2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (brennbaer, busa, Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, bobrunyan, 13 invisible), 1,973 guests, and 344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 66 of 95 1 2 64 65 66 67 68 94 95
B
B
How can I know if the USB on the LX7 can be used for WiFi\Bluetooth Adapters? The manual doesn't mention that. (And I see that the manuals for the previous series specifically mention the WiFi adapters)
I really want to be able to control it one of these two ways.
Where can I contact Roland support team?
If it isn't supported at the moment, I hope that they will add this support somewhen... seems really reasonable to do so.

@roytheboy - Your'e using the USB to transfer MIDI? Do you need to set something in order to do so? (I guess that it should work with Android as well, right?)

Thanks

Last edited by barakbk; 03/05/16 07:25 PM.
JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by barakbk
How can I know if the USB on the LX7 can be used for WiFi\Bluetooth Adapters? The manual doesn't mention that. (And I see that the manuals for the previous series specifically mention the WiFi adapters)
Thanks

I'm 99.99999% sure that the Wifi stick is NOT supported on this series. The bluetooth restriction is region dependent, and there's no real way around it. Either way the USB Port is for USB Memory sticks, and it doesn't support the Wifi dongle for sure. I have one here and just tried it out on the LX-7 I have to be sure.

There are several disclaimers on our websites explaining the regional restrictions.

Jay

Industry Consultant
B
B
Originally Posted by Jay Roland
Thanks

I'm 99.99999% sure that the Wifi stick is NOT supported on this series. The bluetooth restriction is region dependent, and there's no real way around it. Either way the USB Port is for USB Memory sticks, and it doesn't support the Wifi dongle for sure. I have one here and just tried it out on the LX-7 I have to be sure.

There are several disclaimers on our websites explaining the regional restrictions.

Jay

Yes, I've read these disclaimers and I was told so by the retailer's people. (Which, by the way, told me that the WiFi dongles should work)
However, I think that it should easily be possible to add compatibility with WiFi sticks (or even Bluetooth ones) in the next firmware updates.
Is this something that can be considered, or atleast added to the "wishlist"? (Legal-wise as well)

Regarding Piano Designer - I guess that it should be usable with the second USB port (with an adapter to the Android Mobile), am I correct?

And thanks!

JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks

Jay

Yes, I've read these disclaimers and I was told so by the retailer's people. (Which, by the way, told me that the WiFi dongles should work)
However, I think that it should easily be possible to add compatibility with WiFi sticks (or even Bluetooth ones) in the next firmware updates.
Is this something that can be considered, or atleast added to the "wishlist"? (Legal-wise as well)

Regarding Piano Designer - I guess that it should be usable with the second USB port (with an adapter to the Android Mobile), am I correct?

And thanks!

It's hardware, not software that will dictate that capability.

The problem there is that a Wifi or Bluetooth dongle both require power. I don't know if the hardware is even installed to provide the power required through that USB port.

On these pianos that port is a reader/writer. Not a power source.

I don't think a firmware update could add that capability at all.

I've never tried a wired connection with Piano Designer. And don't have a camera connection kit here to even try it out on my iPad. So i can't tell you for sure if that will work.

I'm sorry your retailer got it wrong.

Jay

Industry Consultant
@roytheboy - Your'e using the USB to transfer MIDI? Do you need to set something in order to do so? (I guess that it should work with Android as well, right?)

The LX/HP pianos have a USB 2.0 B socket, through which is output MIDI data. This is actually better in some respects than than using BT as it has no latency. What you connect it to is up to you, but standard MIDI data comes out of it. If you have an iPad, you can connect the device to the DP's socket using a USB 2.0 A to B lead, and an Apple lightning camera adapter.

I don't have an Android device, but for sure it will depend on the particular device you have and what interfaces it is equipped with. Obviously you will also need an app that is capable of recognising MIDI data. On the iPad this includes GarageBand and Roland's Piano Designer app.

I know you are disappointed about the radio transmission regs and laws in your country (which is what Roland has to abide with), but a lack of BT is, as I said before, not the end of the world.

[edit: correct name of Roland app.]

Last edited by roytheboy; 03/05/16 07:55 PM.
barakbk - it's just taken me 30 seconds to find this 2012 article about an Android equivalent to Apple's camera connection kit, so I'm sure by now, three years later, that you will probably be spoilt for choice if you Google what's available for whatever tablet or phone you have > http://www.cnet.com/how-to/clever-adapter-connects-usb-accessories-to-your-android-device/

B
B
Actually I found the Piano Designer's PDF, and it says that it is possible to connect with an Android smartphone\tablet using a USB type A to B connector.
I don't have one for trying, but I will purchase one, as it seems that it should work.

In any case, I wonder how can I forward request to the developers, such as new feature requests.

JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
In any case, I wonder how can I forward request to the developers, such as new feature requests.

That will go through your local branch of Roland. That's the best way.

Jay

Industry Consultant
JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Actually I found the Piano Designer's PDF, and it says that it is possible to connect with an Android smartphone\tablet using a USB type A to B connector.
I don't have one for trying, but I will purchase one, as it seems that it should work.

Curiousity got the best of me, so I ran out and got a camera connection kit. I Can confirm that a USB A/B Cable and the camera connection kit, allow the Piano Designer app to be used on my old iPad using a wired connection.

Hope this helps.

Jay

Industry Consultant
B
B
Did it work out-of-the-box? (Without changing any configurations or doing anything special?)
I tried it with my Galaxy S6, and it didn't seem to work. (I think that it's the cable's fault though...)
I can't wait to try out the two presets available at the moment!

In any case, thank you! smile

JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Did it work out-of-the-box? (Without changing any configurations or doing anything special?)
I tried it with my Galaxy S6, and it didn't seem to work. (I think that it's the cable's fault though...)

I didn't do any special configuration. I'm on iOS though.

Plug and play with a really old (2 I think) iPad.

Jay

Industry Consultant
B
B

I didn't do any special configuration. I'm on iOS though.

Plug and play with a really old (2 I think) iPad.

Jay

I can confirm that it works with Android as well. Finally got this application working!
Turns out I bought a faulty USB OTG cable...

In any case, I've also updated the firmware version and only found v1.5 in the web, while I recall reading that some people have v1.7. Is this region specific or something like that?

Last edited by barakbk; 03/09/16 09:30 AM.
Possible to do MIDI stuff w/ the LX-17 and a Macbook over bluetooth?

I have a 2013-era (I think) Macbook Pro, and couldn't manage to have it 'see' the LX-17 Bluetooth, even with the BT "Midi + pg" or whatnot icon is showing on the piano (and I've been able to pair the piano with my Nexus 6P phone).

I've verified that my Macbook does support Bluetooth 4.0 (LE).

Last edited by ThatAdamGuy; 03/10/16 12:41 AM.

My music stuff (from my days before I became a lapsed hobbyist-pianist/composer)
JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I made the pair with my Macbook Pro no problem. Both Audio and MIDI/PageTurn were connected.

But have to ask what you want to do with MIDI?

The Audio stuff worked great for me. But I don't really have any apps that would use a bluetooth MIDI connection.

In my experience, latency with Bluetooth MIDI still leaves it as not quite where I'd like it for day to day use.

Jay

Industry Consultant
Ah, interesting! I wonder why my Macbook couldn't see the piano. I'll try the old standby of rebooting smile.

re what I wanted to do... was gonna try messing around with Garage Band and maybe a more robust DAW.

But that's a good reminder re latency over BT. Given that, I'm probably just better off dealing with cable.

Anyway, thanks for the quick response!

My music stuff (from my days before I became a lapsed hobbyist-pianist/composer)
J
J
I'm an owner of an HP605 since a few weeks back. Was choosing between CLP575 and HP605. First off i was close to settling on the clp, but steered toward the hp605 after several hours of playing. I think it was mainly the clearness in the tone of the HP that helped me make my decision. The Yamaha sounds a bit more muffled in my ears, although the bass is clearly heavier in the clp. Another important aspect in my decision making was the Pianodesigner feature. My first impression of the Roland was that the attack part of the tone sounded a little metallic and including a metallic "zing" sound in some of the keys, especially in the middle register, but also in the bass. Using the pianodesigner i was able to correct some of these unpleasant sounds, and i thought if i would just give it some more time i would be able to fine tune and create a piano that i would truly enjoy. I also preferred the touch in the Roland, a bit lighter than the Yamaha and with a more apparent escapement feature. So i went for the HP605.

Since i started playing the HP605 i have tuned the piano sound to fit my preference as far as possible using the tools available in the piano. I like the sound in many aspects but i still can't shake that metallic "zing" sound in the attack part, only audible in certain tones. This sounds like a badly tuned acoustic piano would in my ears, and i don't see why this has to be present considering that the sound is fully modelled. There is also a less frequent whistling sound in some of the bass notes that sounds really artificial. Anyone else been experiencing this?

It also became apparent that F4 made the settings button plastic panel above the keys resonate and make a buzzing sound. Obviously not part of the digital sound image (not audible with headphone) and for this i've sent my piano back to Roland for service.

When it comes to the sustain and resonance the Roland sounds beautiful and far superior to the Yamaha IMHO.

Another detail that's been bothering me is that the blue LED light from the bluetooth symbol shines down on the key beneath it, a D i think, when being pressed down. This is very distracting, and it doesn't help covering the settings panel with the lid. Feels like such an unnecessary detail to leave behind on Rolands part. Does anyone recognize this or should i notice Roland about this as well?

S
S
Originally Posted by Jakob HJ
I'm an owner of an HP605 since a few weeks back. Was choosing between CLP575 and HP605. First off i was close to settling on the clp, but steered toward the hp605 after several hours of playing. I think it was mainly the clearness in the tone of the HP that helped me make my decision. The Yamaha sounds a bit more muffled in my ears, although the bass is clearly heavier in the clp. Another important aspect in my decision making was the Pianodesigner feature. My first impression of the Roland was that the attack part of the tone sounded a little metallic and including a metallic "zing" sound in some of the keys, especially in the middle register, but also in the bass. Using the pianodesigner i was able to correct some of these unpleasant sounds, and i thought if i would just give it some more time i would be able to fine tune and create a piano that i would truly enjoy. I also preferred the touch in the Roland, a bit lighter than the Yamaha and with a more apparent escapement feature. So i went for the HP605.

Since i started playing the HP605 i have tuned the piano sound to fit my preference as far as possible using the tools available in the piano. I like the sound in many aspects but i still can't shake that metallic "zing" sound in the attack part, only audible in certain tones. This sounds like a badly tuned acoustic piano would in my ears, and i don't see why this has to be present considering that the sound is fully modelled. There is also a less frequent whistling sound in some of the bass notes that sounds really artificial. Anyone else been experiencing this?

It also became apparent that F4 made the settings button plastic panel above the keys resonate and make a buzzing sound. Obviously not part of the digital sound image (not audible with headphone) and for this i've sent my piano back to Roland for service.

When it comes to the sustain and resonance the Roland sounds beautiful and far superior to the Yamaha IMHO.

Another detail that's been bothering me is that the blue LED light from the bluetooth symbol shines down on the key beneath it, a D i think, when being pressed down. This is very distracting, and it doesn't help covering the settings panel with the lid. Feels like such an unnecessary detail to leave behind on Rolands part. Does anyone recognize this or should i notice Roland about this as well?

I haven't noticed the other issues, but 100% concur on the issue that the panel and lcd display lights create, I find them distracting too, particularly (as you said) when pressing certain keys, as then the light glows down onto the depressed key more than when it's not pressed. I'd like Roland to implement a key combo that can be used to toggle on/off *all* the lights and lcd display (I'd suggest that if adding such a toggle, making it so that switching the piano off and on again would also restore the lights to normal i.e. on, in case a user accidentally toggled them off and didn't know - just a precaution to keep it user friendly and foolproof).

I recall a few others have mentioned the distraction caused by lights earlier in the thread, so we're certainly not alone in having it as one of our peeves smile

B
B
Is there any place containing user configurations for the Piano Designer settings? Or just the two\four official Roland presets?
As an inexperienced player I am really interested in how people tune their own LX\HP pianos... (Especially ones who use the single-note tuning)
So far I've only been using the lid configurations, and some of the resonance ones. (And it's quite nice!)

M
M
I thank you for your comments Fer De Armas. And I especially thank you to have repeated them on this particular thread; otherwise, I would have not had the occasion of reading them.

EssBrace's comments against you were wrong! He must have slept badly the night before when he made them! At least, I hope that is the only reason!

Originally Posted by Fer De Armas
Sorry...! but all is very simple, stop worrying about my views and I would suggest to you too (to stop being irritated), stop reading my comments... End of Story...!

JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MichaelIsGreat
I thank you for your comments Fer De Armas. And I especially thank you to have repeated them on this particular thread; otherwise, I would have not had the occasion of reading them.

EssBrace's comments against you were wrong! He must have slept badly the night before when he made them! At least, I hope that is the only reason

No...I doubt that he slept badly....

The repeated assertion of opinion as fact. Forsaking all others for the sake of Kawai. Bot like behaviour, and posting the same thing incessantly on thread after thread after thread. Even on threads with nothing to do with anything Kawai.

I won't speak for EssBrace but I believe those to be his reasons for the comments directed towards Fer.

Jay

Industry Consultant
Page 66 of 95 1 2 64 65 66 67 68 94 95

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission