2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
88 members (Andrew E., astrotoy, Ben T., Alex Hutor, anotherscott, Abdol, An Old Square, 20 invisible), 874 guests, and 499 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I need to find a knowledgable technician who can let me know how easy this is to repair.

It looks like the movers had never disassembled a Disklavier before (I didn't know any better than to tell them otherwise, I was a first-time Disklavier purchaser), and tried to remove this connection with a wrench rather than unscrewing the four screws holding the connector on to the unit.

[img]http://imgur.com/OfooO36[/img]

[img]http://imgur.com/RgB5nvb[/img]

Suppose those four screws get removed, can the wires be easily resoldered on to the connector if you know the pinout? Can I have a licensed Yamaha technician do this repair?

I am going to hold the movers or seller liable for these costs, just want to get an idea what they will be.

Thanks

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
This is not my area of expertise, but it looks like too many small, shielded wires in a small area and too close to the connection to have it repaired. I think you'll need a new cable.

Start by calling Yamaha. I'm sure you're not the first customer to have this issue. Have your piano's serial number ready when you call.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks PianoWorksATL.

Just had a go at removing those little screws you can see holding the connector on to the piano in the second pic, and amazingly there are wires soldered on to the inside of the connector leading into the piano as well.

I'd have to say of all parties involved I'd blame Yamaha the most for the design, the movers were complaining about the cable connector seeming cemented on to the piano connector where the larger outer clasping washer holds them together. I think they disconnected from the smaller inner one which is the one that exposes the wires.

I don't even understand yet how this procedure is supposed to be correctly done. Maybe after disconnection, the pedals are supposed to be strapped under the piano at a right angle rather than try to remove entirely.

Yamaha really made the lives of movers moving Disklaviers pretty miserable. Maybe I can get Yamaha to cover the servicing free of charge given the conclusions I am beginning to form.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kcoul058
Yamaha really made the lives of movers moving Disklaviers pretty miserable. Maybe I can get Yamaha to cover the servicing free of charge given the conclusions I am beginning to form.
I've personally moved many of these, and I do not feel this way. As far as player pianos go, it's easy to work around with the right experience.

It is possible that the metal connector seized in place, making it not turn easily, but that is due to environment, moreso than design. When the connector is unscrewed, it is easily removed before the pedals are removed. Even the control box is just a few screws and 2 connectors. I wasn't there, but I think the movers should have asked more questions when they first saw a problem.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Hi KCoules,

We repair a few clavinovas a year here at our repair shop. We're Yamaha authorized and we do see plenty of Motif, S/P series and the like but not so many clavs because they're so damn big to haul in and we don't do in-home service. Our keyboard tech looked at your pictures and here's what he had to say. First, it isn't the four screws. If you pulled those you probably would have been dealing with solder points on the board but it's possible theres a connector under there but he doubts it and say's that connector is not what he's used to seeing. When these are carried into our shop they are usually brought in without the base and those clients got the pedals off with out mangling the cable but then again they had the easy part of pulling the connector from under the keyboard slab. On the pedal side, it either should have been at the knurled knob underneath where your connector broke or the black rectangular part has a a male and female ends that slide apart. That knurled ring may have been cross threaded so when they cranked on it with the pliers they broke it instead.

It could be resoldered but you probably need a new end. At our shop it would be at least $55. I would follow Sam's advice to call Yamaha and get a replacement of the whole cable. Hopefully it doesn't need to be attached/soldered to the board. Yamaha may not sell it to you if they don't deem it an accessory or a user replaceable part in which case you have to go through a shop or a dealer.

I wish I had more specifics but we only have the two photos so I've had to rely on a lot of "usually" and "probably". As far as who's responsible, I'm going to venture that it's who ever decided to crank on it with pliers or a wrench. There's damn few audio or small current electrical connectors that need a wrench to come apart.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I think you are both right, PianoWorksATL and Kurt. Anyhow, the movers did accept liability once they saw the pictures.
A piano owner need not be personally responsible for understanding how this procedure is done, nor could I have done much to help.

It's possible that during a previous move the attachment was not threaded correctly on installation. That would explain why the correct connection point to unscrew was not able to be unscrewed.

So now I have contacted Yamaha about repair and hopefully this can be done by ordering new parts and installing on-site.

It'll just mean for me a delay before the Disklavier is fully functional, but I suppose that for the bargain the piano was bought for it was a small price to pay for an issue where at least after installing the new parts it will be easily unscrewable by hand once again.

Appreciate all the insights received in this thread.

Last edited by kcoul058; 03/05/16 07:21 PM.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
MP11se / CA79 / CA99 - Ex-classic pianist
by srodrigo - 12/07/21 02:56 PM
Got an NU1X. First impressions.
by total_beginner - 12/07/21 01:50 PM
What piano was used on Spirited Away soundtrack?
by An Old Square - 12/07/21 12:32 PM
Working while pregnant
by Elsbels - 12/07/21 07:41 AM
Improve sound of Casiotone CT-S1
by Charline - 12/07/21 07:28 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,428
Posts3,151,216
Members103,550
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission