2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hi all,

It's been a year since I'm a happy CA97 user.

I had to move it once cause I changed my city, it was quite a hassle as I had to hire people to get it downstairs, "fragile" transport, of course looked for a flat with a lift big enough to fit it in, and again hire people to get it to my place etc. Not a nice experience.

Now I'm most likely to move again and I'm afraid the same story will repeat itself, so I put it up for sale and now it seems I have a serious buyer around here.

I'd like to get something else instead, but not quite sure what. I've got the full bundle of PTQ5 pro for more than a year now and I'm loving it more and more (currently through my CA97 speakers), so I thought a nice MIDI controller should do the job for now since I also own a couple nice monitors with their stands.

I'm aware of the VPC as Kawai's flagship in this area but I'm not confortable with the idea of downgrading the keybed action within the same brand (psycho factor), so I started thinking of another alternatives like the SL88 Grand (quite convincing on paper), the Roland A88 (very good reviews for little money), or even some stage pianos like the Casio PX560, Roland RD800 or Nord Piano 3 (not really interested on sounds, but rather on key action and nice integration with PTQ). I'm not mentioning all brands here but I've been researching quite a lot on the specifications/price side.

I'm pretty flexible since I'm almost sure I wont get anything as nice as the GF2, so at this point price/quality ratio will be considerably regarded.

Any comments, experiences or advices other than "go try yourself" will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long text.

P85>Kawai CA97>Numa X GT>FP90x>LX706
Pianoteq 8 Pro
http://youtube.com/DavidIzquierdoAzzouz
H
H
If you want the GF2 keybed but don't need the soundboard speaker of the CA97 then the CA67 comes apart for easy removal (as it does not have the fixed soundboard).

Otherwise the MP11 has the original GF action (which is still very good). It also has the advantages of loads of great sounds to play with and you can buy a flight case for moving - just stick it in and it can get put on any truck in just the same way as gigging musicians do.

Alternatively, compare the money you get for your CA97 selling secondhand plus a new one versus the removal cost.

If they are similar then you don't really lose out!

E.g. If you can get $3000 selling secondhand and it costs $5000 to get a new one then you need to compare the $2000 difference with what a piano company charges you for the removal. If it is close to $2000 you are at the same price to sell and buy again as if you pay for the removal of your existing one :-)

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Hi, IMHO the only digital piano that I would look for the quality of their key action after the MP11 and VPC1, is the Kawai MP7. Regards.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello David,

I'm sorry to read that you are considering replacing your CA97, however I can appreciate that the size and bulkiness of the instrument can be awkward for individuals who move regularly.

While there are currently no Kawai 'slab-type' instruments that feature the same Grand Feel II action as the CA97/CA67, the MP11's original Grand Feel action is still exceptionally good, and undoubtedly the best available in a portable instrument. If you do not wish to pay for the built-in sounds and additional features of the MP11, the VPC1 is the natural choice, and arguably recommended for Pianoteq players. True, the RM3 Grand II key length and key pivot length is shorter than Grand Feel/Grand Feel II, however I believe this action is still far superior to any of the alternatives that you list.

Best of luck with your decision.

Cheers,
James
x

ps. Thanks for commenting on the old YouTube video the other day too! wink

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
OP Offline
Thank you all for the responses.

Originally Posted by hughconway

Alternatively, compare the money you get for your CA97 selling secondhand plus a new one versus the removal cost.

Totally sensefull.

Originally Posted by Kawai James
the VPC1 is the natural choice, and arguably recommended for Pianoteq players.
ps. Thanks for commenting on the old YouTube video the other day too! wink

I'm getting more and more convinced about that, I just wonder how does the SL88 compare to it since the last is equiped with the best keybed Fatar has to offer while the VPC1 isn't..

PD. Nothing to thank, really enjoyed it wink

P85>Kawai CA97>Numa X GT>FP90x>LX706
Pianoteq 8 Pro
http://youtube.com/DavidIzquierdoAzzouz

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission