2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
46 members (Chompoo, AJB, AndreaH, 80k, Carey, astrotoy, AprilE, Anevsky, axomas, 8 invisible), 3,544 guests, and 249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
Hello

This is my first post on the forum. I'm looking to purchase my first Steinway B after studying at Curtis. I went to Jacobs in Philly and most of the pianos there are 70k+. I happened to be cruising on eBay and found one for $52,000 from 2010. Can you help me out? It sounds too good to be true?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steinway-B-2010-11-Final-Price-Going-FAST-Selected-by-Susan-Starr-/172115331995?hash=item2812df8b9b:g:f3kAAOSwQYZWz4Ze

Thank you for your comments.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
You might want to check out www.pianomart.com also.

C
OP Offline
C
I'll make sure to check out www.pianomart.com Thanks for your suggestion.

C
OP Offline
C
It appears to be on there too. Also looks like the best priced :-/

http://www.pianomart.com/buy-a-piano/piano-ads.php?keyword=steinway+b&submit=

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Are you buying it or selling it? wink

C
OP Offline
C
I wish I was selling it. I'm taking the train tonight to go play it. I'm a Curtis Student scheduled to graduate this year and studying with Fleisher. I have a Steinway in my Phila apartment because of Curtis that I've played on for the last 4 years. Also studied composition with Sheridan Seyfried.

Wish me luck!

Last edited by CurtisStudent45; 03/07/16 04:55 PM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I would consider putting down a deposit and making subject to a successful independent tech inspection, if you end up liking it. The only reason I mention that is the piano will have no warranty. Even at a good price, that's a $52,000 risk...

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content

8000 Post Club Member
Good luck! Another member here bought a relatively new B a year or two ago, and, if I recall correctly, his budget was in the 50k neighborhood too. Maybe he'll chime in, but good luck with your trip, and I hope the piano meets your expectations.

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
I would consider putting down a deposit and making subject to a successful independent tech inspection, if you end up liking it. The only reason I mention that is the piano will have no warranty. Even at a good price, that's a $52,000 r
Good advice.

I think new ebony Bs cost very close to 100K so this could be a terrific buy. Since pianos depreciate the most in the first few years you may have an opportunity to buy at the sweet spot for used piano buyers. Or the price could be low for any number of other reasons.

OTOH if you don't like the piano too much and your hired tech doesn't think the piano can be adjusted more to your liking, it can be a mistake to buy a piano mostly because it's selling at an excellent price. So get a very qualified tech who will know what the possibilities for making the tone or touch more to your liking if necessary.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 03/07/16 08:04 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Anybody looking for a "B" with a budget around 50K should plan a trip to Texas.... might not find "the one" but for sure there are plenty to play.

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Be sure to have the technician test the piano to see if the V-bar, (capo bar), has been hardened. Some Steinways have this design feature hardened and it is a disaster for string life and tone, it is very expensive to modify the piano to remedy this and very, very, few technicians would even be capable of fixing it.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
C
OP Offline
C
All it's an AMAZING piano. I just got back after playing it. I have some follow up work to do but it's looking like a purchase. Thanks so much for all the help!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You should know enough about pianos to tell if there are any major issues. As a Curtis student you also have access to good piano techs. Talk to them about the piano. As a Curtis student, I think it's fair to say you're very qualified to judge for yourself. Asking if this is a good price makes sence because you may not know what B's go for. This is a very good price. If you think it's amazing as you said and the sound board and ribs look good, hammers are OK, action in good shape, I say pull the trigger. Did they let you pull the action out? We would love to see a video of you playing this piano on the forum. If you love the piano, very little else matters for a piano only 6 years old.

Do or do not. There is no try.

8000 Post Club Member
Online Content

8000 Post Club Member
Awesome! Congratulations.

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by CurtisStudent45
All it's an AMAZING piano. I just got back after playing it. I have some follow up work to do but it's looking like a purchase. Thanks so much for all the help!

Did they tell you WHY they are selling the piano??? smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
C
OP Offline
C
Ralph

The action looked good. The ONLY thing that I thought may be wrong with the piano... Not even wrong, but the owner played the piano often and the hammers may need a touch up. That's the ONLY thing I found that I thought needed work. The action was beautiful, soundboard beautiful, tone was AMAZING. The bass sounded like a D at Curtis.

I know I need to pull the trigger quickly so tomorrow I plan to do some last min stuff.

Thank you for your help on the price.

C
OP Offline
C
Carey

I took the Paoli-Thorndale line to the Villanova train stop and was met by a 750Li BMW. Their house is not visible from the gate. I drove up this crazy long driveway and the piano was all the way in the back in what they called the "Red Room."

But what the woman said was that her son had played and studied and quit. She has an A that is down in NJ at their shore house. The son is now moving out and they are going to sell the piano he studied on and move the A back up.

So all in all I felt very good about the trip.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ralph

The action looked good. The ONLY thing that I thought may be wrong with the piano... Not even wrong, but the owner played the piano often and the hammers may need a touch up. That's the ONLY thing I found that I thought needed work. The action was beautiful, soundboard beautiful, tone was AMAZING. The bass sounded like a D at Curtis.

I know I need to pull the trigger quickly so tomorrow I plan to do some last min stuff.

Thank you for your help on the price.

If you're talking about the D in Field concert hall, I know it well. Or at least I know them well. I know that stage goes down into the basement were there are probably other pianos. I have been going to the student recitals for almost 20 years and for years on a weekly basis. If this B sounds like that D and, most importantly, you love it, then that's really all that matters. If the hammers need filing, that's not a big deal. If it sounds OK to you, then leave the hammers alone. Some people will tell you NY Steinways use inferior Mapes bass strings, or their hammers aren't as good as German Steinways, yada yada yada. You are the one who is the expert. The piano is only 6 years old. Asking why they are selling it is a good idea. Make sure it didn't fall out of a window or get caught in a flood. Otherwise you have yourself a piano. Congratulations.

Do or do not. There is no try.
J
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
J
I wish I was selling it. I'm taking the train tonight to go play it. I'm a Curtis Student scheduled to graduate this year and studying with Fleisher. I have a Steinway in my Phila apartment because of Curtis that I've played on for the last 4 years. Also studied composition with Sheridan Seyfried.

Wish me luck!

Studying with Fleisher? You lucky sod! I'm jealous!

YAMAHA Artist
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
CurtisStudent45,

Have Jon or Rodney (the 2 Curtis techs.) look at the piano for you. If they are busy we also have that same service available.

It looks like you may have found a piano. Feel free to reach out to me if we can help. We move, tune, etc.

Good Luck!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Learn to Burn!
by Dfrankjazz - 07/01/22 12:36 AM
Summer school in UK
by FarmGirl - 06/30/22 11:12 PM
Recommended tech in NYC?
by skern49 - 06/30/22 07:39 PM
UEFI / BIOS settings regarding CPU
by David Lai - 06/30/22 07:26 PM
When you play the real Rhodes...
by Rhodes74 - 06/30/22 06:23 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,754
Posts3,204,571
Members105,685
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission