could try a different app, or compare the note on your piano to a known pitch.

+1 smile

Rick

P.S. if you still have a telephone land line in the US, the dial tone should be A440. Plus, there is a US government number you can call at certain times of the day where they broadcast certain sound frequencies (but I don't have that number handy)

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
You can find plenty of A-440 sources on YouTube. And other websites have reference tones available on-line.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J

I just found an A 440 on You Tube, it goes on for 5'57". I wonder if there is any significance to 5'57"? Anyway I got fed up with it after about 17 secs which probably means that I'm a very shallow person.

I
OP Offline
I
Well, the piano tuner did not say anything at all. Piano tuners just do their job and then leave. This is how they work, I guess!
Anyway, do you think it matters if it is 440 or 435 since normal people don't have absolute pith?
Could there really be any problems at all? Is this even a problem?

But please explain this to me: a piano has overtones and thus you will hear other pitches than 440hz when depressing down the A (tuned to cocert pitch). So I will hear 440hz and 880hz and so on instead of just a single pitch. This what all the piano tuners on youtube say. How then would a tuning app be able to hear one single pitch?

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Dial tone in North America is a combination of two tones: 350 Hz and 440 Hz

What do snowflakes and Chickerings have in common? There are no two exactly alike!
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J

440 Hz is the fundamental and almost by definition the loudest component of the note and this is what your telephone 'hears'.

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content

9000 Post Club Member
The A in the temperament octave should be exactly 440. The other A's (and other notes as well), higher and lower on the keyboard, may be "stretched" due to inharmonicity, but that won't effect the issue that concerns you: whether or not your piano was tuned to 440, and it sounds like it wasn't.

5 cents is not the end of the world (but the tuner should have told you). It'll only be an issue if you're accompanying other musicians, and even then only if they can't adjust their instruments accordingly, or trying to match something that was recorded at A=440).

If your piano sounds ok, meaning this A is not 5 cents flat relative to the notes around it, then it's not a really big deal.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
435 hz is more like 19 to 20 cents flat. The tuner should of advised you.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-centsratio.htm

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
C
C
There are some really interesting YouTube videos about this. But YouTube doesn't often cooperate for rural folks, and today it's throwing a fit.

How does the app determine if a piano is out of tune? Is there a way that I can evaluate my piano on my own?

A=440 is for a specific A key, then? Are the others scaled up and down from there?

This is so intriguing to me.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by iamanders
Well, the piano tuner did not say anything at all. Piano tuners just do their job and then leave. This is how they work, I guess!
Anyway, do you think it matters if it is 440 or 435 since normal people don't have absolute pith?
Could there really be any problems at all? Is this even a problem?

Will the piano be played with other instruments?
There have been a couple of occasions where I haven't set A4 at 440 Hz (speaking as an apprentice tech, not an expert, so take this with a grain of salt): I tuned one piano at 436 (where it was already), because it was so old that I was worried about string breakage. Another, I didn't have time (nor was I being paid) to do a multiple-pass tuning to "pitch raise/lower" the piano to 440, so I didn't pitch raise the piano that much in the hopes of providing a stable tuning in one pass. Also, it was a 45+ year old spinet and I didn't want to deal with string breakage/replacement on it... So far, I've only popped one string when pitch raising a piano significantly, though I've probably only performed about 70 tunings.

Both times the piano wasn't brought up or down to 440, I communicated with the piano owner clearly during my visit.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
Originally Posted by MooseNotes
A=440 is for a specific A key, then? Are the others scaled up and down from there?

MooseNotes, I'm petty much an amateur, but the note A-4 (5th A up from A-0, first note to the left on the 88 key keyboard) is supposed to be tuned to 440 hertz, to be considered concert pitch; unless the piano is tuned a bit higher. Some pianists have their piano tuned to a higher A-442 or even A-443. But I think A-440 is the most common.

From the left/bass side of the 88 key piano, you've got A-0, A#-1, B-1, C-1, C#-1, D-1, D#-1, E-1, F-1, F#1, G-1, G#-1, A-1; that's the first octave. Then, the notes go all the way up to C-8, the last note on the 88 key keyboard.

My piano tuning software uses all sharps for the black notes.

And, yes, it is very interesting! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel

9000 Post Club Member
Online Content

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by accordeur

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-centsratio.htm

Oops. You are correct. Still not the end of the world (imo).

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

This is so intriguing to me.

Moose, the pitch to which pianos are tuned has historically been very variable, and was only standardised as late as the 1930s. Traditionally, the A above middle-C has had the honour of being taken as the reference point. According to the modern standard this A should have a frequency of 440 vibrations per second ("Hertz"). This is conveniently referred to as "A=440". As you say, the frequency for the other notes will be taken from there. So for example, A3 will be 220, and A5 will be 880. Period-instrument ensembles generally use a lower pitch, frequently A=415. The history of the pitches to which instruments have been tuned is complex and fascinating, see for example this page.

My piano (an antique Bluthner) has the words "TIEFE STIMMUNG" printed on the plate, near the tuning pins. This means "low tuning". I still have not got to the bottom of this, but I think this refers to the Paris convention of 1859, which specified A=435. Before WW1, the wording for such Bluthner pianos was "PARISER STIMMUNG" (Paris tuning), but the wording was changed during the War for obvious reasons.

It has been suggested to me that this 435 was "low" not with reference to 440 (which was not the standard then), but relating to common pitches at the time, which were typically higher still.

Is there a way that I can evaluate my piano on my own?

Traditionally this was done using a tuning fork. You might enjoy getting one!

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

Yes, if it really is that the tuner used 435. The other possibility is that this app on a cell phone isn't all that reliable and accurate. What does the app use as a frequency reference?

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by JohnSprung

Yes, if it really is that the tuner used 435. The other possibility is that this app on a cell phone isn't all that reliable and accurate. What does the app use as a frequency reference?

The app I'm using says 440hz for my digital piano and 435 for the acoustic upright. I don't know how accurate this is but way better than my ears.
And what do you mean by frequency reference?

Originally Posted by iamanders
And what do you mean by frequency reference?
John is pretty piano smart, and I can't speak for him; but I think he means "calibration benchmark". A reference point is like a cornerstone or benchmark where things start and are built from that point, beginning at the benchmark.

For example, an A440 tuning fork can be "off the mark", i.e. A438 or A442, if the atmospheric pressure and temperature surrounding the tuning fork are above or below standard conditions. Or, a low quality A440 tuning fork may be off a bit due to quality variations.

At least I think that is what he meant by frequency reference. smile

Rick

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission