2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
81 members (antune, AJB, 0day, accordeur, 5stringbanjo, 17 invisible), 682 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2512796 02/20/16 08:45 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Dear my piano forum friends,

I really wish to hear your advice.

I'm an adult beginner and now I'm already a mature learner. Though my road of taking lessons was not a smooth one, I've already taken lessons for 21 years. So, no matter what, I'm not talented at all, but I think you can understand how much I love this instrument by merely looking at the duration of 21 years.

I came across many teachers. In my area, when you take lessons in a piano shop, it's very likely that the shop will assign different teachers to you sometimes.

To cut the long story short, I wish to hear your advice about my present situation.

I've studied with my present teacher for four years (private lessons). His teaching skills are good, however, over the years I've been troubled by his 15-minute habit and cancellation of lessons by very short notice. Recently, I really don't want to tolerate again, but the problem is that it's difficult to find a good teacher here.

My teacher changed my lesson time very often (usually more than twice each month). Sometimes he told me by text message to start my lesson 10 or 15 minutes (or one to two hours)earlier or later, sometimes he cancelled my lessons two hours or several hours before my lesson time by text message. About cancellation, the reasons were "Sorry I'm sick today, sorry I need to have birthday dinner with my mom tonight, sorry I need to have birthday dinner with my dad tonight/ tomorrow, sorry I need to attend a gathering tonight, sorry I need to attend a meeting tonight..."

I expressed my view that it would be much better if he could give me a longer notice, however, the situation remained more or less the same.

My lessons should be one hour long, but on more than 10 occasions he said at the 45th minute of my lesson that he couldn't make it a full hour because of something urgent and he said he would give me back the 15 minutes next time. However, he never did.

The same thing happened again and finally I told him that he had not yet given back those 15 minutes on several occasions. He said "sorry for my absent mind". Finally he just make up the 15 minutes once.

Several months ago, at the 50th minute of my lesson he said the call of nature called him urgently and he could not give me a full hour. So I left at once as I guessed diarhhea would cause much embarrassment.

Again, regrettably, I couldn't get back the 10 minutes.

What happened last week really challenged my level of tolerance. Three weeks ago at the 45th minute of my lesson he said he had to dine with his family and therefore he couldn't finish the full hour. Again, he said he would make up the 15 minutes next lesson. Once again, he cancelled that next lesson at a short notice. That's not the key point. Here it is:

One day before another next lesson I sent him a text message and asked him if I could resume my lesson as usual at 7:00 p.m. and have the previous 15 minutes back so that the coming lesson time would be 75 minutes long. He replied "Yes".

God knows at 6:55 p.m. the next day when I was near his studio he texted me saying that he was somewhere and would be late for 10 - 15 minutes.

I thought my lesson time would still be 75 minutes long though he was late. God knows he only gave me 55 minutes and said he could not give me back the 15 minutes this time, and as usual he said he would give me back the 15 minutes next time.

That's enough!!!!!!!

It's hard to find a good teacher in my area. A lot of piano teachers here just speak (instead of play) when they teach. Even if they play, it's rare. This 15-minute teacher (let me call him Mr. 15 Minutes) demonstrates to me how to play every lesson and I could really get something in the past four years. However, I really don't want to put up with all these 15 minutes.

Could my piano friends here tell me what should I do?

Quit?

Thank you very much for reading this lengthy message. I look forward to hearing from you.

Help !!!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Piano Valentine #2512817 02/20/16 09:33 AM
E
E
Not an easy question - just because, as you say, it will not be easy to find another teacher. However, I feel your current teacher has a very neglegtful attitude towards you, who are after all his customer. It is easy to advise you to quit this teacher, but maybe you should look for another teacher before? Anyway, I hope your situation gets better! Because what you describe is really untolerable.

Piano Valentine #2512835 02/20/16 10:16 AM
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Oh, what a story! That is not a nice position to be in!

My daughter and I am on a 30m session (each) at the moment and I think there is good progress. What would happen if you offer to switch to 45m, of course with a 25% price cut?

You do not pay for the lessons that he cancels, right?

What would happen if you offer to increase his price per minute, but build in a penalty for no-show, like my dentist (here, a lot of dentists had started to charge a no-show fee; you need to cancel 24h in advance)? No more "I will make it up", but simply cut the fees. He can earn back the money with giving you an extra lesson here or there.

Kawai CN35. Daughter wanted a piano, so we got one. Now who'll learn faster? ;-)
Piano Valentine #2512864 02/20/16 11:41 AM
P
P
Dear Piano Valentine

I find this teacher's behaviour absolutely unacceptable - and I'm saying this with almost 30 years of teaching piano myself. Being a teacher isn't limited to knowing how to play piano, in my opinion it also includes being professional concerning being on time, teaching full lessons, making cancellations not at the last moment etc. Of course, even the most professional teacher can get into a situation when he or she is too late or has to cut short a lesson or has to cancel at the last minute, but these things should be rare ecceptions.

After all, you have talked to this teacher several times about this. Does he do this only to you or also to his other students? This might be interesting to know.

I think you should quit the fastest possible. Your teacher doesn't seem to respect you - in my eyes, respect is the foundation for a good student-teacher relationship. Just a few days ago, there was an animated discussion about Skype teaching. I'm not so enthusiastic about it myself, but it might be the solution to your problem.

Good luck!

The piano keys are black and white,
But they sound like a million colours in your mind.
(Katie Melua)
Piano Valentine #2512919 02/20/16 01:50 PM
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Valentine, it's not clear from your story if you study with this fellow through a music store or music school. If you do, then you have some clout to deal with this problem. Just explain what's going on to the store manager or music school director, and explain politely that you would like a refund of 25% for the past - let's say - one year of tuition, on the simple basis that you didn't receive it.

You won't get a refund, of course, but the store or school will get after this fellow pronto.

But in the bigger picture, it is clear that your teacher is not a committed teacher. Or not committed to you. He's putting in his time. But he's not even doing that.

It's time for another teacher. This relationship has run its course, despite the good teaching he has imparted over the 4 years. He's far from all bad, but it's time to move on. You'll find a better teacher.

Piano Valentine #2513021 02/20/16 08:34 PM
S
S
I was in a similar situation with my former piano teacher. It is a frustrating and sad experience when someone you trusted to be your teacher does not honor their agreements.

They may have been professional in the beginning and the issues that you describe were not a problem.

When I read your post, I felt compassion for you. Not all piano teachers would do the type of behaviors you describe.

The ones who do have no business in the profession.

I found another teacher and I advise you to do the same when you are ready. Don't give up.

Piano Valentine #2513107 02/21/16 01:47 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Dear my piano friends,

Thank you very much for spending your time writing me your advice. I really wish to hear what teachers would say and that's why I left a message here in addition to the main forum page. Here is what I wrote on the main forum page and I would like to copy and paste here:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear my piano friends,

Thank you soooo very very much for all your advice. It's so kind and generous of you to give me so much practical and honest advice. Thank you very much for your humorous and true remarks. My BIG THANKS for all of you from the bottom of my heart.

Last night I went to sleep with frustration and worries. Today I woke up and felt a bit better. I turned on my computer and so many sincere replies from all of you gave me a big big surprise.

First of all, I wish to let you know I've already made up my mind - I'm going to quit fast.

Now let me tell you my history of piano learning.

I'm now in my late 40s. I fell in love with this amazing instrument at the first sight when I was a kindergarten kid. In my generation only those from wealthy families could take piano lessons and naturally I was not qualified.

I started my first piano lesson right after my graduation in my early 20s. Initially I didn't have a piano. I rented a practice room on an hourly basis at a piano shop near my home. Initially I didn't know if I should buy one because my home was small and many people around me were saying that adult piano learners couldn't get to anywhere as it was too late to learn (however, when I look back, actually all those who said so had never taken any piano or music instrument lessons).

I first took piano lessons at the piano shop that I rented a practice room. I remember I came across several teachers there. It's the easiest time in the first six months. The homework was easy to me. The joy of the first taste of playing the piano with both hands simultaneous is still so fresh and so deep on my mind. And then the homework was still so easy to me. I enjoyed learning and playing Minuet No. 1 in the First Lessons in Bach Book One (So ~ Do Re Me Fa So ~ Do~ Do.......) Everything went smoothly. And then my aunt introduced a good teacher to me. I was still a beginner but I made much progress. I always remember this nice teacher and it was really my big luck. Her memory was like a computer. She sometimes asked me what piano music I liked. I sang the melodies and she could play some sections to me (e.g. Chopin nocturnes). I took lessons in her apartment. She didn't live there. It was just for giving piano lessons. Her antique Yamaha grand piano (in brown) was in the middle of the living room and each bedroom got one upright piano. There were a total of four pianos in her apartment. When I arrived a few minutes earlier or the student before my lesson time was still there when time's up, she sent me to one of the upright piano so that I could practise for a few minutes.

At that time I misunderstood that I would be able to play a lot of Chopin and Beethoven's Sonata Op.111 one day in my life. After about a year of happy lessons there, bad news. My wonderful teacher would migrate to Canada.

Aha, forgot to tell you. I live in Hong Kong.

I felt so upset. I expected that I would continue to come across teachers who seldom demonstrated anything before me. God knows... it was really the case afterwards.

Here in my area, as far as I experienced, most piano teachers didn't even demonstrate a few lines. When they demonstrated, usually they only played the right hand or the left hand parts, but not both hands, let alone an entire piece. When I could see my piano teachers play, it was just limited to those very elementary songs.

I started to take lessons in 1990 and intended to stop forever in 2007. Between 1990 and 2007 (17 years) I paused two times (every time it lasted for about two years) because my work was too busy. For a very long time I was so frustrated because I didn't even know what I was playing. Anyway, I went back to take lessons when my time allowed. In 2005 my teacher started to teach me ABRSM Grade 7 pieces. Then I took Grade 7 exam in 2007. In one and a half years, every lesson, that teacher only taught me the exam things. So boring. I found it hard plus boring. Sadly, it was like a mess. I failed in the exam.

I started to consider seriously if I should never take lessons again. I said to myself I didn't know why I was so stupid. After a total of 13 years of lessons, it turned out that Grade 7... I couldn't make it!

I thought my abilty couldn't allow me to get anything beyond that. I asked myself, "Adult beginners really can't get anywhere? I was just day dreaming...?"

Before I could have my first piano lesson, I had my own ways to enjoy piano music. I had no money to buy cassette tapes when I was small but I had a radio and I could see my music teachers play the piano in my school days. And then when I had a job as an adult I had my CD player and CDs. So I listened to a lot of piano music no matter when I was in school or after I got a full-time job.

In 2007 I decided not to take lessons again after I got the Grade 7 result slip, but my nice colleague felt sad about my decision. She said, "Please don't! You love this instrument so much. Please don't give up! The piano teacher of my son is very good. He teaches at the keyboard faculty of a university here. Let me consult him on your behalf first. Please wait ..."

The teacher of his son wanted to have a word with me. Then we talked over the phone for half an hour. He said I should continue to take lessons as long as I still loved the piano. He told me not to be defeated by just an exam. He said that long long ago there was no piano exam in our world at all. He asked me, "Will you still love the piano if there is no piano exam now?"

Then he would like me to see me play before giving me any further comments. I went to his home (that's where he gave private lessons). I played and watched him play. We discussed together and it lasted for one hour. He didn't charge me anything for that hour even though I offered. He said I should continue. He told me to think about it. He said I was the only one who knew if I should continue or not. Finally I studied with this teacher for four years.

He taught me a lot. I felt like I was reborn. I went forward fast and tremendously. When I looked back, it turned out that I had wasted more than a decade.

At a later stage he elected to leave this profession and set up his own company. He started to do business and it's not related to music. Then he transferred me to my present teacher. My present teacher was his former student.

So here I am.

Let me give you an idea what I can/ could play. These are examples of some of my favorite songs:

~ Bach WTC BWV853 prelude and fugue
~ Bach Litte Fugues and Preludes BWV935
~ Brahms Intermezzo Op. 116 No. 4
~ Liszt Love Dreams No. 3 (but except Bar 25)
~ Chopin Prelude No. 15
~ Chopin Nocturne Op. 9 No. 1
~ Rachmaninoff C sharp minor

I'll continue to love my piano music. I do know the love will never be changed.

It's a good idea, this time I had better give myself a break, continue to practise and polish without a teacher. I know nothing about online learning, but I will give myself a chance by looking for some information and perhaps look for another teacher later.

Once again, thank you very much my dear piano friends here. Your comments mean a lot to me.

Aha, forgot to tell you. I'm taking private lessons. In my area usually we don't sign any contract unless you take lessons in a piano shop/ company. My present teacher has no cancellation/ make-up class policy. However, I seldom cancelled lessons. Over the four years I only called suddenly to cancel (on one occasion I was sick and on another occasion I needed to work overtime). Apart from the above two times I only cancelled lessons when I was out of town, but every time I give him a one month notice. Every time I wrote the dates down on a piece of paper and gave it to to him so as to avoid misunderstanding. I was out of town once or twice a year, every time I needed to cancel one or two lessons.

As he could teach me something, I respected him. I foolishly brought him special Christmas gifts (e.g. piano-shaped chocolates). I even foolishly wrapped my tuition fees in a handmade envelop every four lessons (here the usual practice is paying four lessons each time). I paid him $ for four lessons in each first lesson. I feel that he is a piano lover. So every time I download piano comics and print it out and fold a handmade envelop and put money inside to share piano humour with him. He said his friends found my envelops marvellous when he showed them on Facebook. Apart from the above, I brought him gifts after my Japan piano factory tours. I went there twice. Now, when I look back. Perhaps it was my fault. Perhaps my kindness and stupidity gave him a false signal and hence fostered his unreasonable behavior.

My friend is also an adult beginner. I started to tell her my frustration about one or two years ago. She said, "If I were you, I'm sure I would either automatically deduct the 15-minite money or accumulate four 15 minutes and ask him to give me back one lesson for free."

Now I'm blaming myself. At that time I felt that my friend's suggestion was wise and perfectly reasonable, but I foolishly wondered if it was too mean or too harsh. Money is not my paramount concern, though I'm just an ordinary small citizen. I already started late and I spent/ wasted over a decade on ridiculous lessons, so time and lesson quality are my first priority. I tried to convince myself to turn a blind eye on tuition fees, but now I stronly feel that his behavior is already beyond money and tolerance. It's caused nuisance and anger. I just meant to share my piano joy with my teacher by giving him piano little things, but I end up being treated like that.

~~~ Sigh ~~~

~~~~~~~ Sigh again ~~~~~~~

Piano Valentine #2513117 02/21/16 02:43 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Dear Pianomouse,

Thank you very much for your advice.

I don't know if he's doing this to other students. I'm curious to know too.

By the way, the idea of taking masterclasses as a spectator just flashed across my mind. No matter what, my love for the piano will never fade away. I'll keep playing and learning.

Piano Valentine #2513151 02/21/16 07:17 AM
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I have a huge lump in my throat as I read this. It is unbearably sad. And I am so very very angry I am tired of piano teachers who can't or won't play for the students. I am tired of teachers who treat students like nothing more than paychecks. I am angry with teachers who rely so heavily on EXAMS ... in many cases because they're too lazy to tailor the classes to EACH individual. I am tired of parents who insist on recitals and exams and totally forget about the MAIN REASON we learn music ... because it is a joy. Unless you view it as a joy, then forget teaching ... and forget studying.

So when I read your post, I wish I could teleport myself straight to Hong Kong once a week for your lesson. Which would be an hour or probably more. And would not be cancelled. I feel heart ache for you because you obviously love your music so very much.

I can't believe any teacher would treat a student so badly. I was so regular with lessons that the one time I wasn't home and missed a lesson was an occasion when I was taken to the hospital. My student was so confident that I would never miss a lesson that she told her mother that "teacher is dead or in hospital". When I was brought home in the evening I promptly phoned the student who said " Oh I'm so glad you're alive. I guess you were in the hospital, right?" She was so accurate that we both laughed and it became a joke in my studio. A teacher should NOT miss lessons or change times ... unless they're in the hospital. NO other excuse short of a hearse on their doorstep.

Nor should age be a factor if you love music. My favorite student was over fifty when she came to me. As a child in Vietnam, there wasn't enough money for her to have lessons so she'd always hoped that when she became an adult, she could have them. She tried to escape during the war, twice ... but several years passed before she was able to immigrate. She took a job in a barber's shop on a military base here in Honolulu. And then signed up for lessons. She's been with me for over ten years ... we've become best friends. She loves classical music with a passion and sometimes phones to check out a phrase or passage. Which is fine with me. Sometimes when I hear her play a passage I am stunned by the beauty and joy she conveys ... stunned and humbled by the chance I had to share with her. We've even taped a few of her performances for You Tube ... which she shares with her friends and family.

My advice is to try a few months on your own. You've reached a fairly high level already. I wouldn't wasts a moment on exams, personally. I would concentrate on the easier classics and definitely use You Tube ... pick pieces you love and learn them slowly and carefully. Then compare with You Tube performances ( by skilled pianists ... ) I have quite a few pieces free for downloads on my happypianomuse blog. Each of them has a You Tube link so you can hear them. Most are perhaps a little too simple for you. But they make good practice pieces and each is accompanied by some tips and hints on how to play it.

Don't give up .... hang in there. I think you can probably go ahead on your own for a while. Use the online resources. There are so many. If I'd had You Tube many years ago, I would have learned a LOT faster. blush

Piano Valentine #2513448 02/22/16 12:03 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Dear Happy Piano Muse,

Thank you so much for your reply !

When I was reading your message at home, I let my tears roll down my face until they were willing to stop. I felt the pain deep in my heart, then I was relieved.

I read your message again and again. I don't know why, at that very moment I suddenly wanted to play Liszt Love Dream No. 3 and Schubert Impromptu Op. 90 No. 3 to comfort myself. It was years ago when I learned these two pieces. So now I can only play the first page of each song and I stop at the optimum point to make them sound like two complete little songs. Yesterday I played these two little songs many times consecutively.

After I calmed down, I read your message once again. "Teacher is dead or in hospital" made me burst out laughing, and "a hearse on their doorstep" as well.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha !!!

I'm going to take a rest first. I'm absolutely fed up with his frequent re-scheduling. I really have no more energy to deal with these. Up to now I still don't know why his mother's birthday, dad's birthday, church gatherings or urgent meetings and so on are my business. The most amazing urgent partial cancellation but no-compensation reason was his own 10-minute washroom time !

There are two lessons left. Now I just don't know if he'll ask me why I quit, and what I should tell him if he really asks.

My teacher never increased my fees over the past four years. Sometimes I wondered if he found it embarassing to increase my fees and that's why he swallowed my 15 minutes again and again. I can't read his mind but now I think perhaps it's not the reason. I really think it perfectly alright if he increased my fees according to inflation or something like that, but he did much more than the 15-minute things.

After a break and after I've got back enough energy, I'm going to try some months on my own. Thanks for your advice. I'll practise some of my dream pieces carefully and slowly. Perhaps I'll try to look for another teacher, but I'm not sure if I will/ if I can. Thank you so much for your kind offer of help. If only I could live near your studio.

Your Vietnamese student + best friend makes me think of Dang Thai Son. It's nice to hear about her piano stories.

I've visited your blog. Wow it's so big! There are many items, I must read them one by one. Easy pieces are not any problem. To me, I love both easy and difficult pieces as long as the melodies sound nice to me. Now I still go back to John Thompson Book One sometimes and enjoy the simple tunes. I want to learn more just because if I can play more difficult pieces, that means I can enjoy more songs. I'm not a diligent student, the strongest incentive to make this not-so-diligent adult learner practise is the melodies.

Anyway, I should move forward. After this break, I'm going to do one or some or all of the following things:

~ Take an elementary piano tuning course.
~ Take some masterclasses as a spectator.
~ Try some parts of Chopin Ballade No. 1 again. My present teacher knew it was one of my dream pieces and he said I could try part of it. It was a year or two ago that I finished about half of it. Then I went back to it on my own twice. The Youtube tuition given by Josh Wright has helped me a lot, particularly the much-slow-down demonstration of the last part. It turns out that this superb difficult part can be so beautiful and so different at such a low speed.
~ Take a short piano course at a music school in Europe or USA. I've never visited any music school and I wish to take a glance at what formal piano training is like.
~ Look for another teacher.
~ See if there will be any chance for me to visit a piano hammer factory.

Happy Piano Muse, thank you again. Thanks so much.

Piano Valentine #2513642 02/22/16 02:04 PM
S
S
Piano Valentine,

If you choose to go to your last two piano lessons, keep in mind the teacher may ask why you are leaving.

This is a difficult conversation to have with a person who lacks empathy. Your teacher was not thinking of your needs when they frequently rescheduled your piano lessons and cut your time short.

They may attempt to shift some of the blame to you. For example, the teacher may say, "I always try to make up your time later." or "Why can't you be more understanding, I wasn't feeling well."

It was your teacher's choice to not increase your fees. I doubt this is why they are shortening your lessons. More likely, the teacher was unconsciously or even knowingly testing your boundaries of what you would tolerate. They wanted to take off earlier and have freedom to change the schedule whenever it suited them. This is a red flag.

This didn't happen because you were friendly to your teacher. It really has nothing to do with what you did or didn't do. This is just who your teacher is. It doesn't mean they are all bad, but they have an emotional blindspot when it comes to the needs of others. You need a teacher who is professional and fair.

Please understand, that this next part is from my experience and you do not have to follow it: It may be easier for you to cut ties now and not bother with the last 2 lessons. You have valid reasons for feeling hurt and disappointed. It is unlikely the teacher will apologize. They may not think they have done anything wrong.

I wish you the best of luck in your future piano endeavors!

Piano Valentine #2513649 02/22/16 02:16 PM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I'm going to give the same advise I was given when I first posted here: Have you talked to your teacher directly?

Pretend you are a business person and your contractor only did 75% of what you paid him to do. What are your options? Fire, pay less, put responsibility on their shoulders.

Let him know that you are missing 15 minutes of each lesson every week and since he cannot make up the time you would like to reduce the rate - prorate the fee based on lesson time.

I would also stop the rescheduling or make sure that it works for you. Maybe simply saying, I'm sorry, the new time does not work for me, I'll see you next week at the regular time, since you are cancelling, there will be no lesson charge.

Change how you pay - maybe you pay for each lesson as it happens.

I am guessing you are a very sensitive person and maybe you do not like direct conflict. But challenge yourself to make this relationship get back on track if you desire to keep it. Make sure your final decision does not hurt your best interests.
If you decide to dissolve the relationship:
"I just don't know if he'll ask me why I quit, and what I should tell him if he really asks:"

You are paying for an hour lesson and you get 45 minutes instead, you are being cheated out of one lesson a month. I would be upset and tell the teacher exactly why you are letting them go. Practice with a friend: I want to tell you that this is our last lesson. I am unhappy because our hour lessons are not an hour and because of repeated last minute cancellations and time changes. I discussed this with you in January and it is still happening.

That is it! You don't need to say anymore.

(from a piano mom)

Piano Valentine #2513678 02/22/16 03:07 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
As a point of contrast. Years ago when studying another instrument, my teacher knew that I had a flexible schedule since I'm self-employed, and took advantage of it. He would phone me a couple of hours before my lesson to change the time, or the day before. He did not realize that I then had to contact my customers to tell them when I would be out, reorganize my timing for everything. One such time I arrived at the new time and my playing was garbage because I had not been able to prepare, and was in a muddle. I explained how the sudden changes affected me. He apologized immediately, saying that he had not realized, and offered a free lesson to make up for this one - AND made good on the offer.

The OP has repeatedly told her teacher of the problem, has received promises that were not kept, and nothing has changed.

Piano Valentine #2514222 02/23/16 09:59 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Dear piano-teacher friends,

Thank you so much for your support and thorough analysis, and reminding me that it'll be a difficult conversation. Thanks for telling me his possible response so I can make better preparation.

First of all, statistics time here. I've gone through my 2015 diary (2015 alone, a total of 12 months) and these are the facts of the case:

~ sudden change of time (10 minutes to a few hours later/ earlier): 14 times

~ cancellation: 8 times (though there is no written record, I remember almost all of them were cancelled on the same day. I clearly remember the shortest notice was one and a half hours, the longest notice was one day)

~ theft of 15 minutes: I don't have a written record, I vaguely remember it's around 4 or 5 times and he only gave me back one 15 minutes.

I don't need to pay for any cancelled lesson, but sudden cancellation really caused inconvenience.

I've also considered abandoning the last two lessons, but at this moment, I want to "resign" in person and hear what he would like to say. And then, if his response was nasty, it's no problem to forget about the last lesson.

Yes, I don't want direct conflict. In 2015 I already expressed my view to him in person and by whatsapp that I wanted a longer notice and to have my 15 minutes back. However and unfortunately, he was selectively blind and deaf. Every time he said sorry and then said OK, but that's just what he "said". I can never believe him again.

On one occasion it so happened that it was a public holiday. At 11:00 a.m. he texted me and said he would like to make the lesson time 2:00 p.m. today (it was supposed to be 7:00 p.m.). I said I couldn't appear at his studio so early and I could make it 7:00 p.m. as usual. Then he cancelled my lesson.

On another occasion he texted me at 5:30 p.m. (1.5 hours ahead of my lesson time) saying that he was not feeling so well, but he could make it if I was already on the way, otherwise he wished to cancel the lesson. I didn't want to disturb his rest and I agreed to skip that lesson.

On another occasion (another occasion again) at the end of that lesson he promised to give me back 15 minutes next time and told me to start my lesson 15 minutes earlier next week. God knows on my lesson day he texted me and told me to stick to the original 7:00 p.m. There was another student when I arrived. When it's my turn he explained to me that the previous student was going to take her diploma exam soon and she needed an extra lesson and that's why he couldn't give me back the 15 minutes. See ???!!!???

That's really enough !

Sometimes I think if he (a young guy in his early 30s I think) doesn't want to teach mature adults like me, but he could have found a way to say goodbye instead of making all these absurd gestures!

Anyway, that's absolutely enough. I must quit.

Piano Valentine #2514238 02/23/16 10:44 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Keystring, the attitude of your teacher is much much better.

Piano Valentine #2515054 02/26/16 11:21 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Not long after I started my penultimate lesson I told my teacher that I was going to quit and the next lesson would be my last lesson. He didn't ask anything. He just said (in my language it means) "good/ OK/ that's fine".

He didn't ask, I didn't say anything further and just continued with the lesson.

He taught as usual and I learned as usual. He even started a new piece and lent me a book of scores as usual. I'll take my final lesson next week and then I'll be free.

As he didn't ask anything, perhaps he had been waiting for me to say "quit".

No matter what, I feel much much much better now smile

Piano Valentine #2515090 02/26/16 01:38 PM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
That is great that you were able to tell him and that he reacted professionally.

Piano Valentine #2515250 02/26/16 09:43 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Yes, that's great smile

I didn't expect the conversations would be so short and so simple. I just spoke one sentence and he only spoke one word.

I thought he would ask me why, but he didn't and took as if nothing had happened.

I had practised at home with myself on how to explain why I had to quit, god knows he reacted by saying one word so fast that at that very moment I decided not to say anythingn further.

Piano Valentine #2516070 02/29/16 06:21 PM

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Good decision. You didn't need to waste anymore energy on the problem.

Good luck with finding your next teacher.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Piano Valentine #2517076 03/03/16 12:22 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
There were time of emergency that I have to cut short of my lesson time and deal with it, but I always give a refund partially for example 15 minutes or 30 minutes refund instead of a full refund.

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Schimmel Fortissimo 8, how much does it weigh?
by Pianokjop - 08/13/22 12:17 PM
Is a CPT necessary?
by Petoskeyguy - 08/13/22 11:07 AM
Yamaha clp 785 horrible chorus effect
by Chrisgilx - 08/13/22 10:51 AM
How are you learning?
by bennevis - 08/13/22 09:41 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,377
Posts3,215,997
Members106,078
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission